Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have some faith in the fact that far right ideology is inherently exclusionary, I don't think they have the ability to mass appeal to anyone other than white cishet dudes, who, inshallah, will become a smaller minority over time.

They can tolerate "good ones" but they can't actually systemically support and build relationships with other sorts of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

XMNN posted:

tbf to Donald trump he has done at least some good for the world by providing us a non-ableist alternative to various slurs in the form of "presidential"

also I only found out that the trilateral commission is actually real and not an illuminati style conspiracy theory because someone mentioned Keir starmer was on it, lol

the trilateral thing + his war chest of mysterious funding is real crack ping stuff

but like all conspiracies only surface appearance really matters, whether he was grown in a deep state vat or got this way all by himself doesn't really change much

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Noxville posted:

I haven’t read far enough into the replies to get there, how can ‘read the room’ be considered ableist?
"Read the room" is one of those phrases autistic people get to hear a lot while spending much of their life completely unable to do it because it's about non-verbal cues

It is completely unsurprising to me that there's so much pushback in this thread against making even minor personal changes to avoid hurting other people

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

sounds like you need to "understand the social context"

this is fine because I'm not using the explicitly forbidden words, which is more important than the actual sentiment behind them

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

keep punching joe posted:

I was jesting about MI5 but after googling it :tinfoil:

I just googled starmer MI5 and ummmm

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mi5-agent-accused-over-the-torture-263306

MI5 agent accused over the torture of a terror suspect Binyam Mohamed will not face court posted:

An MI5 agent accused over the torture of a terror suspect will not face court, it was announced yesterday.

An MI5 agent accused over the torture of a terror suspect will not face court, it was announced yesterday.

The spy was alleged to have been aware of Binyam Mohamed's ill treatment while the Muslim was being held in Pakistan in 2002.

But Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer ruled there was insufficient evidence to prosecute the Security Service officer.

MI5 chief Jonathan Evans said he was "delighted" by the decision. It came after Mr Mohamed and 15 other ex-Guantanamo Bay detainees were paid around £10million in total in return for dropping compensation cases over UK agent torture claims.

He was interrogated by the CIA in Pakistan and subjected to threats, sleep deprivation and shackling which the Appeal Court here later called "cruel and inhuman".

The Ethiopian - who lived in west London - says that during an interview the MI5 officer, using the name John, told him he could be taken somewhere else to be tortured by "the Arabs".

But the spy, known as Witness B, told the High Court he only said he could help him if he told the truth. The CIA later flew Mr Mohamed to Morocco, where he is said to have been tortured with cuts to his genitals, before transferring him to Guantanamo.

The US later dropped all charges against him and he was returned to Britain.

Binyam Mohamed

1994 The Muslim convert moves from Ethiopia to west London seeking asylum

2002 Arrested in Pakistan where he claims he was tortured into falsely confessing to terrorism

2004 Flown to Afghanistan and then Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in October

2008 The US government drops charges against him

2009 He is released and returned to Britain

disgusted I gave this man even the slightest benefit of the doubt to be honest

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I have some faith in the fact that far right ideology is inherently exclusionary, I don't think they have the ability to mass appeal to anyone other than white cishet dudes, who, inshallah, will become a smaller minority over time.

They can tolerate "good ones" but they can't actually systemically support and build relationships with other sorts of people.
Yeah but they can provide a shelter for butthurt white cishet dudes, and that's worrying. Everyone else can see what a trashpile nazi twitter is and avoid it, but it would be a worry if they organized like Black twitter did.

There's less chance, because it's a community of people who've never had to organize before, so you get a group project where everyone is the guy that doesn't want to do the work, but still
a) gently caress them anyway
b) going from a handful of consensus manufacturing news sources to a huge number of organic community news sources is great for marginalized voices but also might drive the alienation and cultural immiseration that produces said butthurt white guys with ~legitimate concerns~

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They can, but I think that's the thing, they provide shelter but struggle to motivate en masse, they have no positive vision of the world, even their goals are not... really optimistic as far as I can tell? Like their literature is loving dour even by their own standards, it's all loving suicidal ideation. They just don't have the vitality of liberation focused movements.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Threep posted:

"Read the room" is one of those phrases autistic people get to hear a lot while spending much of their life completely unable to do it because it's about non-verbal cues

