Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moldless Bread
Jul 10, 2019
Things seem to have calmed down somewhat, but I still want to show some appreciation for this thread:

Thank you all for all those entries about all those games. Almost everything I learned about the hobby outside of the big systems I know from here, and all those viewpoints from the smaller games and the discussions about what works and what doesn't legit made me a better GM.
(Not to mention my group plays a homebrew system right know that wouldn't be the same without all the insight of this thread.)

You all rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
ESOTERIC ENTERPRISES PART 3: BASE RULES

I assure you, they’re quite base.

This section starts by explaining some of the stuff that just landed on your character sheet in the last chapter.

First, your ability scores.

Esoteric Enterprises, Page 34 posted:

You have six attributes; strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom, and charisma. Each attribute starts with a rating between 3 and 18, with 3 being barely functional (3 dexterity is hardly able to move), and 18 being the peak of mortal capability. Attributes may fall below this value, or rise higher, based on events in play.

Each attribute has an associated modifier that goes with it, depending on its value (listed in Table 1). An attributes modifier is used when you need to take into account roughly how good that attribute is, without needing its precise value (just whether it’s much better or worse than normal).

Strength is for being muscular, buff, herculean, and mighty. You apply your strength modifier to all rolls to hit in melee combat; all damage rolls in melee combat; and all athletics and vandalism skill rolls.

Dexterity is for being nippy, stealthy, coordinated and precise. You apply your dexterity modifier to your Armour Class; to rolls to hit with ranged weapons; to your saving throws against hazards; and to all stealth and driving skill rolls.

Constitution is for being tough and resilient. You apply your constitution modifier to your initial Flesh and Grit points; to the number of Grit points you gain each level until level 9; and to your saves against Stunning and Poison.

Intelligence is for smarts, knowledge and logic. You apply your intelligence modifier to medicine, technology and translation skill rolls, and to your Saves against Machines.

Wisdom is for awareness and intuition. You apply your wisdom modifier to forensics and perception skill rolls; and to saves against magic

Charisma is for being sexy, strong willed and charming. You apply your charisma modifier to charm and contacts skill rolls; and to the reaction rolls for potentially hostile NPCs.
This is great stuff, but shouldn’t it have been in the character creation section? Close enough, I guess.

FLESH AND GRIT
You know how people debate whether HP in RPGs is “meat points” vs “not getting hit points”? Flesh is meat points and Grit is not getting hit points. Most damage targets your Grit first. When you run out of Grit, the damage rolls over to Flesh. When you run out of that, you start taking Horrible Wounds. Grit recovers quickly, as long as you have a single point of it you can get the whole pile back with just a ten minute rest. Flesh is slower to heal. You can recover it with magical healing or medical care from a doctor, but absent that it returns at a rate between one and three per day, depending on the conditions you find yourself in.

Remember when I said the game made some positive changes from Lamentations? This is one of them. Good mechanic.

TIME
Going to let the game take point on this one, because this is important distinction.

Esoteric Enterprises, Page 34 posted:

During combat, time is measured in combat rounds, each lasting six seconds. During exploration over the course of the day, time is measured in exploration turns, each ten minutes long.
In combat, taking a single action (attacking, casting a spell, and so on) uses up the entire round. It is assumed that the round represents a full six seconds of activity, and the attack roll (or whatever is done) represents the outcome of that. You can still talk as well as acting in a combat round, but don’t have time to say that much.
Similarly, outside of combat during exploration most tasks will take a turn. Things which might take up a full ten-minute turn include; searching an area, healing Flesh points using medicine, repairing equipment, picking a lock, accessing computer files, taking a trap apart, building gear from improvised parts and so on. A turn gives you a ‘slot’ to do one thing in that will keep you busy. You can still divert your attention somewhat - being able to talk and maybe move as you work - but you can’t multitask.
Rounds vs Turns. Important distinction. This is something a lot of grog D&D games have, an exploration turn or dungeon turn that breaks up the game into discrete chunks of dungeoneering activity. There’s a lot of debate about how long such a turn should REALLY be, based on some arguments about how people interpreted the action economy in the ultra old school D&D books. Ten minutes a turn is realistically a bit over the top for most dungeon activities, but it’s become the de facto standard for this genre of game.

Rounds vs turns. Remember it!

DOING THINGS
Where the game explains its core mechanics. We start with an admonition to not use dice rolls for anything and everything, reserving them only for cases where the result is both uncertain and interesting. Wherever possible, let the players get away with things by coming up with clever plans and describing their actions in a way that makes sense given the situation, rather than having to roll every time.

I broadly agree with these instructions. Keep them in mind when you see how the game uses its own systems later.

Now on to the mechanics themselves.

SKILLS
Skills are rolled on a D6 versus a static target number equal to the skill value of the character attempting them. If you’ve got a 2 in 6 in Athletics, you succeed if you roll a 1 or 2. If you’ve got a 0 in 6 in a skill, you roll 2D6 and have to get 1 on both. If you’ve got a 6 in 6 in a skill, you roll 2D6 and can only fail if you roll 6 on both.

This means that the average character will have a truly miserable chance to do anything that requires a skill roll. That’s fine if the rules let you find alternate solutions, right? Right....

Anyway, you’ve got these skills here:
  • Athletics is used for moving around the world while under duress, such as climbing, jumping, swimming, and running away from danger. Remember that last one.
  • Charm is your persuade skill. You use it to make people do what you want, and get a bonus on your reaction rolls in random encounters.
  • Contacts is who you know. You use it to get information, find work, and locate items you want to purchase.
  • Driving is the ability to drive a motor vehicle. I think I saw a player character roll drive once in twenty sessions. But they wished they’d had points in it!
  • Forensics is the survival or tracking or whatever skill from Lamentations, reskinned for the modern era. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a character use it.
  • Medicine is the ability to stop people from bleeding to death. It’s important, and you should have a doctor on your team. Because if you roll it and fail, you make the problem worse.
  • Perception is an interesting one. The game admonishes you not to use it for just giving players basic descriptions of the world around them, which should be given out for free. You use it for stuff like avoiding ambushes and noticing traps. It’s used when checking for surprise in random encounters.
  • Stealth is a skill you use to avoid detection and set up sneak attacks.
  • Technology is chiefly used for hacking/subverting computer systems, but generally covers any machine with moving parts.
  • Translation is what you use to understand languages, but also to identify magic spells and move them from one spellbook to another.
  • Vandalism is what you use to break things, like doors.
The average character has a 1 in 6 chance to do all this stuff. That’s fine if you can find creative ways to get around rolling. It’s less fine when you have to interact with a subsystem that explicitly requires a skill roll. And you’re going to have to interact with a subsystem that explicitly requires a skill roll sooner or later. The game is going to tell you explicitly to roll your 1 in 6 chance of Athletics for a wide variety of dungeon navigating, monster escaping tasks. It’s not going to make the players come up with a clever solution to avoid rolling their 1 in 6 chance, it’s going to make them cowardly and uninteresting. I’ve seen it happen. Too many games confuse making the player characters fragile with making them weak. You don’t need to make the characters pathetic and fail everything in order to make the game dangerous and high stakes.

The book doesn’t instruct you on whether characters are all supposed to be making their own skill rolls, or whether you’re supposed to take the highest, lowest, etc. There are cases where it’s obvious, like Drive is the person driving the car. Does everyone in a room get a Perception test to notice something? Does everyone need to roll Stealth to hide? There are examples that get addressed later on a case-by-case basis, but no general rule.

