Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jedit posted:

Was that not a different thing? The article I linked was only three days old and I didn't remember seeing it.

The writer of the article says it was the owners, so unless CAH has changed hands...

One of the owners was kicked out of the company last week, he's Tenkin the owner mentioned in the article. This article describes why This one may have been posted earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jedit posted:

Was that not a different thing? The article I linked was only three days old and I didn't remember seeing it.

Yeah my post quoted their tweet thread talking about the incident:

quote:

quote:

I was told if I continued dating a person Max’s friend had a crush on, I’d be fired

quote:

I guess I should mention the time the owners tried to put the N-word into the game and how Max Tempkin tried to have me fired when I complained. I only found that out in a fact-finding meeting the state of Illinois held. They settled, of course.

quote:

I was a writer in their room for a few years, but I started raising a ruckus about the unethical, racist way the predominantly white, upper-middle class room was approaching writing the game. The head writers Julia Weiss and Jo Feldman convinced my parents I was having a mental break and had me committed for five days, during which time they called other writers and told them not to talk to the hospital so that I would stay there longer.

I can’t find the thread now but it had a lot of details. I’m glad the medium article is blowing up more though, gently caress Max.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 28, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here’s some of it

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Agent Rush posted:

Thanks for the link, have you seen any of their vids yet?
They're enthusiastic, feel-good, may point out a few obscure games along with popular titles. For now they don't really go into rules or show gameplay for the camera. It's all about the mood.
I think, their son (15) is the video editor.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is anyone really surprised that the people who created "find out which of your friends are racist" aren't stellar human beings?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PMush Perfect posted:

Is anyone really surprised that the people who created "find out which of your friends are racist" aren't stellar human beings?

I'm not shocked, no. But they could just have been painfully unfunny edgelords, and I'd prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt until proof is obtained.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Temkin isn't part of the management team anymore but retains 1/8 ownership of the company

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The End posted:

Temkin isn't part of the management team anymore but retains 1/8 ownership of the company

Yeah I doubt they can do anything about that unless he would sell.

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016
This is probably the worst place to ask, but are any of the CaH copycats better at being CaH? Ideally keeping the absurdity and pop culture references without the ironic offensiveness (actually real offensiveness).

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

The Metagame is my replacement of choice. The card selections are good, some of the prompt cards have fill-in-the-blanks, which adds replayability, and the CAH/A2A rules are just one of several rulesets included.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gaebril posted:

This is probably the worst place to ask, but are any of the CaH copycats better at being CaH? Ideally keeping the absurdity and pop culture references without the ironic offensiveness (actually real offensiveness).

Not exactly pop culture references, but apples to apples style play:

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1277259250813698049

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I haven't seen any punching down in 'What do you meme', but it's been ages.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Gaebril posted:

There's always Apples to Apples, which came first.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

There's always Apples to Apples, which came first.

Yeah CAH is literally just "what if Apples to Apples but ironically offensive" and for some reason it bothers me a little that everyone doesn't know this.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yeah CAH is literally just "what if Apples to Apples but ironically offensive" and for some reason it bothers me a little that everyone doesn't know this.

CAH is Apples to Apples for people without imagination, because Apples to Apples can be incredibly offensive but you have to do a little of the leg work yourself. But then I guess that doesn't absolve you from being ironically sexist,homophobic or racist.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Played my first game of Bios: Megafauna last night.

It was fun! The turns go very quickly since depending on the oxygen level of the planet you will most likely be getting between two and three actions a round and since there is so much you'd like to do, this leaves you constantly wanting to do more.

That said, it also feels like the game is playing you at times, as one of my friends/opponents said, because you have so little to do on your turn that when it comes to the event phase, it's like you spend the same amount of time blowing up the earth. Being the Medea supervillain was pretty great because it let me screw other people and since turns were so important no one wanted to burn a round to take it from me.

Herbivores seem the best way to go forward unless you've got some apex predator(s) with tools necessary to either hunt everything or prevent someone from edging into your ecosystem.

Like all those games though, it is so incredible front-loaded that the teaching took an hour and a half when the game is actually quite simple. Looks great too!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aramoro posted:

CAH is Apples to Apples for people without imagination, because Apples to Apples can be incredibly offensive but you have to do a little of the leg work yourself. But then I guess that doesn't absolve you from being ironically sexist,homophobic or racist.

Yeah. The first time I played Apples to Apples, years before CAH existed, was with a bunch of edgelord college kids in the mid 00s and it pretty much instantly became CAH, so I was confused when someone told me about CAH as "It's apples to apples but more whatever"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Gaebril posted:

Superfight. Especially with the expansion deck that makes it various competitions instead of just fights. You get to create the humor using the cards instead of relying on the prewritten jokes like other games.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

im totally buying that cards against equinity game for my girlfriend

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

jesus WEP posted:

im totally buying that cards against equinity game for my girlfriend

It's ok. You can admit you want it for yourself. It's safe here.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just read the Nicholas Carter article and it's pretty loving disgusting. The only thing I'd clarify is that it was his father that had him committed to a psychiatric ward, but it def was Andy Kushnir overstepping his bounds and contacting Nicholas sister that set the wheels in motion. Everything after that is just lovely lovely lovely.

