Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Dalael posted:

Why was this reconquest so devastating compared to other times armies were marching allober Italy?

Because it just kept loving going year after year after year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dalael posted:

Why was this reconquest so devastating compared to other times armies were marching allober Italy?

Seventeen years of war with tons of sieges, carried on despite an outbreak of bubonic plague which killed 1/4 of the population. Milan, Naples and Rome all got starved out at least once and Rome was badly sacked. Also the extended violence pretty much annihilated the existing (Roman-descended) Gothic state structure and left much of Italy defenseless to another invasion (by the Lombards) shortly thereafter.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Robert Graves (of I Claudius fame) wrote a novel from Belisarius's perspective that covers the war in Italy (along with the rest of his career), Count Belisaurius. It's historical fiction and leans heavily into the more lurid, Procopian rumors about Justinian, but it's still a fun and interesting read

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 26, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like it'd be difficult to maintain slave labor on the relatively small ships that the Romans had on the Mediterranean. Like if there's just a few free members of the crew relying on big strong slaves to row the oars, it seems like it'd be easy to stage a coup and row off somewhere else.

I know that there were slave-like conditions during the age of sail, but then there were enough people aboard that there could be more of a defense against mutiny. And then the actual slaves kept in much worse condition where they could barely move, much less rise up.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, in the ancient Mediterranean the slave galley thing is largely a myth. Naval ships were rowed by the crew and merchant ships mostly sailed rather than rowing (and naval ships also mostly used sails outside of battle). I'm not going to say it never happened, but it was at least uncommon.

There was a train of thought the ancient Greeks had that a polis' military strength determined its government: strong cavalry produced monarchies, because only kings and their retinues can afford to own horses; strong infantry (hoplites specifically) produced oligarchies, because power was then held by a select land-owning citizenry; and strong navies produced democracies, because you needed all of your poor people to row. The idea that only people with a stake in government fought well was pretty strong.

Edit: I don't think it's fair to call ancient ships "small". Polyremes had crew counts that would not be surpassed until the advent of aircraft carriers. Warships did not usually go far from land and had no or very limited on-board crew accommodations, but they weren't exactly small. Later on ship sizes shrank, but even post-Actium the Romans kept some penteres and hexeres around as flagships.

FishFood fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 27, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So what did they do at night or on freight ships? Or were freight ships lightly crewed enough that they actually could have the dudes sleep and eat aboard?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ancient sailors liked to drop anchor or beach the ship every night if possible. If not I assume they just had rotations and kept sailing. We don't actually have a lot of material describing ancient ships unfortunately, a lot of what we know is from offhand remarks in written sources and shipwrecks.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Freight ships would not have nearly the same number of rowers if they had any at all. Their crews would be much, much smaller. When you look at a penteres, for example, it has a crew of about 400, 300 of which are rowers and 70 or 75 are marines. That leaves a deck crew of only about 25 or 30. A cargo ship of comparable size probably wouldn't have a crew much larger than that, and if it had oars would probably only have one bank of them. Oars on a cargo ship are for close maneuvering in a harbor; oars on a warship are for getting up to speed to turn your multi-ton wooden monument to the state/king into a huge waterborne battering ram, as well as close maneuvering.

From what I know, by the classical era, warships and cargo vessels were fundamentally different. The old pentekonters were multi-purpose ships, but the trieres and friends were only for war.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cargo ships looked totally different, number-reme type ships were warships.

This is a cargo ship model based on depictions in art:

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I've never seen a reproduction of a cargo ship and that's super rad, i love the goofy giant steering oars of the era. And yeah, if you look at the warships they were as narrow as they could make them for speed. I rowed boats in high school, (which is part of what got me interested in crazy galleys) and to go fast in the water with an oared vessel you want it to be as lean as possible. The warships had tiny holds and were very reliant on access to land for beaching overnight. Battles almost never occurred on the open ocean, and they were frequently in harbors or straits, which probably played a role in the giant increase in ship-size in the Hellenistic era.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm sure there's a lot of details that only someone really into ships could tell set it apart but to my untrained eye you could drop that same ship down anywhere in the next 2000 years or so and not have me think it's an obvious anachronism

I guess there's really only one shape that makes sense for a sail-drive wooden cargo ship

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The steering oars instead of a rudder would give it away at some times/places, at least. The style of rigging is probably a giveaway too, I don't know ships that well.

