Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Supposedly Muzzle was planned to be the fifth single, but then Jimmy and Jonathan Melvoin overdosing happened and they wanted to go with a song that had less prominent drums.

It was given a promotional single release, so there's that. Which seems like evidence to support that it was going to be the fifth single.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Muzzle is a great song but I never got why it was quieter than the rest of the songs on the album.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Baron von Eevl posted:

Supposedly Muzzle was planned to be the fifth single, but then Jimmy and Jonathan Melvoin overdosing happened and they wanted to go with a song that had less prominent drums.

Yeah, I remember hearing Muzzle on the local commercial radio station here for about a week, super excited for what the video was going to be, but then Thirty Three (still a wonderful song) was made the single, and welp.

Trivia! Sarah Mclachlan's song "Angel" is about Melvoin's overdose and death.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/sarah-mclachlan/angel

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 12, 2020

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I remember hearing Muzzle on the local commercial radio station here for about a week, super excited for what the video was going to be, but then Thirty Three (still a wonderful song) was made the single, and welp.

Trivia! Sarah Mclachlan's song "Angel" is about Melvoin's overdose and death.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/sarah-mclachlan/angel

I find it funny how many people miss the meeting to "Angel." Everyone just hears that one line in the chorus, and then they dedicate this song to everyone they've ever known who has died. And it's like, do you even hear the other lyrics? "You keep building the lie that you make up for all that you lack?" "You're so tired of the straight life and everywhere you look, there's vultures and thieves at your back?"

But nope, sad song that mentions angels? Got to play it at every funeral.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
fuckin hell i love Muzzle, absolutely in my top 5 pumpkin songs

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
https://pitchfork.com/news/smashing-pumpkins-announce-spring-tour

Would want to go if I didn't already drop big cash on going to see MCR in September and still might see Poppy in August.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It looks like a theater tour too, shame they're only coming through here on the summer arena tour with loving Guns N Roses.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I upgraded my turntable cartridge and the notoriously lovely vinyl rerelease of MCIS actually sounds good now. I heard some people say it was fine and that you just needed a better needle. At the time I wrote it off but I guess they weren't lying/crazy.

Zero sounded loving atrocious before, just a distorted mess, now it sounds normal and I haven't even aligned the cartridge properly yet. It's a shame, because a lot of people returned their copies of MCIS, but it turns out you just need to spend $250+ USD on a better needle :smug:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5gqY65DYts

WPC chatting about Gish for an hour.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've been afraid to watch any of the videos he's been posting of him talking because honestly the man's got some loving awful beliefs and his shithead opinion on whatever's going on in the world right now is like the last thing I want to hear. Hearing Krist Novoselic praise Trump's speech about shooting protesters already has me bummed out enough.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I've been afraid to watch any of the videos he's been posting of him talking because honestly the man's got some loving awful beliefs and his shithead opinion on whatever's going on in the world right now is like the last thing I want to hear. Hearing Krist Novoselic praise Trump's speech about shooting protesters already has me bummed out enough.

Uhh, yeah, that was downright horrible.

I know people change, but I always figured a change for him would be going from 'let's trash our guitars and scream on stage, spitting with anger and apathy over the way things are' to 'let's enact real change with representatives who are not going to discriminate or incite hatred'.

Fuckin' sucks, man.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
God drat.

I don't know how I missed it when it comments came out, but now hearing Krist doing a "gotta hand it" to Trump for any reason outweighs any lovely thing I've heard Billy say.

:(

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

It feels like that whole "I'm not liberal or conservative" thing that some people try to do, and ignore that even if Trump had a good idea, the terrible things he did don't magically go away and he still needs to address those things.

How you support using the military on your own people is beyond me. At least Kurt was cool. Are the Foo Fighters still into AIDS denialism?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Apparently Kurt was a huge supporter of trans rights way back when, and it's assumed (with a fair bit of evidence) that he'd be an awesome ally today.

Hope that helps make things seem less lovely.

I think Jimmy Chamberlain is on the level as well, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Purportedly Krist is just a hardcore libertarian now and doesn't "like" Trump but was just "commenting" on the "quality" of the "delivery." Being really really rich for 28 years will really gently caress you up.

I think he also went on some thing about how liberals and lefties are hypocrites because if gun-toting militias came around and started burning poo poo they'd be asking the cops to help and like, yeah, we want cops to help people and not just shoot rubber bullets and people walking down a street you dingus.

Apparently Kurt was a huge supporter of trans rights way back when, and it's assumed (with a fair bit of evidence) that he'd be an awesome ally today.