SAVING THROWS
Ah, saving throws. Roll a D20 and get over the number on your sheet for the thing the DM tells you to save against. The numbers get lower as you level up. Let’s let the game explain what each of the saves do.

Esoteric Enterprises, Page 37 posted:

Saves against stunning are used to resist things that prevent the character from being able to act due to overwhelming stimulus. Electric shocks, extreme cold, crippling pain, and sudden terror are good examples of the sort of thing that a Save vs Stunning might resist. They are modified by Constitution.
Saves against poison are used when a hazardous substance enters the character‘s body. This covers bites by venomous animals, wounds becoming infected, eating unsafe food, contracting illnesses, parasitic infections and similar problems. They are modified by Constitution.
Saves against hazards are used against most sources of physical injury; flames, explosions, cave-ins, and so forth. They are modified by Dexterity.
Saves against machines avoid dangers springing from man-made contraptions. Typically, they avoid booby traps, cctv cameras, alarms and other security devices designed to harm, deter, record or capture the characters. They are modified by Intelligence
Saves against magic are used against any supernatural effects, including spells, the abilities of magical beings and other weirdness. This is a catch-all that covers most supernatural threats not covered by other saves. They are modified by Wisdom.
I do not like this. I think 5E actually handled saves the best out of any D&D edition, by dispensing with special categories and making all saves explicitly linked to your ability scores. Then this game comes along, and has all the obscure saving throw categories from the old grog editions reskinned, but then those are modified by your ability scores, but then TWO of them are modified by the same ability.

ATTRIBUTE ROLLS
What?

Esoteric Enterprises, Page 37 posted:

Attribute rolls are a catch-all system for when an action comes down to chance but isn‘t covered by a skill roll, a save, or attacking. Using the attribute which most fits the task in hand, roll a d20; if the result is equal to or less than the attribute, the task succeeds.
Okay…

ATTACK ROLLS
Roll a D20 and add your STR modifier for hand to hand fighting, or your DEX modifier for ranged attacks. If you get equal or better than the target’s armor class (AC) you hit and deal damage. Easy.

Let’s stop for a second and count the different resolution mechanics we’ve just been taught.

How do I…
  • Test a Skill?: Roll a D6 and try to get equal or under your skill rating, plus or minus any modifiers.
  • Make a Saving Throw?: Roll a D20 and add whatever ability score modifier is associated with the save, and try to get equal to or over the number listed on your character sheet
  • Attack?: Roll a D20 and add either your STR modifier if attacking with a melee weapon, or your DEX modifier if attacking with a ranged weapon
  • Make an Ability Score Check?: Roll a D20 and try to get equal to or under your ability score.

Four different systems. Some of them roll-over, some roll-under. Game designers, please, don’t do this! Modern incarnations of the D20 system are far from perfect, but there’s a certain appeal to using the same die-plus-modifier-versus-target-number system for everything.

Alright, enough kvetching (for now), here’s something I actually like.

ENCUMBRANCE
This section starts with a descriptive text taken straight out of Lamentations.

Esoteric Enterprises, Page 38 posted:

Ideally, players would calculate the weight of all gear they carry and compare this to a weight limit to determine how much they can carry. In practice, nobody ever does this, so a simplified system is offered.
One of the reasons people liked Lamentations originally was its simplified encumbrance system, which was based on counting how many slots worth of items you carried, rather than pounds and ounces. Esoteric Enterprises makes things even more bare bones, and the results are actually quite good.

Punitive? Yes, absolutely. But it forces actual tradeoffs between better items that weigh more, and stuff that weighs less but gets the job done. The skill penalties mean your already garbage athletics and stealth are going to be nonexistent at the first encumbrance level. Which is overly strict, but those means nobody has to worry about those movement rates on the left. Which don’t really have any effect on gameplay because the dungeons the game’s generator creates aren’t built using a consistent ground scale anyway.

Could this system be further fine tuned? Yes, absolutely. But I’ve been consistently surprised at how seriously the players take it, and how well they self police (because I’m sure as hell not auditing their inventories).

GAINING EXPERIENCE
How do I stop being a fragile Level 1 shitkid with a 5 in 6 chance to trip over my own dick? By leveling up. How do I level up? By collecting experience points. How do I collect experience points? By getting paid, son. 1 XP for 1 dollar, or whatever the base unit of currency is in your country. The game uses treasure-for-XP, which a lot of games in this genre do. You’re a criminal and you’re here to get paid, everything else is ancillary. XP is divided equally among the party, which is a natural balancing mechanism as old as D&D itself. The fewer people you bring, the tougher things will be, but the bigger your share.

The XP advancement tables for the classes are copied from Lamentations, which are taken from some version of basic D&D. The difference is that the original game combined these advancement tables with extremely generous treasure tables. Esoteric Enterprises is much stingier, but still uses the same XP numbers. The result is advancement is absolutely glacial by rules-as-written. I think this might be deliberate, since a lot of grog gamers think the first level experience is the best part of the game. Which might be true, but then why have the huge tables of levels nobody will ever reach? I think it comes down to the mechanical part of the game not really being a huge focus for the author. Just port it over from Lamentations and call it good. We’ve got random tables to fill out, dammit!

I like the treasure for XP model. It reinforces the game’s themes and takes the focus off killing things (though the game has a robust body looting system). The downside is that, combined with the game’s lethality, the players will pass on things that look dangerous and not immediately profitable. Which is smart, but not always a ton of fun.

HORRIBLE WOUNDS
OSR type games will now generally replace death at 0 HP with a death and dismemberment result at 0 HP. You look at the table and see what awful thing happened to your character. Stops you from getting oneshot by the first monster, applies more interesting consequences than just “make a new character” and encourages you to stop adventuring when you get into the danger zone.

Esoteric Enterprises has six horrible wounds tables for you to roll on when you get to 0 Flesh, based on the type of damage that did the deed. There’s ballistics, ripping, bludgeoning, burning, shocking and poisoning tables. All full of results ranging from temporary to permanent injury, to delayed death, to guaranteed delayed death, to instant death.

How do the tables work in practice? They’re a mixed bag, with a couple problems that prevent them from living up to their full potential.

First of all, take a look at this line here for how to use the table

Esoteric Enterprises, Page 41 posted:

When damage reduces you to 0 flesh or less, or you take any damage when you already had no flesh, look at the exact amount of damage dealt and get a result from the list below. It doesn't matter how far 'into the negatives' you are, just look at the result of the dice.
Why is this a problem? Say you’ve got 4 flesh and 5 grit, and a monster hits you fro 10 damage. 10 damage reduces you to 0 HP, so you look at the result for 10, because that’s the number showing on the dice. Result 10 is instant death. The death and dismemberment table didn’t actually stop you from getting oneshot, because any damage sufficient to remove all your HP in one hit is also high enough for an instant kill. The horrible wounds tables only provide non-death results when you get brought down by chip damage.

Second, maybe a third of the table results inflict the “bleeding out” condition. What does this mean?