Always used to view the CAH crew as 'The Woke' writers room collective that were just taking the piss with some black comedy style send-ups of taboo topics; maybe it's an Aussie cultural thing that my group never had any issues with it? Even the handful of my super liberal charitable friends were always fine with it. I don't loving know.. Why can't people just not be fuckwits? gently caress sake.

Probably going to see if I can sell my collection. Might put it towards a Twilight Imperium pickup piggy bank or something :shrug:

Gaebril posted:

I believe Snake Oil is also a popular thread recommendation whenever the Alt-to-CAH comment comes up. More improv than card selection. Draw 2 cards. Sell me on why Person X needs Product Y.

On the topic of BAD CAH Clones I was at a dinner party one evening and Cards Against Disney was brought out, and lemme tell you that game had a super creepy level of fixation on the comings and goings of Elsa from Frozens vagina.
It was weird to go from "Whats the next song Alan Menken is gonna write?" type questions to "What sorta dildo does Elsa shove into her frosty sparkly pussy?" every 5 odd goddamn cards.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Also today is the last 24 hours on the 1822 kickstarter that AAG is running. It's going to get the same quality treatment that 18Ches got.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

If you want a game like CAH then what you want is The Big Idea, comes in a small box and it's just a lot of fun in general I think. It's not quite the same formula but same idea.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

If you want a party game that actually tests your improv skill get Funemployed

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Infinitum posted:

I believe Snake Oil is also a popular thread recommendation whenever the Alt-to-CAH comment comes up. More improv than card selection. Draw 2 cards. Sell me on why Person X needs Product Y.

I concur with this.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm surprised nobody has suggested Say Anything as the best CAH alternative.

It's an Apples to Apples style game, except instead of pre-written response cards, each player gets a little whiteboard to write their answer on.

So you get to be creative and funny, instead of the game's writers doing it for you. And you can still be as inappropriate or "edgy" as your group is comfortable with, if that's your thing.

Also, if you already own Apples to Apples or a similar game, you can effectively play Say Anything by giving each player a little notepad.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I've enjoyed Trial by Trolly, because you get to build little narratives about what's going on on the various trolley tracks, and then a bunch of people get run over by a train, which gives you that naughty fun without actually being racist trash.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's not quite the same "pick a card to fill in the judge's blank" CAH mechanic, but Billionaire Banshee and Wavelength are my funny party game choices

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Personally when people want to play CAH I break out Gloomhaven

If they want something a little lighter Food Chain Magnate also suffices

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Max posted:

Also today is the last 24 hours on the 1822 kickstarter that AAG is running. It's going to get the same quality treatment that 18Ches got.

The guys on Game Brain paid for a copy of this for me!!!! 1822 is my favorite 18xx and I just didn't have the budget for the KS. Can't wait to get it!

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

I've enjoyed Trial by Trolly, because you get to build little narratives about what's going on on the various trolley tracks, and then a bunch of people get run over by a train, which gives you that naughty fun without actually being racist trash.

I like the boomer variant https://youtu.be/DFMS9AVE2Fw

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

You must be talking about physical weight cause FCM is way more complex than Gloomhaven

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

ketchup vs catsup posted:

You must be talking about physical weight cause FCM is way more complex than Gloomhaven

It depends on how you define complexity. The Gloomhaven ruleset is more complex than the FCM ruleset. However, it's easier to play GH well vs playing FCM well, especially with experienced players for both games.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

CAH is done better by countless Jackbox Party Packs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

So you get to be creative and funny, instead of the game's writers doing it for you. And you can still be as inappropriate or "edgy" as your group is comfortable with, if that's your thing.

Only problem is some people are just naturally terrible at impromptu humour.

Like flashing a spotlight on them for GIEV JOKE causes them to shut down bad.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Infinitum posted:

Hey that's me and I loving hated funemployment!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Infinitum posted:

True, but you can also just play it like Apples to Apples was originally intended, and write down the "best" answer, rather than trying to be funny.

My group is chill, no pressure to be clever or funny (though we often are).

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Shadow225 posted:

Yeah I've had good success with some 18xx games instead of sorry or monopoly when the family gets together. With monopoly they barely notice a difference.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

(I'm pretty sure :thejoke:)

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Finally got ahold of the new Root: The Underworld expansion, as well as the exiles and partisans deck and the clockwork expansion. The Underworld expansion really is fantastic- virtually every aspect of it feels thoughtful and well integrated into the original game. I hadn't expected it to be better than Riverfolk, but I daresay it is. Having two extra maps certainly doesn't help, and they both happen to be terrific. The exiles and partisans deck is also really interesting and adds some fun new options to the game. I've noticed that friends who played the base game casually and thought of the deck (or at least the crafting cards) as sort of an afterthought are much more clued in to the new cards, which is a great sign.

My only qualm: do the Moles seem slightly OP? The fact that you can sway a minister by revealing cards corresponding to where you have pieces, as opposed to structures, seems a bit much. It's really easy to get a crazy action economy going for them, almost equivalent to the Eyrie, except unlike the Eyrie, the Moles' equivalent of turmoil isn't nearly as disruptive.

It's also been really nice to have the clockwork expansion so that my spouse and I can finally play at home. Until now it's felt impossible unless we have a friend or two over, which hasn't been all that common as of late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Moles are similar to Eyrie; extremely fragile and easy to knock down if they surge. They can’t just turtle because they need to expand but expansion makes them more vulnerable.