Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I have met some cool people here who I will probably keep in touch with if I can't reach them here any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

I have met some cool people here who I will probably keep in touch with if I can't reach them here any more.

Everyone, check the updated announcement

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

We're saved, thank god

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Indeed...Now back to our regularly scheduled shitposting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Looks like things can go on.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
So I haven't kept up with anime in a while, what're the best shows released within the last year or two? Open to any genre.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

mob psycho was like, last year right? definitely watch mob psycho 100

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Inadequately posted:

So I haven't kept up with anime in a while, what're the best shows released within the last year or two? Open to any genre.

2018:
Devilman Crybaby
Pop Team Epic
Golden Kamuy (more "good manga that finally got adapted," the adaptation itself is just okay)

2019:
Kaguya-sama: Love is War
Fruits Basket
Vinland Saga
Beastars

I wasn't going to mention sequels or ongoing shows from earlier than the years you indicated, but Mob Psycho 100 got a second season and you really shouldn't miss that.

2020:
Tower of God
Kakushigoto

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ssss.gridman too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bakarina (My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!) is great fun. The protagonist reincarnates as the villainess of an otome game and is trying to avoid her character's fate where she dies or gets exiled in every single ending, and winds up accidentally seducing the entire cast regardless of gender. She is too dumb to realize this because she's too focused on learning how to farm in case she gets exiled or crafting a lovely toy snake to throw at someone as a distraction

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Inadequately posted:

Run with the Wind
Megalobox
Keep your hands off Eizouken

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Keep your hands off Eizouken

can't believe i forgot this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inadequately posted:

A Place Further Than The Universe (coming of age comedy-drama about a girl whose mom got lost in antarctica wanting to go to antarctica)

Akanesasu Shoujo (magical girl comedy/mystery with involvement from the guy who wrote 999)

Yuru Camp (slice of life camping, very cozy)

Ssss. Gridman (do you want a sort of mecha show thats mostly a character study)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Most of my favorites have already been recced (although I'll put some extra emphasis on Yurucamp, A Place Further Than The Universe, Gridman, and Mob Psycho S2 as they're all outstanding), but I'd also like to throw in Bloom Into You if you're in a mood for a yuri piece or just a generally outstanding character drama.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Inadequately posted:

Someone upstream recommended but I would def go with Run with the Wind if you like a good paced character development / introspection story featuring collegiate running. I enjoyed it a great deal after seeing it rec'd here.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Inadequately posted:

This might go back 3 years, but three of my recent favorites are:

March Comes in like a Lion
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
ACCA 13

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inadequately posted:

Given
Run With the Wind was my other one but it's already been mentioned several times

you might also check out After the Rain

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Inadequately posted:

Dorohedoro
Bakarina as mentioned before
Demon Slayer
the remake of Dororo
Promised Neverland
Dr Stone.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Would yall have any recc's for something like Mushishi? Like chill mystery stuff.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

KoB posted:

Would yall have any recc's for something like Mushishi? Like chill mystery stuff.

If you're looking for chill mysteries, maybe try Hyouka? I wouldn't call them mystery shows, but for something more in line with Hyouka's overall tone and presentation, maybe try Kino's Journey or Haibane Renmei.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

KoB posted:

Natsume Yuujinchou is a very similar series of episodic youkai stories, it's a little lighter in tone and modern rather than historical but about equally good

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

KoB posted:

The new manga by the author of Mushishi, actually!

https://mangadex.org/title/26618/neko-ga-nishi-mukya

It's nice and chill :)

e. Wait poo poo, I hadn't realised I'm in the anime rec thread. Sorry, my bad.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

KoB posted:

Seconding Natsume Yuujinchou.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I 'm looking for a good recent-ish real mecha epic war anime. Something like LoGH with robits. Also would be good if it's mostly adult characters and not highschoolers with high pitched voices. Something that is fairly grounded and where battles are resolved by strategy and clever tactics and not magic prototype weapons destroying entire armies.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that mostly sounds like you're describing gundam though i haven't seen any of the recent gundams so i don't know which ones best fit that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

