Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Yeah Dionysus and Poseidon are at least B. If you get the rupture + double proc + increased boss damage you can sleepwalk through the game even on high heat runs. Hangover doesn't scale well but with either the poison dash or festive fog you can keep it up on everything and with the +25% damage on afflicted enemies skill that goes a long way. Plus they both have some of the best duo boons in the game.

Ares and Aphrodite are both a little lackluster, it feels like they're both C-tier. I do enjoy weak as a mechanic if I'm rolling with fists but it's almost guaranteed to get replaced by the first stronger boon I pick up. Ares is really only good for Blade rift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
A lot of what you want to pick boon-wise will depend on your weapon. Picking up Dionysus' attack boon on something like Bow doesn't make sense since you're most likely shooting slowly, but having that on Rail or Fists is great because you can stack the debuffs very quickly.

It's easier and IMO better to rank the boons against boons of the same type rather than per god.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Buller posted:

Dude dionysis has the single strongest boon in the game. Trippy fog is insane. Try getting the Demeter or Zeus boon with it and you hardly even need to use your weapon.
Besides that he has the free nectar boon which is my most picked boon in the game. It gives you a free heart AND pom every time you pick up a nectar. Also his legendary is probably the strongest legendary in the game.

The free nectar boom feels really bad imho, you're basically trading a boon for a heart unless you get lucky. Nectars aren't really common enough that you'll get additional value out of it. But Dionysus is definitely a god where you can get stuck with that as the best boon you can get.

Ares was one of my favorite gods before the Demeter update, but Demeter is so OP that there seems to be less of a reason to try to high roll Ares.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Ares' Battle Rage boon is super awesome if you play high damage builds like with Hestia rail.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

WarpedLichen posted:

The free nectar boom feels really bad imho, you're basically trading a boon for a heart unless you get lucky. Nectars aren't really common enough that you'll get additional value out of it. But Dionysus is definitely a god where you can get stuck with that as the best boon you can get.

Ares was one of my favorite gods before the Demeter update, but Demeter is so OP that there seems to be less of a reason to try to high roll Ares.
You also usually see those boons in Elysium, where you're unlikely to get more Nectars. If I had a criticism, it'd be the boons that boost coins/darkness/nectar show up after you've already collected most of what you're going to collect. They really need to be retroactive to the beginning of the escape attempt.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Dionysus also got a really nice boon in the patch, where fountains heal you up to full (or close to it) and give you bonus damage every time to drink from one. Especially if you pick it up in Tartarus it can be competitive with Battle Rage later on, and even without that it takes a load off your mind by ensuring that you always walk into a new zone at your very best.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I like Ares' call

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Jossar posted:

Dionysus also got a really nice boon in the patch, where fountains heal you up to full (or close to it) and give you bonus damage every time to drink from one. Especially if you pick it up in Tartarus it can be competitive with Battle Rage later on, and even without that it takes a load off your mind by ensuring that you always walk into a new zone at your very best.

Oh I didn't realize the one after each boss counted. I thought it was only the random fountains you encountered and I was like, this is terrible.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I love Ares for the blade rifts, but doom really needs a rework. Fast weapons hate it because it doesn't proc fast enough, and slow weapons would rather have a percentage boon to capitalize on their massive base damage. I feel like it's only good on like, low damage AoE options. So like, Bow Secondary or Gun Secondary maybe? I don't know, it's basically my last pick every time.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Arzaac posted:

I love Ares for the blade rifts, but doom really needs a rework. Fast weapons hate it because it doesn't proc fast enough, and slow weapons would rather have a percentage boon to capitalize on their massive base damage. I feel like it's only good on like, low damage AoE options. So like, Bow Secondary or Gun Secondary maybe? I don't know, it's basically my last pick every time.

Yeah, it’s very good for Bow Secondary but that’s pretty much it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DNK posted:

C tier:

Poseidon - His dash is really powerful. It can essentially carry an entire run by itself regardless of what weapon you’re holding. If you can manage to hit 5-6 Poseidon boons then you’re playing Pinball, not Hades. His low ranking is due to the fact that pushback is often detrimental to many weapon playstyles and is almost entirely useless against the bosses. Another ding: his supporting boons are THE WORST!! more darkness? 50 darkness? Worthless! Get that crap outta here!!

Ares - Doom is usually trash and only picked up because your other preferred options didn’t come up. Base (cast) Blade Rifts are pretty bad... but they can get INSANE if you pick up 2+ supporting boons. The issue is that you either want 0 Ares or 5+ Ares, and that’s pretty difficult to control. His supporting boons, thankfully, are all pretty useful (more damage! Yay!)

