Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

spouse posted:

This is the part that won't work. You have 203k registered users. 1000~ people are reading this thread, maybe 100 people are consistently posting in it. 90% of SA reg'd users wouldn't move over, and with less content, you'd probably be down below 5000 users, and maybe, maybe 500 active users by the end of the first year.

At that point, might as well run a discord or subreddit instead, and that's why independent forums are dying.

Keep SA, boot lowtax is the best option to continue having this community of Goons, as grimy as giving that gently caress money might be.

Very well put. Honestly the fact that this place still exists at the capacity it does is amazing.

Oh, new page. gently caress lowtax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Barudak posted:

Ah yes, the ultimate dead beat dad move; crashing at your kid's trailer

yikesuhmunga

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

yikeszinga

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Surely this offsite will capture the hearts and minds of disaffected goons.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

So Lowtaxs defense of being an abuser is that Logan is an alcoholic? What a gross piece of poo poo.

Kill yourself Richard

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Frank Frank posted:

That's a weird one - and you're right. If I had to guess why 4chan works/worked but doesn't work now, it's because they were also a web 1.0 creation and developed their own "culture" (using that term loosely here). These days there are just too many options to choose from. You want a forum devoted to whatever your weird hobby is, there are probably multiple choices. These "one size fits all" community forums addressing multiple interests just don't do well anymore as a rule. SA is a dinosaur that exists purely because its original userbase is still here - partially out of nostalgia but also due to a real sense of community. You simply aren't going to find that elsewhere.

I saw several people mention in their recent autobans that SA is hypocritical because "racist/misogynistic/edgy" humor has been disallowed where it was previously. I think those folks are missing the point that most of us are in our 30s and 40s now and have grown up. That poo poo just doesn't appeal to us anymore. It's evidence that SA has (and can continue) to grow and change.

"Prestigious" Internet Culture message boards died because everyone just goes on Reddit.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

I will be honest, I don't think there is a 3rd party that would want this site.

The well is completely poisoned.

Who would buy an account or advertise here now? Right now we're just sticking around to see what happens.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Muscle Wizard posted:

furries are allowed on sa now weve discussed this

http://imgur.com/a/mZQyt95

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

kdrudy posted:

I imagine a good chunk of any money he gets is going to people who actually should get it once word gets out. Just have to make sure everyone he owes money knows he got paid.

a public sale of a big item like a business with a paper trail is a good way to do it. from a divorce/family court perspective, it’s possibly a better outcome than if he slinks off to obscurity and eventually claims bankruptcy or w/e because his site makes no money (whether that’s true or he claims it is)

LaughingWallaby
Mar 29, 2020

LastGoodBoy posted:

Exactly. There's not going to be any "we just recreate this elsewhere". If making a successful website was that simple, everyone would do it.

I'm probably not explaining this well; I don't think BnR is necessarily a good offsite for SA either.

What I'm trying to say that the amount Lowtax gets to negotiate for is dependent on how likely the people in this thread (and by extension, the people in these forums) are to leave.

If people in the forum are willing to leave and re-form the forums elsewhere, then Lowtax is likely negotiating from a far poorer position. The abuser gets less money, which is what we all want, right?

On the other hand, if people on these forums are so attached that they cannot provide a credible threat of forming an alternative website, then lowtax basically just gets to name a price to Jeffrey.

What I'm saying is: even if you don't think the people here can re-form elsewhere properly, you should be threatening re-forming the forums elsewhere very loudly, just to make lowtax less confident of getting a high price for this place.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

spouse posted:

This is the part that won't work. You have 203k registered users. 1000~ people are reading this thread, maybe 100 people are consistently posting in it. 90% of SA reg'd users wouldn't move over, and with less content, you'd probably be down below 5000 users, and maybe, maybe 500 active users by the end of the first year.

At that point, might as well run a discord or subreddit instead, and that's why independent forums are dying.

Keep SA, boot lowtax is the best option to continue having this community of Goons, as grimy as giving that gently caress money might be.

Agree tho i think if Jeffrey makes a site he'd get 25%

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Hiroyikeshima

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Vargs posted:

the idea that this is a result of some hysterical cancel culture frenzy is so loving absurd. I'm not generally an "instant torches and pitchforks" kinda guy, but this is the 4th loving time rich, and those police reports did not paint a good picture. you have got to be kidding me

Not that Rich would ever read or listen, but it's this.

