Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Pwnstar posted:

Outer Wilds seems really good but I had to return it because I apparently have a phobia of being in space?
some people just arent cut out for the Space Force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Pwnstar posted:

Outer Wilds seems really good but I had to return it because I apparently have a phobia of being in space?

Try Subnautica next and discover your other phobias!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Hub Cat posted:

Friend you are always in space.

Welp, now I'm hosed.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Thanks to the thread for the Slime Rancher recommendation. It is one of the most calming yet addictive games I've played and only $6.

Also, I don't know if it's from playing too much Disco Elysium, but even a game about creating a farm of slimes that poop valuable minerals has me thinking "am I the oppressor?"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

brittle hollow never stopped scaring the absolute poo poo out of me

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Anyway I've been having fun with Fallen Order, the combat isn't as tight as I'd like but it's fun. I'm pretty terrible at doing reviews but maybe I'll write more later

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ymgve posted:

Try Subnautica next and discover your other phobias!

You don't even need to try Subnautica, just travel to Dark Bramble. One thing that does hold me back in Outer Wilds is the central conceit, since I'm really bad at racing against a clock, especially when I'm deep somewhere like in Ember Twin or Brittle Hollow. I was screwing around in the Tower of Quantum Knowledge and the sunken city and ran out of time in both places before I got to fully explore them.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Folks always mention the darkness from going to the depths of the ocean or the emptiness of space as common phobias, but I gotta congratulate Outer Wilds for introducing me to one I had never considered in my life, being in a cave that is slowly being flooded with ash until any way out is engulfed and I'm crushed on the ceiling.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

McCoy Pauley posted:

Earlier in the thread there was discussion of an RPG/Minesweeper rogue-like -- anyone recall what game that was, and if it was worth checking that?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1141220/DemonCrawl/

i have 67 hours in it and think you should play it

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
Was thinking of picking up AC:Odyssey, is the season path worth the extra? If not I'm gonna pick up Origins also, as its the same price as the season pass for Odyssey.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Folks always mention the darkness from going to the depths of the ocean or the emptiness of space as common phobias, but I gotta congratulate Outer Wilds for introducing me to one I had never considered in my life, being in a cave that is slowly being flooded with ash until any way out is engulfed and I'm crushed on the ceiling.

yeah the ash twins hit the "claustrophobia" button with a giant cartoon mallet

Brother Buer
Oct 23, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

You don't even need to try Subnautica, just travel to Dark Bramble. One thing that does hold me back in Outer Wilds is the central conceit, since I'm really bad at racing against a clock, especially when I'm deep somewhere like in Ember Twin or Brittle Hollow. I was screwing around in the Tower of Quantum Knowledge and the sunken city and ran out of time in both places before I got to fully explore them.

The music when sun is about to go supernovahas gotten me killed so many times in game since I just start rushing as soon as I hear it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Subbz posted:

Was thinking of picking up AC:Odyssey, is the season path worth the extra? If not I'm gonna pick up Origins also, as its the same price as the season pass for Odyssey.

Odyssey's DLC was explained to me to be all post-game stuff or cosmetics, so pick it up later.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Hey, steam thread. I like The Surge, despite the rough edges it has. I like the dual-linked and single-handed weapons, because everything else feels too slow, takes too much stamina, and doesn't let me dodge out of the way as quickly (because of recovery time, not any inherent dodge boost with those weapons, because that isn't a thing). I will probably get either Surge 2 or Jedi Fallen Order in this sale. Does anyone have any strong arguments for/against one of those games? I have a tolerance for jank (piranha bytes 4 lyfe), so that isn't a discouragement. I also like fashion barbie dress-ups, so bonus points for whatever game lets me dress my videogame swordfighter in bright pink whatever.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

beats for junkies posted:

Hey, steam thread. I like The Surge, despite the rough edges it has. I like the dual-linked and single-handed weapons, because everything else feels too slow, takes too much stamina, and doesn't let me dodge out of the way as quickly (because of recovery time, not any inherent dodge boost with those weapons, because that isn't a thing). I will probably get either Surge 2 or Jedi Fallen Order in this sale. Does anyone have any strong arguments for/against one of those games? I have a tolerance for jank (piranha bytes 4 lyfe), so that isn't a discouragement. I also like fashion barbie dress-ups, so bonus points for whatever game lets me dress my videogame swordfighter in bright pink whatever.