Dionysius - First off: I love his cast. It requires absolutely no additional investment and it will seriously cripple any enemies it lands on (in addition to having great bass damage). The rest of his kit, though? Hangover is a weird mechanic that doesn’t scale well and his supporting boons almost exclusively focus on healing (with some damage reduction)

I love the poseidon pushback on shield, pinball is awesome with the shield. The crystal/rock boss kicked my rear end the first encounter but with shield it's easy to shove him in the corner and bully him to death so fast. I can see what you mean though, once you get to the lava level it's easy to pinball a monster into an area you can't reach safely. Not a big fan of the lava in general, tend to just constantly burn hp because of it and get more easily distracted/confused in a melee.

Doom seemed lovely so I've avoided it, I do enjoy the blade-dash on my current run since I have 3x dash, I can see the damage needing a lot of support though lol it's like 2 or something silly right now but it was fun to dash a triangle around Megan to do some light continuing damage while dodging her crap. What do you mean by wanting 0 or 5 of him?

Dionysius is my favourite guy to run into, just like his voice lines and attitude but yeah, hangover seems like a really mediocre DoT. His cast doe! That's a good party cloud and you can toss it when enemies are still warping in, I also unlocked multiple red shards recently and that it even better. Does it work on bosses, seems like it maybe worked on megan to some extent but there's a lot going on so I couldn't quite tell.

What is privilege... in the context of this game?

edit: oof, just realized you only get to have like, one or two of each power related to a specific aspect. just wasted a daedelus upgrading my dash or something and it bumped by most recent hermes boon to recover on dash. is that good anyway? Regain 30% hp if you dash after getting hitting, im very often dashing so i think it would be good? edit2: actually im pretty confused about this whole menu and system. what does clicking these abilities even do?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 27, 2020

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Khanstant posted:

What is privilege... in the context of this game?
Privileged Status is a mirror option that makes enemies take +20% extra damage as long as they have at least 2 Status Curses active.
Status Curses include: Weak, Ruptured, Hangover, Marked, Jolted, Exposed, Doom, and Chill.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
The Dionysus nectar boon isn't as bad as it looks, because if you have the enhanced nectar proc, it works on the nectar he gives you.
More health by itself is a little weak, but more health and a random boon level is nice. Especially if it's early levels and there's not many places for it to go.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hogama posted:

Privileged Status is a mirror option that makes enemies take +20% extra damage as long as they have at least 2 Status Curses active.
Status Curses include: Weak, Ruptured, Hangover, Marked, Jolted, Exposed, Doom, and Chill.

Oh cool, don't think I have that one unlocked yet.

Right now I'm on a very good roll! Shield, started with Aphrodite and I love her!!! So far it's several aphrodites, 3-4 ares (plus just gave him a nectar and he gave me something cool), and couple hermes for extra dash and something else. Have had a few poms, and diddly hammers. just turn my dash-blade rifts to have some kind of gravity effect, just whooped a minotaurs rear end first try. Aphrodite gave me this legendary thing that gives me charm so half that fight the minotaur was in love with me. I feel like a demigod right now and I dare uncle hubris to come at me in this next room, I WILL BASH YOU WITH MY SHIELD OF LOVING WAR

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Also keep in mind that Duo boons exist and can make options that don't necessarily fit builds you're going for into things that are still really, really strong. I have no idea why everyone seems to dislike Doom, it's very good if you get it on a ranged attack/special, and VERY good if you get Aphrodite or Athena's duo boon that either makes it proc repeatedly while they're weak or instantly pops it if you hit them with an attack that deflects. I can kill Hades almost instantly with almost any weapon if I have Doom on Attack and Athena Dash.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Duo Boons just combining them or when the god is like "ayy u got aphrodite on deck, nice! and you get boosted options" or is it when you get both in the same room and have to fight whoever you don't pick first?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dionysus' call absolutely shreds everything it touches if you get a lucky roll or build an unlucky one to a reasonable level

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Duo Boons just combining them or when the god is like "ayy u got aphrodite on deck, nice! and you get boosted options" or is it when you get both in the same room and have to fight whoever you don't pick first?
Duo Boons are like any other boon option, except the requirements for them to be offered include having specific boons from two separate gods first, before you have a chance to even be offered them on the list from either god.

For an example:
Sea Storm: Your knock-away effects also cause foes to be struck by lightning.
Lightning Damage: 40

Poseidon: Tempest Strike, Tempest Flourish, Flood Shot, Tidal Dash or Poseidon's Aid
Zeus: Lightning Strike, Thunder Flourish, Electric Shot, Thunder Dash or Zeus' Aid

You need at least one of those listed boons from both Poseidon and Zeus on your current run before Sea Storm can show up.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Hogama posted:

It’s 20% per rank (with 2 ranks). 40% extra damage is quite a bit and is a pretty important thing to aim for if you’re using it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Fuckin rat poison!!!!! I was ready to ride to high heaven but got killed by a couple of puddles of poison no the ground from some goddamn rats! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghh

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Fuckin rat poison!!!!! I was ready to ride to high heaven but got killed by a couple of puddles of poison no the ground from some goddamn rats! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghh

I like taking the Broken Spearpoint for the final stretch because of things like this.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Khanstant posted:

Were you aware of the antidote pots in the Styx chambers? There are always one or two in any room where poison in an issue. I don't think they say anything to explain them and some people tend to miss them at first and die as a result, even though they glow.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wondered if Charon's fight is easier if you encounter it in the very first shop you see.

