Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ethiser posted:

I think as I do more sieges I just want to play factions that don’t have good ranged options because it means I can just rush the walls and get it over with.

Taking gates down in about 1.5 seconds with stone trolls makes me really sad when I switch to other factions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I kinda prefer having good ranged options because it means i can just ignore the fiddly wall controls and just shoot everyone.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i want to play as the tree king but i get too annoyed trying to take over the tree forest realm to get very far in wood elves

edit: the best sieges are the ones where you have poison wind mortars. the worst field battles are the ones where you have poison wind mortars, because they kill Literally All Your Guys if you don't turn off fire at will

tomorrow i am going to do a post recapping the lords i personally want most in the game in future, no theme beyond that

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm giving this game a try for the first time, on account of the Steam sale. I'm sure I'm not smart enough for it, but I did clear out the Cult of Excess so I've got that going for me.

I was just wondering if the entertainment income multiplier from Elven Gardens stack if I have more than one in a Province.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I'm giving this game a try for the first time, on account of the Steam sale. I'm sure I'm not smart enough for it, but I did clear out the Cult of Excess so I've got that going for me.

I was just wondering if the entertainment income multiplier from Elven Gardens stack if I have more than one in a Province.

Welcome! I am sure you are smart enough to play if you’re reading and thinking about buildings that much in your first campaign. To answer your question, they do stack IIRC. Not sure it’s the most efficient way to generate a lot of gold as high elves, though. The jewel making industry building is very solid, generally. Trading is very good for them as you probably already know. Also I remember the noble who had that economy boosting trait being very effective when sitting in lothern. Forget that trait name tho

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Re: Wood Elves, waywatchers aren't just "slightly better archers," they're in contention for best ranged unit in the game, at least equal to Sisters of Averlorn and in some cases substantially better. You have to be willing to micro them, but a stack of waywatchers with range upgrades will wipe entire endgame stacks before they even close to melee. They're absolutely absurd.

If you want to watch someone demolish seemingly impossible odds with basically nothing but waywatchers and Orion, over and over and over again, I give you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu4F3j24tTk

and its followup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_5mkv8CWMA

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
wood elf units are good, it's just their campaign mechanics whcih suck rear end

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Kestral posted:

Re: Wood Elves, waywatchers aren't just "slightly better archers," they're in contention for best ranged unit in the game, at least equal to Sisters of Averlorn and in some cases substantially better. You have to be willing to micro them, but a stack of waywatchers with range upgrades will wipe entire endgame stacks before they even close to melee. They're absolutely absurd.

If you want to watch someone demolish seemingly impossible odds with basically nothing but waywatchers and Orion, over and over and over again, I give you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu4F3j24tTk

and its followup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_5mkv8CWMA

imagine 100 Kerillians shouting "Lumberfoots!"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm thinking of trying a Nakai ME campaign. Is it a good idea to make a second lord and sail him around to get loot and nothing else? Since Nakai apparently doesn't get supply lines, and I figure I need some more income other than from the Defenders' settlements.

I was also considering an Aranessa ME campaign, how viable is a primarily-Sartosan army? Obviously I'd still have mortars and stuff, but are the Sartosans good for line infantry. Might just have regular armies for the non-Aranessa lords.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Playing as Grom in ME I beat Skarsnik and confederated him. Later on he was wounded, but he hasn't come back yet. I see him grayed out in the Lord selection screen. It's been probably 15 turns. This a bug?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

LORDS I WANT TO SEE

its time for me to list the lords i most want to see in this series in the future, regardless of how likely they are to make it in. this list will go on over many posts

#1 - SLAMBO, EVERCHOSEN (by the fans)

Faction: warriors of chaos
Chances of being added: 0.1%

i was probably predictable with this pick, as i have talked at length about slambo before, but I think I can do him better justice this time.

if you aren't already a fan of Slambo you are probably wondering "who the gently caress is slambo and why does he have fans?". Well, slambo was a very early warriors of chaos mini from the very old days of warhammer:

he was called Slambo because they just gave all the generic minis funny names in the old days. he was a cool and popular model, but did not reach the level of fame he would later on. his model served as the basis for one of the minis in the heroquest boardgame, but that was about it. back in those days (i am told) warhammer had basically no named characters in the lore the way it does now, heinrich kemmler was the first, but prior to that it was about inventing your own dudes for your little army. so slambo wasn't really a character, he was a cool model with a goofy cool name.

