Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Side question: Is pewter the preferred material for liquor flasks? I've heard stainless does poo poo to the contents after awhile.

e: Cocktail to avoid snipe:

1 Blended Scotch
1 Irish Whiskey
0.75 lemon juice
0.5 Orgeat

Shake and strain into a coupe

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Got a bunch (three) amaros recently. So far the best thing I've done was:

.5 oz lemon juice
4oz ginger ale
2 oz amaro nonino

Layered in that order in a Collins glass.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Carillon posted:

Got a bunch (three) amaros recently. So far the best thing I've done was:

.5 oz lemon juice
4oz ginger ale
2 oz amaro nonino

Layered in that order in a Collins glass.

I got some Nonino a little while back and this is the best one I found in my death & Co book using it so far

Legend
1 ounce Pierre Ferrand 1840 Cognac
.5 ounce Appleton Estate V/X Rum
.75 ounce Lustau Amontillado Sherry
.5 ounce Amaro Nonino
.25 ounce Rich Demerara Syrup
1 dash Bitter Truth Aromatic Bitters
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone have experience with Creole shrubb? I love spiced orange flavor so I’m intrigued by this, but if I were to buy it it would have to be in the place of buying Cointreau.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I find that for the most part Creole Shrubb is pretty interchangeable with grand marnier/cointreau in cocktail recipes. It has a little more of a spice element but it's not a departure from the category.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Yeah same here it's not nearly as off the wall as the name might suggest, it a pretty low risk buy.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I tried my darndest to like the vile, bitter campari but eventually gave up. Then, to celebrate a promotion I got drunker than I've ever been in my life on basil hayden and got violently ill. Now I can't taste whiskey without gagging but negroni's are delicious. The world moves in mysterious ways

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
If we're talking Nonino make a Paper Plane

equal parts bourbon, aperol, nonino, lemon juice

I'm sure Campari would be fine if you don't have aperol, but we just got a bottle of it, and I have a bottle of nonino I'm trying to kill so we've been going hard on these.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

The Chad Jihad posted:

I tried my darndest to like the vile, bitter campari but eventually gave up. Then, to celebrate a promotion I got drunker than I've ever been in my life on basil hayden and got violently ill. Now I can't taste whiskey without gagging but negroni's are delicious. The world moves in mysterious ways

Another drink good at getting you to like Campari is a Bitter Mai Tai, it's so good it's almost unreal.

1 ½ oz. Campari
¾ oz. Jamaican rum
½ oz. orange Curaçao
1 oz. fresh lime juice
¾ oz. orgeat

Serve on some crushed ice if you have the energy

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Klauser posted:

If we're talking Nonino make a Paper Plane

equal parts bourbon, aperol, nonino, lemon juice

I'm sure Campari would be fine if you don't have aperol, but we just got a bottle of it, and I have a bottle of nonino I'm trying to kill so we've been going hard on these.

Paper planes are delicious. One of my go to nightly cocktails

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I know the name of plantation rum has come up before in this thread, so good to note that they're going to be changing it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone use those canvas bags for smashing ice or is everyone just using a towel, or maybe something else? I've been using a freezer bag with a towel around it but I still manage to tear the bags. I could use the blender but I'm lazy and don't want to get it out and put it away.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I couldn't think of anything to ask for my birthday this year so I asked for one of those bags. Makes you feel super fancy and they work really well! Cathartic too.

Looks like the brand I got isn't available on Amazon, but I remember the most important part checking if it was triple-stitched so it would hold up.

For super fine shavings, I still just run my blender at highest speed and drop in ice cubes one at a time. Works a charm. The Lewis bag is for crushed ice style cocktails.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
My fridge has a crushed ice dispenser :shrug:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

My fridge has a crushed ice dispenser :shrug:

You can probably get it fixed under warranty if it wasn't negligence

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

wormil posted:

Anyone use those canvas bags for smashing ice or is everyone just using a towel, or maybe something else? I've been using a freezer bag with a towel around it but I still manage to tear the bags. I could use the blender but I'm lazy and don't want to get it out and put it away.