Rich: You are not being "canceled." We are all far too old for that Zoomer poo poo. You are not being given a bad shake. You are not unlucky. You are not in any way, shape, or form a victim. You've been stringing along idiots for 20 years and they've finally been presented with enough evidence to be fed the gently caress up and not want to deal with you anymore. Cry me a loving river and get lost.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

man or woman up and make him perma you if the deal falls through and he holds onto the forums

that's my plan

Toxxing is for suckers. If you want to punish them you have to civil disobedience them into taking action.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
lmao i remember when lowtax banned me for saying we shouldn't destroy people's lives based on accusations and instead wait for evidence.

quote:

Lowtax posted:
This might sound weird too, but often when people are being psychologically and emotionally abused, they aren't in a rational state of mind where they would think, "gee, I should secretly keep a recorded on me at all times so I can document this! And I'm sure if my partner discovers I'm secretly recording them, they'll be perfectly fine with it and the abuse won't get worse!"

quote:

Yeah maybe that's why we have courts and stuff to decide things based on multiple testimonies, character profiles, and other legal stuff. But I don't know Lowtax you're the one who runs this place!!

and then i was banned and lol.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

LastGoodBoy posted:

Very well put. Honestly the fact that this place still exists at the capacity it does is amazing.

Oh, new page. gently caress lowtax.

That's my point as well. You've got existing community/infrastructure/etc. already in place. You can restructure it and fix what's broken (including transparency) as lovely as giving Lowtax money would be for some people.

"Just set up some weird forum that's run by people who will autoban anyone to the right politically of Mao" is a recipe for disaster.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

LaughingWallaby posted:

I'm probably not explaining this well; I don't think BnR is necessarily a good offsite for SA either.

What I'm trying to say that the amount Lowtax gets to negotiate for is dependent on how likely the people in this thread (and by extension, the people in these forums) are to leave.

If people in the forum are willing to leave and re-form the forums elsewhere, then Lowtax is likely negotiating from a far poorer position. The abuser gets less money, which is what we all want, right?

On the other hand, if people on these forums are so attached that they cannot provide a credible threat of forming an alternative website, then lowtax basically just gets to name a price to Jeffrey.

What I'm saying is: even if you don't think the people here can re-form elsewhere properly, you should be threatening re-forming the forums elsewhere very loudly, just to make lowtax less confident of getting a high price for this place.

I don't care what money lowtax gets. What I want is for him to be bought out so he can loving leave and we can be done with him and the site can rebuild under new, good leadership. What I want is to save this site, not make some other one.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Hatebag posted:

Lowtax is human garbage and anyone who gives him money is bankrolling his abuse of his next victim.
I'd argue that Lowtax won't even know where or how to find a next victim without being able to use his ownership of Something Awful as some kind of pick-up line. I mean, that sounds like a crazy thing to think would even work in the first place, but again, it's apparently worked for him multiple times.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

punk rebel ecks posted:

"Prestigious" Internet Culture message boards died because everyone just goes on Reddit.

Reddit or Digg before that - SA still maintained its culture and had a smaller (but loyal) userbase. People would come and go but most of us that grew up here would usually wander back after a while.
Reddit is (literally) nazi-infested trash and after the 2016 election, it became unbearable. The reason SA works for me where reddit doesn't is pretty simple - the $10 reg fee. People won't (ok MOST people won't) make endless rereg accounts to troll/say vile poo poo if it costs them money every time they do it. If reddit instituted an account registration fee, the site would vanish almost overnight.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I just read the transcript and my number 1 reaction is:

So Logan's just a "friend" who moved in with him to help him with his back... and that's why Lowtax has nudes of her and there's the pic of him smelling her foot.

:what:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

a public sale of a big item like a business with a paper trail is a good way to do it. from a divorce/family court perspective, it’s possibly a better outcome than if he slinks off to obscurity and eventually claims bankruptcy or w/e because his site makes no money (whether that’s true or he claims it is)

Yeah, it's income with a definite paper trail. I'm sure the delinquent tax seeking IRS and any divorce court he finds himself in will find that very interesting. Also child support.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Roth posted:

Can't wait for Comcast to buy the forum

please drink verification can

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bradzilla posted:

So Lowtaxs defense of being an abuser is that Logan is an alcoholic? What a gross piece of poo poo.

Kill yourself Richard

Everyone he has ever known

Is an alcoholic
Is bipolar
Is into sex stuff where they pretend to be children
Betrayed him for no reason
Has unjustly turned everyone against him by lying

I wonder if he gets along with his parents.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

LLJKSiLk posted:

It's not black and white really. There are several thousand people here in a fairly loose-knit community. That community will not survive in all but near certainty if people attempt to migrate off-site because you've got a dozen tinpot "dictators" who all have their own version of what they think SA should be.