Slambo was rediscovered around the time of Storm of Chaos. this was the disasterous event where games workshop first introduced Archaon the Everchodeman, and was their trial run of the end times. enough time had passed since slambo's creation that warhammer fantasy was now flooded with named characters, more than you could shake a stick at. and as all of us know, most of those characters are pretty cool. but archaon was brand new, and games workshop were pushing him extremely aggressively because (as with the real end times) they wanted chaos to win and end the warhammer fantasy world.

now my first exposure to archaon was in total war, and I thought he looked pretty cool. A semi-generic evil knight guy with preposterously huge horns, with a boomy evil voice. basically darth vader. but the more you find out about how tough, powerful, and special he is, the less cool he gets. and GW pushed him so far he became the Poochie of warhammer fantasy.

Then someone rediscovered Slambo. a character from an earlier time. He looked cool, had a cool name, and that was it. he doesn't have a magic mega pony with 4 heads and 10 different magic items with their own lore, he has armour and two axes. he represented the fun and innocent spirit that the ultra edgy and dark storyline of Archaon totally lacked. where archaon was a forced (and failed) meme, slambo became a genuine meme. Didn't like archaon? slambo did all that stuff. Don't like bel'akor? slambo did all that stuff. Sick of kharn the betrayer being a super edgelord? Slambo was in 40k too.

at the time i imagine GW were pretty mad at slambo, but since then GW has come under new management, and post-end times slambo received his own new model, usable in AoS, warhammer fantasy, and hero quest. his traits are that he is huge, he has two axes, and he can throw one of the axes if he wants.

now you're probably saying 'yeah we get it he's a nostalgic meme character, but he basically isn't a character, so why do you want him in total war?', and my answer to that is that is absolutely why I want slambo to be in total war. CA can do whatever they want with slambo, and all the best stuff in the past two games have been the things where CA got to fill in gaps and basically make up their own characters or characterisation for minor characters. there are basically 0 cool characters who are appropriate as new lords for warriors of chaos (rather than demons of chaos), and warriors of chaos desperately need an overhaul and at least one new lord.

Slambo isn't tied to one chaos god like all the other characters, and he is a very cool design and beloved character that I think CA could do wonders with.

#2 - SKRETCH HALF-DEAD, CAPTAIN OF THE SKABRUS

Faction: vampire coast
Chances of being added: 0

Skretch Half-Dead is a character from the game Dreadfleet, where aranessa saltspite and count noctilus are from. Skretch started out life as the warlord of Clan Skurvy, the mandatory clan of skaven pirates. he was a terror of the high seas, until one day his crew spied a huge chunk of warpstone floating in the ocean, likely a meteor crashed down from morrslieb. skaven are not known for their strong forward-planning abilities, so he ordered the crew to haul it aboard, salivating at the idea of consuming a multi-ton boulder of pure crack rock.

It turned out to be the anglerfish-style lure of a leviathan, and his ship was promptly swallowed whole.

But skaven never go down without at least trying to retreat first, so once inside the leviathan the entire crew tried chewing their way out of the beast's belly. They did not succeed, eventually suffocating, but they did manage to wound the creature enough for it to slowly bleed to death before they died.

Some time later old count noctilus was tooling around the ocean looking for big corpses to raise up for some nefarious scheme. He summoned the body of the anglerfish leviathan up from the deep and poured necromantic energies into it. and to his dismay, in addition to the great monster coming back to life, a bunch of annoying talking undead rats also crawled out from the holes between its ribs.

