Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can't believe SomethingAwful died before Silksong came out.

Wait, yes I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I wouldn't have discovered Hollow Knight if not for SA :getgud:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

People have been accusing the forums of dying for years but I thought this was "everyone dies sometime" and not "you have a cancerous tumor that abuses women"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Thankfully we may be operating

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

They did surgery on a grape

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can't believe SomethingAwful might be surviving until Silksong comes out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Git gud at forums upkeep

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

RCarr posted:

Did the grape survive?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

RCarr posted:

1,000 degree poster anger vs. lowtax

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wanna start doing some bindings on the lower tier pantheons so I can unlock some lifeblood, anybody with experience have any tips for each binding?

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

When I did the bindings on pantheons 1-3, I found that once I was able to do the pantheon with the charm binding active, the other 3 bindings could be fairly well mitigated by adjusting charm layouts or strategies.

Soul binding: I largely played melee, so I didn't really feel the heat on this charm. You can stack health charms if you find that the lack of soul means you can't heal in bulk during breaks in some fights. You can also stack damage charms to just speed through the fights and not need to heal at all.
Health binding: Similar guidance, maybe stack health charms if 4 masks makes you nervous.
Nail binding: Strength charm brings you about back to where your nail is damage-wise when charmless, plus all the extras that charms can net you. Also an opportunity to go more magic based. (though I didn't. :pseudo:)

I didn't even attempt pantheon 4 or 5 with bindings because I could no longer be bothered. I _think_ doing all of the bindings on the first 3 nets you enough lifeblood seeds for 3-4 masks at the benches.

More generally: practice the tough fights in the hall of gods. Not taking damage is more important in these guantlets. Once you have patterns down, then you can add in being efficient at dealing damage.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ascended Absolute Radiance down!

Now for Radiant Absolute Radiance (:psyduck:)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MJeff posted:

Wanna start doing some bindings on the lower tier pantheons so I can unlock some lifeblood, anybody with experience have any tips for each binding?

Like brain dammej said use the hall of gods to practice and learn patterns/get better at dodging. If you can beat all of the bosses in a pantheon on Radiant difficulty then you can definitely beat that pantheon with any one binding.

The new bosses are roadblocks in the sense that you don't get to see them in the normal game, so their patterns are completely unknown. Practice with them and you'll figure out how they move and how to avoid getting hit. Even Sly moves quickly but has a lot of tells and becomes extremely easy to predict and counter.

For the lower pantheons my charms were always Quick Slash, Mark of Pride, Fragile Strength, and Fragile Heart. For the pantheon of hallownest I've begun playing with a spellcasting build to be able to burst down Absolute Radiance when the moment comes

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pantheon of Hallownest cleared

A year ago I'm certain I was posting in here to talk about what BS it is that 2 endings are locked behind such a huge difficulty wall but it honestly wasn't so bad, I was just burnt out by the end of my first playthrough. Now I think that Godhome may be aimed at people coming back to the game after being away for awhile, as that's what it took for me to start getting into it and enjoying it.

The biggest obstacles were just learning the patterns of the last 2 bosses.

I finished Radiant difficulty on every boss except Absolute Radiance, and bindings on all of the pantheons except Hallownest. I don't think I'm going to stick around to do any of the Hallownest bindings or finish Absolute Radiance on Radiant difficulty; I believe that I could do these things if I cared to sink more time into them, but I'm feeling burnt out again. Really glad that I came back to this game to go after the speed run and steel soul achievements, I never saw any of the Godhome bosses on my first playthrough and those alone were worth coming back for. This should tide me over until Silksong comes out in 2023

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

A year ago I'm certain I was posting in here to talk about what BS it is that 2 endings are locked behind such a huge difficulty wall but it honestly wasn't so bad, I was just burnt out by the end of my first playthrough. Now I think that Godhome may be aimed at people coming back to the game after being away for awhile, as that's what it took for me to start getting into it and enjoying it.

I finished Radiant difficulty on every boss except Absolute Radiance, and bindings on all of the pantheons except Hallownest. I don't think I'm going to stick around to do any of the Hallownest bindings or finish Absolute Radiance on Radiant difficulty; I believe that I could do these things if I cared to sink more time into them, but I'm feeling burnt out again. Really glad that I came back to this game to go after the speed run and steel soul achievements, I never saw any of the Godhome bosses on my first playthrough and those alone were worth coming back for. This should tide me over until Silksong comes out in 2023

:cheers:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!

QuarkJets posted:

I look forward to your post about completing them in 2022!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Just in time for Silksong’s release.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Why exactly am I making myself do Path of Pain a second time? :suicide:

I'm on the last room before the fight. I cannot get the timing on the last buzzsaw right. I did this already! I know it doesn't actually *DO* anything! Why is my brain broke?!

Edit: Finished it like an hour ago with one mask left. Guards almost killed me. I would’ve just stopped playing all together if I had died there.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 4, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does anyone here have experience with the HK randomizer, and either advice or links to advice? Gonna try my first seed tonight. I'm a veteran of ocarina of time rando so I assume a lot of the ways of thinking carry over (don't stress about full-clearing areas if it's convenient to come back, focus on progression when possible, be aware when a new item opens up check-dense locations) but I'm just so much less familiar with this game that I don't know how to fill in the blanks--like I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what items you need for each dreamer.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I am very familiar with the randomizer. I'm in the randomizer tournament even. Sitting at a cool 1:2 record.

