Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Hey come on you know he lives in London. Don't give the Met any ideas.
Yeah I'd be very wary of carrying round anything in a shoebox in London, up to and including shoes, just in case they became three MAC-10s on the way to the evidence room.

DesperateDan posted:

But my personal one is the new knives go on top of the old knives in the drawer and sometimes an old knife gets used as a tool or ballast or a science experiment
This is the correct answer.

crispix posted:

This is what he actually meant when he said "you ain't seen nothing yet" :spooky:
:distonk:

e: Proposition 184 was California's three-strikes law in 1994.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

My very wealthy tory-party card holding, financial firm senior bod relative always says that too. "It wasn't austerity."
Well maybe there is some technical definition of austerity that it wasn't, but it sure felt like it in the colloquial, daily usage of the term.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

endlessmonotony posted:

On Starmer, everyone concludes: Well that's someone with no competence in anything at all and someone who won't rock the boat in any possible way.

The worst lack all conviction too, it seems.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It wasn't austerity, because actual austerity raises taxes heavily while cutting spending in an attempt to drive down debt.

This wasn't any of that poo poo and just cut services for ideological reasons and killed a bunch of people.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
really glad i quit gently caress this oval office

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1277502265851551745?s=20

peake needs to sue imo

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1277487267242745856?s=20

SNP being massive shites too

https://twitter.com/Bonjour_Teddy/status/1277340418821193730?s=20

Jose fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 29, 2020

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jose posted:

peake needs to sue imo

that would be difficult when she's already admitted the original assertion was a mistake and apologised publicly for it

probably wants to let the story die now,

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
She's probably pretty freaked at her throwaway remark blowing up into this massive political story.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

of course the big brained science is best adviser is a climate change skeptic

https://twitter.com/henrymance/status/1277529724303048705?s=20

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pistol_Pete posted:

She's probably pretty freaked at her throwaway remark blowing up into this massive political story.

Pretty naive to think you can say mean things about Israel and nice things about Corbyn in the same interview and get away with it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean she can, and did.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Cerv posted:

that would be difficult when she's already admitted the original assertion was a mistake and apologised publicly for it

probably wants to let the story die now,

She said that Israeli forces taught the specific technique used in the death of George Floyd.

That is not, and it would be defamatory to say, she blamed Israel or Jewish people for his death.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If RLB was my MP and she got fired for tweeting an interview I gave, I wouldn't consider myself to have gotten away with it. Hurting someone you respect feels pretty poo poo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

of course the big brained science is best adviser is a climate change skeptic

https://twitter.com/henrymance/status/1277529724303048705?s=20

My parents got their house insulated for free, paid for by the Scottish government. It was a 1930s council house & had some serious drafts. It was loving amazing. Like, you could almost instantly notice a difference. Even if you don't care about climate change it's just saves money on heating & also a general improvement of life thing. Of course Dom cares about neither of those things, twat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1277533406360776704?s=20

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol long bailey got corbyned by the media

Someone post that pic showing the public’s trust of the media take a nose dive during the 2019 election

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

My stepdad has had Alzheimer’s for a while and recently developed cancer. It’s absolutely destroying my mum, who’s quarantined along with him back in the UK.

I’m in China with wife and kids and no prospect of being able to travel back to the UK any time soon to see what life in whatever you call that period after fascists gain power and before they end elections is like. There’s a risk they will both die (well, more than my stepdad already has done, although at least he wasn’t in a home because that seems to be an actual death sentence) before I can get back to see them in person again. At least we can do video calls.

Nothing to do about it except take life one horrible loving day at a time and feel guilty about all the time I didn’t spend calling my parents over the past couple of decades. Talk to your parents, people, however awkward and difficult the calls are.

Just in an absolutely filthy mood at how poo poo everything is. Thanks for attending my ted talk etc.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

My stepdad has had Alzheimer’s for a while and recently developed cancer. It’s absolutely destroying my mum, who’s quarantined along with him back in the UK.

I’m in China with wife and kids and no prospect of being able to travel back to the UK any time soon to see what life in whatever you call that period after fascists gain power and before they end elections is like. There’s a risk they will both die (well, more than my stepdad already has done, although at least he wasn’t in a home because that seems to be an actual death sentence) before I can get back to see them in person again. At least we can do video calls.

