Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Or even weirdos who like coleslaw.

my life goal is to find every coleslaw recipe i can and make it at least once

mayo based, vinegar based, curtido, it's all great and all different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my life goal is to find every coleslaw recipe i can and make it at least once

mayo based, vinegar based, curtido, it's all great and all different

hard disagree.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
cabbage in all its forms is a transcendent ingredient

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Pop a teaspoon full of black mustard seeds in butter.
Add a chopped leek and olive oil for about 5 minutes, enough to get good color on the leek but not fully cook it.
Add half a head of chopped cabbage, liberally sprinkle with olive oil and season. Cook for 5 or 6 minutes so the cabbage is still sweet and the leek finishes.

That's my go-to side dish and a great celebration of cabbage.

This recipe came to us with sour cream on the leek and cabbage stages, mom and I immediately substituted Greek yogurt. Then one time I started it and found I was out of yogurt, so I just used olive oil and that works the best.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 27, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

There is bad coleslaw because there are bad coleslaw recipes (or at least people not following a recipe properly)

but more important, there is bad coleslaw because people aren't fully aware of proper food safety techniques.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Skwirl posted:

There is bad coleslaw because there are bad coleslaw recipes (or at least people not following a recipe properly)

but more important, there is bad coleslaw because people aren't fully aware of proper food safety techniques.

maybe your immune system shouldn't be a little bitch?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Coleslaw is great. Cut the majo with a little yogurt, and use as much lemon juice as you can while keeping it creamy.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Skwirl posted:

hard disagree.

What about coleslaw at Disneyworld?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Toho doesn't own half the world so that's a really stupid comparison.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

someone please make corona go faster, work is absolute hell now and I don't want to go in

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

ughhhh posted:

I work as a sous and one of the chefs I worked with asked me to help reopen a restaurant I worked at (high-end Instagram club/restaurant)...
I am not going to call back people I love and care for to work if this poo poo is just going to start all over again. I can go upstate and shovel goatshit all summer, but I have people asking me where I am and if I need workers and I cannot in good conscience ask them to come to work without at least fighting to make sure they have some support. Many of them have taken lower paying jobs working delivery places and they need better paying jobs which I could provide... But the risks atm just seem too much.

Just so defeated and scared.

I’d take the goat poo poo. The nightclub style restaurant isn’t coming back any time soon, and if it does it will most certainly attract the kind of people who are going to be spreaders. I also don’t know what your hot line or dish pit looked like, but I’ve never worked anywhere that an extra inch wasn’t given over to the dining room, and dishes are going to be a nightmare in terms of aerosolizing the virus...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why is the restaurant industry such a low-margin gig?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I suspect relatively low entry costs leading to massive competition.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I'm gonna be honest. I miss the halcyon days 2 months ago when we were take out only and no one gave a gently caress about gluten.

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 28, 2020

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

ulmont posted:

I suspect relatively low entry costs leading to massive competition.

That along with "well I can cook for myself at home why should I pay $18 for a burger" and massive chains being able to supply huge plates of food for bare minimum costs so then the independents have to compete with $12 plates, even if their food is much better quality and much more expensive to produce. Chains can also employ minimum wage workers (sub-living wage) because they're set up to just be able to plug bodies into stations with no required knowledge and produce food. Basically, gently caress chain corporations, and gently caress people not being willing to pay adequately for food.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Independent restaurants are lovely as hell, too imo.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Your locally grown organic artisinal products may in fact be corrupted!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'll be up front about it: Because systematic wage suppression has created a society where the working class can't afford to pay what it costs to make good food ethically, with properly compensated labor.

Hence why a sit down meal at your average diner has gone up by a couple bucks in the last twenty years, while inflation means that $1 in 2020 is worth $1.50 in 2000 equivalent dollars. Wages haven't kept up, so either restaurants run on the slimmest of margins while they cut labor costs as much as possible, or they go under.

Very little between fast food and the high end price point is going to survive this recession.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Naelyan posted:

That along with "well I can cook for myself at home why should I pay $18 for a burger" and massive chains being able to supply huge plates of food for bare minimum costs so then the independents have to compete with $12 plates, even if their food is much better quality and much more expensive to produce. Chains can also employ minimum wage workers (sub-living wage) because they're set up to just be able to plug bodies into stations with no required knowledge and produce food. Basically, gently caress chain corporations, and gently caress people not being willing to pay adequately for food.

Going out to eat is already prohibitively expensive for most people, ranging from 2% - 20% of the average monthly take home for a single person where I live, and we have a lot less wealth disparity than in the US. Increasing the cost just seems like saying "gently caress everyone but the 1%".

thotsky fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 28, 2020

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Even high end places pay poo poo wages. I worked at a now Michelin starred place (it hadn't gotten stars yet when I worked there) and they were paying me $12.00 an hour when I started. That was after I talked them up to a higher wage because I had a decade of experience already.

I only took the job because I knew it would look good on a resume and I was single and could live cheaply.

That's kinda what they count on. Most people working there put in about a year so they can slap it on a resume and then move on to bigger and better things. I stayed there 3 1/2 years and left after it was clear there was no hope of a more senior position being offered there.

The last straw was when I found an ad from the place looking for a Pastry Sous Chef a position I was more than qualified for but because of kitchen politics it wasn't even mentioned it was available.

