Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Proteus Jones posted:

Gwen Stacy would like a word with you. Well, if she were alive that is.

Or is Second Hand Spider-Man tracked separately?

Big Spider-Man * basically conditioned the reports. So they would have gone and re-classified this as a Green Goblin based test. Like how those countries lowered their Covid-19 fatalities by kicking people out of the hospital before they died or reported it as pneumonia.

*= It's up there with Big Tobacco and Big Pharma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ben Reilly died from being Spider-man so in universe it's 50/50.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope my sons never become superheroes, I'd be so dead within the first week of them donning a cape.

Apropos of nothing... when's the last time you spoke to their mother?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Rhyno posted:

Ben Reilly died from being Spider-man so in universe it's 50/50.

This case was retroactively reclassified as a Scarlet Spider-related comorbidity, so the numbers stand.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope my sons never become superheroes, I'd be so dead within the first week of them donning a cape.

But you will also come back to life so it's a crap shoot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Whether or not Superman's parents are alive seems to change every reboot, but they usually die of natural causes in the one's where they're dead. Even in Man of Steel, Kevin Costner died partially to protect Clark's secret, but if Clark didn't have powers Costner would have still put his son under the bridge to save him, then risk going back into the tornado to save other people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SpyxFamily

Anya has to interview a parent to do a report on what they do for a living. Her mother starts thinking about telling Anya about her real job as an assassin.

(Anya is psychic so she can read her mother's thoughts.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

What is this from?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ToxicFrog posted:

What is this from?

Chainsawman

It's about a world where devils appear based on concepts that people are afraid of, and their strength is proportional to the amount that people fear them. So like the main character merges with a chainsaw devil, and thus is pretty strong. The woman here is Power, the blood devil.

The main antagonist of the series is the Gun Devil, natch.

It's a really good series!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sandman - Brief Lives
Being the ancient personification of the concept of Delirium makes you a very good driver.

Whispered Words
When you are very gay and see a cute girl.

Slacker vol. 1 c1994

(i think i might still have this in a box somewhere...)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zoben posted:

Jeez Pete, we all know that smoking is bad for you, but give MJ a break. That's some histrionic nagging he's putting out for a guy who risks his life daily

He hates people smoking because smokers KILLED HIS UNCLE

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Slashrat posted:

The statistics are in his favor though. Lots of people have died due to smoking-induced illness. Zero people have died due to being Spider-man.
What about the countless spider-people Morlun ate? They specifically died due to being Spider-person.

In fact, baring a few exceptions, death seems to be the norm here.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Don't forget Ultimate Spidey.

Or the first Peter from Into the Spider-Verse.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Yeah, depending on the timeline/universe, he's kicked the bucket a bunch. He's just throwing quite a lot of shame her way and basically saying "YOU'RE GOING TO DIE" right after coming from a memorial service, according to the panel (haven't read the book). I hate smoking for sure but give her a break. I'm so worked up about this completely fictional interaction, I'm gonna go nuts :supaburn:

Anyway, where the hell did she find a cigarette that thin? Looks like a goddamn lollipop.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zoben posted:

Anyway, where the hell did she find a cigarette that thin? Looks like a goddamn lollipop.

she's come a long way baby.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

she's come a long way baby.

Wow I don't know if I'm old for getting that or you're old for posting it

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Scaramouche posted:

Wow I don't know if I'm old for getting that or you're old for posting it

It's both. You are both olds.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Zoben posted:

Jeez Pete, we all know that smoking is bad for you, but give MJ a break. That's some histrionic nagging he's putting out for a guy who risks his life daily

oh Pete, smoking's not what gave her cancer.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I was wondering how long it'd take before we got there

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #35 (1954)

From Beyond the Unknown #9 (1971)

The Adventures of Spider-Man #7 (1996)

Spidey: School's Out #5 (2018)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #35 (1954)

This is a gross misuse of public infrastructure.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #35 (1954)

Makes me think of how different the scene with the jumper is in All Star Superman

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is a gross misuse of public infrastructure.