Nothing to do about it except take life one horrible loving day at a time and feel guilty about all the time I didn’t spend calling my parents over the past couple of decades. Talk to your parents, people, however awkward and difficult the calls are.

Just in an absolutely filthy mood at how poo poo everything is. Thanks for attending my ted talk etc.

Oh man that sucks poo poo. I really hope you can get home to see them again.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Beefeater1980 posted:

Sorry to read this. Hugs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Condolences Beefeater.

forkboy84 posted:

My parents got their house insulated for free, paid for by the Scottish government. It was a 1930s council house & had some serious drafts. It was loving amazing. Like, you could almost instantly notice a difference. Even if you don't care about climate change it's just saves money on heating & also a general improvement of life thing. Of course Dom cares about neither of those things, twat.
I really don't like those fake brick outside insulation that they put on a lot of terraced houses around here. They look like the same lovely metal plastic cladding on Grenfell but dressed as bricks.

Maybe it's just me but there's a lot of things I'd consider before slapping the world's fakest-rear end bricks all over.

Like even the same cladding but flower pattern wouldn't be quite as insulting. Hawaiian shirt house.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I like the fake brick, it's fine. A plain render is fine too, but maybe you want to fit in with the neighbours or whatever. Who cares.

Also, it's often does as slip-brick, which is real brick just shaved down to a thin layer to go on top of external render. It's not structurally essential or anything but I don't go around eyeballing my neighbours houses to identify unnecessary non-load bearing components

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think the big problem is that it doesn't fit in with the neighbours, because it's stuck out 4 inches, the bricks are too regular, and it's just slightly off. It's like Hollywood smile uncanny. There's plenty of houses that are spackled and whitewashed, and you could make cladding look like that a lot easier.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

@bessantj @Jaeluni Asjil @guavanaut Thanks. This thread is one of the least lovely places on the internet and I’m glad it didn’t get wiped out last weekend.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Guavanaut posted:

I think the big problem is that it doesn't fit in with the neighbours, because it's stuck out 4 inches, the bricks are too regular, and it's just slightly off. It's like Hollywood smile uncanny. There's plenty of houses that are spackled and whitewashed, and you could make cladding look like that a lot easier.

Similarly the new build houses near my place have fake plastic chimneys on the roofs. Even without considering weathering they're a visibly different colour to the actual brickwork and noticeably wobble in a strong wind. The houses would look a hundred times better without them, or with a 'real' fake one made from two dozen bricks and a clay pot.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well did I get an ear-bashing! "I can take care of myself, I don't need looking after etc".

The issue there is that 'looking after' does imply a certain incapacity on the part of person you're saying it to. I'm sure you didn't mean it to suggest that but, disabled or not, anyone could haven taken it as patronising.* My concern would be more if that person had responded as negatively to you offering them 'a hand' without thinking, because that's just using a common idiom meant helpfully in 99% of cases.

endlessmonotony posted:

Disabled people, by far and wide, have plenty of poo poo to worry about as it is and this language policing is actual, honest-to-god virtue signalling. It's infantilizing, it denies us language we've been using for ourselves for a goddamn era, and requires us to give some of what few spoons we have left to memorizing this utter loving nonsense.

I kind of agree with this (though I'm not a big fan of spoon theory tbh). It feels implicitly patronising in itself to suggest that a disabled person must lack the ability to interpret the intent behind a common 'ableist' phrase that is so much an ingrained part of language as to be almost completely divorced from the disability it alludes to, and must instead be protected from words that might cause An Offence. There are exceptions to this like 'retarded' though I'd argue that part of the reason for this has been the influence of the widespread use of it amongst right-aligned culture war 4chan types investing it with deeper significance.

I'm just trying to imagine getting furious and indignant at some granny telling her grandkid she's 'sweet enough to eat' or some equivalent granny phrase in front of me, a diabetic who cannot process sugar, and honestly the idea is laughable and its kinda offensive that anyone would take it upon themselves to go on such a crusade on my behalf.