Esoteric Enterprises, Page 41 posted:

A character who starts bleeding out can survive for as many rounds as they have hit-dice, adjusted by their Constitution modifier. For example, a first level character (who therefore has two hit dice) with +2 constitution bleeds to death in 4 rounds.
A character can attempt a Medicine roll to staunch the bleeding. This takes a round, and if successful slows the bleed to a rate of turns rather than rounds. If failed, then the character loses additional blood as the medic interferes with them; they have one less round of bleed time every time a medic fails to staunch their bleeding.
A character can also attempt to properly treat the bleeding of a character bleeding at a rate of turns. Doing so is more involved, so takes a full turn. If successful, the patient stops bleeding entirely. If failed, then the patient’s bleeding is again accelerated by a full turn.
Medicine starts at 1 in 6, and you need to succeed twice to remove the bleeding out condition. That means that unless you have either a Doctor on the team, or someone with the Cure Wounds spell (which can be used to remove Bleeding Out), it’s almost guaranteed to be fatal. That means that all the other flavor around any permanent injury that inflicts bleeding is basically irrelevant, since it’s either a guaranteed kill (because you don’t have a Doctor) or a temporary inconvenience (because you do have a Doctor and they can cure whatever crippling injury you got)

I like the horrible wounds tables. I think they’re both flavorful and an interesting way to soften the impact of rolling a character with like 3 total HP. But these two problems stop them living up to their full potential.

ACTIVITIES AND PROBLEMS
I’ll throw this section in since we can breeze through most of it and hit the highlights.

Characters take no penalties for ageing until they reach 80, then everything except Charisma is halved.

Ability score damage can be healed by anything that heals Flesh, though the player must choose to forego the Flesh healing in exchange for recovering the same number of ability score points. There’s also stuff that can permanently reduce your scores.

Items break whenever the DM feels it makes sense, but the most likely circumstance is when the character rolls a critical failure while trying to do something. It’s more likely for equipment to be damaged than to break, with further damage causing it to stop working. We’ll meet some monsters, dungeon hazards and magic later that also damage equipment.

Cave ins deal 2D6 damage and may require a Save vs Hazards to avoid being trapped in the rubble.

Climbing difficult things takes an Athletics roll. Something I didn’t notice when I first read this section is that you actually get a second Athletics roll to avoid falling if you fail the first, softening the blow somewhat.

Disguise is usually a matter of having the right costume and acting like you belong there. You only have to roll Charm under close inspection or when entering a secure area.

Locked doors can be opened by picking them or forcing them open. Interestingly, Technology is the lockpicking skill in Esoteric Enterprises, rather than Stealth. Forcing a door open uses Vandalism, with bonuses depending on the method applied. If you try to Vandalize a door and fail, you can only try again with a higher Vandalism score, or with tools that do more damage (upgrading from your hands to a crowbar, and from a crowbar to a breaching charge).

Electricity deals between 1 and 3D6 damage, and if you fail a Save vs Stunning you get stuck to the source of the damage and shocked again next round, and so on.

Falling deals 1D6 damage for every 10 feet. This was higher in my head, but I think I’m confusing it with the falling rules for Delta Green (which are some of the deadliest rules in the game, next to car accidents)

Taking fire damage requires a Save vs Hazards. Failure means you catch fire, and have to make another Save to avoid the fire getting worse, increasing from a D4 up to a D8 per turn.

You’re supposed to roll for breakage every three hours to see if the batteries in the flashlights go out, reflecting how grog games always want you to track torches in the dungeon. If you get stuck in complete darkness with no way to see, you get a -3 penalty to all your D20 rolls, a -1 penalty to all your skills, and you essentially treat all failures as critical failures. There’s a lot of debate in OSR games about what actually happens when you run out of light, whether you have to painstakingly narrate the players feeling their way along the walls, whether you just kill them instantly (eaten by a grue). I think this numeric penalty is a good compromise, since it strongly discourages adventuring in the dark without being a total pain in the rear end to adjudicate.

Hacking computers takes a Technology roll. The book encourages the DM to call for additional Technology rolls for different steps of the process. This is what the Alexandrian calls “rolling for failure” - when the guy with the already-obscure skill has to keep rolling it and rolling it because the DM considers each step of the task worthy of its own mechanical interaction, until they inevitably fail. On the other hand, the only people attempting to hack anything will probably be 6 in 6 Technology criminals, who have a 35/36 chance of success.

The game has no sanity system, damage to the integrity of the mind is reflected by damage to the mental ability scores, which may be recoverable or permanent.

There’s a paragraph about what happens if a character gets permanently transformed, such as by a magical disease like lycanthropy or vampirism. If you get transformed into an unintelligent animal, game over. If you become something intelligent, you change your character class to Spook and gain whatever powers and traits the thing you transformed into has.

Narcotics inflict temporary penalties to your mental ability scores, and you risk getting addicted if you regularly use them and fail a Save vs Poison. Why would you use narcotics? Painkillers instantly restore one hit die of grit per dose, and hallucinogens give you a +3 to your Save vs Magic. Later we’ll encounter some magical drugs that have more interesting properties.

Poison and Disease do bad things when you fail a Save vs Poison, getting progressively worse on failed saves and going away after you make enough successful ones. We’ll encounter some interesting diseases later on when we hit the DM section.

Swimming is easy unless you’re heavily encumbered or in rough waters, then you need to make an Athletics test. Fail that, and you need to make another Athletics test with a penalty. The penalties get progressively worse. You get CON/2 rounds of air in your lungs before you start taking D6 damage to flesh per-round from drowning.

Torture inflicts temporary CHA damage, with the victim breaking and “answering” the question once they hit 0. Weird that they use Charisma as the attribute that resists interrogation, rather than Wisdom, which is the “willpower” stat everywhere else in the game.

The book tells us that finding traps is an exercise in critical thinking and smart play, rather than rolling dice. A nice thought, except the rules text has already told us Perception is for locating traps, and will later give us an example of play where it’s used for locating traps. Disarming traps is done with the Technology skill, or by obvious stuff like ripping the power cable out of a gun turret.

What’s my overall read on the rules in Esoteric Enterprises? There are too many skills, too many saving throw categories, too many different resolution mechanics, and too much stuff just ported over from Lamentations. The game tells you to use your brain instead of your character sheet, then sets up a million special cases where you have to roll a specific skill to accomplish something. It can’t decide if it wants to be Basic D&D or World of Darkness.

When I finish the review, I’ll go into the way I run the game, and the changes I’ve made to mitigate these problems.

Join me next time, when we take a look at combat and downtime, along with whatever else I can fit in the post.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

The Outer Planes: The Nine Hells and Acheron

The Nine Hells (Lawful Evil) tend to dominate mortal perceptions of the Lower Planes; their terrains are specifically hellish, the devils that live here tend to menace other planes in a broader and more organized fashion, and its infrastructure is much greater than that of planes belonging to the demons and daemons. Most of the plane’s inhabitants are lawful evil devils, but they do share levels with several lawful evil deities and monsters (some of which share names to deliberately cause confusion or reroute petitions). As a rule, any arch-devil that controls a significant chunk of a level counts as a Lesser Power, while the arch-devil dominating an entire level counts as a Great Power. All of them tend to follow one of three factions dominated by a leader and vague political platform; Asmodeus represents the status quo as the plane’s rough overlord, Baalzebul acts as an ambitious counterweight and Mephistopheles presents himself as a moderate. Of course, all of them actually just want power for themselves, but their struggle reflects the underlying paradox of power among devils; each firmly believes themself the best fit to rule the Nine Hells, but none of them trust each other enough to get the plane organized under any kind of hierarchy. They rarely pose any real threat to another plane, whatever its location, because they always prioritize ruling their home plane.