Don't worry dear reader, one of Superboy's powers is an infrastructure repair beam. He fires it out of his

*looks over at editor helplessly shrugging his shoulders*

uh, out of his shoulders.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Darthemed posted:

From Beyond the Unknown #9 (1971)
same

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lobok posted:

Don't worry dear reader, one of Superboy's powers is an infrastructure repair beam. He fires it out of his

*looks over at editor helplessly shrugging his shoulders*

uh, out of his shoulders.
You joke, but...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfwHe0NqVvY

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Funnily enough Quest for Peace is by far my most watched Superman movie from how often TV stations would run it. Electrified fingernails, elevator cars on the moon, and Wall-Building-Vision (unclear if it works on all walls or just Great ones) are enduring Superman memories of mine.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Makes me think of how different the scene with the jumper is in All Star Superman

"Go ahead and jump, sucker! Oh and I guess your doctor really was late, whatever."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The book Superman vs. Hollywood (which was about all the varioous attempts made to adapt Superman into cinema) spoke about the original script for the 70's Superman movie was to be written by Mario Puzzo, the person who wrote the Godfather.

It was to have a scene of Superman using his heat vision to rebuild the Great Wall of China. It was one of a number of mad ideas.They changed his script, but that idea kicked around in the head of film execs.

I think the plan was that Superman was to use his super speed to rebuild the Great Wall of China, but to save on budget they just make it his heat vision do the job.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Wolverine once again is tripping balls.

Marvel Comics Presents #88

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
if that's wasn't done by Sam Kieth I'll eat a hat. Just from the way the woman is slouched in panel 2.

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 30, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That’s what I immediately saw too. Looks a lot like the girl from the Maxx.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Yup, he did the art for this story. He did several Wolvie stories for MCP.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wow CYBER.

havent seen that character around in awhile. laffo

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Big Spider-Man * basically conditioned the reports. So they would have gone and re-classified this as a Green Goblin based test. Like how those countries lowered their Covid-19 fatalities by kicking people out of the hospital before they died or reported it as pneumonia.

*= It's up there with Big Tobacco and Big Pharma

Big Spider-Man is the Fat Cobra of spidermen and I will not see him besmirched in this fashion.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

evilmiera posted:

Big Spider-Man is the Fat Cobra of spidermen and I will not see him besmirched in this fashion.

(Not a real cover, for the younglings wondering)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Did Silver Age Spidey ever reach "Superman just legit being a jerk to everybody"/"If I don't eat my shield I'll die!" levels of weird? :thunk:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not really. I mean yeah, a lot of early Marvel heroes were huge jerks but that was just how they were written. The DC brand of weirdness was largely due to them coming up with a crazy cover that catches your eye (why would Superman force Aquaman and Batman to fight to the death????) first and then making the creative team fill in the story.

In my view, Marvel never really had a "Silver Age", that was a DC-specific thing, Marvel's own brand of early comics was quite different in tone.

The weirdest Marvel stuff was written in the mid to late 70s, by creators like Gerber and Starlin, but it was more self-consciously psychedelic and absurdist rather than the "dream logic played straight" feeling of some of the iconic weirder Superman stories.

E: Actually, a coupe of weird What Ifs are the closest in tone to that weird DC stuff, probably because they similarly flow directly from a bizarre premise that gets built upon.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 1, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My fav weird ol silver age comic was when Superman got hit by an enlarging ray or something, and then conducted an interview with 'Clark Kent' on a giant prop set where he speeds back and forth to give the illusion of them both being in the same room.

"Hey Superman is it true you're actually giant now?"
"lol no, also all those people that saw me huge are crazy"

My Dad's friend lent me a few boxes of old comics as a kid and most of them were silver age comics. It was great. :allears:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Did Silver Age Spidey ever reach "Superman just legit being a jerk to everybody"/"If I don't eat my shield I'll die!" levels of weird? :thunk:

The whole idea behind the series of covers that included the above fat Spidey and Cap eating his shield was an artist pondering "What if Marvel's stuff did get as weird as DC's?" because it didn't in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Synthbuttrange posted:

wow CYBER.

havent seen that character around in awhile. laffo

The only thing I remember about that character was some edgy jackass feeding him to super piranha in order to win over Wolverine by offering him to use Cyber's adamanitium as a replacement.