Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
What's a good way to farm AP Up Gems?

I've tried the end game approach to farm AP from spiders on Tephra Cave but it's still taking a silly amount of time even on the character I've got 100% AP Up on.

I read you could farm them from a superboss, but said superboss isn't dropping them for me.

Can you save scum the RNG from a chest that's dropped? I noticed unopened ones stick around after saving and reloading.

I know you can buy them from the Nopon Sage but they're 35k a piece, which is quite steep.

Also from my testing with this, keeping your non active party members at level 1 or 20 or whatever when you're grinding AP with your main seems to make a negligible difference to what they get.

Is the level difference to AP gain only really applicable to your active party due to the nerf the non active members get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Waltzing Along posted:

I've now finished 4 big JRPGs this year.

I think I'd go DQ11 > XB >>>>>> Nier: A >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FF7R

I don't know if this is because I played XB1 when it was new and felt more special but I'd never put DQ11 over this. The pep system alone is enough to put it lower but the game being "do the same areas 3 times" and the total lack of cohesion the story has is enough to tank it for me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Francis posted:

The ending of Torna is messy and skims over the Important Backstory Bits either way. You don't get much detail on the questions you ask in either game! Amalthus comes off as a generic evil pope and, um, he's not much more than that.

I'm honestly surprised it doesn't include the whole crux of Torna, which was Jin eating Lora's heart to become a Flesh-Eater. Instead it just pans back with what I can only describe as a "well you know how THIS ends..." shot.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Taear posted:

I don't know if this is because I played XB1 when it was new and felt more special but I'd never put DQ11 over this. The pep system alone is enough to put it lower but the game being "do the same areas 3 times" and the total lack of cohesion the story has is enough to tank it for me.

IMO: pep system > whatever the linking thing was in XB
XBs stupid gem crafting was just as dumb as the forge in DQ11, but the forge was an even bigger more annoying time waster.
Also, I felt XB was far too complex in its combat system and full of annoyances in the general gameplay. Having to do sweeps of villages in order to activate quests was pretty stupid. The game was very ambitious, but it went too far.
I liked the twist in DQ more and like the esthetic more. Admittedly, all the repetition after that was bad. But when looking back, I enjoyed DQ11 more than XB. At one point in XB I was already sure I would never play it again. It wasn't until I finished DQ11 that I came to the same conclusion.

But what is most important is both games are far better and more fun to play than FF7R which is one of the worst pieces of poo poo I have played in years. It's the most beautifully polished piece of poo poo ever.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

The trick is to just completely ignore act 3

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Francis posted:

The ending of Torna is messy and skims over the Important Backstory Bits either way. You don't get much detail on the questions you ask in either game! Amalthus comes off as a generic evil pope and, um, he's not much more than that.

A generic evil pope doesn't just give away an Aegis core to Torna's ultimate protagonist for kicks. Amalthus's motivations set the stage for why Malos is even a bad guy at all and why he attacked the Torna refugee camp with seemingly no provocation. Torna also just makes Indol out to be a villain zone immediately, as opposed to the buildup you get from wondering why Amalthus has Haze to him sending you to the World Tree and then trying to murder you when you're halfway up.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Waltzing Along posted:

IMO: pep system > whatever the linking thing was in XB

Pep is bad because it's random. Not being able to move on and complete a quest because you have to randomly have two specific characters pepped against a particular mob loving sucks.
At least the link system in XB1 makes sense and is workable.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Takoluka posted:

A generic evil pope doesn't just give away an Aegis core to Torna's ultimate protagonist for kicks. Amalthus's motivations set the stage for why Malos is even a bad guy at all and why he attacked the Torna refugee camp with seemingly no provocation. Torna also just makes Indol out to be a villain zone immediately, as opposed to the buildup you get from wondering why Amalthus has Haze to him sending you to the World Tree and then trying to murder you when you're halfway up.

Half that poo poo only matters to Xenoblade 2 proper. Amalthus's motivations in getting someone else to bond with Mythra to stop Malos don't make a whole lot of sense, period. "Malos is evil because Amalthus is evil" isn't really any more deep than 'Malos is evil because he's the evil aegis, not the good aegis.'

Torna spoiling obvious twists in Xenoblade 2 is an argument to play Xenoblade 2 first, but I am arguing to play Torna instead. Even if you do play both, you're spending hours waiting for the obvious evil guy to betray you for Reasons either way.

seriously m'dude a lot of these arguments are assuming that the player is completely genre-blind and cannot infer any context whatsoever

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm putting 'you can now buy the super rare Colony 6 rebuilding items with Noponstone now, but the prices are exorbitantly high and you need to grind out time trials to afford a single one' on my big list of problems Xenoblade games solve, then find a way to cause again

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waltzing Along posted:

But what is most important is both games are far better and more fun to play than FF7R which is one of the worst pieces of poo poo I have played in years. It's the most beautifully polished piece of poo poo ever.