If you have gamepass, Surge 2 is on that

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Outer Wilds has taught me I have a deep phobia of Giant fish creatures hiding out in the fog waiting for you to make a noise.

One thing I wish Outer Wilds had was a clock somewhere, I know you can sort of use The interloper as a clock, but I'd prefer an actual one

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dackel posted:

If you have gamepass, Surge 2 is on that

Yeah I was gonna say Surge 2 is a gamepass/rental for sure. It's fun for a while but I got sick of it pretty quickly. Although to be honest the same thing happened to me with Fallen Order but almost everybody loves that game so ymmv.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

One thing I wish Outer Wilds had was a clock somewhere, I know you can sort of use The interloper as a clock, but I'd prefer an actual one

there's an hourglass :v:

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

explosivo posted:

Yeah I was gonna say Surge 2 is a gamepass/rental for sure. It's fun for a while but I got sick of it pretty quickly. Although to be honest the same thing happened to me with Fallen Order but almost everybody loves that game so ymmv.

I often end up liking games that other people think are mediocre, like Alpha Protocol, Gothic 2 (and 3 with the community patch), and even Underrail (the not-Fallout that was mostly ignored). (edit: I know goons loved AP, but come on, you're not *people* (just kidding))

But from chatting with a couple other friends, Fallen Order looks like the way to go. I can always check out Surge 2 on gamepass (along with like a hundred other things if i want to).

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I have been doing missions, but none of them so far have unlocked new classes, possibly because I'm so early in the game. One of them says essentially "better send a monster to catch a monster", and I don't have a monster yet. That's why I'm not sure if I'm too early or not.

You should have gotten a free Vangal at least from a mission in the first area called Time for a culling. The mission you mentioned which "needs" a monster is actually a repeatable one, so it doesn't matter. The second area has both mission to unlock wrangler/beastmaster and also gives you a free wrangler NPC as a recruit

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Just a reminder that the Humble Choice selection should be this coming Friday and the summer sale is extended beyond that so you might want to wait until after those games are revealed.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Outer Wilds has taught me I have a deep phobia of Giant fish creatures hiding out in the fog waiting for you to make a noise.

You can check your map at any time iirc and get more or less of an idea by seeing how bloated the Sun currently is

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I decided to finally redeem a game pass promo that was about to expire, and Metro Exodous has stolen my heart only for me to learn that it's being removed in a couple days. I just finished Winter as a hardcore ranger. Please tell me the game gets really lovely in later chapters so I don't have to buy it, or tell me if the DLC is worth it, I guess.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hello fellow Steam Goons, I have an important PSA. You are likely aware of the whole bullshit affair of the recent days and with our community finally ousting Lowtax -- it was hard to miss.

However, you are probably not currently aware that Lowtax made a Steam group for his Patreon and many of you (including me) joined it years ago and then forgot about it.

This one: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/sa-gg

Now that you are reminded, please consider leaving it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

beats for junkies posted:

I kinda bounced off of The Surge 1, but I've been absolutely loving 2 since picking it up just the other day. You get to create your own custom character this time, the systems are explained more clearly, and there are more weapon types. Also, it looks great. Highly recommended.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

treat posted:

I decided to finally redeem a game pass promo that was about to expire, and Metro Exodous has stolen my heart only for me to learn that it's being removed in a couple days. I just finished Winter as a hardcore ranger. Please tell me the game gets really lovely in later chapters so I don't have to buy it, or tell me if the DLC is worth it, I guess.

Rest of Exodus good two colonels is good but short and linear the other dlc is meh

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 29, 2020

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Itching for a loot action RPG and see that Grim Dawn is cheap but I've played many hours of Diablo 3 and quite a few of Path of Exile, what makes Grim Dawn stand out against those two?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Dackel posted:

You should have gotten a free Vangal at least from a mission in the first area called Time for a culling. The mission you mentioned which "needs" a monster is actually a repeatable one, so it doesn't matter. The second area has both mission to unlock wrangler/beastmaster and also gives you a free wrangler NPC as a recruit

Ah, now I see that one. I haven't done it yet, but now I suppose is as good a time as any.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

cage-free egghead posted:

Itching for a loot action RPG and see that Grim Dawn is cheap but I've played many hours of Diablo 3 and quite a few of Path of Exile, what makes Grim Dawn stand out against those two?