I'm glad you wrote that because it hadn't occurred to me when I was wiffling on about it meaning 'vibes' and I really should know better than that for reasons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

https://thegrayzone.com/2020/06/05/...lishment-links/

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Grayzone is trash https://medium.com/muros-invisibles...fbe335f1cf47b6c

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i knew someone was going to say that but just read it. its basic stuff and the meeting with the former head of MI5 isn't exactly secret

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Miftan posted:

No, I agree. I meant that they're a pressure group atm, they can't get anything through parliament, but they also need to get elected, so they probably think they need to choose what they pressure on. Which means, to me, they've decided trans issues aren't important enough to pressure on. I completely agree they should be taking a hard stance on this, and the fact that they're not speaks to their priorities.

Jose posted:

*ronya comes crashing into the thread to post about corbyn's labour suggesting 10k more cops*

Feels like 'more police' and 'free summer meals' have decent traction with the public. A 'hard stance' on trans issues just feels like fiddling while Rome burns, especially if a) it's true that countries with better trans rights developed those through the back door, bundled with other stuff and b) it's not a vote winner by itself and even trans activists don't consider it a single issue.

The antisemitism thing was just a handy way to dismiss RLB and distance him from a leader seen as weak and untrustworthy. Don't think the average voter minds about a/s too much one way or the other.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

A 'hard stance' on trans issues just feels like fiddling while Rome burns

Standing up for minority groups "Fiddling while rome burns"

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jose posted:

i knew someone was going to say that but just read it and believe it anyway because it says what I already believe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Stormgale posted:

I was going to say something about Starmer supporting and holding Nero to account while Rome burns, but he's never held wealthy fiddlers to account either.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The tories have decent traction with the public so obviously we should just do what they do.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

I was going to say something about Starmer supporting and holding Nero to account while Rome burns, but he's never held wealthy fiddlers to account either.

XMNN posted:

I just googled starmer MI5 and ummmm

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mi5-agent-accused-over-the-torture-263306

disgusted I gave this man even the slightest benefit of the doubt to be honest

so you don't think the fact starmer as DPP having meetings with the former MI5 chief that he's never elaborated on is suspicious?

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Threep posted:

It is completely unsurprising to me that there's so much pushback in this thread against making even minor personal changes to avoid hurting other people

That kind of social phenomenon, blithely telling people to just do something that they can’t easily do, or being casually hurtful through ignorance or indifference, won’t really be solved by policing idioms - that feels like treating symptoms rather than causes, to me. It’s more important to educate people about the experiences of others and encourage them to think before they speak as a habit. Just listing the bad words on twitter comes off as a little bit facile if I’m honest, though I get the intent behind it. I’ve got a Thom Yorked eye that just stares longsightedly into the void and can’t say I’ve ever been hurt by ‘turn a blind eye’, ‘one-eyed bias’ or ‘lacking depth’ though I have been annoyed by people being rude intrusive cunts about it sometimes. There is no point in me trying to stop people saying ‘the eyes are the window to the soul’ or whatever, it’s not like it will change anything at a deep level and is likely to just irritate them. I’d rather they learned something more useful and spent a bit of energy thinking about how other people see things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have generally found that people who care about the words you use are quite willing to explain why they think it's important if you don't respond immediately by telling them they're stupid and wrong for bringing it up.

Sketh
Jun 7, 2008

Jesus Christ, like I can understand him not going full ACAB and instead talking about addressing the root societal causes rather than pouring money into enforcement but no mention of that and just "Nah that's nonsense gently caress yeah love the police". If it was just that I'd still even kind of get what he's going for but calling BLM a moment rather than a movement, and that it was all just about George Floyd's murder rather than deeper systemic issues? Just straight up fodder for racists from the Labour leader, finally some real opposition :fuckoff:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stormgale posted:

When the Tory plan for 2020 is to speedrun both the economic effects and the body count of World War 2 and there is no opposition to any of it, it hardly seems worth mentioning that transfolk have other problems as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The labour black vote collapsing would be the least he deserves. Just wish there were an alternative place for people he's clearly dead set on marginalizing to get representation.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Gonzo McFee posted:

You know what's really depressing me. We could get a leak from MI5 showing that they actively sabotaged Labour for ten years and pushed Starmer to become Labour leader and the most attention it would garner would be on twitter. The press would ignore it and move on. We've completely abdicated any power or position in mainstream electoral politics and we're just cut out entirely beyond occasional jabs about twitter.