Hope that helps make things seem less lovely.

I think Jimmy Chamberlain is on the level as well, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Yeah, sometimes I wonder with Kurt how he would have identified if he had been born 40 years later.

I'm not sure Jimmy's ever really made any political statements at all, but his instagram is profoundly wholesome. He doesn't seem to want to start poo poo with absolutely anyone and mostly just posts pictures of pretty snow and his cats and poo poo. I think the most controversial thing I've ever seen him say was commenting that Billy played bass on I Am One and D'arcy stans getting huffy about it.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 9, 2020

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
After doing a search on "when did krist novoselic become a libertarian" I found this article: https://reason.com/2014/06/19/krist-novoselics-alternative-politics/

I remember reading it and my reaction was mixed at the time, like he'd been watching too much South Park and got infected with their "the truth is in the middle"

And then the gun poo poo at the end of the interview. :rolleyes:

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Cemetry Gator posted:

Are the Foo Fighters still into AIDS denialism?
AFAIK that was really only one member (Nate Mendel). He's still in the band, but the band hasn't had any association with the group he was supporting for at least a decade.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I wasn't that surprised by the Krist thing when I saw some video a while back of him in his home. He lives in some secluded complex in the middle of nowhere and the decor etc. was nothing like you'd imagine the bass player from Nirvana to have. The beard and sorta combover combined with his professor attire and way he talked made it obvious he'd stepped over to the other side and was very comfortable there. Seemed like the kinda guy Kurt would hit with his guitar.

As for Billy I'm still just waiting for the Machina reissues I mean come on man 2020 sucks we need this :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

I wasn't that surprised by the Krist thing when I saw some video a while back of him in his home. He lives in some secluded complex in the middle of nowhere and the decor etc. was nothing like you'd imagine the bass player from Nirvana to have. The beard and sorta combover combined with his professor attire and way he talked made it obvious he'd stepped over to the other side and was very comfortable there. Seemed like the kinda guy Kurt would hit with his guitar.

As for Billy I'm still just waiting for the Machina reissues I mean come on man 2020 sucks we need this :negative:

That reissue will likely be released about 2 minutes after Billy just throws down not just against trans people, but the rest of the LGBTQ population.

I love the pumpkins but goddamn, Billy. All that poo poo, AND chemtrails, plus at least a modicum of respect for Alex Jones?

:barf:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

If anybody cares given the current mess regarding Lowtax and more domestic abuse:

Kaedric posted:

https://breadnroses.net/

Go to an offsite that was created in reaction to the lovely moderation and nazis on SA instead of one created because people weren't allowed to be nazi enough, for a change.

WampaLord posted:

Anyone who wants an invite, just go to https://breadnroses.net/ and register, I will approve, let me know the username you select if it is different.

Also be patient if it takes a little bit, there is a queue I am getting through as quickly as I can.

BreadnRoses already has a lot of people who've moved over, seems rad and actually has good QOL features SA doesn't have (dark mode is freakin' nice). If you want to register they're letting everyone in for free while GBS burns and the entire admin/mod team is in some kind of standoff with Lowtax for apparently beating a third woman so yeah.

Hopefully we can all discuss the eventual rerelease of Machina over there seeing as this place seems to be imploding. It's pretty cool and worth checking out.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Willy J Crogan

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Did Billy ever end up suing Monte over those leaked demos from a few years back?

I miss getting Smashing Pumpkin demos.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The podcast RIVALS did a pretty funny episode about the one-sided rivalry between Corgan and Stephen Malkmus from Pavement for a fairly innocuous line in a song written in like 1994. You would think that Corgan had gotten over it by now but every now and then it resurfaces and he rants all over again.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

DrVenkman posted:

You would think that Corgan had gotten over it by now

No, I literally would not think this about anything ever.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

DrVenkman posted:

The podcast RIVALS did a pretty funny episode about the one-sided rivalry between Corgan and Stephen Malkmus from Pavement for a fairly innocuous line in a song written in like 1994. You would think that Corgan had gotten over it by now but every now and then it resurfaces and he rants all over again.

It hurts him deeply. It hurts him deeply in his heart. *points to Superman S on his shirt*

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ballz posted:

It hurts him deeply. It hurts him deeply in his heart. *points to Superman S on his shirt*

Hahahahaa, I love this. I remember reading this like it was yesterday.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's still probably my favorite early SP Billy story.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hey, look! A bullshit list of "rare songs you've probably never heard".

I'm assuming this is for the most casual of listeners, in which case, have those people even heard non-singles?