Weird way to admit you were bad at FFVIIR but ok

Edit: you’re entitled to your opinion but that’s a Flamin Hot Cheetos take if I’ve ever heard one

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 28, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

multijoe posted:

I'm putting 'you can now buy the super rare Colony 6 rebuilding items with Noponstone now, but the prices are exorbitantly high and you need to grind out time trials to afford a single one' on my big list of problems Xenoblade games solve, then find a way to cause again

Haha yeah. Especially when its competing against rank 11 and rank 12 technique manuals which are also absurdly expensive.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

multijoe posted:

That, and you can't even buy them until the rear end-end of the game.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
How am I supposed to play with the ether party? If I play as Melia, and use Sharla and Riki, after I cast all of my elementals, the mobs come right to me and kill me as Melia.

So right now I switched it to Melia, Riki, and Dunban. I would use Reyn but for some reason his moron AI is selective on using auras, so his purple aura burst skill isn’t useable half the time in chain attacks, and Dunban’s Tempest kick is always up.

Is there a way to make the seventh character a tank? Struggling with the skills on this character.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zarfol posted:

How am I supposed to play with the ether party? If I play as Melia, and use Sharla and Riki, after I cast all of my elementals, the mobs come right to me and kill me as Melia.

So right now I switched it to Melia, Riki, and Dunban. I would use Reyn but for some reason his moron AI is selective on using auras, so his purple aura burst skill isn’t useable half the time in chain attacks, and Dunban’s Tempest kick is always up.

Is there a way to make the seventh character a tank? Struggling with the skills on this character.

OK yeah. Melia will draw aggro like crazy unless you mitigate it. You have to play a liiiiiittle more conservatively. Kit Riki with Aggro Up gems, firstly. Then, if you're having aggro problems, use Melia's damage over time attacks instead of Summon Bolt. (Assuming that is what you're doing.) Summon Earth, Flare, and Ice don't do as much damage up front, so they generate less aggro. Kit Melia with Poison Up/Blaze Up/Chill Up gems to kick the ongoing damage even higher.

As to your other questions, I have read that Seven can indeed function as a tank but I don't personally know how it's done. I think they can function as a dodge tank like Dunban can too with their Agility boosting equipment. I know mine dodges attacks like crazy with those.

Also, just in general, Ether parties don't rely nearly as much on Chain Attacks as physical parties do, so don't worry so much about it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I’m not sure there’s any meaningful way to really make the pure ether party work. Sharla’s exceptionally bad at damage, but I suppose you could get it to work if you focus on Chain Attack combos that allow Riki’s DOT spells, like Lurgy, to have a huge multiplier? Melia’s biggest strength is that Elemental Discharge is her talent art, which makes her fantastic at extending Chain Attacks and converting them to whatever color you need them to be, so its almost trivial getting a 4x or 5x multiplier on her and discharging Earth for massive poison damage.

As for Seven, you could build them as a dodge tank? I think I did that my first run through when I played the 3DS version, but its been like 5 years so I don’t remember the details. They were better at it than Dunban though!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zarfol posted:

You gotta ramp up your damage slowly with Melia because she can do huge burst damage and pull aggro even off real tanks like Dunban and Reyn.

For Seven, use the frame that has aggro up or maybe the speed frame. Use the rest of your slots to aim for max double attack chance(50%) and then agility where you can get it.
Set Speed Shift, Lock On and Final Cross as your arts. Maybe the heal one and Power Drain too. The rest can stay empty since most of your time will be spent autoattacking anyways.
Link Dunban's crit on heal talent and aggro talent. Get her 4th tree asap and learn Critical Combo which turns all double attacks into crits.
Then basically just autoattack your way to victory. Just be a bit cautious with aggro at the start and let her build some threat. But after that you should be good to go. The only thing that will really kill her is getting one shot.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
If you want to do an ether party, presumably to get those big juicy DoT mults, you should go Melia/Riki/Dunban; even if you're shooting for an ether party, Sharla's bad. Lead off with Spear Break to preserve shots(or just lead off with Discharge anyways if you have Mind Blast), then have Riki and Dunban use their own red arts to get the mult rolling. Second round is Discharge/DoT/Tempest Kick, third round is Discharge/DoT/Blossom Dance, and the fourth round, if you can manage to get that far, you can either use Riki's third ether DoT, or you can use his bleed and try to get one last meaty red art with Dunban in. After that, you're eating a mult reset no matter what.

