Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The words he used to break free had better be “In the 90’s, I was in a really famous TV Show.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

TwoPair posted:

spider ham

The nostrils mirroring the eyes is a great touch.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zetsubou-san posted:

The nostrils mirroring the eyes is a great touch.

It's weird and distracting and I can't remember if it's something Spider-Ham normally does. (It's been a long time.) Not saying it's bad, just weird. :)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Start talking"
"Neigh!"

Vincent posted:

Comics is comics no matter where in the world they were produced, shut up nerds.
(Read right to left)
From Fist of The North Star.
The series can be capital S serious, but it also has these little moments of violent slapstick that kill me every time.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I watched a lot of the old TV series earlier in the year and it had a bunch of unexpected humor in it as well

https://twitter.com/Kenshiro28/status/903982201477455877?s=20

Punches through a wall and drags a bad guy face first through it.

Fist of the North Star is still such a HUGELY influential presence in manga and anime. Like.. it was published in Shonen Jump. Which now publishes stuff like My Hero Academia, One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, etc.
Probably only Jojo's Bizarre Adventure still has such an enduring fanbase for a series from the 80s.

Like look at this nonsense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOhCtrQ9XU8
(Yeah it's an AMV, but it's also high quality North Star and has the bulk of the more famous scenes. So eat me :v:)

This was aimed at Primary and High School kids.
The 80s had some in-loving-credible series.

In actual contributing to the thread news...

Send My Regards to Kenshiro
Speaking of Fist of the North Star :v:

Kid reads Fist of the North Star. Thinks it's real. Trains his whole life to become a real life Kenshiro and learns all his 'skills' to kill the Yakuza that ran off with his mother.

Result?

When that doesn't work, he takes the obvious next step.

And becomes a masseuse

Like.. it's actually a legit funny little series. He's still trying to kill the Yakuza with massages and finding The Acupuncture Point for Instant Death. :allears:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT’S FIST OF THE NORTH STAR AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, KENSHIRO....

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

prefect posted:

It's weird and distracting and I can't remember if it's something Spider-Ham normally does. (It's been a long time.) Not saying it's bad, just weird. :)

It's always been like that, though in some of the earliest issues the nostrils weren't colored white.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hell yeah.

Daredevil #123

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Don't have to tell me twice

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Infinitum posted:

When that doesn't work, he takes the obvious next step.

And becomes a masseuse

A woman who does massage work?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

bessantj posted:

Hell yeah.

Daredevil #123

:2bong:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bessantj posted:

Daredevil #123

It's easy as T-H-C!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Bruceski posted:

I think that the lead-in was replying to someone who said it looked like spaghetti on the hot dog, and the follow-up references to Cincinatti and the tiny-rez picture did not manage to clearly correct matters. I've seen bad pasta that dry and yellow.

Makes perfect sense if you already know what folks are talking about, makes no sense if you don't. It's like everyone was saying "oh yeah, pasta on hot dogs, that's normal."

Christ on a crutch, am I the only person here who has eaten at a NYC hot dog stand? I'm assuming since it's Spider-man (and I know, despite rarely reading Marvel, that Peter Parker lives and operates out of NY, and unlike manga I don't need a 1000 word exegesis to understand a panel), it's loving sauerkraut, not pasta, or cheese.

IDK, I'm getting way too angry about the last two pages here.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 26, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Christ on a crutch, am I the only person here who has eaten at a NYC hot dog stand? I'm assuming since it's Spider-man (and I know, despite rarely reading Marvel, that Peter Parker lives and operates out of NY, and unlike manga I don't need a 1000 word exegesis to understand a panel), it's loving sauerkraut, not pasta, or cheese.

Could be onions, maybe. IDK, I'm getting way too angry about the last two pages here.

Translator's note: "sauerkraut" (/ˈsaʊ.ərkraʊt/) means "sour cabbage"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

bessantj posted:

Hell yeah.

Daredevil #123

Hail hydro.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

bessantj posted:

Hell yeah.

Daredevil #123

Blaze Hydra!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The fate of the original Hydra boss is literally the best comic book villain death ever anywhere, American or otherwise. I wish I could find the page but I'm stupid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The fate of the original Hydra boss is literally the best comic book villain death ever anywhere, American or otherwise. I wish I could find the page but I'm stupid.

What comic was it in?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Strange Tales #141:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I legit loved that story. What a great way for that loser to get it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jordan7hm posted:

I legit loved that story. What a great way for that loser to get it.

It was especially cool because it was back in ye olden days. It felt more like an EC comic than a superhero comic when it happened. :allears:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

It's also a premonition of the day I get demodded.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The death of that Hydra boss is great. Fascists just couldn't fathom that their leader isn't the ubermensch he presented himself as.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lobok posted:

The death of that Hydra boss is great. Fascists just couldn't fathom that their leader isn't the ubermensch he presented himself as.

Something something Garrison

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Wait, is this the reason why back in s1 of Agents of SHIELD there was a joke about some characters being confused as to whether Hydra's motto was "cut off one limb" or "cut off one head"?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Provided with 0 context:

Source: Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin - Chapter 1
New series being serialised in Shonen Jump. Click link to read.

Same mangaka that wrote Beelzebub if the art looks familiar.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Argue posted:

Wait, is this the reason why back in s1 of Agents of SHIELD there was a joke about some characters being confused as to whether Hydra's motto was "cut off one limb" or "cut off one head"?

No, that was just a joke about confusing the mythical hydra with the terrorists.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Action Jacktion posted:

Strange Tales #141:

What is going on in the last panel? Are they walking down the wall, or is the window actually a trapdoor in the floor, or something?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They don't call him Dum Dum for nothing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wish I got a week off every time I called my boss an idiot

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
MANGA, EWWWW

The Lobotomy Kid fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 28, 2020

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Darthemed posted:

Spider-Man Unlimited #1 (1993)

Jeez Pete, we all know that smoking is bad for you, but give MJ a break. That's some histrionic nagging he's putting out for a guy who risks his life daily

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The statistics are in his favor though. Lots of people have died due to smoking-induced illness. Zero people have died due to being Spider-man.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Slashrat posted:

The statistics are in his favor though. Lots of people have died due to smoking-induced illness. Zero people have died due to being Spider-man.

Gwen Stacy would like a word with you. Well, if she were alive that is.

Or is Second Hand Spider-Man tracked separately?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Slashrat posted:

What if? shows that being spider-man has a mortality rate of roughly 99%.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Proteus Jones posted:

Gwen Stacy would like a word with you. Well, if she were alive that is.

Or is Second Hand Spider-Man tracked separately?

That's second hand exposure, and that has a huge mortality rate. Openly associating with Spider-man is right up there with being romantically involved with Batman or Daredevil and admitting publicly that you know John Constantine.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I went to quote this to ask you to not be like this, but I see you actually have some images attached that aren't loading. You're going to want to save them and upload them on imgur or someplace.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I hope my sons never become superheroes, I'd be so dead within the first week of them donning a cape.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Kalli posted:

What if? shows that being spider-man has a mortality rate of roughly 99%.

Dimensional crossover in statistics has been avoided ever since the complaint from the dimension in which smoking cures cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

How Wonderful! posted:

I went to quote this to ask you to not be like this, but I see you actually have some images attached that aren't loading. You're going to want to save them and upload them on imgur or someplace.

Whoops, edited.