I 'm looking for a good recent-ish real mecha epic war anime. Something like LoGH with robits. Also would be good if it's mostly adult characters and not highschoolers with high pitched voices. Something that is fairly grounded and where battles are resolved by strategy and clever tactics and not magic prototype weapons destroying entire armies.
Gundam Ironblooded Orphans has some of that but a lot of the cast are teens. They aren't high schoolers or anything since they're child soldiers, and they're fairly grounded characters. There's unique mechs but they're just, pretty good one of a kind mechs, not insanely powerful or anything.

besides that, if you haven't seen votoms, watch votoms, though it's definitely not recent.

Tales of Woe posted:

that mostly sounds like you're describing gundam though i haven't seen any of the recent gundams so i don't know which ones best fit that
gundam got a bit more super robot-y as it went on. like 00 and SEED both had robots with super modes.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

yeah I've never seen any gundam and there's too many to pick the right one

Also I guess it doesn't have to be mechs specifically, any sci-fi-ish war anime could do. I've seen Yukikaze recently and liked that a lot

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

Also I guess it doesn't have to be mechs specifically, any sci-fi-ish war anime could do. I've seen Yukikaze recently and liked that a lot

Sounds like you want Yamato 2199 if you haven't seen that already.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

the logh author has another, way worse, series you could check out called tytania

yamato 2199 is all prototype weapon but fits the rest
flag isn't epic scale but fits the rest
the sky crawlers you might find interesting for its insane detail plane fights
starship operators is very realistic sci fi
moonlight mile has like 2 space battles in its entire run, but it is adult sci fi

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

grate deceiver posted:

hmmm, it features high schoolers, but Banner of the Stars is basically LoGH-lite. (There is no high school antics in the series)

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Thanks everyone, looks like Yamato 2199 will hit the spot. I'll check the other ones as well

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

It's not recent but Fang of the Sun Dougram is what you really want if you want Mecha LoGH. The titular mecha doesn't even show up for like eight episodes.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Acerbatus posted:

ssss.gridman too.

I've gotten through 3 eps of this and I'm not sure what makes it great? Animation is nice but the story seems really generic so far. Does it get better?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I've gotten through 3 eps of this and I'm not sure what makes it great? Animation is nice but the story seems really generic so far. Does it get better?

Honestly, no. It's an absolutely bog standard "power of friendship" thing with above-average animation and a light dusting of foot fetish.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that doesn't sound like the same show i watched

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a story about teenagers dealing with depression and existence. if you're purely looking at it for the parts where gridman appears and punches a bad guy it's that i guess but. the emotional core is 100% in akane and rikka and it's entirely fueled their relationship with each other

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'll probably give it a couple more episodes and see if I get drawn in.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

The Colonel posted:

it's a story about teenagers dealing with depression and existence. if you're purely looking at it for the parts where gridman appears and punches a bad guy it's that i guess but. the emotional core is 100% in akane and rikka and it's entirely fueled their relationship with each other
I thought the emotional core was Samurai Calibur being an enormous (but lovable) weirdo.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

ehhhhh, it certainly has a formula that it sticks to outside of like once or twice. I was never particularly impressed w it, imo its cast is way too underdeveloped across the board to really strike at what its aiming at w any real profundity, but ymmv as always, it's a forum darling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what does forums darling mean in a 2020 adtrw where either some people agree a show is cool or people decide to vaguepost about how bad it is for 30 pages

as a young depressed lesbian i connected with the focus gridman placed on akane and rikka as teenagers struggling with living in a world that feels much greater than either of them individually, putting akane in a position where she felt inclined to do horrible things to maintain her own sense of emotional safety. i like that the show contrasts and eventually connects together both characters as integral to the show's emotional arc and themes. it's fair to say that outside of them the rest of the cast is fairly simple and undeveloped but i think calling akane or rikka undeveloped is disingenous, there's not a single episode of gridman that doesn't dedicate itself to explore them emotionally

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 10, 2020