Now, if you're really confidant you can keep it going for the full fifteen turns, then you could lead off with a Discharge, use five red arts to get the mult rolling, Discharge to color swap, then go through the cycle above, tossing in a Mind Blast at some point to compensate for the initial Discharge.

Edit: While Seven technically has three purples and her Talent, only one of those purples does damage, and if you gear her for Ether then she's not doing the murderblender thing.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Barudak posted:

Haha yeah. Especially when its competing against rank 11 and rank 12 technique manuals which are also absurdly expensive.

Wait wait wait, the what?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Wait wait wait, the what?

They're part of the new expansion and can be gotten in the main game a swell.

They significantly change some character's viabilities. Sharla for example is still by far the worst character in the game but it gives her the ability to be a passable DPS while the upgrades to Reyn basically make him a god.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

What do those arts manuals do that dramaticaly increase viabilities for some characters? Is it mostly the cooldowns?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ImpAtom posted:

They're part of the new expansion and can be gotten in the main game a swell.

They significantly change some character's viabilities. Sharla for example is still by far the worst character in the game but it gives her the ability to be a passable DPS while the upgrades to Reyn basically make him a god.

I see. I'm playing through the regular game first before doing the expansion.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ChaosArgate posted:

What do those arts manuals do that dramaticaly increase viabilities for some characters? Is it mostly the cooldowns?

Cooldowns, debuff duration, and damage.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm about an hour into future connected. Is it really going to be all nopon all the time? Riki was okay but these new ones are awful. Voice acting and writing combined. Eeuurggh.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I had my levels adjusted downward with expert mode when I got Rikki and Melia, and now they've joined at a much lower level than the max level of the rest of my party. Am I just stuck with Melia and Rikki on a lower level than my other characters now?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ogmius815 posted:

I had my levels adjusted downward with expert mode when I got Rikki and Melia, and now they've joined at a much lower level than the max level of the rest of my party. Am I just stuck with Melia and Rikki on a lower level than my other characters now?

The way the xp formula works, they’ll catch up eventually. Riki especially will end up racing ahead of everyone else because of all his bonus XP skills.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

CaptainPsyko posted:

The way the xp formula works, they’ll catch up eventually. Riki especially will end up racing ahead of everyone else because of all his bonus XP skills.

Can I have some kind of hint as to when the seventh party member will join so that I know to crank up my levels to avoid this happening again?

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Unoriginal One posted:

If you want to do an ether party, presumably to get those big juicy DoT mults, you should go Melia/Riki/Dunban; even if you're shooting for an ether party, Sharla's bad. Lead off with Spear Break to preserve shots(or just lead off with Discharge anyways if you have Mind Blast), then have Riki and Dunban use their own red arts to get the mult rolling. Second round is Discharge/DoT/Tempest Kick, third round is Discharge/DoT/Blossom Dance, and the fourth round, if you can manage to get that far, you can either use Riki's third ether DoT, or you can use his bleed and try to get one last meaty red art with Dunban in. After that, you're eating a mult reset no matter what.

Now, if you're really confidant you can keep it going for the full fifteen turns, then you could lead off with a Discharge, use five red arts to get the mult rolling, Discharge to color swap, then go through the cycle above, tossing in a Mind Blast at some point to compensate for the initial Discharge.

Edit: While Seven technically has three purples and her Talent, only one of those purples does damage, and if you gear her for Ether then she's not doing the murderblender thing.

Yeah I'm liking the Melia, Dunban, Riki, (in that order) party so far, even better, they can all link to Riki's +10% sliver chest (and I think the gold chest skill, haven't unlocked that yet) for that sweet loot. My chain attacks don't last multiple rounds but I'll usually wait for the elemental bonus (for +100% damage), get through the first round for the 4x mutiplier through a summon ice, tempest kick, then cast the poison for mad DOT damage.

Only problem is I have no way to break visions other than just pinging Dunban and force him to cast Jaws of Death to stay alive, because his Thunder (fart attack?) only hits stuff behind him and the AI is too stupid to use it.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

Can I have some kind of hint as to when the seventh party member will join so that I know to crank up my levels to avoid this happening again?

There's a very short section when Shulk is your only party member (but you can still change everyone's levels with expert mode) just before Seven joins.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Systematic System posted:

There's a very short section when Shulk is your only party member (but you can still change everyone's levels with expert mode) just before Seven joins.

Also it will be very very obvious at that moment who the 7th party member is and that they are about to join you. (And that spoiler is very safe go ahead and click it.)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
But you can't lower someone's level below what it was when they joined so you might not want to crank it too high.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

YggiDee posted:

But you can't lower someone's level below what it was when they joined so you might not want to crank it too high.

