Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Shrecknet posted:

OK need the thread's advice.

I have a wishlist and I have (thanks to being furloughed) plenty of time to play games. But I'd like some help winnowing down this list to just games I'll actually play and like.

I can't do FPS games, especially ones where you shoot other people. I don't go in for multiplayer and I like a more considered, slower pace. Dexterity-free games are my jam (XCom and this war of mine are my top games) BUT I don't like sprawling endless builders or sims like Parkitect or Cities:Skylines and the engine-builder games like Factorio never clicked with me. I like games I can play in 2-3 sittings. And I love love love Walking Sims with great environments and stories and puzzles that aren't absurdly hard. (Tacoma yes, MYST no).

What on my list can definitely go, and what's worth a trial at least? tia

Cool XCOM-esque games that you should try: Invisible Inc, Into the Breach, All Walls Must Fall, Alvora Tactics, Steamworld Heist, Templar Battleforce, etc.

Have you tried any roguelikes at all? Caves of Qud sounds exactly like something you would love.

Also, how are you with visual novels / interactive fiction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

I have a wishlist and I have (thanks to being furloughed) plenty of time to play games. But I'd like some help winnowing down this list to just games I'll actually play and like.

I can't do FPS games, especially ones where you shoot other people. I don't go in for multiplayer and I like a more considered, slower pace. Dexterity-free games are my jam (XCom and this war of mine are my top games) BUT I don't like sprawling endless builders or sims like Parkitect or Cities:Skylines and the engine-builder games like Factorio never clicked with me. I like games I can play in 2-3 sittings. And I love love love Walking Sims with great environments and stories and puzzles that aren't absurdly hard. (Tacoma yes, MYST no).

Based on those criteria I would get Disco Elysium first, and drop Brigador Killers, Dying Light, Nova Drift, and Cyberpunk. Don't know anything about the others.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Difficulty chat, but for more general games: I like to start almost all games on normal or easy and then if I like it enough/am good at it I'll crank it up until I feel challenged.

Example A: XCOM, I played on very easy and had a great time steamrolling things and was confident enough to play on normal and also had fun, but I know hard will murder my stupid brain.

Example B: Command and Conquer Remastered: sticking to normal because just normal is spanking me and I might drop to easy if I get frustrated.

Example C: Rimworld! Using the dev mode to undo colonist deaths or spawn in more angry raiders has actually made it more rewarding as it's my game, my story, and with some self-control it's still challenging and people get hurt and potentially die - I'm a whimsical god and sometimes a death is earned.

Also NEVER feel shame about cheating in a single-player game. rosebud rosebud rosebud;;;;; is the path to having fun. I wish more modern games would have easy to access cheat commands so you can make the game your own.

That said, some people will activate godmode and then remove all the fun and not realize they need to turn it off, so if you're one of those people, uh, remember that challenge can be really rewarding and so on.

One last judgmental note: cheating in puzzle games is bad, and I regret every single time I've done it.

Testify!

I agree with every one of these points. Single player games should be enjoyed according to the way the player wants to enjoy them. If that means cheating sometimes, great. If that means cheating all the time, great. Or never cheating, great too as long as the player is having the most fun this way.

I've always found that games are best when thought of as sandboxes for the player's creative expression. Rigid experiences that absolutely must stay true to the ~*~developer's artistic vision~*~ the whole time always risk players bouncing off of them.

Every single game that's ever had a cheat menu or that actively encourages modding it to make it your own, is better for it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

sebmojo posted:

Battlefront 2 has a surprisingly decent single player, based on the small amount I've played.

I bought this in the sale yesterday and started it this morning, maybe 90 mins in now.

The story is fun enough so far but man alive the shooting sucks. Enemies barely if at all react to being shot until they ragdoll dead, and they keep getting weirdly clipped into geometry on the ground and spaz up and down rapidly. Also, the extent of the enemies’ tactics appear to be “run straight at the player and stand around blankly shooting until their health meter runs down.”

It feels flat or hollow in the same way that the gameplay felt in Battlefront 1, which is why I never bothered with this game for the multi, but $20 for a decent SW story is fine imo. I just turned the difficulty down to easy so I can get my $20 worth without having to worry about clicking on Rebels’ heads.

I do think Fallen Order is a far, far better game though. I’m excited for a sequel to that game to see where those characters end up, and to see refinements to the good combat found there.

e: also it just locked up on me between missions and relaunching the game doesn't seem to be doing anything...? Restarting my pc revealed that Origin was doing things in the background without showing up in Task Manager, so that, uh, sucks.