The answer is: it is not.

Hypnos and Hades have some good lines about it though.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm excited the next patch is supposed to be 1.0 and actually include the ending because I am real ready for an explanation about Zag's mom and some of the weird secret motives of the cast and why the Temple of Styx seems to be overrun with Satyr cultists.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Artemis' (and Chaos') damage bonus on dash attacks are extremely good for Hestia Rail and spear (dash spin attack counts!) or anything with enough crit chance or backstab bonus.

Dionysus is great for applying a long duration status from a single boon, and the DoT does real work against armored foes whom you have to skirmish anyway. Killing armored enemies in 1 fewer cycle can be more useful than killing mooks in 2 fewer hits.

Poseidon makes you care a lot about positioning but knockback is extremely powerful and wall damage / trap damage scale well into the lategame. Also his cast has a huge area of effect that more than makes up for its low damage if you're using it for actual crowd control rather than single target damage.

Demeter and Aphrodite are MVPs for getting your first wins because the key to winning the game is not dying.

The real key thing to remember is that you don't get to pick your absolute ideal build every game, variety is crucial to the replayability of the game, and adaptation to what is on offer requires you to think through the best way to combine what is on offer with your build rather than just theorycraft an ideal combo to succeed every game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Were you aware of the antidote pots in the Styx chambers? There are always one or two in any room where poison in an issue. I don't think they say anything to explain them and some people tend to miss them at first and die as a result, even though they glow.

I did discover those, unfortunately it was after the first room with them and poison, which was a good teaching moment but I lost a goood chunk of my HP running around not sure what to do with the poison. I was able to mostly manage it in the next rooms, but I got into a room with several beeg rats and I kept dashing to heal, taking damage from wall-stab traps near the cure well, then I'd dash away right back into poison.

I'm on a run right now that I just ruined, haven't died yet, but just a losing gamble. I had the ability that lets you regen 2 health every hit and it's been amazing and I love the playstyle. I however used some anvil item out of curiosity and didn't realize that core ability was a daedulus ability... and it was the one they replaced. Now I'm just a deflecting dingdong with 160 hp :/ I miss having 60 infinite HP

edit: Yeah, died to rat boss, but it was over the second my build broke

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 28, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah the anvil seems...extremely situational.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
The anvil is for when you get screwed with your hammer drops.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Sindai posted:

When I first saw the anvil I was pretty hyped for that poo poo and of the three times I've decided to buy it I've kinda hosed myself for the last boss or essentially just broke even in terms of upgrades. It turns out rolling the dice on radically altering what was probably already an at least functional build at the 11th hour can be ill advised.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Anvil is funny when you know you are winning anyway. Roll the dice.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I wish Rocket Bomb were the default for the rail, it's good as hell. Bombs carried me through my last run, but even with the 5x-bombs it's hard as hell to actually hit the final boss.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Sindai posted:

I wondered if Charon's fight is easier if you encounter it in the very first shop you see.

The answer is: it is not.

Hypnos and Hades have some good lines about it though.

I just discovered this too! Didn’t quite end my run, but Patroclus’s “restore all charges of Death’s Defiance” option was definitely chosen when I ran into him later

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Magitek posted:

I just discovered this too! Didn’t quite end my run, but Patroclus’s “restore all charges of Death’s Defiance” option was definitely chosen when I ran into him later
I've had more than a few runs which were basically decided one way or another by finding Patroclus, you can sometimes tell by the time you've finished Tartarus even if you haven't died yet

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Just bought this and I'm very impressed so far, crispy gameplay. I'm on my third run, just defeated the first fury and I've got a question, daedalus hammer effects carry over runs? I got the restore health on-hit effect and it's really nice.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Nope. Power upgrades all reset at the end of a run, along with any coin you have left over.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's worth noting that because hammers are so important they aren't actually very random. You will always see one in the first two zones, then a second one in the second two zones.

Later, when you unlock a way to manipulate reward RNG a little, you're practically guaranteed to see them early in zones one and three.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Caidin posted:

When I first saw the anvil I was pretty hyped for that poo poo and of the three times I've decided to buy it I've kinda hosed myself for the last boss or essentially just broke even in terms of upgrades. It turns out rolling the dice on radically altering what was probably already an at least functional build at the 11th hour can be ill advised.