Each level/hell of the titular Nine Hells contains a deeply unpleasant environment stretching out infinitely, inhabited by a variety of devils ruled directly by archdevil Lesser Powers under the indirect control of a single Greater Power that dominates the level. While level rulers tend to be too powerful to challenge, their subordinates can be and are overthrown frequently and it’s at least theoretically possible to take over an entire level. Said Greater Powers tend to jealously control information flow to petitioners on the Prime Material Planes; if each had their way, their followers would think they controlled Hell on their own. They still have to deal with information leaks. The natives of a given level ignore that level’s environmental hazards, but not sources of similar damage; a devil on a hot plane won’t take heat damage from its surroundings but can be injured by fireballs and will take penalties if they go to another hot plane. Between that and the fact that portals between levels tend to be found at the bottom of ravines and either open up onto heavily defended mountaintops or half a mile in the air (:smugwizard: for mortal visitors), invasions mounted into other levels rarely succeed. That doesn’t stop them from fighting or attempting to attack Prime Materials with similar results, which leaves the Nine Hells riddled with passages into and out of many of those realms.
  • Avernus is a barren, lifeless wasteland under a dark red sky marked by flammable gas vents; wanderers have a small chance of setting them off like small bombs. Most of its inhabitants are lesser devils driven out from lower layers but not so out-of-favor they need to flee to other planes. Tiamat rules this level; attended to by a coterie of evil dragons, she spends most of her time overseeing the Styx, the Lethe (a similar river that flows down the Hells), and the big glowing hoops that mark portals to other planes. She owes her allegiance to Asmodeus and is a keystone of his power; though other devils tend to think of her as a big dumb animal, she is more than smart enough to coordinate with him and control passage between the planes in his favor. Two local gods sit outside of her control; Kurtulmak, god of kobolds, who lives in caverns deep beneath the surface and plays power politics to stay alive, and poor Set of the Egyptian Pantheon – without breaking my promise, I’ll say the writers really did him dirty.
  • Dis, ruled out of the titular city by Dispater (a Mephistopheles partisan), resembles Avernus except for its greenish, occasionally stormy sky and countless poisonous rivers. Most portals into and out of the level open somewhere into fortifications within the Iron City. Beyond his sphere of control lies the realm of a Babylonian death god, but he wouldn’t be very interesting even if I wanted to get into him.
  • Minauros is controlled by Mammon, the embodiment of greed and an ally of Mephistopheles; the fact that the whole level is unstable swamp doesn’t stop him from building up a gigantic, sinking, rotting capital city in the middle of it. The place is prone to precipitation, whether rain, snow, or hail, and so stalked by disease that a visitor has a small chance of contracting a major illness after visiting.
  • Phlegethos is full of volcanoes that spew fire. Not lava, like, the same conditions you’d find on the Elemental Plane of Fire (with appropriate :smugwizard: to survive). While two powerful goddesses (one Greek, one Sumerian) hold adjacent territories here and have more than a little power and influence, Asmodeus spends much of his time preventing them from getting too involved in local politics in case they bring the wrath of their pantheons down on the plane. Instead, Belial controls the level out of a city built into a rare dead volcano; he’s aligned himself with Baalzebul since Asmodeus commands the loyalty of his rival on the next plane down, Geryon. Speaking of which…
  • Stygia is a massive ice sheet over a deep ocean, only marked by the Styx (which flows through here before connecting to the next plane). That ice sheet sits below a sort of cold swamp that rises into islands; the tops of those islands tend to get hit by lightning strikes and emit balls of cold fire that can smack into travelers at random. Though the shark god of the Sahuagin holds court in the deep ocean, an archdevil named Geryon controls the bulk of the level out of his palace on one of the largest islands; he’s about as loyal to Asmodeus as an archdevil can be and offers his master strategic control of the center of the plane and the fastest way from its depths to its surface.
  • Malbolge’s “ground” is a mass of giant irregular basalt blocks all jumbled together. The sheer distances travelers have to scale in order to get over these blocks plus constant unpleasant vapors earn the level a half :smugwizard:, given just how necessary some form of flight is to get from place to place. It features countless small copper fortresses that all answer to Moloch, Baalzebul’s vassal, who moves between them because his lord isn’t a fan of Moloch building much of a power base.
  • Maladomini is a colossal stretch of rock over a layer of magma, but its original form has long since been erased; the entire layer is coated with stone constructions of various kinds, mostly fortresses. Baalzebul rules out of Malagard, a massive palace-city stacked with various treasures/junk that hosts the only concentrated population in the level.
  • Caina is a massive ice sheet much too cold to host the cold swamps of Stygia; :smugwizard: makes its triumphant return here, since the weather is so cold you need extensive protection just to survive. Mephistopheles controls the plane out of his fortress on top of a particularly large glacier.
  • Nessus requires even more :smugwizard:; every imaginable extreme of climates and terrain can be found here somewhere. You even get periodic walls of fire sweeping over the landscape. The single dominant feature of the layer is its countless deep ravines and crevices; the deepest lead to Asmodeus’s palace, the largest urban settlement in the Lower Planes.

Once again, no Baatezu anything here, just devils. This will pay off in two updates.

This is supposed to be the Nine Hells, I think, but Acheron doesn’t have an illustration so this will have to do.

Acheron (Lawful Evil) is the deadest of the Outer Planes; it has no native life, few permanent denizens, and visitors mostly interested in settling their differences before moving on. If forces from any two organizations want to fight it out, they usually send their soldiers here to duke it out. Aside from collections of souls who died fighting pointless wars (who gather into legions and try to destroy each other), it’s only if two sides can’t settle their arguments that anyone takes up permanent residence here; you can find the goblin and Orcish pantheons going at it on one of the largest blocks in Avalas. Speaking of which:
  • Avalas is the top layer of Acheron, a vast empty space filled with iron cubes several miles across (at least). The cubes, like the shapes on every level of Acheron, occasionally meet and bond together for a short while before splitting up again. The spirit legions mostly live here, as do most visitors; they can enter through neighboring planes or by riding the Styx out of the Nine Hells (it flows through empty space and over blocks before vanishing into pits in various cubes, presumably going back to Pandemonium somehow), and they leave by finding spheres that play music when touched (to other planes) or unmarked parts of space (to other layers). Notably, blocks pass through both without resistance, and going through a barrier or portaling in puts you in the middle of the plane away from a block; since motion is relative and gravity only pulls down on you if you’re standing on a block, you’re likely to get pasted along the side of any passing block unless you can fly or :smugwizard: yourself to match its velocity.
  • Thuldanin looks like Avalas from the outside, but instead of solid blocks the cubes contain caverns filled with various wondrous inventions, broken down and shoved into the walls. Unfortunately, those inventions (and any items that if spent too long in the level) have turned to stone. You might be able to find something useful if you spend about three years making your way through the level and checking cubes. That doesn’t stop scouts from other levels running around looking for something useful.
  • Tintibulus works like the previous two levels, but instead of iron cubes its contents are all rock Platonic solids; while in other levels blocks meet without causing tremors or anything, here they slam into each other hard enough to leave hexagonal faults in their surfaces. No one comes here except for the occasional magical researcher.
  • Ocanthus is populated entirely by flying slices of razor sharp “dark matter”. Getting hit by one will slice just about anyone apart. Not even researchers come down here.

That was a boring plane. Oh well, now we’re done with the alignment planes outside of the one representing neutrality. Next time we both cover that and learn that Magic-Users in Vegas can use second-level spells.

:smugwizard: Counter: 47

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
2e Acheron is mostly updated by having some actual stuff going on, as well as a very few natives. It's still mostly a plane of pointless strife, however.