We're going to know a lot more about Roman ships since those completely preserved ones were found in the Black Sea. Going to be a whole lot of papers coming out of that site.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm sure there's a lot of details that only someone really into ships could tell set it apart but to my untrained eye you could drop that same ship down anywhere in the next 2000 years or so and not have me think it's an obvious anachronism

I guess there's really only one shape that makes sense for a sail-drive wooden cargo ship

Reminds me of a Chinese Junks, which basically look the same from the 10th century onward.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
One of the things that will always amaze me the most of the ancients, is the scale of these naval battles. We're talking hundreds of thousands of man at sea in some case. It's crazy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/HistoryofPersia/status/1276585885979553792

Twitter nonsense

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dalael posted:

One of the things that will always amaze me the most of the ancients, is the scale of these naval battles. We're talking hundreds of thousands of man at sea in some case. It's crazy.

Watching all those wooden ships grappling together on a rolling sea must have been sublime, in a terrible sort of way. No wonder the Emperors staged naval battles every now and again

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

There are a lot of primitive aspects to that ship:

1) Stump mast. The mainmast is a central pillar with no additional masts on top. This obviously limits the sail dimensions. Also it doesn't have any labor-saving innovations like junk sails or lug sails that you would associate with a modern small merchant ship.

2) Single mast with no boom. This design has a very limited ability to shift its center of lift with the wind. A post mast or a boom like on a modern sloop rig would extend the available sail configurations much further aft. The further forward the ship's center of lift, the worse sailing qualities it has close to the wind. The ancient design above would be a poor sailor with the wind anywhere forward of the beam. They don't have the option of setting sail further aft, which means that their sail plan and the wind on the boat itself will tend to push the bow around.

3) Inboard chains. This is a pretty minor thing, but look at how the main supports on either side of the mast connect to the deck. On later sailing ships they were attached to the hull outside of the rail, to clear the deck and improve structural strength.

4) No rudder. Obvious but it's hard to overstate how superior a rudder is to steering oars, both in the displacement of water and the mechanical advantage afforded by a long tiller connected to a pulley.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 27, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/McDougallSophia/status/1276540362434187266

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

Riace bronzes, discovered in a shipwreck off the coast of Italy. Manufactured in or near Athens.
i've never seen these before. sincere thanks for this.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

oh it probably is that. frickin' romans and their cut rate imitations. I wonder if ancient Romans had a saying like "made in Rome" for tasteless or tacky or cheap
there was a joke out there where a roman was buying greek sculpture but the boat sank and the shipment was lost. the punchline was he felt fine about it since he bought it by the pound, and could easily buy replacements. they're a proudly tacky people.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I recently finished up with I Podius, the I Claudius podcast, and I Claudius's take on Caligula and saying that he cannibalized his unborn child was something really crazy.

Also everybody in the show seems convinced for some reason that the Republic coming back was just around the corner, right up until Claudius tells his son to bring back the republic and his son doesn't know what that is.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

skasion posted:

Seventeen years of war with tons of sieges, carried on despite an outbreak of bubonic plague which killed 1/4 of the population. Milan, Naples and Rome all got starved out at least once and Rome was badly sacked. Also the extended violence pretty much annihilated the existing (Roman-descended) Gothic state structure and left much of Italy defenseless to another invasion (by the Lombards) shortly thereafter.

The war is very important, but I think the plague was even more important, because it fed into everything else. I wouldn't be shocked if it hit Italy harder due to food insecurity, which caused the cities to end up mostly abandoned due to initial sackings and subsequent plague. The nail in the coffin comes from the Empire losing a huge chunk of its tax base literally unable to afford the army Justinian could to conquer Italy from the Goths. Thus later Emperor's weren't able to defend against the Lombards because what troops they did have were needed to defend against the pressing Sassanids.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 27, 2020

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

i've never seen these before. sincere thanks for this.