It has an ending?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I haven't played GD all that much, but from my experience with it, it's a *lot* more complex than D3, but much slower paced than PoE. So if you want something deep like PoE but with a bit more methodical combat/action, it can be a good choice.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

What I like about it, as a big time PoE player, is that it has a similar level of build customization and complexity but more casual without the design limitations that come with having to support a multiplayer economy. It is more campaign focused, with a less fleshed out endgame than either of the other games, but there is still plenty of content for what it is.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
ATOM RPG or Wasteland 2?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I just realized the four games I have been playing are just new versions of old games.

Doom + Sigil, the newest episode from surprisingly-not-yet-problematic John Romero
Overload, which is just Descent and is awesome
Ion Fury, which should have been Ion Maiden and I think it's so loving stupid that Iron Maiden's lawyers jumped on this and I think it's stupid that the Ion Fury publishers caved so quickly but whatever. It's an alright game. A little confusing about where I'm supposed to be going half the time. These grimy Build-engine walls all look so similar.
Black Mesa, which is a remake of Half Life and is pretty good. I love that it feels so much like Half Life. Bugs and problems and wonky physics and awkward animation, it's lovely.

Edit: Best part about Black Mesa:

You get tons of followers, not just one or two like in the original. And they're all incredibly bad shots. It's a game about seeing if you can as a team take down a single crab without half of them shooting the other half in the back of the head.

Edit 2: Oh, I got an achievement for this:

credburn fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 29, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I was thoroughly impressed by ICEY. Definitely keep an eye out for sales on this one.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

ATOM RPG or Wasteland 2?

ATOM RPG is as generic as the title of the game. Get Wasteland 2.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Stokes posted:

ATOM RPG is as generic as the title of the game. Get Wasteland 2.

Wasteland 2 was pretty good. The choices you make come together at the end in a really good way. Except for me... the choices I made resulted in a bunch of folks coming to back us up, but at the same time two of my party members turned on me, fully leveled and all. It was epic. I love this poo poo. But I also remember that (at least when I played it; this has likely been fixed) the value it gives you for success percentages is before other factors are considered. So you may have a 95% chance to open a locked thing, but if you're injured and blind and I don't know, I forget all that can happen in the game, the actual chance might be 15% and you'll be banging your loving head wondering how you can gently caress up so many easy attempts.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Shrecknet posted:

It has an ending?

That's a drawback in the genre.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I was too dumb for Outer Wilds. By the time I got over my fear of the scary parts, I couldn't figure out the final sequence without having to look up a guide and by that time I just watched a YouTube video and uninstalled the game.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

I was thoroughly impressed by ICEY. Definitely keep an eye out for sales on this one.

Haha haha :cawg:

Oh are you serious?

It's very very bad. Its like babbys first 'look I have identified the concept of media criticism' game. The Beginners Guide does everything ICEY does a thousand times better.

E:

quote:

ICEY is an uttely pedestrian side-scrolling beat-em-up. But you knew that going in, the game tells you as much.

What ICEY wants to be is a fusion of Bastion's narrator and something like Pony Island's metacommentary. Unfortunately, it just doesn't get there. The absolute tedium of replaying sections, annoying enemies that stunlock you but don't deal enough damage to be a threat (the fact that the game's most annoying enemies look like Navi does not go unnotied), and the commentary that comes up seldom enough, even if you hunt for it, to be really interesting.

Yes, game, you are commenting on the ludonarrative we are currently experiencing. But what do you have to SAY? (nothing. the answer is nothing. the game presents no opinions)

I got it during a Steam sale for about $8, and even then I can't justify recommending it. It's just not smart enough, even though it's clear it desperately wants to be.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Why and how did it impress you? I know very little about it.

Shrecknet posted:

Haha haha :cawg:

Oh are you serious?

It's very very bad. Its like babbys first 'look I have identified the concept of media criticism' game. The Beginners Guide does everything ICEY does a thousand times better.

Don't be a dick, come on! Why is this game bad? How is Beginner's Guide better? Use your words, please, otherwise you're just being rude for no reason.

e: ah, thanks for the explanation.