*English doesn't exactly help itself avoid these issues, because it's super common for precise word/phrase meanings to vary between different dialects (and sociolects) to sometimes quite extreme degrees, and even then this can change based on circumstances. For example I remember discussing some awful event, a mass shooting I think, with a German, and I said something like 'it's not exactly ideal' and had to very quickly explain that I was using understatement and I wasn't actually mostly indifferent! I find even some native English speakers tend to be more direct and literal too - Americans in particular, though there are of course fault lines amongst that group too. And I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone that calling someone a 'oval office' is going to get you a wildly different response in Glasgow than it is in most other parts of the UK.). I imagine this must be an issue in most languages really.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 29, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Condolences Beefeater.

I really don't like those fake brick outside insulation that they put on a lot of terraced houses around here. They look like the same lovely metal plastic cladding on Grenfell but dressed as bricks.

Maybe it's just me but there's a lot of things I'd consider before slapping the world's fakest-rear end bricks all over.

Like even the same cladding but flower pattern wouldn't be quite as insulting. Hawaiian shirt house.

Aye, people who did my folks area did it with...gently caress, my minds gone blank on the name of the technique but it's y'know, one of those white paint jobs with white gravel embedded into it. I want to call it grouting but that's obviously something entirely different. You'd know it if you saw it.

It is fun seeing the only house in the street that didn't get it done & how their walls don't stick out an extra few inches

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pebbledashing?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

the bricks are too regular, and it's just slightly off. It's like Hollywood smile uncanny

You could maybe tinker with the printing process so you could factor in degrees of irregularity. It would really mess with those people who can't stand irregularity or imperfection. Although those people are probably more likely to be psychopaths going from personal experience so possibly there'd be a risk of them setting fire to it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Pebbledashing?

Similar, but the term I was looking for was harling (which was linked on the pebbledashing Wikipedia page when I went to check if that was right)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jackhunter64 posted:

fake plastic chimneys
I had no idea this was a thing and I can imagine it's like the 90s UPVC mock Tudor levels of offputting/lol.

forkboy84 posted:

gently caress, my minds gone blank on the name of the technique but it's y'know, one of those white paint jobs with white gravel embedded into it. I want to call it grouting but that's obviously something entirely different. You'd know it if you saw it.
Rendering I think. Yeah, that can look really nice in white or light pastel, and you can do it straight on the brick, which has some insulating effect, or you can do it on the surface of a cladding.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Absolutely sick of it.
Darn sure that all leftists will be purged from the party before getting chance to vote on NEC or stand for anything.

Oh, Red Ed. Still so naive.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

fake plastic chimneys on the roofs.

Not my favourite Radiohead song

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Condolences Beefeater.

Apparently Hawaiian shirts are now the uniform of the US alt right boogaloo movement

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Guavanaut posted:

I had no idea this was a thing and I can imagine it's like the 90s UPVC mock Tudor levels of offputting/lol.

womp womp

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's a feature, how many houses do you know where the chimney has elevation options?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

English doesn't exactly help itself avoid these issues, because it's super common for precise word/phrase meanings to vary between different dialects (and sociolects) to sometimes quite extreme degrees, and even then this can change based on circumstances.
I think a big part of the problem is that there are words that can turn from casual to really bad in a short amount of time. 'Spastic cerebral palsy' is still the correct name of a condition, but the first word became a slur in the UK quite rapidly in part because of Blue Peter, so clinicians avoid the first word now. Pakistan's cricket team had a nickname in the 90s that has fallen out of favour because it's the same word that British racists kept screaming at all South Asian people. Coloured is still the legit name of a socioethnic group in South Africa, and they've been through enough poo poo to call themselves whatever they want, but you'd get looks if you said it here.

But we don't want to be the bad person that says the bad words, so we go through language looking for words that might turn out to be the next bad word, and trying to police it before it becomes so. And in some cases there's legitimacy there, like "oh hey all these people waving white power flags are using this word in a charged way so maybe we should evaluate that" but in other cases it just becomes mass overthinking of things that can't be overthought.