Hegel are you still in Europe? The museum these are in is in Reggio Calabria in the toe of the boot in Italy. Next to being a few feet away at the code of hammurabi in the Louvre these are the coolest artifacts I've ever gotten to see, you should go when travel restrictions are lifted.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just bought a Nero tetradrachm:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Alhazred posted:

Just bought a Nero tetradrachm:

That's crazy.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know that there were slave-like conditions during the age of sail, but then there were enough people aboard that there could be more of a defense against mutiny. And then the actual slaves kept in much worse condition where they could barely move, much less rise up.

I mean there's 'using slaves as crew' and there's 'transporting slaves', which are two different things. I'm sure the Romans did plenty of the latter, but obviously over much shorter distances than the Atlantic and as a result with no need to overcrowd their ships.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Goddamn Trevor, the man's got a family...

:haibrow:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

bennyfactor posted:

Hegel are you still in Europe? The museum these are in is in Reggio Calabria in the toe of the boot in Italy. Next to being a few feet away at the code of hammurabi in the Louvre these are the coolest artifacts I've ever gotten to see, you should go when travel restrictions are lifted.

I think they were only first displayed in the seventies so they aren't the most famous work, but when they did appear they immediately become super popular. Unfortunately we have almost no context regarding the ship they sank on so it was very hard for experts to estimate when or where they were produced. However when conservators where attempting halt deterioration in the sculptures caused by its corroding iron skeleton, they found they were still full of the original clay the artists had built up around the frame during the design process. The geology of the clay was such that it could have only come from Athens or some neighboring islands under Athens control. That makes it extremely likely they were produced in an Athenian workshop sometime around the Athenian golden age.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

bennyfactor posted:

I am stranded in the US, since as it happens I was trying to do research in...well, a small town northwest of milan, in march 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Don Gato posted:

Reminds me of a Chinese Junks, which basically look the same from the 10th century onward.

I have a ship’s wheel from one of those, it’s about 250 years old.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I have a ship’s wheel from one of those, it’s about 250 years old.

Send pics pls

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Please get consent before sending people pictures of Chinese junk.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Please get consent before sending people pictures of Chinese junk.

Could be worse I accidentally had people googling Ram’s neck tape in the dangerous chemicals thread. There is an uh, farming, alternative to the marine tape I was referencing talking about securing hatch covers.

Any way my junk:

I remembered incorrectly tag says 150 to 250 years old. Heavy as hell. Iron and a hard wood I haven’t identified. I don’t really want to know the wood for a variety of reasons, please don’t guess.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Is it OK if we guess but don't tell you?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Yes.

It’s very probable that it’s a hardwood that is illegal to harvest anymore. It’s not illegal for me to have it because of its age. Just don’t post it here I don’t need people trying to steal it to make guitar bridges or inlays.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Speaking of owning old things, does anyone have any reproduction pottery in daily use? I wouldn't mind owning some Samian ware or orange/black figure, but they don't go very well with our interior. Particularly the Greek buggery...

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Probably fake history but still an interesting thread for the mythmaking parts of it:

https://twitter.com/AntiokhosE/status/1277150935781965824?s=20

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yes.

It’s very probable that it’s a hardwood that is illegal to harvest anymore. It’s not illegal for me to have it because of its age. Just don’t post it here I don’t need people trying to steal it to make guitar bridges or inlays.

OK, I'll bite. We don't know who you are and where you live, why do you think illegal wood harvesters would go through the length of tracking down some random goon?

As far as I know, that thing is probably more valuable as it is and you already confirmed you have it. Logically, you should be more afraid of random people showing up to steal that thing

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Probably fake history but still an interesting thread for the mythmaking parts of it:

https://twitter.com/AntiokhosE/status/1277150935781965824?s=20

Interesting and not entirely implausible. Although I'd say those faces look every bit as Afghan as Italian. However, these two lines...

quote:

DNA studies have been inconclusive.

quote:

The site superintendent told me funding dried up

Are probably related. It would be easy to show a link to the Romans with modern DNA techniques, they probably did and probably got some bad answers and swept the whole thing under the rug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Ola posted:

Interesting and not entirely implausible. Although I'd say those faces look every bit as Afghan as Italian. However, these two lines...

Are probably related. It would be easy to show a link to the Romans with modern DNA techniques, they probably did and probably got some bad answers and swept the whole thing under the rug.

Hmm.. odds are Crassus raised his legions in the east, so most of those legionaires probably came from wherever that was, not Italy.