2e Baator mostly reshuffles the levels' themes a bit, and, of course, the Baatezu and Tanar'ri suddenly get the Blood War to distract them from trying to conquer the rest of reality.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Falconier111 posted:

[*]Nessus requires even more :smugwizard:; every imaginable extreme of climates and terrain can be found here somewhere. You even get periodic walls of fire sweeping over the landscape. The single dominant feature of the layer is its countless deep ravines and crevices; the deepest lead to Asmodeus’s palace, the largest urban settlement in the Lower Planes.
And I still don't get a single thin dime from Helltaker.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
ESOTERIC ENTERPRISES PART 4: ENCOUNTERS, COMBAT, DOWNTIME AND MEDICAL EXPERIMENTS

In 2020, I posted this: four. My most accomplished review yet.

COMBAT AND ENCOUNTERS
Remember when I said last post that whether everyone rolls skills or just one person is decided on a case by case basis throughout the book?

Esoteric Enterprises, Page 52 posted:

These rules refer to a party leader whose stats are used for various checks. This character will typically be the one coordinating their team-mates actions or else the one at the front of the marching order. It does not imply that the leader has any authority over the other PCs, merely that they’re taking point.
Monster and NPC groups will likely have a leader; typically the most powerful or influential of their number.

SURPRISE
The first thing to do when an encounter happens (random encounters and when/why they happen will be covered later) is check for surprise. The DM rolls Perception once for each side, using whichever character in the group’s skill is highest. If one side succeeds and the other fails, the winner detects the loser but the loser doesn’t detect the winner. The winner can decide if they want to avoid the encounter, hide, set an ambush, etc. If both sides succeed, they both become aware of the others’ presence. If they both fail, they run into each other and are both surprised.

Since the game’s base perception score for both players and NPCs is 1 in 6, expect a lot of people to run into each other unexpectedly. Welcome to the Occult Underworld.

There’s a paragraph on engagement distances. If you surprise the other guy, you have a chance to choose the engagement range, or creep closer using Stealth. If you both run into each other, the engagement distance is randomly determined if you’re above ground, or in the same room if you’re underground.

REACTION ROLLS
If it’s not immediately obvious how a group of NPCs you encounter would feel about the players, or what they would do, the DM rolls a D6 and adds/subtracts the party leader’s Charisma modifier. If the players are aware of the encounter and consciously trying to make a good impression, someone can make a Charm roll to add a positive modifier to the roll.

I like reaction rolls. I think they’re a good design and people misunderstand what they’re for. They exist so that every random encounter doesn’t immediately result in a gunfight, and the players don’t automatically get wiped when they encounter 2D6 elite cultists with machine guns or whatever.

However, most games either use a larger die, or use 2D6 or something to generate the reaction roll. And they usually have a wider range of results than just hostile/unsure/friendly (though often the more granular results boil down to the same thing). Using a D6 means that if someone has good Charisma and a good charm score, it can be impossible to fail a reaction roll. That doesn’t mean you never get into fights, the reaction roll is only supposed to be used if it’s not obvious how the NPCs feel about the players. What I found is that reaction rolls were important early in the campaign, when the group was running into all the factions for the first time. They fell out of use later on, when they’d made friends and enemies in the underworld.

Still, a use for your 6 in 6 Charm criminal. Make friends with all the creepy animals and gross wizards in the basement.

INITIATIVE
But let’s say the reaction roll went badly, or the dungeon dogs were hungry, or you started shooting before the death knight opened its mouth.

The game uses group initiative, so roll a D6 and add the party leader’s DEX mod. Note that this makes the selection of the party leader an interesting choice, since both their DEX and CHA modifiers are used to determine outcomes for the party. Whoever rolled higher - the players or the monsters - goes first. Then the other side goes.

I don’t like group initiative. It usually makes the first round of combat a curb stomp, which some people think is a feature but I don’t find very interesting. It also creates a specific out-of-character problem where I ask “ok did everyone go?”, hear no responses, and then start to narrate what the monsters do, only to have a player shout “WAIT! I haven’t gone yet”. Repeat depending on how many players weren’t listening.

THINGS THAT CAN BE DONE IN A ROUND
Combat is pretty simple. The action economy lets you move and do something, draw an item and do something, or just do something. Attacking is a D20+Modifiers roll versus the target’s armor class.

In addition to the basic attack action, the game gives you a suite of combat maneuvers to choose from, which trade penalties for bonuses.

Esoteric Enterprises, Page 54 posted:

Go for the Kill
As above, make an attack roll. When going for the kill, you take a -2 penalty to your attack roll, and a -2 penalty to your Armour Class. If your attack hits, you deal 2 points more damage.

Fight Defensively
As above, make an attack roll. When fighting defensively, you get +2 to your Armour Class until your action on the next round. However, you also take a -2 penalty to your attack rolls for the round.
You can only fight defensively in a melee.

Fight Recklessly
As above, make an attack roll. When fighting recklessly, you get +2 to your attack roll. However, you also take a -2 penalty to your Armour Class until your action on the next round.
You can only fight recklessly in a melee.

Aim
If you spend a full round aiming a ranged weapon, then an attack you make with it next round gets +4 to your attack roll. You take a -2 penalty to your Armour Class until your action on the next round.
The Mercenary and Bodyguard classes get to ignore the penalties, meaning they can and should use a combat maneuver every time they attack.

There’s an action called covering fire, where you hold your action, but make a ranged attack against any target who moves in the open on their turn. You can target as many enemies in this fashion as you have hit-dice, so 2 for first level characters. Normally you need an automatic rifle to do covering fire, but Bodyguards and Mercenaries can do it with any firearm.

Blast attacks don’t require a roll-to-hit, everyone in the radius just makes a Save vs Hazards to avoid damage. This makes grenades and flamethrowers a great choice for characters with garbage attributes.

Wrestling is a quick and easy opposed D20+STR test, with some assorted modifiers for special circumstances. The winner can immobilize the loser or disarm them. If multiple people wrestle one person, roll for all of them and take the highest roll against the target’s one roll, applying a +1 per person. Wrestling rules because it ignores AC. Don’t bother trying to hit an armored target with your weapon, grapple them and kill them once they’re immobilized and helpless. Just like in real life.

COMPLICATIONS IN COMBAT
If you roll a 1 when using a firearm, it’s out of ammunition. You can’t use it again unless you have spare ammunition in your inventory. A lot of games have narrative ammunition rules and I think that’s a good shift, away from counting bullets.

Cover gives either +3 or +6 versus ranged attacks, depending on how protective it is. This means that gunfights between two sides in cover get bogged down in ineffectual shooting pretty quickly. I’ve had this happen in-game and I consider it a feature rather than a bug. Don’t try to shoot someone behind cover, that’s what grenades are for.

Shooting into melee gives you a -3 to your roll to hit. This encourages everyone to carry a hand-weapon so that they aren’t totally useless when the fighting gets close up.

Finally, a very important rule that I’m going to bold: If you hit someone with a surprise attack, either from a failed Perception roll or from Stealth, the damage you deal ignores Grit and goes straight to Flesh.

Why is this an important rule? Humans in Esoteric Enterprises never get more than a single die of Flesh. That means that an ambush is usually instantly lethal for the players, or for any human enemies they fight, no matter how powerful they are. On the other hand, there are also enemies that are all Flesh and no Grit, like Flesh Hulks and Shoggoths, which are totally pointless to ambush.

Every player character in the game is a single failed Perception roll away from instant death. This is what I meant when I said earlier that the game is disingenuous, when it insists that you’re not supposed to be rolling skills all the time.