From a business perspective, if SomethingAwful, LLC has value - then you can pick it up at a bargain price precisely because Lowtax is "human garbage" and then you build it up with the existing community/infrastructure.

Or if it's worth just killing off - just kill it off. I think it depends on how many people would be on board with the terms of the deal.

I'm not saying make him rich. I'm saying make a fair deal to take over management/responsibility for debts/assets of the LLC, and then sever.

Yeah just kill it who the gently caress cares it's not a fuckin unicorn

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

LLJKSiLk posted:

That's my point as well. You've got existing community/infrastructure/etc. already in place. You can restructure it and fix what's broken (including transparency) as lovely as giving Lowtax money would be for some people.

"Just set up some weird forum that's run by people who will autoban anyone to the right politically of Mao" is a recipe for disaster.

Exactly, and this is the problem I had when I checked out B&R. The entire front page was a laundry list of "don't talk about this, don't post that" which is fine when it's poo poo like racist crap and whatnot, but the vibe I got was that they were going to be heavy handed in the powermodding crap.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

everyone keep asking if they can gently caress the bird, buddy they wont even let me gently caress it

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

LastGoodBoy posted:

I don't care what money lowtax gets. What I want is for him to be bought out so he can loving leave and we can be done with him and the site can rebuild under new, good leadership. What I want is to save this site, not make some other one.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

LastGoodBoy posted:

As someone who has listened to several years of him, yes. Sean is the complete opposite of Dick and is super level headed.

This is you supporting one of the show hosts. Don’t play stupid.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is an alcoholic
Is bipolar

I keep seeing it said that his mom is supporting him financially throughout some of this.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is an alcoholic
Is bipolar

Does he have any siblings? If not - I'm sure he's mommy's little angel still.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Flowers for QAnon posted:

This is you supporting one of the show hosts. Don’t play stupid.

Yeah, Sean is good. Are you done?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Frank Frank posted:

Does he have any siblings?

There's Howtax and Dowtax.

LaughingWallaby
Mar 29, 2020

LastGoodBoy posted:

I actually do care how much money lowtax gets.

It could mean the difference between him getting to continue abusing women for the rest of his life or him just burning out by himself after paying off his debts.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

LastGoodBoy posted:

Exactly, and this is the problem I had when I checked out B&R. The entire front page was a laundry list of "don't talk about this, don't post that" which is fine when it's poo poo like racist crap and whatnot, but the vibe I got was that they were going to be heavy handed in the powermodding crap.

If Jeffrey says "we'll run it with exactly the same posting philosophy as SA (minus the corrupt loving moderators)" then this is a moot point.

Why not attempt it first? If it fails then two months from now Lowtax is only in a weaker position and will need the cash more badly. Who else even wants it?

If JoY gets 25% of the userbase (and based on the jumped-off-a-cliff Patreon subscriptions, most goons are not going to continue to support Lowtax), isn't that enough?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

LaughingWallaby posted:

I actually do care how much money lowtax gets.

It could mean the difference between him getting to continue abusing women for the rest of his life or him just burning out by himself after paying off his debts.

Because... only people with money abuse women?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

LastGoodBoy posted:

I mean given what he said on the podcast he co-host with a loving chud, I'm gonna go with shut the gently caress up lmao

Necrofiliate
Apr 3, 2011

C:\>YOURPOST.EXE
ERROR: 0x0BAD
Abort, Retry, Fail?:ovr:

Google Butt posted:

Let the forums die and give lowtax nothing

In no circumstance is he going to get nothing, if everyone pissed about this leaves, it will continue to limp along for probably a decade+ with chuds and clueless people paying in, as well as ads from decades of content + google rank.

There is no circumstance where Lowtax does not get paid, either SA can get destroyed, or not, that is the actual choice.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

I keep seeing it said that his mom is supporting him financially throughout some of this.

His mom called the police to defend him, so yeah

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

LastGoodBoy posted:

This guy?

He starts talking about the assault allegations from his first wife. Podcast host with long hair says "I would assume that a lot of ex-wives do that, and I would assume a lot of them are telling the truth and also doing it back."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

lmao i remember when lowtax banned me for saying we shouldn't destroy people's lives based on accusations and instead wait for evidence.

and then i was banned and lol.

thats amazing