This isn’t true; there’s a minimum level for each character but it’s unrelated to the level they join at (other than, y’know, being a minimum.)

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

CaptainPsyko posted:

This isn’t true; there’s a minimum level for each character but it’s unrelated to the level they join at (other than, y’know, being a minimum.)

Yup this is true. Before starting NG+ I downgraded everyone's level so that I wouldn't start with a super OP party.

Shulk and Reyn go all the way to level 1. Sharla goes to level 10 (despite joining at around level 14/15 in my game). Dundun goes to level 20 (despite joining at level 25/26), Melia and Riki go all the way down to levels in the 25ish range (despite joining at level 30-33ish), and Seven goes all the way down to level 40 (despite joining at level 59).

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Doing some sidequest cleanup after I got all the party members, and a couple observations:

Whoever decided to put the Spike aura that activates on Topple on loving Mechon deserves to have something bad happen to them. Whoever it is, I hope they stub their toe, and I hope her hurts. A lot.

I put Melia in my party, under AI control, because I needed to build affinity with her and I wanted to see just how bad she was. Answer uh... if you tell your party members to Focus Attacks she's uh... actually not bad? She actually fired off her dang summons! Like, before I fired off a Chain Attack, I had to make sure she had any banked, cuz I went into a couple Chain Attacks and Melia didn't have any Summons to discharge! Things were melting all around me in a sea of fiery and icy death. :stare: Who are you and what have you done with AI Melia?!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Honestly the part of AI Melia that's giving me the most trouble is that she won't use Spear Break -> Starlight Kick nearly enough. Or at all. Actually, that's the weird part of a Seven/Riki/Melia team, you only have force topples and Break is worthless.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

YggiDee posted:

Honestly the part of AI Melia that's giving me the most trouble is that she won't use Spear Break -> Starlight Kick nearly enough. Or at all. Actually, that's the weird part of a Seven/Riki/Melia team, you only have force topples and Break is worthless.

Relying on any character other than Dunban to properly execute combos that require using sequential moves is just asking for trouble. Reyn will blow Magnum Charge on Hammer Beat or whatever, Shulk will use Shadow Eye->Air Slash, Melia will routinely run out of summons and not use her topple combo, etc. etc.

For whatever reason, Dunban's AI is pretty good about this though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CaptainPsyko posted:

Relying on any character other than Dunban to properly execute combos that require using sequential moves is just asking for trouble. Reyn will blow Magnum Charge on Hammer Beat or whatever, Shulk will use Shadow Eye->Air Slash, Melia will routinely run out of summons and not use her topple combo, etc. etc.

For whatever reason, Dunban's AI is pretty good about this though.

I really love Definitive Edition as a whole, but they sorely needed to give the party AI a rebuild.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Also this is why the optimal party 90% of the time is [Whoever you want to control] + Dunban + Riki.

Reyn is fine too so long as you don’t put Magnum Charge on his bar and only give him one Aura (Berserker) and don’t give him Aura Burst.

Riki is idiot proof even for AI, and Dunban magically somehow has good AI.

Ether party? Melia Dunban Riki

Physical Party? Shulk Dunban Riki

Want to try out Seven? Seven Dunban Riki.

You get the idea.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

I put Melia in my party, under AI control, because I needed to build affinity with her and I wanted to see just how bad she was.

Good way to get affinity up really quick if you still need to is to turn on expert mode. I like to go to a mechon area. Anyway, level down your 2 party members to 10 levels below a mob and remove all of their skills from their bar. Keep your main dude to be at max levels above the mechon. The 2 party members will keep missing while you spam the burst affinities and encouragements, and you don’t do any damage. Takes maybe 20ish minutes per pair I want to say?

I know there is a faster way with that dude that sleeps you, but that requires high levels and gem setups.

But yeah, couple annoyances with this game so far are Skill Books, affinity (party members AND areas. This 4 + star before you can do a quest sucks), the AI, and the somewhat annoying RNG on the gem crafting.

I kept Sharla at Low affinity so she can up the gems by 10-20 points to get close to 90ish before crafting for mega heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zarfol posted:

Good way to get affinity up really quick if you still need to is to turn on expert mode. I like to go to a mechon area. Anyway, level down your 2 party members to 10 levels below a mob and remove all of their skills from their bar. Keep your main dude to be at max levels above the mechon. The 2 party members will keep missing while you spam the burst affinities and encouragements, and you don’t do any damage. Takes maybe 20ish minutes per pair I want to say?

Haven't had to resort to that yet. I've got Seven at purple cloud affinity with everyone but Melia just from running around doing quests and I haven't even gone to Mechonis Field yet. :shrug: