Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you're attacking "defensive" pagans like slavs, there's a whole lot of attrition unless you build a fort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I hadn't played a character during the Black Death since 2015, and I am really loving the "gently caress you" dimension where all my plans get derailed for a couple generations. Even a minor epidemic often wipes out half my courtiers and vassals, which I guess is why you're supposed to dump a bunch of money into a hospital.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

CK2 builds from early 2011

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Post the old Mediterranean faces.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I hadn't played a character during the Black Death since 2015, and I am really loving the "gently caress you" dimension where all my plans get derailed for a couple generations. Even a minor epidemic often wipes out half my courtiers and vassals, which I guess is why you're supposed to dump a bunch of money into a hospital.

You can also just close the gates

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Wow lol amazing how much those just look like 3D CK1

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The interface only slightly improved

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Magil Zeal posted:

The interface only slightly improved

yeah I was gonna say it's surprising how the UI has kept that same font / button / layout style right since the beginning.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is there a way to automatically assign honorary titles? The Byzantines have over 50 honorary titles grantable which is great, but a lot of clicking.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Does anyone know if they're keeping artifacts/equipment in for CK3? I imagine it's kind of an unpopular feature, but I really liked the idea of passing down the family gear over the course of the game and I'm hoping that they expand on that mechanic. It would be cool to have some more variety and maybe some deeper features/events associated with different kinds of items.

With the expanded character models they've shown I'm already looking forward to the possibility of getting to play dress-up a little more.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I dunno if it's been mentioned yet but yeah with the big 3D portraits that would be an obvious candidate for DLC. Like your unique family crown, sword, etc. getting passed down, would be pretty cool.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

they haven't mentioned it at all yet, unfortunately. i agree that it's something i would want in because it builds momentum across generations, it's an incredible investment return.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

PizzaProwler posted:

Does anyone know if they're keeping artifacts/equipment in for CK3? I imagine it's kind of an unpopular feature, but I really liked the idea of passing down the family gear over the course of the game and I'm hoping that they expand on that mechanic. It would be cool to have some more variety and maybe some deeper features/events associated with different kinds of items.

With the expanded character models they've shown I'm already looking forward to the possibility of getting to play dress-up a little more.

They haven’t said anything yet about that afaik, but I agree. Why do you think they’re unpopular? Everyone seems to enjoy artifacts

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The biggest feature that just feels superfluous is societies. I've done most of the events that seem easily available and I don't see why I should bother doing more.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah, collecting books and fancy swords and mods that add more artifacts are one of my favorite things, along with societies. Though I haven't seen anything about either feature so I'm assuming it won't be in at the start. Which is a shame.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The biggest feature that just feels superfluous is societies. I've done most of the events that seem easily available and I don't see why I should bother doing more.

They suffer from being... I dunno the official term for this, an "orphan mechanic"? As in, they barely interact with anything else in the game, they're just this weird dialogue box off on their own, and you can forget they exist and barely notice. Obviously they're DLC, but they could have been integrated better with existing stuff. They have zero interactions with the lifestyles from Way of Life, for example, which seems like an obvious way to tie them in. Have an event where your monk buddies notice how obsessed you are with war and ask you to change focus, etc.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

i mean hard disagree on that? societies might have a relatively shallow set of events, but without them, peace time is incredibly boring and has very little going on. they let you keep building your character while other things are moving and i'd miss them a lot more than artifacts, being honest.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

They haven’t said anything yet about that afaik, but I agree. Why do you think they’re unpopular? Everyone seems to enjoy artifacts

I think I've always assumed that they're unpopular because they have a tendency to help the player snowball too much. Now that I think about it though, there seem to be lots of other features that contribute to that. Glad to hear that so many other people like them too.

A whole expansion focusing on both artifacts and societies would be very cool if they did it right.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

PizzaProwler posted:

I think I've always assumed that they're unpopular because they have a tendency to help the player snowball too much. Now that I think about it though, there seem to be lots of other features that contribute to that. Glad to hear that so many other people like them too.

A whole expansion focusing on both artifacts and societies would be very cool if they did it right.

I mean CK2 is kind of poorly balanced as a challenging game. It's incredibly easy to just conquer the entire world. I remember easily doing a Magyar world conquest in under 50 years, granted this was before Rajas of India, but still. If I really try it's not hard to just snowball all over the map. And this is without books or societies. Like they are powerful, but they are powerful in a more fun than just brute forcing event troops and the like, and more entertaining for roleplaying, even if yes Pagan warrior societies help you not die in combat or monk orders help you immensely with stability and with the pope.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
is there a way to see your reformed pagan religion features after you initially reform it? i need to check what i chose and how it works and can't find anything that shows it for the life of me

also i think i have ship raider abilities now and need to figure out how to make use of that, but i think it's mostly just building more ships buildings somewhere in holdings and then launching people

had a weird thing where my lodge-assigned raid target was on my borders and my troops just sat in it doing nothing even with my ruler leading the army and looter turned on, but eh, guess you never get 100% of the bugs out

in related news, my master seducer voice of satan reformer of the faith finally got enough people pissed at him that even 28 intrigue couldn't save him from being shot down on some backcountry road, rip. went to check his final kill count at the end and i entirely did not intend for this to happen

:yosnice:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Most of the complaints about artifacts and societies I've seen is that they're another contribution to the stat/good trait bloat that's been getting worse over CK2's lifespan. Like, just hang out in a monastic order and you have to try to not end up with all 7 virtues and no sins. The final perk for a monastic order is literally 'gives you diligent'.

Plus, since the AI isn't programmed to always be writing a book until you have your maximum equipped, it's yet another thing that ends up with the player being stronger.

Yeah, CK2 isn't a balanced game to begin with, but does that mean that we should bring along all mechanics to make it even easier?

I do agree, though, that equippable weapons or clothing makes all kinds of sense with the 3d models, and I wouldn't be surprised if, if they did bring back artifacts, they limited them to just weapons, armor, and crowns or clothing.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

megane posted:

They have zero interactions with the lifestyles from Way of Life, for example, which seems like an obvious way to tie them in. Have an event where your monk buddies notice how obsessed you are with war and ask you to change focus, etc.

pretty sure this exact thing does happen

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Societies are a good way to pad out peacetime, but I find I fall into a cycle of joining the same society over and over again and doing the same stuff over and over again with my heirs because why wouldn't you recruit your heir so they get a head start on earning points (or Hermetic society would create artifacts that only other members of the society could use, so if your heir inherited them you'd probably want to have them as a member)? Hopefully there's enough lifestyle events to make up for losing societies, because I can see ending up with heirs in different educations and thus different focuses getting different events more easily than just hopping back onto the society grind.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 30, 2020

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

is there a way to see your reformed pagan religion features after you initially reform it? i need to check what i chose and how it works and can't find anything that shows it for the life of me

also i think i have ship raider abilities now and need to figure out how to make use of that, but i think it's mostly just building more ships buildings somewhere in holdings and then launching people

had a weird thing where my lodge-assigned raid target was on my borders and my troops just sat in it doing nothing even with my ruler leading the army and looter turned on, but eh, guess you never get 100% of the bugs out

Mouse over the religion icon in your character page

Put raiders on a boat, put the boat next to some heathen's provinces, unload raiders, profit

Did you have enough troops to raze the province's top holding? You should eventually complete the siege if you wait long enough.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

If the province owner has beaten you in a battle, you can’t raid their stuff for two years. That’d usually be the problem if you’re sitting on the castle and nothing is happening. Could also be that they were raided recently, but then the holdings would be on fire / have a modifier showing such

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

You also get the raiding truce if one of your vassals were kicked out. No idea how it works if you're a vassal, though.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
probably societies won't be in ck3 at launch because most of what they do is replaced by the new skill tree thing

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is there a way to automatically assign honorary titles? The Byzantines have over 50 honorary titles grantable which is great, but a lot of clicking.