Now stuck with Skretch and his undead crew, Noctilus put them to work combining the corpse of the leviathan with the wreckage of the skaven ship inside it, creating the fearsome warship known as the Skabrus.

if the concept of undead pirate skaven sailing around in a giant undead sea monster doesn't appeal to you, i feel very sorry for you. the voice acting alone would be amazing, as would the dynamic with noctilus, who in this case is cast as a kind of reluctant pet owner. i would like to see Skretch as a 5th vampire coast lord, with a few special skaven pirate units like aranessa has. I was disappointed he was not added in the vampire coast dlc to start with, but that is life. I do not think he will be added as he has no clear rival to do a lord pack with, and the vampire coast are already a very fully featured faction and probably won't be updated.

#3 - THE BLUE SCRIBES

Faction: Daemons (Tzeentch)
Chances of being added: 30%

Xirat'p and P'tarix are the blue scribes of tzeentch, two blue horrors tasked with tracking down and recording every spell in existence, in order to reclaim tzeentch's scattered power from the universe. if you're of a cunning and logical mind, you might think "but wait, if they collect every spell in the universe, won't they have claimed tzeentch's might themselves?". tzeentch thought of that. P'tarix can instinctively write down any spell he sees as magical glyphs, but does not know how to read. Xirat'p can instinctively read magical glyphs aloud and perfectly cast the spells, but can't actually understand what the text says, just recite it.

They fly around together on their big tzeentch disc, P'tarix records every spell he sees and stabs anyone who gets too close with his quills, while Xirat'p is constantly loving yelling and randomly casting spells he doesn't understand. naturally their relationship involves a great deal of abbot & costello style bickering.

on the tabletop they receive random bound spells they can cast with no miscast chance and no mana cost, which could be interesting in total war. in 40k (demons exist in both universes) zthey also get stronger the more the enemy casts spells, which could also be tied into them in total war.

I think these two are a fun pick because of the aforementioned bickering, the neat gimmick, and the fact they're the only tzeentch character you are going to get who isn't constantly sucking their own ever-changing dick about how smart and cunning they are. they are just a continuous flying three stooges show with magic. I gave them a higher chance of getting in over the other two I've mentioned because they have a model being actively sold for a current game, so that's good.

otherwise we are just going to get the changeling or kairos fateweaver, and who wants them?

NEXT POST - MORE DAEMONS!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

KingKapalone posted:

Playing as Grom in ME I beat Skarsnik and confederated him. Later on he was wounded, but he hasn't come back yet. I see him grayed out in the Lord selection screen. It's been probably 15 turns. This a bug?

There are A TON of scripting bugs at the moment, especially in the beta.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What races have both good ranged and good pursuit units?

I enjoy my HE campaigns until late game when their archers stop being able to hurt anything.

I've played a lot of Empire. They have a really nice mix of all the tools. The only real problem is that their production buildings are so expensive it takes forever to actually unlock them all. It also feels weird that the tiny unit size demigryph knights are more effective than the higher unit count cav units.

Dwarves and Lizardmen are both tons of fun, but I've not found a unit in either roster that can hunt down routing units, so I end up having to fight every battle at least twice.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
He has a captive bead nipple ring through his helmet and two axes. Any more flair, and it would be overkill.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I want Harald Hammerstorm

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

LLSix posted:

I enjoy my HE campaigns until late game when their archers stop being able to hurt anything.

I've played a lot of Empire. They have a really nice mix of all the tools. The only real problem is that their production buildings are so expensive it takes forever to actually unlock them all. It also feels weird that the tiny unit size demigryph knights are more effective than the higher unit count cav units.

Dwarves and Lizardmen are both tons of fun, but I've not found a unit in either roster that can hunt down routing units, so I end up having to fight every battle at least twice.

Dwarfs have the best pursuit units: bullets and cannons. Nothing can out-pace a volley of rifle fire and/or artillery. And once they're out of range, whatever. Slayers are pretty fast and can outrun most infantry.