Like, "A Night Like This", "Speed Kills", and "Isolation" are on here.

No Alabaster? Smile?

Their cover of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is rarer than some of these.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm glad this highlights the Matt Walker reimagining/remix of cash car star because it's a helpful reminder that his version of the song is loving awful.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Hey, look! A bullshit list of "rare songs you've probably never heard".

I'm assuming this is for the most casual of listeners, in which case, have those people even heard non-singles?

Like, "A Night Like This", "Speed Kills", and "Isolation" are on here.

No Alabaster? Smile?

Their cover of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is rarer than some of these.

Autumn Nocturne or get out

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CherryCola posted:

Autumn Nocturne or get out

See? That's what I'm talking about. I don't even know what that song is, and I consider myself fairly well-acquainted with the Pumpkins catalogue.

Gonna look that one up, thanks!

Edit: oh wow, I've heard this. I guess I didn't pay much attention to the names of the newer old stuff released a few (8?! :psyduck:) years ago.

Phang will always be my jam.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 15, 2020

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

See? That's what I'm talking about. I don't even know what that song is, and I consider myself fairly well-acquainted with the Pumpkins catalogue.

Gonna look that one up, thanks!

Edit: oh wow, I've heard this. I guess I didn't pay much attention to the names of the newer old stuff released a few (8?! :psyduck:) years ago.

Phang will always be my jam.

I was one of those Smashing Pumpkins mega fans from middle school until college and went real hard on tracking down every single demo and b-side available in the darkest corners of the internet. I think I still have a few demos from Billy's pre-SP band The Marked. I still can't bring myself to acknowledge anything that happened after Machina (though I like Zwan, fight me)

Pre-SA, I was actually super active on the Smashing Pumpkins official boards where we spent an inordinate amount of time trying to decipher the meaning behind Machina and the artwork in the insert. It was a lot. (CherryCola is a Smashing Pumpkins reference, also)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CherryCola posted:

I was one of those Smashing Pumpkins mega fans from middle school until college and went real hard on tracking down every single demo and b-side available in the darkest corners of the internet. I think I still have a few demos from Billy's pre-SP band The Marked. I still can't bring myself to acknowledge anything that happened after Machina (though I like Zwan, fight me)

Pre-SA, I was actually super active on the Smashing Pumpkins official boards where we spent an inordinate amount of time trying to decipher the meaning behind Machina and the artwork in the insert. It was a lot. (CherryCola is a Smashing Pumpkins reference, also)

What's the reference? I can only think of that Savage Garden song :negative:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

What's the reference? I can only think of that Savage Garden song :negative:

"One more cherry cola to lift up her dead arms ..."

It's from "Glass and the Ghost Children"

Man, it's been forever since I have listened to that album.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

hatelull posted:

"One more cherry cola to lift up her dead arms ..."

It's from "Glass and the Ghost Children"

Man, it's been forever since I have listened to that album.

ding ding ding! I was OneMoreCherryCola on the SP official boards and then that got cut down when I came here.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Throwback to that time Billy Corgan was on periscope

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I use to love trying to track down the SP single CDs because they always had "rare" songs on them, I was so psyched to find the Ava Adore single. Czarina and Once in a Awhile are still two of my favorites. Then once I had fast internet in college and found that huge database website with all of their songs listed my mind was blown. I ended up buying a Mashed Potatoes set off ebay, I'm pretty sure they were just burnt CDs but it was cool regardless.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I use to love trying to track down the SP single CDs because they always had "rare" songs on them, I was so psyched to find the Ava Adore single. Czarina and Once in a Awhile are still two of my favorites. Then once I had fast internet in college and found that huge database website with all of their songs listed my mind was blown. I ended up buying a Mashed Potatoes set off ebay, I'm pretty sure they were just burnt CDs but it was cool regardless.

I had that same single, which was the only one I owned, outside of TAFH; I really did love the rarity of it all.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

The sheer volume of their output at their peak always amazed me. I mean there was the double-disc MCIS album, plus a whole other album's worth of b-sides in the boxed set, plus another 20-something outtakes excerpted in the "Pastichio Medley," and that's not even counting the additional tracks on the reissue. I'm sure Billy is like Prince and has hundreds of unreleased songs in his "vault" from every Pumpkins album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Borrowed Ladder posted:

The b-sides ("Pissant" and "Hello Kitty-Kat" specifically) to "Cherub Rock" and "Today" respectively became instant "i'm a die hard fan" deep cut favorites when I first heard them. gently caress, those are great tunes.