MORALE
When NPCs take a beating, they roll morale. They do this when they lose half their numbers, or when a single tough NPC is reduced to half HP. They also might check morale when something scary they’re not used to happens, like when cavemen hear a gunshot for the first time, or when normal people see dangerous magic. Some things never check morale, like zombies or golems.

A morale check is a D6, plus the party leader’s Charisma modifier.

Again, this is the kind of thing most games in the genre do with 2D6. If the player leading the party has a +2 Charisma modifier, it’s impossible for the enemy to pass morale.

Player characters never have to check morale, it’s up to them if they want to keep fighting hopeless battles.

FLEEING AND PURSUIT
When someone wants to run away, you transition from the combat rules to the pursuit rules.

First, everyone in hand to hand combat with a fleeing character gets a free attack against them. Then the actual pursuit begins. In the game’s own words, the first step is to eyeball whether one side is obviously faster than the other, making the pursuit a foregone conclusion. This would be a good use for those movement speeds we saw on the encumbrance table in the last section. Except for one problem: none of the NPCs or monsters in the book have movement speeds listed. So what happens when neither side has an obvious advantage? You make an Athletics roll. You roll your 1 in 6 chance to get away, and the other guy rolls his 1 in 6 (most NPCs don’t have an Athletics score) chance to catch you. This makes running away a comedy of errors, as one side stumbles and trips running away and the other side stumbles and trips trying to catch them.

I do not like the pursuit rules. The free attack and the D6 roll versus your lovely Athletics score mean running away is a great way to get attacked over and over and fail to escape. This annoys me because the game’s player advice section specifically tells you to run away when a fight looks unwinnable. If standing and fighting requires a die roll, and running away requires an even less likely die roll, the players are going to stand and fight.

(And note that this is yet another case where the game demands that you roll your lovely skill, which you were supposed to find a galaxy brain solution and avoid rolling)

The funny thing is that this section is significantly dumbed down from the Lamentations rules, which had a robust system based on movement speed and the players enacting capers in order to fool or inconvenience their pursuers and get away.

DOWNTIME
Downtime is used for two main purposes: recovering HP and shopping for items. Spellcasters might also use it to scribe scrolls or do other magical stuff, and Doctors might use it to do weird science.

RESOURCES
Every character in Esoteric Enterprises has a Resource Level. By default, that’s equal to the character’s level. Social traits bought at chargen can increase the resource level further, and Spooks don’t get additional resources from leveling up.

This… seems like something that should have been included in the chargen section.

Anyway, the dollar amounts are a shorthand for what/how much stuff you can buy before you have to worry about impacting your budget. The game uses an abstracted wealth system, rather than counting dollars and cents. None of the items in the gear list have prices. If the players get a huge haul from a job, they might get a temporary boost to their resources score, but that’s it.

I like abstracted wealth systems, most of the time. In this case, I think it was the wrong choice. We’re already counting dollars and cents for XP purposes, counting them for spending purposes isn’t a profound hardship. And I have another beef with how you actually use your resource level to acquire items.

BUYING THINGS
This section starts off by admonishing you that you don’t need game mechanics to buy basic stuff like food, or the internet connection in your house. Cool. Then we get into the mechanics for actually purchasing items. If you want to buy something, you first need to make a Contacts roll in order to find someone selling it. If you pass the Contacts roll, you then roll a D10 versus your resources level to see if you can afford it, trying to roll equal or lower.

First of all, we’ve added yet ANOTHER resolution mechanic to the pile, D10 roll under. Couldn’t we just have had resource levels stop at 6?

Second, how likely is the average first level character to be able to buy something? 1 in 6 in contacts times 1 in 10 in resources. A 1.7% chance to buy an item. Any item at all, be it a gas mask, a handful of caltrops, an automatic rifle, a grimoire or a pair of gloves.

But wait.

Esoteric Enterprises, Page 57 posted:

With even a low Resources score, mundane equipment like spray-paint, cable-ties and so on can be purchased as well.
Does that mean you don’t have to roll for stuff on the adventuring gear table? What does “mundane equipment” mean? This seems like an awesome place to have a consistent terminology, like a tag “mundane item” to put on things the players don’t need to make a resources roll for.

The gear list does not have a tag “mundane item”.

Thematically, I think I understand why the author set up the rules this way. You’re a hobo wizard who spends every spare nickel on cheap wine and magical child support payments. You’re lucky if you can scrape up enough money for a hotel stay, let alone a book of spells.

In practice, these mechanics are extremely discouraging for the players. They risk their lives for money in the occult underworld, then the game tells them they don’t actually have the ability to spend that money on items. Until they hit level 2, all the cash they collected is worth jack poo poo after it becomes XP.

You can also make Contacts and Resources rolls to find information, get clandestine medical treatment to cure horrible wounds, or get favors done. All with the same stellar chance of success as purchasing a pack of cigarettes. Unless that counts as a mundane item? There’s no way to be sure.

Whatever. Time to talk about a good mechanic.

MEDICAL EXPERIMENTS
This is the Doctor class’ other special ability. They can do two types of experimental medicine: Trivial and Risky. Either way, it takes a day of downtime and access to a laboratory, making that a good social advantage to pick if you roll a Doctor.

Trivial medicine is mostly used to treat poison, disease, and the long term effects of horrible wounds. It takes a Medicine roll, meaning a doctor with a +1 INT modifier has a 35/36 chance to succeed. There’s a throwaway line about how you can transplant body parts, but a given body part harvested from a corpse has a random chance of being compatible with any given person. Which leads to doctors obsessively collecting body parts to maximize the likelihood of a match.

But you didn’t become a doctor to reattach normal human limbs. You became a doctor so you could give people night vision by harvesting a fairy prince’s corneas, or acid spit by cutting up a dungeon dragon’s digestive glands. Risky medicine uses a Save vs Machines to determine whether the crazy procedure you’re undertaking succeeds, fails, or succeeds with horrible side effects. The Doctor’s save vs machines is pretty good, and is further improved by a good INT score, but there’s still a chance of repercussions here. The book is light on details about how exactly this should all work, but provides a list of sample consequences for failure.

Esoteric Enterprises, Page 59 posted:

• Organs being grafted in fail to take hold, and rapidly turn gangrenous. The area where the graft was going becomes useless; inconvenient for a leg, but potentially lethal (Save vs Poison or die, perhaps) when it’s the chest cavity or brain.
• The patient becomes horrifically allergic to some common substance; exposure to it in even trace amounts deals d6 damage to them each round. Possible allergies include iron, car-exhaust fumes, alcohol, paper, sunlight, human sweat, plastic, cotton or tap-water.
• The patient must consume some unusual substance to stay alive; each day that they don’t, permanently reduce their maximum flesh by 1. Example substances include human blood, cerebrospinal fluids, powerful immunosuppressant drugs, naptha or stem cells.
• The patient becomes highly contagious with some weird disease, although they themselves are immune. Those making physical contact must Save vs Poison or contract it. A typical wasting disease requires saves twice per day, dealing d8 damage to constitution on a failed save. Alternately, page 128 details of all manner of far nastier and weirder sicknesses.
• The patient becomes functionally undead, only kept alive through the weird science of the doctor. They are immune to poison, disease and so on, cannot be healed by Medicine rolls, and take double damage from holy things.
• Damage to the patient’s body results in them suffering the effects of a Horrible Wound, as detailed on page 42-47. Choose one that’s appropriate, for example a mangled tongue for experiments grafting things into the patient’s throat.
• A clone rapidly matures into something horribly dangerous and hostile to the doctor. The stats for Paradox Beasts might be appropriate.
• Body-parts discarded by the doctor cling to life, and become dangerous monsters in their own right. The stats for various undead beings (such as half-zombies or crawling hands) might be appropriate.
• There is an outbreak of some horrible disease accidentally engineered by the doctor. Numerous civilians nearby contract it within the day, and those in contact with them must Save vs Poison or contract it too. A typical flash-warping virus requires saves every hour. On a failed save, the victim takes d6 damage to Dexterity and Charisma; upon death, their flesh transforms into a 1HD paradox beast. Alternately, page 128 contains many other example diseases.
• The new body a brain is placed into is not fully under control, and sometimes tries to rid itself of the alien mind trying to puppet it (Save vs Stunning whenever the patient has a chance to remove their brain while leaving the body intact, or they try to follow through).
I like the experimental medicine section a lot. It gives the doctor an interesting minigame to play instead of just being a healbot, and it makes every creature the players face a potential source of new powers, if they slice pieces off and graft them to themselves. It could use a little more guidance than just a couple examples and a paragraph telling the DM to wing it, but it’s still one of the most fun subsystems in the game.