I'm just so loving done with British politics and Labour in general.

"MI5 is the leadership the Labour Party desperately needs if it's to regain voters' trust" - my opinion piece today in the Guardian.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yeah it's my fan theory too and started as a joke

I think at the bare minimum if mi5 weren't pushing him they were neglecting the one bit of their job they actually do

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Can’t really grasp Starmer’s plan even from a ‘red team win election’ standpoint atm. The tactic of keeping your head down and waiting for the opposition to gently caress it doesn’t work when the media is backing them - 60K dead and opinion has barely shifted. I don’t expect him to call for abolishing the police, that would be suicide by press, but there’s so much room to stand out well and show opposition without going there.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sketh posted:

Jesus Christ, like I can understand him not going full ACAB and instead talking about addressing the root societal causes rather than pouring money into enforcement but no mention of that and just "Nah that's nonsense gently caress yeah love the police". If it was just that I'd still even kind of get what he's going for but calling BLM a moment rather than a movement, and that it was all just about George Floyd's murder rather than deeper systemic issues? Just straight up fodder for racists from the Labour leader, finally some real opposition :fuckoff:
Look he's a very successful lawyer you can't expect him to read a criminology paper to deduce the liberal and radical undercurrents of the slogan and what it means in practice.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Stormgale posted:

Breath Ray hasn't been about much of late but indisputably a trash person

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3799942&pagenumber=99&perpage=40#post467777507
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3781713&pagenumber=153&perpage=40#post461978047

(talking of that last one, holy loving poo poo, talk about a take that aged dreadfully, Theresa May is going to be our best PM ever!)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Hey y'all, since we've been in a pensive mood as the forums might explode for the last week (or whatever? Wait, 3 days? 4?) anyway, I thought I'd say thank you to the thread for one more thing.

You folks have helped me understand that I'm non-binary, in particular, currently IDing as non-binary man, pronouns he or they.

WHich I've just opened up about on FB, this is the other place I really want to share that info.

There is a lot more if anyone is interested, but that's the crunch of it.

Thanks thread.

(You don't get a photo to try and push the post up peoples' feeds, the algorithm doesn't care about us here)

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The people hanker for the 2012 olympics when britane was great and perfect - therefore I big brained Sir Haircut, will make my party the apex of all politics: David Cameron's tories.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Shogi posted:

Can’t really grasp Starmer’s plan even from a ‘red team win election’ standpoint atm. The tactic of keeping your head down and waiting for the opposition to gently caress it doesn’t work when the media is backing them - 60K dead and opinion has barely shifted. I don’t expect him to call for abolishing the police, that would be suicide by press, but there’s so much room to stand out well and show opposition without going there.

it's politics by focus group - on policing there is solid support for more police rather than less; this hasn't changed in the past few years and it doesn't look to be shifting now. The US phenomenon of excess police funding is a US phenomenon, not a UK phenomenon. Same reason Corbyn hopped on that boat to begin with. It's not like it was a comfortable position to adopt.

on coronavirus lockdowns there is support for more caution in general but also support for dismantling measures in the specific - hence Johnson serially trying to bait Labour into opposing specific easing measure whilst Starmer tries to hit Johnson on caution in the general. "60k dead" is an attack that only makes sense to an already anti-Tory frame, just as the ### DEAD FROM AUSTERITY only made sense in that frame. Resentment of particular measures really sticks. I don't think Starmer has to hit Johnson all that hard for the idea of Johnson as careless with lives to stick - it's a natural fit to the image Johnson sets out for himself - whilst he does have to avoid getting tarred with having pushed too hard for particular lockdown measures

fwiw I think Corbyn would have taken every BLM bait and then some; it's catnip to his politics and it falls into the group of topics where he's willing to endlessly burn political capital to fight for a certain message (see also: Skripal). In an alternate universe not too different from ours every headline is screaming about Labour's self-evident untrustworthiness when the Labour Leader swore hand on heart last year that he will, will Reverse These Tory Cuts, he will Put Bobbies On The Street To Halt Knife Crime And Keep You Safe, yes he and Home Secretary Abbott love the coppers now, will the Prime Minister apologise to the police (and because this hypothetical universe isn't that different from ours, none of the headlines particularly care about whether Johnson is adhering to his promises for Even Bigger Numbers. That's not a story, and it's especially not a story because Johnson will act to make it tedious to cover whilst Corbyn would do the opposite, precisely because Corbyn would want to go to bat for this particular message).