Dark Elfs have excellent ranged, and if you're mostly pursuing, the otherwise not-great cavalry is good. I think they're p fast.

Obviously Empire are great, especially pistols.

Wood Elfs are, by far, the best roster in my opinion and wild riders aren't just excellent pursuers, they're also the best unit in the game.

Tomb Kings secretly have absurdly effective ranged units. Skeleton archers are solid, actually, more solid than they should be for a chaff T1 unit. Chariots can also really gently caress up masses of troops and scatter them for easy-pickings. And TKs can so easily overwhelm dudes with stacks. Then you have the jackal-statues that have bows that are actually laser cannons who are also solid solid melee troops, and the skull-a-pult and the ghost-altar-cannon.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

LLSix posted:

For pursuit units, Beastmen have great selection of them; Minotaurs, Centigors and War hounds(hounds are the best chase unit in game by far for any faction who can get em), bonus point is that near all their base infantry can outrun most other factions infantry (besides Skaven and Skinks).
And for ranged Beastmen have Cygors which is one of the best artillery units in the game, but other then Cygors their options are limited, Beastmen base archers are decent but they have little to no AP, and while Centigors with throwing axes have ok AP they have poor range and require bit of micro.

Vampire coast has some great ranged units, loads of gunpowder, letting them outshot many factions, but for pursuit their only fast unit good for hunting down routing units is Scurvy Dogs, the rest of their roster is on the slow side.

Chaos and Norsca both have little to no ranged options, but access to War hounds and Marauder Horsemen both who are excellent at killing routing units.

Skaven (clan Skrye specifically) has amazing ranged units(Jezails, Ratling Gunners, Poisonwind Mortars and Plaugeclaws) and can often easily shoot units dead before they have a chance to route out of range.
For Skaven pursuit units most of the ninja rats (Gutter Runners) are good for making sure routing enemies have little chance to escape the battle alive, but their speed just barely can't keep up to catch medium or light cavalry units. Runners are also limited by ammo to do most of the killing.

Dark Elfs have couple good ranged options (Darkshards are solid throughout campaign and so are Shades) and a decent pursuit unit with Doomfire Warlocks, but Dark Elfs isn't the best at either, their faction is overall more balanced across the board with good infantry options, great monsters and solid heroes.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

LLSix posted:

I've played a lot of Empire. They have a really nice mix of all the tools. The only real problem is that their production buildings are so expensive it takes forever to actually unlock them all. It also feels weird that the tiny unit size demigryph knights are more effective than the higher unit count cav unit.

Seconding Wood Elves, amazing ranges, every elf-based unit except eternal guards are fast, wardancers amazingly so. The amber mechanic is annoying but if you ally the ordertide it quickly solves itself. If you want to spice the campaign up tho, go full winter court Cytharai and rampage against the ordertide while broing it up with Ikit Claw :black101:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
wood elves have a pretty wacky roster, especially in single player. overall I'm sure it's balanced for multiplayer or whatever, but some of the individual units really are powerhouses. wild riders are excellent cav, waywatchers are insane archers, they have access to life and shadows. even eternal guard are pretty nuts - t1 infantry with a shield, anti-large, charge defence, and armor piercing

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Truecon420 posted:

Welcome! I am sure you are smart enough to play if you’re reading and thinking about buildings that much in your first campaign. To answer your question, they do stack IIRC. Not sure it’s the most efficient way to generate a lot of gold as high elves, though. The jewel making industry building is very solid, generally. Trading is very good for them as you probably already know. Also I remember the noble who had that economy boosting trait being very effective when sitting in lothern. Forget that trait name tho

Good to know. I'm just like "Need more gold" and building everything that promises it to me. I should probably look up some build priorities.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I just want Naestra and Arahan.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

raverrn posted:

I just want Naestra and Arahan.