The person that replaced me when I left was getting paid even less than I was for the same position.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

PurplPenisEata posted:

I worked at a place that added Granny Smith apple shreds to coleslaw. I really liked it. But I like most any slaw.

i'm a big fan of apple/jicama slaws when you want a nice cooling side

mllaneza posted:

Dried blueberries in a creamy slaw.

stealing this, even though i don't really care for creamy slaws. i've tried dried crans and finely chopped nuts to good effect before, though. i think one of my biggest generalized slaw problems is that 99% of them don't have any kind of herbs or anything added (the same goes for way too many salads).

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I think Asian slaw usually has like, cilantro at least.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

Even high end places pay poo poo wages. I worked at a now Michelin starred place (it hadn't gotten stars yet when I worked there) and they were paying me $12.00 an hour when I started. That was after I talked them up to a higher wage because I had a decade of experience already.

I only took the job because I knew it would look good on a resume and I was single and could live cheaply.

That's kinda what they count on. Most people working there put in about a year so they can slap it on a resume and then move on to bigger and better things. I stayed there 3 1/2 years and left after it was clear there was no hope of a more senior position being offered there.

The last straw was when I found an ad from the place looking for a Pastry Sous Chef a position I was more than qualified for but because of kitchen politics it wasn't even mentioned it was available.

The person that replaced me when I left was getting paid even less than I was for the same position.

Staging has finally gotten enough bad publicity to turn opinions on it but for the longest time the argument was without hordes of young skilled chefs to work for free none of these world class places like Noma could exist at all.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Well, I mean, you're using a system that was designed to accommodate royalty. What did people think would happen when the middle class expected the same treatment? Who pays the difference?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

pentyne posted:

Staging has finally gotten enough bad publicity to turn opinions on it but for the longest time the argument was without hordes of young skilled chefs to work for free none of these world class places like Noma could exist at all.

I worked with one of those people who came out of Noma and he expected me to work unpaid like he did at Noma putting extra hours outside of work hours. gently caress them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Well, I mean, you're using a system that was designed to accommodate royalty. What did people think would happen when the middle class expected the same treatment? Who pays the difference?

Listening to people explain their expectations and tipping habits is a great way to identify lovely personalities for how they treat everyone in life.

So you expect to be 100% wholly catered to, every whim and demand, and if you see a waitress frown you only tip a $1 if everything else was perfect? Cool, you can die in a fire.

ughhhh posted:

I worked with one of those people who came out of Noma and he expected me to work unpaid like he did at Noma putting extra hours outside of work hours. gently caress them.

All the fawning media Rene has ever been in he talks about time intensive and laborious all his world class dishes are, and on the back of every single dish is 40 hours of unpaid labor. He outright defends the idea that without a small army of unpaid labor he could never run the restaurant.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 28, 2020

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
One thing is cooks being willing to work for poo poo/no pay; I can sort of get it; people believe there's a status that comes with it, jobs like that are in short supply if you've got no means or education. The only other option being the military maybe? Where I have trouble is that if all of these restaurants operate on the slimmest of margins, could not afford to pay their cooks more if they wanted to, and seemingly go out of business quite often, why are new ones being opened at all? It doesn't sound like a great investment.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hubris

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I've decided to take the 3 weeks of paid leave my employer offered when the virus exploded. Partially because I feel a little sick, mostly because it was driving me a little crazy going in to that dining hall every day and sitting on my rear end because there's no work to do, waiting to find out when we're all getting laid off, worrying that the farts lingering in the bathroom can transmit Covid. I feel for all of you out there in restaurant-land.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

thotsky posted:

One thing is cooks being willing to work for poo poo/no pay; I can sort of get it; people believe there's a status that comes with it, jobs like that are in short supply if you've got no means or education. The only other option being the military maybe? Where I have trouble is that if all of these restaurants operate on the slimmest of margins, could not afford to pay their cooks more if they wanted to, and seemingly go out of business quite often, why are new ones being opened at all? It doesn't sound like a great investment.

I know in NYC that many of the higher end restaurants are used as tax write-offs for the investors. Usually restaurants are used to up the value of property or location. None of the restaurants actually turn a profit and that gets used as a write-off or loss, but the value added to the property ends up being more than the loss and taxes don't have to be paid by the investors because the loss offsets the rise in value.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Every day we stray further from gods light

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

And cocaine.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

I wanted to murder the customer this week who needed gluten free bread with his app but was okay with the breadcrumbs in his crabcake. That's not how gluten intolerance works, motherfucker.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
maybe they just like really dense bad bread

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mezzanon posted:

Nahh, that's fine. I adore cooked mushrooms, but putting them raw into a salad is just wasting an ingredient that could be made delicious with the skillful application of heat.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

JawKnee posted:

maybe they just like really dense bad bread

Still a good enough reason to kick them out imo

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
If a customer tells their server they’re allergic to something, but then say “oh a little is ok.” when told that I can’t make their order without it, I apologize and tell the server that I don’t care for charges of gross negligence manslaughter.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Nahh, that's fine. I adore cooked mushrooms, but putting them raw into a salad is just wasting an ingredient that could be made delicious with the skillful application of heat.

It doesn't say they're raw.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I hate raw mushrooms too and assume they'd be raw in a salad too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Well gently caress all of you salad originalists.