Highlights from experimental medicine in my first campaign:
  • Doctor Cobb replacing his arm with a slime mold, which he programmed to assume complex biological shapes by keeping it in a constant state of barely sated hunger, occasionally feeding it dungeon meat to keep it from devouring him.
  • Johan the Occultist, held captive in the sewer chamber of the Leviathan cult, stripped of all his equipment, escaping by casting Time Stop using the enormous paradox crab claw grafted to his third arm, running naked out of the sewers and back to the surface before the acolytes caught up with him.
  • Devin the Riot Bard using the magical drake wings he bought from a gang of juvenile delinquents to fly up to the roof of a massive cistern, out of reach of an aboleth’s tentacles.

Glad I could end this segment on a high note. Next post, we’ll go over the special powers available to the Spook class. Yup, we’re still working our way through chargen options. See you there.

mellonbread fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 23, 2021

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

mellonbread posted:

The book doesn’t instruct you on whether characters are all supposed to be making their own skill rolls, or whether you’re supposed to take the highest, lowest, etc. There are cases where it’s obvious, like Drive is the person driving the car. Does everyone in a room get a Perception test to notice something? Does everyone need to roll Stealth to hide? There are examples that get addressed later on a case-by-case basis, but no general rule.

I wish more games accounted for players being able to "lead" others at an action, like, say, Stealth, because having only one guy good at sneaking tends to mean that sneaking is almost always out unless you want to split the party a lot. Having some sort of explicit mechanics for leading/instructing others and thus letting them borrow your skill check(perhaps at an appropriate penalty) would be good, maybe even have it be something you could invest in being better at.

Also, sometimes giving everyone a check at a thing makes it incredibly hard to gauge the probabilities. Like, I can effortlessly tell what the odds are of one guy rolling a D20 vs TN 15. But when four people are making the roll simultaneously and they all have somewhat different TN's, it's hard to adjust said TN's appropriately. On the other hand, if you go too hard on the "just the best guy rolls," then you end up with a situation where the more min/maxed party members are LITERALLY the only ones allowed to do things, and everyone else is just there for flavour text.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I wish more games accounted for players being able to "lead" others at an action, like, say, Stealth, because having only one guy good at sneaking tends to mean that sneaking is almost always out unless you want to split the party a lot. Having some sort of explicit mechanics for leading/instructing others and thus letting them borrow your skill check(perhaps at an appropriate penalty) would be good, maybe even have it be something you could invest in being better at.

Also, sometimes giving everyone a check at a thing makes it incredibly hard to gauge the probabilities. Like, I can effortlessly tell what the odds are of one guy rolling a D20 vs TN 15. But when four people are making the roll simultaneously and they all have somewhat different TN's, it's hard to adjust said TN's appropriately. On the other hand, if you go too hard on the "just the best guy rolls," then you end up with a situation where the more min/maxed party members are LITERALLY the only ones allowed to do things, and everyone else is just there for flavour text.

In theory you can negate the last issue by spreading skills out between characters in an organized manner, but nobody wants to do that so :shrug:

The Outer Planes: the Plane of Concordant Opposition; Appendices 1-4

The Plane of Concordant Opposition may not even be an Outer Plane; it links up to the rest of them, sure, but it has no clear alignment and no dominant theme outside of neutrality. Which I guess actually is in alignment, so there you go. When you visit Concordant Opposition, you don’t see things as they actually are (relatively speaking); instead, everything has a different aesthetic for every visitor on different visits laid over the same key elements. The first time you enter the plane that aesthetic resembles the environment you most strongly identify with writ large – a trapper sees an endless mountain range, a shepherd sees rolling hills filled with illusory livestock that never thin out no matter how far they travel, a modron sees the spaces of Nirvana packed with gears beyond reasonable expectation – but it never looks the same the next time they enter and it doesn’t look the same even to people in the same party. You find the only exceptions in areas where gods or pantheons hold sway; they look however they want them to. And the plane is packed full of gods. Any deities that don’t identify with any alignment or hold themselves above petty alignment disputes make their homes here; the entire Celtic Pantheon, the Norns, the gods of lizardmen and mermen, and a whole jumble of human gods from other pantheons live here. The only god worth singling out is Bes, the Egyptian god of luck (and other things), because he’s very similar to the dwarven god of luck and no one’s ever seen them at the same party.

However, the plane sees a lot more divine visitors than just that, drawn to it as a neutral (:rimshot:) meeting ground – and not just because all causes of damage and healing have the minimum possible effect, or because of its portals, featureless, floating white circles that take users to the plane of their choice with a thought (the destination is decided by majority vote and majority chaotic groups have a chance of popping out in adjacent or opposite planes). See, unlike most planes, Concordant Opposition has a definite center, an endless spire shooting out of the ground; the closer you get to the spire, the less magic of any kind works. At 1000 miles out (where the portals sit), the very strongest spells lose their potency as ninth level/equivalent magic stops working; illusions of all kinds fail within 700 miles, poisons all stop working after 500, summoning doesn’t work after 400, and Power powers start to fade until chemical reactions stop a hundred miles away from the spire. No one’s ever gotten closer than that. Outer Planes notables like the place because you can head to about 200 miles out and hold markets or peace conferences there; while you can’t use magic of any kind, the natural toughness of divinities persists and magical items keep their opponents once removed from the area.

The greatest tragedy of this plane? No Sigil. No barmy sods getting bobbed for their jink or berks telling Mercykillers to pike off before feeding the wyrm here. I know we’ve talked about the changes to Planescape over the years in the thread, but I promise these elements will all come home in the next post.

The chapter ends with a brief section on other possible outer planes (they might exist, make them up if you want, there’s plenty to use here if you don’t) and, more importantly, a truly amazing picture of a genie. Look at this mystical motherfucker!