Brass Bull vs Sisters of Twilight for next dlc/faction rework please CA.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

LLSix posted:

Vampire coast is also the 'ranged only army' counterpart to Vampire counts.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Things that almost assuredly won't get added to WH3 but that I want, regardless: Cathay.

Because I like the idea of Karl and the Dragon Emperor hellmarching across the Dark Lands and then brofisting Chaos into oblivion. Plus, if the map just sort of stops at Mountains of Mourn and the Maw I would be sad.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really wish they'd put some sort of limit on the Greenskin confederation. I shouldn't be trying to stop a 20 region Grimgor on turn 20 .

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

LLSix posted:

Wood Elves have the best archers in the game period, and one of the if not the best medium cav in the game (those stag riders). Too bad their race mechanics suuuuuck.

Empire has both decent archers (the Hunters are nothing to write home about but they do their job very adequately, esp. with a Hunter lord), a killer gunline and a half-decent cavalry roster. The heavy cav is overcosted and bad ; but outriders are really good at what they do (both the musket and the grenade variety). Very wide choice of magic, too.

Skaven probably have the killiest ranged in the game, period - plague mortars & jezzails & zappyguns for when they're far away, ratlings & mages for when they get close (and you don't want them any closer), plus Menace Below to both blob the enemy or nix their own ranged/arty. Pursuit is less good since they lack cavalry, but gutter runners are pretty drat fast and can catch up with most anything non-cav and non-skink. Rogers are also somewhat fast, as monsters go.

Dark elves also have very good shooty units - darkshards and shades are pretty much all you need to win battles. They're AP, they fire fast, they're shielded, and when they've killed enough they get even more killy. Oh, and the witch elves can tackle cavalry or monsters just before they reach your dozen of Xbows - watch them melt instantly under withering fire. Arty-wise though, bolt throwers are fairly bad and that's all you get.
Pursuit is less good, dark riders are meh and cold ones, while OK, are slower than most cav.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

LLSix posted:

If you like the HE, get the DLC and just replace your archers with Sisters of Avelorn in the late game. They shred everything. I finished the Vortex campaign with nothing but stacks of SOA running around stomping everything, but ultimately it is pretty cheesy and it might not be your thing if you like more varied armies.

Chasing down fleeing units after their army routed is not as essential as it might seem at first. On higher difficulties you might actually want to fight some battle at least twice if you can win them easily, since it gives more experience for your lord and heroes. In some situations it is better not to kill a weakened enemy lord in battle, because he will be replaced with a full health lord who will be harder to kill in the follow-up battle. Chasing down and killing large monster units or archers can be good, but chasing down that half-health unit of spearmen is mostly useless since you'll just break them immediately in the follow-up.

Having some cavalry to kill the routing units is fine, but cavalry is not amazing overall (especially on the harder difficulties) and it's more important to have the type of army that can win most efficiently in most situations. Still, to answer your question: Tomb Kings have some cool Tomb Prince heroes who can equip chariots (and get the Chariot Master trait for huge charge bonuses), so they can run down high value targets easily. They also have amazing artillery in the Casket of Souls, and the giant undead archers can even destroy towers in sieges. And the Tomb King campaign in ME is pretty fun too. Bretonnia is mostly made out of cavalry and you can spam the peasant archers and the blessed trebuchets.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

Dark elves also have very good shooty units - darkshards and shades are pretty much all you need to win battles. They're AP, they fire fast, they're shielded, and when they've killed enough they get even more killy. Oh, and the witch elves can tackle cavalry or monsters just before they reach your dozen of Xbows - watch them melt instantly under withering fire. Arty-wise though, bolt throwers are fairly bad and that's all you get.
Pursuit is less good, dark riders are meh and cold ones, while OK, are slower than most cav.

Medusa also seem to function as mobile gauss rifles and I don’t really know how you’d class them, but they can sure rack up kills.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I really wish they'd put some sort of limit on the Greenskin confederation. I shouldn't be trying to stop a 20 region Grimgor on turn 20 .