TBF to my praise of Fallen Order, I can't speak to the pc performance of that game, I played on an Xbox One X.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 28, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Testify!

I agree with every one of these points. Single player games should be enjoyed according to the way the player wants to enjoy them. If that means cheating sometimes, great. If that means cheating all the time, great. Or never cheating, great too as long as the player is having the most fun this way.

I've always found that games are best when thought of as sandboxes for the player's creative expression. Rigid experiences that absolutely must stay true to the ~*~developer's artistic vision~*~ the whole time always risk players bouncing off of them.

Every single game that's ever had a cheat menu or that actively encourages modding it to make it your own, is better for it.

I agree with this (as you agree with me :v:) but I want to add that I find it fascinating to experience the developer's artistic vision - like, before I cheat or toss in mods I like to see what vanilla is and what the dev intended. That makes for a richer experience imho and you're also more informed when you mess with it.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

The demo for reverse horror tentacle game CARRION is out!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/953490/CARRION/

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah I usually will play games on Easy just to get a feel for them. My time is precious so if I'm going to waste it playing videogames I don't want to get frustrated dying over and over again. If I want to do that I'll go play a Soulsbourne game. :v:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cool XCOM-esque games that you should try: Invisible Inc, Into the Breach, All Walls Must Fall, Alvora Tactics, Steamworld Heist, Templar Battleforce, etc.

Have you tried any roguelikes at all? Caves of Qud sounds exactly like something you would love.

Also, how are you with visual novels / interactive fiction?
played, loved and beat bolded games. I'm a big fan of SOME roguelikes, ones that go hard on being fun to play and beautiful (I'm a slut for polish) - Dead Cells, Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, Zigguraut are my jam. I marked Qud as "Not Interested" because I just can't get past the utterly abstracted ASCII art style.

Not quite as high on VNs as I am on Walking Simulators. Edith Finch, Beginner's Guide and the Artifex Mundi stuff for campy fun are great. Also a fan of "Hold Right for Fun" like Inside and Little Nightmares.

I want to explain, the thing I don't like about FPS's is shooting other human-looking people in the face. It's squicky to me. Being an FPS at all is fine. I'm good with Left 4 Dead and DOOM and such. I loved Dying Light because they actually nailed first-person parkour and I loved running around the city.

The big thing though is I just can't do like 25+ hour story modes. I want to finish a game in a day or two and never think about it again. Or come back and be able to go start-to-finish as a new game every sitting and games take 30m or less (Slay the Spire, Dead Cells, etc)

wafflemoose posted:

Yeah I usually will play games on Easy just to get a feel for them. My time is precious so if I'm going to waste it playing videogames I don't want to get frustrated dying over and over again. If I want to do that I'll go play a Soulsbourne game. :v:
https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1070405188475854849

I said what I said.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 28, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Picked up Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow of the Tomb Raider for a combined £19, not too shabby

Having too much fun clearing up Hitman 2 levels though

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

I want to explain, the thing I don't like about FPS's is shooting other human-looking people in the face. It's squicky to me. Being an FPS at all is fine. I'm good with Left 4 Dead and DOOM and such.
Dying Light 1 involved a nonzero amount of fighting other humans, and they have guns so it's generally a bad idea to not respond with your own guns.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

I want to explain, the thing I don't like about FPS's is shooting other human-looking people in the face. It's squicky to me. Being an FPS at all is fine. I'm good with Left 4 Dead and DOOM and such. I loved Dying Light because they actually nailed first-person parkour and I loved running around the city.

The big thing though is I just can't do like 25+ hour story modes. I want to finish a game in a day or two and never think about it again. Or come back and be able to go start-to-finish as a new game every sitting and games take 30m or less (Slay the Spire, Dead Cells, etc)

In that case Nova Drift should be fine, and also let me offer my thirtieth recommendation for Amid Evil, Dusk, and/or Overload

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
There were some questions about Fell Seal re: starting the base game without the DLC installed earlier.

I started a new playthrough when the DLC came out (I played probably a little over half of it when it first came out). DLC content starts early but it's all side stuff. You do get to recruit monsters, though, and those need to be leveled, so I wouldn't wait too long. But you can definitely play up to the first boss before making a decision about whether or not you want the DLC.