whether or not that sacrifice for those values would be worth it, well, that's ultimately a political judgment innit. Every political leader has some set of values they're willing to sacrifice political capital for; the trick is assuring enough one of one's tent that it's their values that are most prized (and, conversely, for those that prioritize those values, making sure that it really is - whilst still winning power, of course)

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 29, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Hey y'all, since we've been in a pensive mood as the forums might explode for the last week (or whatever? Wait, 3 days? 4?) anyway, I thought I'd say thank you to the thread for one more thing.

You folks have helped me understand that I'm non-binary, in particular, currently IDing as non-binary man, pronouns he or they.

WHich I've just opened up about on FB, this is the other place I really want to share that info.

There is a lot more if anyone is interested, but that's the crunch of it.

Thanks thread.

(You don't get a photo to try and push the post up peoples' feeds, the algorithm doesn't care about us here)

I want to say congratulations but that always seems a bit odd given how hard it can be to be any sort of nonconforming in the gender/sexuality department, but I hope it helps you feel better in yourself in future and it means a lot that you wanted to share it here.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1277598191718928384

Just demanding people be put to the meat thresher. Fully expect Starmer to support it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The problem with focus groups is that they're dumb as gently caress.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

I want to say congratulations but that always seems a bit odd given how hard it can be to be any sort of nonconforming in the gender/sexuality department, but I hope it helps you feel better in yourself in future and it means a lot that you wanted to share it here.

Congratulations are probably appropriate, albeit yeah, I chose a hell of a time.

(The hell of a time is part of why I chose it actually, I felt it's time to stand up and be counted)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then you've a lot more guts than me, I'm not even out as bi to most of the people I know.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

Just demanding people be put to the meat thresher. Fully expect Starmer to support it.

WHAT loving JOB ARE YOU MEANT TO BE APPLYING FOR YOU GODDAMN SOCIOPATHS?

If they could just come out and euthanise people for being unemployed that'd be more honest and tbh more humane than this loving policy

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Well I sure hope that the bus services people rely on to get to the job centre for interviews etc are back up and running then. They aren't round here!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Gonzo McFee posted:

The problem with focus groups is that they're dumb as gently caress.

Yes, they are. Painfully so. They're hideously expensive whilst not really closing the gap between what voters say they want and what they actually reward with votes. All they can offer is some clarification on competing dominant readings of the polling, which can be sampled much more often*

There's also something to be said for Overton windows and the moving thereof

Happily of course (?) backbenchers, activists, allied NGOs, &c can volunteer for the fun test-balloon ride instead

* my pet theory is that this is why the quality of focus-group-tested messaging seems to get worse as groupthink increases (see e.g. late New Labour). the groups can't actually test messages, they're just there to judge a competition between factions on some metric other than management committee judo. But it's actually the competition that is driving effort, not the effectiveness of focus group consultation

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I mean god drat how difficult would it be to say "Black Lives Matter is a movement that comes out of opposition to structural racism and extreme violence within certain police forces in the United States. Britain is different, our police began in Peelian Principles, not as armed fugitive slave patrols, and I think we can be proud of that here, while investing in our local communities." or some poo poo.

That's not 100% true and it'd have a bunch of people in Brixton and Derry calling bullshit (and weasels out of facing Britain's structural racism), but at least it says something TV friendly that's not "I have no clue what BLM is about and love every perfect cop." Half of #DefundThePolice (admittedly the more liberal half, but I'm not expecting any party leader go full abolition on air) is having police without military superweapons, police that aren't routinely armed, and community officers who come from the community, engage with the community, and genuinely want to solve problems with the community. If he couldn't find something to praise about British policing by contrast with US policing within that then either he hasn't done the slightest bit of research into BLM/DTP or he wants police more like the US, and either of those is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Breath Ray hasn't been about much of late but indisputably a trash person

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3799942&pagenumber=99&perpage=40#post467777507
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3781713&pagenumber=153&perpage=40#post461978047

(talking of that last one, holy loving poo poo, talk about a take that aged dreadfully, Theresa May is going to be our best PM ever!)

I figured, I just figured someone had to Call them on it.