Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Unless now your going to move the goal posts and say that there are multiple Bowsers on each end screen (mental retard) or he also moves into the fore and background with Mario but changes his size inversely in proportion to his distance from the camera (Bruh.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

the game begins when you press start and mario is small when the game starts

ever heard of in media res? it's clear Mario has been away from Brooklyn for some time once the platlyer has the controls

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Unless now your going to move the goal posts and say that there are multiple Bowsers on each end screen (mental retard) or he also moves into the fore and background with Mario but changes his size inversely in proportion to his distance from the camera (Bruh.).

We know Bowser can change his size since he grows several stories tall in Super Mario Sunshine and it makes sense that he would grow in response to Mario losing his confidence and retreating. Try again.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Plus. And I don’t even need to say this since I already countered your entire argument, but he’s a prideful and powerful king so it makes perfect sense that he would always want to appear as large as possible even if he needs to retreat into the background to bodyblock Mario from crossing the bridge. It’s all supported by the lore

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Why does he have so many axes on the bridge.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Also why would the closer side of the screen to the camera be where a confident Mario goes? There is no material to support the relative danger of any "distance from the camera". Another thing. The fences in that you climb on and can flip through. Explain that one without sounding like a Sped kid trying to pick up chicks inside the gym when we all have to share it because it's raining outside, and then one of them is a basketball prodigy and swishes a few balls in a row to thundrous applause but your not that one your his friend that sucks at basketball.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

*walks to the jury bench and laughs loudly* The... de Fence rests, your honor. Mario gets bigger when he eats the super mushroom.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wormskull posted:

Why does he have so many axes on the bridge.

maybe small marjo pulls the axe to himself via a vertical rope? just trying to be polite as possible, as it's pretty clear NCS has a v. difficult form of brain damage. don't want things to get heated enough that this goes the way of the libertarian Wario thread.....

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There is one axe at the end of the bridge connected to a chain that runs along the entire width of the bridge. I thought this was fairly obvious but apparently some people just aren't getting it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

*walks to the jury bench and laughs loudly* The... de Fence rests, your honor. Mario gets bigger when he eats the super mushroom.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm starting to think he actually doesn't change size at all when he eats a mushroom and it's largely a placebo on his confidence levels.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

I'm starting to think he actually doesn't change size at all when he eats a mushroom and it's largely a placebo on his confidence levels.

*smiling, signing you up for the remedial class* good thinking. glad you've been paying attention to some of the ideas. let's talk about what color Luigi's pants are.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

Placebo for who??? God you're dumb.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
NCS is on the right track but he has it backwards. When Mario eats the mushroom, everything else shrinks in size. They regain confidence when he gets hit, like Xerxes in 300. There is only one size of Mario

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

American McGay posted:

Placebo for who??? God you're dumb.

For Mario.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

NCS is on the right track but he has it backwards. When Mario eats the mushroom, everything else shrinks in size. They regain confidence when he gets hit, like Xerxes in 300. There is only one size of Mario

This is bordering on Carl Sagan poo poo. If that's the case then Mario is just getting bigger too and the distinction is meaningless. Topic Locked.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Uhh if the player perceives Mario getting bigger once he eats a mushroom then guess what, he actually got bigger. Whether this is due to the chemical properties in the mushroom or a placebic reaction in Mario's brain is irrelevant here.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I wish I’d gone to university 😔

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I wish I’d gone to university 😔

Same here.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

i can make mario seem bigger or smaller by moving my face closer or further away from the tv. but if i make him get the mushroom then his size clearly changes from relatively little to big and all of the other stuff remains the same size regardless of how much irrepairable damage i do to my eyesight in order to prove you wrong on line. its not a question of perception

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

is In Training suggesting that Mario is an unreliable narrator and that the SMB series is presented in a close 3rd person? starting to think that we might be the bad guy and that he is actually kidnapping peach.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
ever heard of Death of the Bowser

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

is In Training suggesting that Mario is an unreliable narrator and that the SMB series is presented in a close 3rd person? starting to think that we might be the bad guy and that he is actually kidnapping peach.
It even progressed to the point that Bowser is marrying Peach in Odyssey and Mario is still convinced he's "not right for her." (that's a paraphrase of his general attitude, not an actual quote)

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Martman posted:

It even progressed to the point that Bowser is marrying Peach in Odyssey and Mario is still convinced he's "not right for her." (that's a paraphrase of his general attitude, not an actual quote)

what does this mean

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

ever heard of Death of the Bowser

yeah on 8-4

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

using a screenshot from the Odyssey intro stage somehow makes it better

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

This is bordering on Carl Sagan poo poo. If that's the case then Mario is just getting bigger too and the distinction is meaningless. Topic Locked.

thank you

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

what does this mean
I was making fun of Mario being an abuser but in the current SA context I realize that that freakin sucks so I retract the post you quoted

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

using a screenshot from the Odyssey intro stage somehow makes it better

mario blowing 999 coins on twitch bits every time a Peach cosplayer cries on stream

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Peach is a metaphor for the nuclear bomb, as clearly explored in timeless indie classic Braid.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Martman posted:

I was making fun of Mario being an abuser but in the current SA context I realize that that freakin sucks so I retract the post you quoted

that's not the only reason it sucks you chode

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
evolution of Critical Gaming Theory

1st wave 1985-1996: thats mario, and he has to save the princess

2nd wave 1996-2002: thats mario, and hes actually the villain who is ruining the princess and bowsers relationship

3rd wave 2002-2017-: thats mario, and while its true hes the "villain" this is only because of capitalist realism which teaches us to side with the propertied classes over the proletariat e.g. peach and bowser who are royalty, over mario who is an immigrant working class plumber

4th wave 2017-present: thats mario, and were trying to measure him

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

apropos to nothing posted:

evolution of Critical Gaming Theory

1st wave 1985-1996: thats mario, and he has to save the princess

2nd wave 1996-2002: thats mario, and hes actually the villain who is ruining the princess and bowsers relationship

3rd wave 2002-2017-: thats mario, and while its true hes the "villain" this is only because of capitalist realism which teaches us to side with the propertied classes over the proletariat e.g. peach and bowser who are royalty, over mario who is an immigrant working class plumber

4th wave 2017-present: thats mario, and were trying to measure him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia2tHDNGfT8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2017 was when we first saw Mario's nipples, and it only increased our desire to measure his height, weight, and cholesterol.