Just don't give them out lol. They're there to be used to give opinion bumps to vassals which is so dependent on what you actually want to do that it would be a dumb waste to let the AI decide that.

edit: how would you even have the AI decide who to give them to? Your most hated vassals? What if you want to pass a law? Your most loved vassals? What if you want to squeeze some guy out of a faction? What about giving them to your heir for prestige bonuses?

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 30, 2020

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Just don't give them out lol. They're there to be used to give opinion bumps to vassals which is so dependent on what you actually want to do that it would be a dumb waste to let the AI decide that.

edit: how would you even have the AI decide who to give them to? Your most hated vassals? What if you want to pass a law? Your most loved vassals? What if you want to squeeze some guy out of a faction? What about giving them to your heir for prestige bonuses?

I mean, does Master of the Horse even do anything for you besides +10 opinion or whatever? Besides Court Jester, I usually give them to the guy at the top of the list, which uses whatever magic algorithm but works fine.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I mean, does Master of the Horse even do anything for you besides +10 opinion or whatever? Besides Court Jester, I usually give them to the guy at the top of the list, which uses whatever magic algorithm but works fine.

Nah, as Knuc U Kinte said, just hang onto them until you need that little extra relations boost. It's nothing more than that - I wouldn't stress about dealing them out. At most, for RP purposes, if there's a character who I really like (like, he/she has proven competent and has aided my ruler in some event or whatever) I might give them an honorary title.
That being said though, if I remember at the time I might also give my primary heir a title that gives them a small trickle of prestige, just to give them a prestige boost for later on when they're in charge. But they're all basically pointless, aside from doling them out as an almost-free bribe, to whoever you need to curry favour with at the time.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

In the byzantine case I think some honorary titles such as caesar and Augustus count in the owners favour in the imperial succession system.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Coolguye posted:

i mean hard disagree on that? societies might have a relatively shallow set of events, but without them, peace time is incredibly boring and has very little going on. they let you keep building your character while other things are moving and i'd miss them a lot more than artifacts, being honest.

If anything, societies are poorly designed in that AI doesn't really use them. Even the amateur player can forge a dynasty of extremely high stats individuals using societies. Satanists are fancier but they don't give you real boosts; other societies heal you of stress, improve your heirs and send tons of prestige or piety your way.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the AI most definitely uses the goddamn satanist society

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Coolguye posted:

gently caress SATANISTS

Coolguye posted:

MAYBE YOU MISERABLE BLACK HOODED JIZZ RAGS WILL STOP GIVING ME CANCER NOW THAT IVE INCINERATED YOU ALL

EAT poo poo

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The AI can be a really annoying menace with the secret religion societies. It's why I pretty much have to have my chaplain on hunt apostate 90% of the time since Monks and Mystics, even if I turn Satanists off.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I honestly don't give a gently caress about most secret religions. If my vassals want to worship {pagan deity} or {wrong monotheist deity} that's their business and problem (I don't mind burning them if they're dumb enough to get caught) right up until they declare openly for their religion at which point I revoke half to two thirds of their poo poo and give the titles to {my religion} people who will finish the job on the idiots. This keeps a couple levels of vassals productively occupied for 50-60 years. Satanists, however, can suck an entire bag of dicks.

I don't mean a peasant sized bag, either, we're talking Emperor's tax collector sized bulk bag here.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

secret religion cults are a much bigger problem when most of your vassals are your family because you've been stuffing the entire ruling strata with your distant relations, just because it means burning them at the stake will get you kinslayer. that said yeah if your realm is well organized and you are independent then religious strife is an opportunity much more often than it's a problem. i'm never happier than when someone openly starts a cathar heresy in my realm <100 years into the game because i am absolutely going heretic for a few months to force all the laws in the realm to be full status of women/absolute cognatic before telling the pope i'm super sorries, for real tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I just remember one game where I reformed Hellenism and was doing really well in converting vassals to the religion, and then whoops, suddenly a bunch of vassals went Orthodox again because a cult had been converting them for years. Soured me on those cults pretty bad. I suppose it's partly my fault for choosing the Cosmopolitan nature (religious revocation not allowed!), but I was trying to be on-theme.