Relatedly, loving up the first fight after a boss because you're playing without really thinking is something that just happens, of course. You just beat a boss, what are some zombies gonna do to you?
But doing that when you're playing a game for the second time, then remembering - as you see your second unit go down - that you also hosed this up during your first playthrough really makes you feel special.
It's not even hard, you just get to the ladder and get on the roof asap. But why think about how to approach a map or check enemy levels before you walk in and start swinging, really? :downs:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Eat The Rich posted:

The demo for reverse horror tentacle game CARRION is out!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/953490/CARRION/
Has been for months now, unless that's a new one.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I do find it funny that ten year old me had no problem beating GDI mission 4 but 21 years later I can’t get past it to save my life. The remaster is amazing though.

That's when I started realizing it's not for me because I don't enjoy that kind of puzzley gameplay and the pathing is truly dire in C&C.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Shrecknet posted:

Not quite as high on VNs as I am on Walking Simulators. Edith Finch, Beginner's Guide and the Artifex Mundi stuff for campy fun are great. Also a fan of "Hold Right for Fun" like Inside and Little Nightmares.

Have you looked at Observation? Its basically a walking simulator except in zero-g and you're an AI interacting with a person. If you liked Tacoma, you'll probably like Observation. I'll also plug Firewatch again if you haven't played that already.

From your wishlist, I'd say give Donut County a shot. Its cheap, its cute, its short and its fun + very casual. Also check out A Short Hike if you haven't already. Disco Elysium is awesome but definitely a time commitment.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Ah, time to bust out my ol' Steam summer sale algorithm again (I stopped buying games at the Xmas sales two years ago, very proud of myself!):

1) Add 30 games to my wishlist - one that I actually want to play, 19 that I would really like to play but are in varying stages of Early Access, and 10 popular AAA/indie darlings that have maybe one aspect each that I'm interested in but otherwise I'm "meh" about.

2) do a bunch of research, keep the one that I actually want to play but swapping the 19 EA games and 10 mehs out with another 19 and 10 of each.

3) buy the one game I want, 3 of the EAs and 2 of the mehs.

4) never play the EAs or mehs and in one week put in 8-10 hours of the one I wanted.

5) Spend the next 51 weeks playing the same three or four games I've put 800+ hours into each for the last five years.

:unsmith:

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
My wife plays the Microsoft Solitaire Collection but mostly just as a way to unwind while listening to podcasts/news, she doesn't care about achievements or difficulty or story or anything like that. Lately there are a lot of annoying ads between games so I figured there must be something good on Steam I can get cheaply. Any suggestions along those lines? She does like Mahjong (the tile-matching 'clear the board' version), but I don't know if there's a good version of it on Steam - just different styles of tiles, cool layouts, stuff like that.

Technically the OS on her PC is tied to my Microsoft account, and GOG Galaxy, which is linked to my accounts, delights in telling me that Solitaire is by far my most played game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Twobirds posted:

My wife plays the Microsoft Solitaire Collection but mostly just as a way to unwind while listening to podcasts/news, she doesn't care about achievements or difficulty or story or anything like that. Lately there are a lot of annoying ads between games so I figured there must be something good on Steam I can get cheaply. Any suggestions along those lines? She does like Mahjong (the tile-matching 'clear the board' version), but I don't know if there's a good version of it on Steam - just different styles of tiles, cool layouts, stuff like that.

Technically the OS on her PC is tied to my Microsoft account, and GOG Galaxy, which is linked to my accounts, delights in telling me that Solitaire is by far my most played game.

Solsuite has been king for me, as it has a bunch of solitaire variants, nice aesthetic options, and so on. It's ten bucks, doesn't require steam, and I'm very happy with it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Twobirds posted:

Okay now to other steam recs...

Mahjong: I haven't found any "good" apps yet but Mahjong World Contest is 50 cents and I've put 3 hours into LUXOR Mahjong and can vouch for it.

Literally all of BrainGoodGames' stuff are cool casual puzzlers, look at Solar Settlers, Militia, and Minos Strategos.

Everyday Genius: Squarelogic never goes on sale but it's 5$ and is the single best sudoku/variant puzzler on steam.

Hidden Folks is the best Where's Waldo on PC.

Paint it Back is the best picross on steam imho

Quell and its sequels are the best chill puzzlers on steam, I love their atmosphere.

and finally if you like solitaire variants on steam all of these are good, but solsuite is the best:

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
What's the best way to sell a bunch of Steam cards these days?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Install augmented steam, log in through chrome and click "quick sell" a bunch

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Any racegame recs?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Zeeman posted:

What's the best way to sell a bunch of Steam cards these days?

https://github.com/Nuklon/Steam-Economy-Enhancer

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m mostly having a blast playing rear end Creed one despite the fact that you can tell it’s rough and rushed in places due to being a new IP. Is there any reason to try and get all the hidden flags in the game? I’d rather play through this game and move on to rear end Creed 2 and the others. (I bought the whole drat franchise this sale!)