In my playthroughs the Orcs don't really confederate but BOY HOWDY do the Dark Elves sure love confederating.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

In my playthroughs the Orcs don't really confederate but BOY HOWDY do the Dark Elves sure love confederating.

This is my experience except for every game where I play dark elves and then they never, EVER, want to confederate.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
What the gently caress is up with skaven right now? I've just tried to play imrik on ME and eshin has four stacks on me by the time i've secured the first province.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

In my Lizardmen playthrough, the Dark Elves confederated under Darth Oedpius Malekith, took over Lustria and Ulthuan (though the Ordertide is slowly kicking them out of The Doughnut), and just now my lizards have established a foothold in Lustria and are proceeding to feed every edgelord elf they find to the carnosaurs.

And in my Empire campaign, I'm dealing with confederated Dark Elves and the Skaven at the same after wiping out the Vampires, and Archaon still hasn't come over to say hello.

(P.S.: Download this mod to recruit LLs from wiped out factions and this one to buy and give settlements to other factions).

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

juggalo baby coffin posted:

LORDS I WANT TO SEE

its time for me to list the lords i most want to see in this series in the future, regardless of how likely they are to make it in. this list will go on over many posts

#1 - SLAMBO, EVERCHOSEN (by the fans)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7b0eg4nd-s

But replace Dumbo with Slambo

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
Wouldn't Skaven also be able to use Doomflayers as rout chasers? I never made good use of them in my campaign, but they could fill that slot no?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
With skaven everything is a rout chaser because they're faster than everyone else by default.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
High Elves have some of the best pursuers and skirmishers in the game in the form of Reavers, and they even have Eagles which can do the same in the air. Dark Riders are almost as good at it for Druchii.

Skinks and Ripperdactyls are effective pursuers. As noted many Skaven infantry are fast enough to pursue enemies off the field.

Dogs/wolves are pursuit specialists, the dust puppies you get as Arkan the Black will kill hundreds of peasants a battle in the early stages of his campaign if you hold them back for pursuit.

When a unit is fleeing anything that attacks it gets double its charge bonus (and is probably rolling against its low rear MD). So good pursuers don’t need great general stats but benefit greatly from a good charge bonus. That’s why dogs are good (low cost, fast, good charge bonus, high model count).

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 28, 2020

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
It rarely occurs to me to actually hold units in reserve to fill a function like route chasing. Usually I would just let my cavalry chase down whatever their rear charge caused to route. I should make a conscious effort to bring a fast reserve unit to handle the mop up and let those cavalry keep doing real work.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

The issue with rout chasing is that any unit with a charge bonus applies it’s full charge bonus for every attack it makes to a routing unit. This is why hound units and light calvary will basically annihilate anything they are chasing as long as they aren’t super elite units. Shaven skirmishers just doing ranged damage doesn’t wipe out a routing unit nearly as quickly as even light calvary in my experience.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Having one unit of light cav on hand (or dogs if you play a dog team) is always sweet. They've saved my bacon on many occassions by running down units that would have otherwise rallied and caused me big issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Chocobo posted:

It rarely occurs to me to actually hold units in reserve to fill a function like route chasing. Usually I would just let my cavalry chase down whatever their rear charge caused to route. I should make a conscious effort to bring a fast reserve unit to handle the mop up and let those cavalry keep doing real work.

I feel like I get a lot of value from dogs as VCounts since everything has fear, you've got a lot of terror, your infantry is slow, death magic can help break lines, and a lot of the heavy hitters aren't too fast themselves. And with Isabella especially the dogs aren't too bad in a pinch, so you can break some high value targets, move your heavy hitters to keep rolling up the line, and two dogs are more than fast enough to pursue several units of much higher value than them which means you can keep terror-routing their army with your slow line and heavy hitters.

VCounts probably get the most value from them (being able to raise them early helps) and they don't have ranged either. Other factions benefit from them a bit less I think, but they can be a good use of skirmish cav if you have them.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 29, 2020