The general guide to the randomizer is here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTXjwmjpzMcm4GuZNeiSiX8rp2neYwHeX1IwNn0mi7xnvCxBzEJlnlLnkp_HvVf4u4S6vhAJQTVH8xE/pub

When I started playing, my goal was simply any percent. Now I usually go for true ending and/or add a bingo board. The hardest part of your first few runs is figuring out what's actually in logic depending on what items you have as well as knowing all the obscure locations in the game (the relic next to greenpath stag, and the super secret seal in deepnest come to mind). There are some obscure ways to get to certain places: like ismas, city crest, a simple key, and cdash can get you all the way to the ancient basin simple key check without any vertical movement.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not sure how I feel about the dreamers and mask pieces being randomized in the default settings. Maybe seeds would be too short without it but I kind of liked the structure provided in zelda randomizers by having mcguffins always be dropped by dungeons, so you have mini-goals and locations that are more valuable by virtue of being required to complete the game, rather than just because they have more items

I've been using the map provided by elderbug in the mod for now since I'm not familiar enough with the game to remember all the locations otherwise. Will probably change after a few seeds if I stick with it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
is radiance in logic without the shade cloak because I have access to it but don't even have the mothwing cloak yet

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

True ending (radiance) doesn't drop an item so it's not a part of the logic. The logic makes sure that every item is obtainable though.

Also, I think the reason for the big difference in dreamer location vs triforce location is in hollow knight there aren't really dungeons per se - just zones. It's more like metroid in that way. In alttp there are a lot more progression items than there are in hollow knight so it makes sense to by default keep the boss rewards the same or at least self contained. In HK only 3 bosses actually "drop" progression towards true ending (uumuu, watcher knights, traitor lord) so it makes less sense.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

is radiance in logic without the shade cloak because I have access to it but don't even have the mothwing cloak yet

In the normal game you need the void heart to fight radiance, and you need the shade cloak to get the void heart, so it depends on whether the void heart is treated like a normal charm. The way you get it is pretty unlike other charms and very location-specific so it might be in the normal place

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

void heart pieces are randomized

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

As long as you have the two halves that make up the Kingsoul charm you shooooould be able to just go and get the Void Soul charm in the Abyss? In the normal game you need shade cloak to get one of the pieces but when I was playing my seed I just acquired one half of the charm randomly somewhere so I think it isn't strictly required. Unless that's just another item and the Kingsoul halves + Void Soul are all just progressive items randomly thrown about.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think all the things--the two mask halves and void soul upgrade--are progressive

And now I'm thoroughly concluding that while Radiance is probably beatable without i frames or even a dash, I am not the one to pull it off

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Hey, I also started playing with the randomizer for the first time tonight.

It didn't go too terribly, though it's become apparent that I remember virtually no item locations :v:

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

The hollow knight discord has a randomizer channel where you can probably get answers a lot faster than here. I'm there a lot. And yes, dream nails, dashes, and void heart are progressive in the randomizer.

IDK many people beat radiance without either dive or shade cloak. It's doable but you want at least one of them. I pretty much never try without shade cloak unless there is urgency.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I'm pretty sure I'm now on attempt #75 or so of NKG. I can dodge or counter all his moves relatively reliably and I think I've almost beat him a few times but still, he always wins in the end. Here's hoping I don't reach triple digits...

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

bowser posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm now on attempt #75 or so of NKG. I can dodge or counter all his moves relatively reliably and I think I've almost beat him a few times but still, he always wins in the end. Here's hoping I don't reach triple digits...

He’s great. Eventually once you’re good enough at dodging him, you should prioritize damage. Unbreakable Strength, Sharp Shadow, Grubsong and Shaman Stone is what I rolled when I beat him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Sharp Shadow is so good, but so risky against him. If you dash at the wrong time, he'll skitter backwards and you'll just smack against him. But it's an invaluable source of damage when he does the dash uppercut.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You can get more damage during the dash uppercut by dashing away from him, you get time to land a couple swings and will be positioned in a safe spot from the fireball rain.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

You can get more damage during the dash uppercut by dashing away from him, you get time to land a couple swings and will be positioned in a safe spot from the fireball rain.

I always just jumped over him and slashed down at him during that move.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Against NKG, I found that if you stand in the weird tube things on either end of the arena, he won't skitter back. Makes it much easier to tell what he's up to--if he teleports near you, it's the claw. If he's far, it's the bats

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my hands hate me for beating soul tyrant a second time

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

use a dance pad

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I want to say not bad for my first randomizer but I'm sure there are one million improvements that could be made. I got somewhat unlucky that White Palace ended up being a Dreamer though. It had also been a hot minute since I had fought Radiance, since she doesn't exist by herself in Godhome I was super duper out of practice there. Still felt good to do it with only half of the upgrades I had picked up in the main game all completionist-y!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/lubellide00/status/1059590839402446848?s=21

I love the fan art for this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Love bug Isabelle