I am enjoying climbing all the towers, saving all the citizens, and doing all the investigations before loving off to kill my target. Am I playing this right? Am I going to miss any key story? I really don’t care about modern day Desmond or whatever the gently caress is going on at Abstergo...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m mostly having a blast playing rear end Creed one despite the fact that you can tell it’s rough and rushed in places due to being a new IP. Is there any reason to try and get all the hidden flags in the game? I’d rather play through this game and move on to rear end Creed 2 and the others. (I bought the whole drat franchise this sale!)
None. Even if you collect them, the game does not give you anything for it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There were achievements for it on Xbox 360, but they did not port over even that much to other systems.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I believe the flags were only added literally because someone up the line said there needed to something to collect.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think it was literally the nephew of one of the executives or something silly like that, but yeah, they were a last-minute thing because collectibles are a thing you just need to have in a game like that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Buller posted:

Any racegame recs?

Burnout Paradise is still the best car game ever made

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cardiovorax posted:

I think it was literally the nephew of one of the executives or something silly like that, but yeah, they were a last-minute thing because collectibles are a thing you just need to have in a game like that.
Now when it comes to rear end Creed 2 and the reward for getting all the collectibles in that game...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

EDF 5: has QoL upgrades, reboots the story so they have NO idea what giant ants are and I love it..... but it made me realize I'm still invested in 4.1's story so I'm back to that and having fun! Being a wingdiver is honestly the only way to play in 4.1 due to how slow everything else is, but oh well.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Bruteman posted:

Ah, time to bust out my ol' Steam summer sale algorithm again (I stopped buying games at the Xmas sales two years ago, very proud of myself!):

1) Add 30 games to my wishlist - one that I actually want to play, 19 that I would really like to play but are in varying stages of Early Access, and 10 popular AAA/indie darlings that have maybe one aspect each that I'm interested in but otherwise I'm "meh" about.

2) do a bunch of research, keep the one that I actually want to play but swapping the 19 EA games and 10 mehs out with another 19 and 10 of each.

3) buy the one game I want, 3 of the EAs and 2 of the mehs.

4) never play the EAs or mehs and in one week put in 8-10 hours of the one I wanted.

5) Spend the next 51 weeks playing the same three or four games I've put 800+ hours into each for the last five years.

:unsmith:

It's a good system. :colbert:

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

Shrecknet posted:

Iratus: Lord of the Dead is super fun. the VA for Iratus is Stefan Weyte, who voiced Caleb in Blood 1+2, is 78 years old, and kills it on the one-liners. the devs just this past week released an update that adds more difficulty options, reworked a bunch of minion abilities, and added rad new skins for 4 of the minions.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Belladonna is on sale for $0.69 and having it sat installed in my library for years I finally gave it a shot and beat in one sitting. It's a nice little Frankenstein-esque point and click horror adventure game setting in a gloomy castle and some creepy mad scientist vibes going on. The bulk of the story is in the letters you find explaining the circumstances leading to the start of the game.

The puzzles are pretty simple enough and the character will narrate what she is doing as well as hint to what you need to solve the puzzle, the only hurdle would be not noticing a small detail to grab a plot item at the time and having to go back a few rooms.

The ending slide is also delightful in a way I did not expect from the game, definitely worth the price on sale.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Xander77 posted:

Now when it comes to rear end Creed 2 and the reward for getting all the collectibles in that game...

Hugging your virtual mom is the real reward, it's not the cape that always makes you "notorious" :unsmith:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

pentyne posted:

Belladonna is on sale for $0.69 and having it sat installed in my library for years I finally gave it a shot and beat in one sitting. It's a nice little Frankenstein-esque point and click horror adventure game setting in a gloomy castle and some creepy mad scientist vibes going on. The bulk of the story is in the letters you find explaining the circumstances leading to the start of the game.

The puzzles are pretty simple enough and the character will narrate what she is doing as well as hint to what you need to solve the puzzle, the only hurdle would be not noticing a small detail to grab a plot item at the time and having to go back a few rooms.

The ending slide is also delightful in a way I did not expect from the game, definitely worth the price on sale.

Can you pronounce the game name in an exaggerated Italian accent

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

El_Elegante posted:

Can you pronounce the game name in an exaggerated Italian accent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZFWdrYX2fs

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So is Black Mesa completely done and covers all of Half-Life 1?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jimbot posted:

So is Black Mesa completely done and covers all of Half-Life 1?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Wake me up when Horizon is on the horizon.