Breath Ray posted:

Apparently Hawaiian shirts are now the uniform of the US alt right boogaloo movement
That's a similar case. Wearing a flowery shirt along with militia patches and an AR15? Probably signalling something. Wearing a flowery shirt alone? Probably not.

:hotpickle:

OwlFancier posted:

That's a feature, how many houses do you know where the chimney has elevation options?
Well now I want a PTZ chimney.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

The issue there is that 'looking after' does imply a certain incapacity on the part of person you're saying it to. I'm sure you didn't mean it to suggest that but, disabled or not, anyone could haven taken it as patronising.* My concern would be more if that person had responded as negatively to you offering them 'a hand' without thinking, because that's just using a common idiom meant helpfully in 99% of cases.

Perhaps I should have said this was 20 years ago!

quote:

I kind of agree with this (though I'm not a big fan of spoon theory tbh). It feels implicitly patronising in itself to suggest that a disabled person must lack the ability to interpret the intent behind a common 'ableist' phrase that is so much an ingrained part of language as to be almost completely divorced from the disability it alludes to, and must instead be protected from words that might cause An Offence. There are exceptions to this like 'retarded' though I'd argue that part of the reason for this has been the influence of the widespread use of it amongst right-aligned culture war 4chan types investing it with deeper significance.

I'm just trying to imagine getting furious and indignant at some granny telling her grandkid she's 'sweet enough to eat' or some equivalent granny phrase in front of me, a diabetic who cannot process sugar, and honestly the idea is laughable and its kinda offensive that anyone would take it upon themselves to go on such a crusade on my behalf.

When I lived in Walthamstow, the local council had this obsession with things like not saying 'Christmas' in case it offended non-christians (meanwhile we had council run Eid & Diwali celebrations) - I remember talking about it with the muslim shopkeeper of a local store who was selling christmas cards, tinsel and so forth. As he said 'No one is offended by Christmas, it just makes people annoyed with us and it's not even us, it's people supposedly on our behalf'.

quote:

*English doesn't exactly help itself avoid these issues, because it's super common for precise word/phrase meanings to vary between different dialects (and sociolects) to sometimes quite extreme degrees, and even then this can change based on circumstances. For example I remember discussing some awful event, a mass shooting I think, with a German, and I said something like 'it's not exactly ideal' and had to very quickly explain that I was using understatement and I wasn't actually mostly indifferent! I find even some native English speakers tend to be more direct and literal too - Americans in particular, though there are of course fault lines amongst that group too. And I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone that calling someone a 'oval office' is going to get you a wildly different response in Glasgow than it is in most other parts of the UK.). I imagine this must be an issue in most languages really.

I have numerous American friends on FB and many of them are so very literal (one or two of my Brit friends and relations are too but far fewer) so I try to remember to put 'joking' or 'sarcasm' at the end of a post and I don't use /s because as a non-frequenter of reddit I would not have known that meant 'sarcasm' if it wasn't for someone mentioning it in this thread a few weeks ago! It's quite refreshing to have a few American friends who totally get it (mostly ones who have lived outside the US for a while!)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Painting my chimney in skyline camo to make it look shorter so the germans don't target my house.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This, like a lot of adam ramsay's stuff is a good article. Open democracy are publishing some really good stuff currently too

https://twitter.com/labourlewis/status/1275340345610571777?s=20

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I noticed what the massive difference was in my surroundings driving from Germany back into NL - the Germans (near here) tend to "ice" their houses in various fun colours, whereas the Dutch are all about bricks bricks bricks, real or fake. And I like it. Bricks feel more housey to me, and they tend to age better than the block colours. There are some big residential tower blocks going up near me, with brick facades, and I prefer that to the "hide the ugly" Grenfell-style cladding, or massive glass buildings.

This may just be a reaction to having grown up in block coloured land and finding bricks more exotic and fun.

The fake chimneys are just silly though, hadn't heard of them before.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

meanwhile we had council run Eid & Diwali celebrations
Every Diwali the whole of Melton Road gets covered with swastikas.

Absent any context that sounds terrible, but they're actually cool and made out of flowers and I don't feel the same unwelcome feelings I would if I saw a bunch of swastikas on e.g. that one market stall with the militaria guy.