I had some crappy Rail hammers so I got the anvil and got rocket bomb + cluster bomb, which makes your special a rocket shotgun. It owns.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DNK posted:

Demeter - The only most effective way to make your opponents slower in a frantic beat-em-up ARPG. Her boons have significant +%damage in addition to the chill effect. Great call that doesn’t require any support.

Wow, still haven't met her!

Sindai posted:

It was a Bad Decision for me in that case, lesson learned the hard way,as all this game's lessons haha.

I've started to like Megan, good litmus test for your starting build and sussing out something that's cool for clearing rooms but bad at killing a dash slashy boss. Murdersis is fairly easy, not sure what the darkness thing is about, but I run to a wall and slash and it seems to resolve itself anytime it happens. Weird to solve the darkness but still not be sure why or how exactly.

My least favourite boss is the stupid lava snake, I just hate how it forces you to do the cycle regardless of your DPS. Like, if it was a timer instead of a health-bar break that triggers it. Mostly I'm pissed at several times wasting all my crystals or full god bar to attack an impervious head because whoops, forgot to finish off one of the side-heads phase. Just too much attrition during those phases or I just don't know how to safely dispatch the little heads among the chaos.

20 runs in so far, 3076 souls messed with. What are the consequences for these folks I'm killing anyway, they just get back in line or what?

Chaos Egg is my new best friend for initial starting item, starting with 150 coins is cool but you know, until you get like 300 the shop will basically just give you one boon anyway, I'll take shop path if I need health too just in case. Getting some early chaos gates though is great, easier to deal with in those first levels where +50% spawns won't turn a level into a bullet hell of those lava witches. I have killed good runs three times now, through taking a chaos that increases trap damage for X battles. I like to think I'm pretty good at dodging traps, but that boon shows me that plainly I am not. I had an almost flawless fight with megan, that I ended near the very end by accidentally dashing into a trap and it one-shot me!

Question about titan blood: I figure it will upgrade my weapons at some point, presumably by getting further in the levels or beating the sewer boss. I also figure you get one per weapon on your first defeat of meg, then it cycles to the other two sisters? However, I used one of my bloods to get 250 gems, and am I correct in assuming I once again need to beat megan with one of the weapons again, if so, which one can i tell?

edit: second question: Does the buff from hermes plume stay even when you discard the item? I switch to skelly tooth when i use up my natural defiances, cant tell if i lose plume buffs on switch or not

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Tips for those of you starting out.

You're going to die on your first 20 runs or so, it's part of the progression. But that's fine, I highly suggest once you beat some bosses and even after you win a run, stick with no Heat levels and focus on unlocking as much as possible before going up in Heat levels. You will want as much Darkness as possible for Mirror upgrades before you start upping your heat levels to gain more Blood, Diamonds and Ambrosia. With Chaos boons, Poseidon boon Ocean's Bounty and Fated Thirst will help you get massive stacks of Darkness. You can get a couple thousand Darkness in a single run if you get lucky.

You need 119 keys to unlock everything on the Mirror and the weapons. The Fated Authority/Persuasion unlock can be ignored until everything else is unlocked.

Lastly, all Gems and Diamonds should go towards Work Orders first before anything else. Everything there allows you to go farther due to being able to get pick ups and bonuses more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Murdersis is fairly easy, not sure what the darkness thing is about, but I run to a wall and slash and it seems to resolve itself anytime it happens. Weird to solve the darkness but still not be sure why or how exactly.
You mean when she shrinks the room? The darkness just hides the level swap, you don't need to do anything.

quote:

Just too much attrition during those phases or I just don't know how to safely dispatch the little heads among the chaos.
That's definitely the hardest part of the fight. When my damage is low enough I can't just delete the heads I usually run a circuit hitting them each a few times because if I sit around the area will rapidly fill with lava and adds.

quote:

Question about titan blood: I figure it will upgrade my weapons at some point, presumably by getting further in the levels or beating the sewer boss. I also figure you get one per weapon on your first defeat of meg, then it cycles to the other two sisters? However, I used one of my bloods to get 250 gems, and am I correct in assuming I once again need to beat megan with one of the weapons again, if so, which one can i tell?
Don't worry about spending or earning titan blood until after your first escape. The game will explain how you earn more then. Weapon upgrades are kind of the permanent progression system for after you've mostly finished the Mirror.

Don't trade them away though. You can earn an infinite amount of titan blood but it's a slow process.

quote:

edit: second question: Does the buff from hermes plume stay even when you discard the item? I switch to skelly tooth when i use up my natural defiances, cant tell if i lose plume buffs on switch or not
I don't think so.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 28, 2020