I've had a lewis bag for years and I'd say it's worth it. I don't use it a ton, but it doesn't take up much space. On those occasions for when you want that consistency of ice it really is the best tool for the job, the ice doesn't stick to it like a towel and you can beat the hell out of it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sounds like a Lewis bag is in my future, thanks folks.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Me too. My partner loves crushed ice in her drinks, and we’re big tiki fans around here so I’m long overdue. I’ve put if off because I’m averse to what I assume is the loud noise (I live in an apartment,) so I tried to use one of those ice molds that makes tiny little cubes, but it’s a huge mess and a headache to pop all those little cubes out.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Lewis bags work great, and I've found that a thick, solid rolling pin makes a great hammer for them.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
I've had my muddler for so long I don't think you can get it anymore, but it rules, and doubles as my ice smasher. This looks very similar:

https://www.kegworks.com/wooden-kegworks-cocktail-bar-muddler

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I got a vintage all-metal ice crusher from etsy, the kind with the crank. It has a coarse and fine setting. It doesn't give you the really fine stuff that lets you pack the glass tight that the hammer gives you, but I have downstairs neighbors and it works pretty good.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Carillon posted:

I know the name of plantation rum has come up before in this thread, so good to note that they're going to be changing it.

quote:

“As the dialogue on racial equality continues globally, we understand the hurtful connotation the word plantation can evoke to some people, especially in its association with much graver images and dark realities of the past,” said Plantation owner and Master Blender Alexandre Gabriel in a statement.

Phrasing.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have any good last word variations that use grapefruit? I find myself with a surplus and my partner loves last words so would be cool to combine the two.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why not just sub it for the lime? Seems like a good bet.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Data Graham posted:

Why not just sub it for the lime? Seems like a good bet.

Well it's a good question, but it's simple enough if you switch up one why not think about what else might be more complementary you know?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Picked up a bottle of Citadelle Gin and.. I don't really like it. To me it tastes cheap and doesn't make very good martinis and just passable gin and tonics or rickeys. Is it just me? Anyone a fan? The bottle is pretty.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Got gifted a bottle of elderflower liqueur a while back. What should I make with it?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Thoht posted:

Got gifted a bottle of elderflower liqueur a while back. What should I make with it?

I made a spritz style drink today with:

2oz Gin
3/4 oz St Germain
3/4 oz Lemon juice
Bar spoon pine syrup
with an absinthe spray topped off with sparkling water.

It was good, a bit sweet and probably could have used a more juniper forward gin and less St Germain.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

I have a friend that makes mules with elderflower liqueur, and they’re very tasty.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Those both sound tasty. @mentalcontempt do you know if they were just using the liqueur for the booze or if there was some other base liquor too?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Thoht posted:

Here for my ~yearly recommendation to make Apparent Sours

1.5oz Aperol (Campari is probably fine)
.75oz elderflower liqueur
.75oz lime juice
Rosemary sprig if you have it (and put one in the shaker too)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
It's hot out, what's your favorite margarita recipe? I'm a 2:1:1 guy, with good tequila and cheap triple sec.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Toebone posted:

It's hot out, what's your favorite margarita recipe? I'm a 2:1:1 guy, with good tequila and cheap triple sec.

I like 3:2:1 with Cointreau.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Tommy's

1.5 tequila
0.5 lime
2 tsp agave

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I like a really orangey Margarita, maybe to a fault. I’ve never gotten any complaints though, and I feel like if you’re gonna bother making a daisy with orange liqueur, you may as well be able to taste the orange. I prefer Luxardo Triplum or Lazzaroni Triplo.

2oz 100% agave spirit
3/4oz lime
3/4oz triple sec
1/4oz 1:1 simple
Dash of orange bitters

Shake and strain onto a big rock and garnish with a long fresh zest of orange.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Orangecello is also very easy to make. I use a 30% abv orangecello instead of Cointreau.

I also like a margarita with reposado tequila and Tuaca

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Toebone posted:

2oz teq
.75 lime
.5 simple

Not a margarita. Made it in Florida when I was vacationing with loved ones and it was hot and they wanted margaritas and we didn't have triple sec and have never looked back.

I call them Florida style.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I believe that's a called a "Sour" but im not sure, I'll have to consult my ancient books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
3:2:1 prefer Cointreau but have been using Grand Marnier