The book has four appendices, the first of which is the most interesting because it tells us how to make Prime Material Planes! The book presumes you know how your campaign’s Prime Material works, so it focuses on how to reach others and what you find when you get there. Travel between Prime Materials tends to be treacherous and requires a lot of :smugwizard: to do safely. We’ve covered the details elsewhere. Once you get there, the book uses three factors to describe what a given Prime Material looks like, each ranked from 10 to -10 (with 0 describing the average DnD world):
  • The Physical Factor describes a both given plane’s basic physical laws and sense of realism. Higher numbers indicate the sort of physical conditions that prevents winged flight without engines, while lower numbers indicate wildly unlikely inhabitants; at 10 intelligence is impossible and everything explodes, at 5 you get strictly realistic physics, at -5 you get Alice in Wonderland, and at -10 the plane is basically Limbo except everything is sentient.
  • The Magical Factor indicates just how common magic is on the plane in any form. Positives mean magic is common, powerful, and easy to cast; negatives reduce magical potential and eventually creativity and intelligence too. At -10 intelligent life is only possible if it can’t use magic or creativity, at -5 clerics can’t call on Powers from other planes and magic users can use third level spells at most, at 5 all intelligent creatures can use magic an unlimited number of times a day and train themselves up to 10th level spellcasting, and at 10 the plane dissolves into demi-planes as nascent Powers rip it apart. If I’m reading this right, the chart implies visitors to planes with low Magical Factors can’t escape, since they need magic to do so.
  • The Temporal Factor describes a Prime Material’s relationship with a visitor’s home plane in general. I think. 10 means conditions are wildly different (as in the planet’s airless and the sun is purple), 5 means local life is mundane and boring, -5 means the plane looks like the visitor’s home plane except a century backwards or forwards in the timeline, and -10 means the same but with millions of years in discrepancy. I’m not sure what the negative numbers mean if a plane’s Physical and Magical Factors vary wildly, but I think it describes social development and aesthetic.

To create a Prime Material, you either pick the factors or role for each with a d10 and a D4 (evens mean positive, odds mean negative). Of course, without any kind of curve that means alternate Prime Materials tend to be highly inhospitable to visitors, but you take what you can get. The book describes 20th century Earth as 5,-4,5, which amusingly enough implies the readers of this thread can use magic if we try hard and believe in ourselves. The section ends with rules on how classes and races work in various Prime Materials (in negative Magical Factors inherently magical creatures save versus death or explode).

Appendix 2 includes information on how to represent elementals and other creatures from the Inner Planes; they have immunities to the conditions they encounter on their home planes, come in different sizes, and have more varied aesthetics on the Elemental Planes then in the various paras and quasis. Also you get info on how to spin treasure tables for the main planes. Appendix 3 lists stats and info on Outer Planes creatures, especially the various einherjar (spirit warriors) and archons you might encounter, while appendix 4 details the relative abilities of Greater, Lesser, and Demi-Powers. While they vary a lot in the number, frequency, and breadth of their powers, suffice to say that they use magic like 20th, 15th, and 10th level spellcaster’s, respectively. The rest is just their spell lists.

And that’s it. You get a subject index, a spell index, and the back cover. With all this stuff wrapped up, next post will be a review, evaluation, and final analysis of the Manual of the Planes.

:smugwizard: Final Count: 48

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
ESOTERIC ENTERPRISES PART 5: SPOOKS & THEIR POWERS

It’s not a chapter about archaic racial slurs and CIA agents. It’s a list of supernatural origins and special powers for the game's monster character class.

At first level, a Spook gets a supernatural origin that gives them a set of special strengths and weaknesses. Then they get a single monstrous power. This powers may be randomly rolled, or selected by the player. Each power is tagged with a few “themes”. Each time the Spook levels up, they gain a new power, but the power chosen must share at least one theme with at least one of their existing powers.

ORIGINS
There are eight origins to choose from. Each comes with a D10 table of example powers for that origin, but the rules say you can combine any power with any origin if the DM is cool with it.

Human Variant
You get a free feat at first level.

Wait no, poo poo, gently caress.

You’re a human with a weird bloodline, strange mutation or other source of innate power. You get no special strengths or weaknesses, your base hit die is lowered to a D4 (the normal Spook gets a D6 HD) and your resources level increases normally as you level, like every other class.

Construct
You’re an artificial being. You might be a robot, a golem or some other animate object. You’re immune to poison and disease, don’t need to eat or breathe, don’t take damage from cold, and can’t bleed out. But you also can’t heal Flesh points via Medicine, and you always fail saves vs mind controlling effects because you were built to obey commands.

Fairies
You’re a magical creature created from the dreams of humanity. Maybe nice dreams, but probably not. You’re immune to poison and disease, don’t need to eat or drink, but take double damage from cold iron.

The Ghostly
You’re a ghost. You can’t interact with physical objects, except magic ones, or by using magic. You know infomorphs in Eclipse Phase? It’s like that. Not great. I’ve never seen anyone play a ghost.

The Living
“subterranean morlocks, aquatic piscine undines, yeti, bigfoot, animals living among humans in disguise or one of any number of similar creatures” with “no special rules traits”. Not sure why this is a category. Maybe so you could roll on a D8 instead of a D7 for your origin?

Minerals
Rock people from deep beneath the earth’s surface. Immune to poison, cold, suffocation disease and bleeding. Take double damage from electricity, which damages the delicate crystal matrices of their silicon brains. Move as though they were one encumbrance level slower than they actually are.

Plants
Dryads, fungus people, swamp things, etc. Immune to bleeding and suffocation, and produce enough oxygen for one other person. Take double damage from fire.

The Undead
Zombies, revanents, ghouls, vampires, etc. Immune to suffocation, cold, poison and disease. Take double damage from Holy or Blessed weapons. Can’t recover HP from Medicine, can’t recover more than 1 Flesh at a time from any source.

I like most of these origins. If this wasn’t a grog race-as-class game, I’d want these to be templates any class could take - like a Mineral Mercenary or a Ghoul Mystic.

MONSTROUS POWERS
There are a lot of these, so I’m going to hit the ones that seem most interesting, and skip over predictable stuff like talking to animals or breathing underwater.

Achilles Heel
Take half damage from normal sources, but bonus damage versus one specific thing.

Ambush Surgeon
If your attack deals damage to Flesh through a sneak attack, the target takes extra damage and begins Bleeding Out. See how THEY like it.

Animal Shape
You can transform into an animal and back whenever you want.

Animate Body Parts
Animate chunks of bodies, up to the size of a human arm. You can animate an infinite amount as long as you maintain your concentration.

Blood Drinking
Feed on living targets to restore your HP and make them Bleed Out

Creature of the Night
Get bonuses to all your rolls in darkness, and penalties in the light. I think this would have worked better as an origin package, since it’s a bit of a double edged sword.

Deepen Shadows
Boost the entire team’s Stealth by 1

Detach Body Parts
Rip pieces of yourself off, control them remotely and reattach them.

Face Thief
Take on the physical appearance of anyone you’ve touched.

Flesh Sculptor
THE FLESH IS FLUID! IT CAN BE CHANGED, RESHAPED, REMADE! Also, it gives you a +2 to Medicine.

Fluid Form
Change your shape, fit into any space water can fit through, wrestle slightly better.

Gullet Storage
You’re a pelican. Hope it was worth taking this as your one power.

Haunter
Heal every time you scare someone, and give enemies a penalty to morale.

Healing Stigmata
Heal other people by transferring the damage to yourself. You can do the same with horrible wounds. Wonder how long you last doing that.

Hoard
Your resources level increases normally instead of staying at 1. You know, like if you took the human origin. I’m including this to show how lame some of these “powers” are.

Hypnotism
Reprogram people to do what you want with a long conversation and a Charm roll.

Imbue Power
Temporarily give something/something else one of your Spook powers. Don’t take this at level 1, obviously.

Immune to…
There’s one of these for fire and one for electricity.

Inhuman Beauty
Get +1 to Charm and reaction rolls. I’m including this to show how lame some of these “powers” are.

Intoxicating Blood
Like hypnotism, but you feed people your blood to activate it.

Leech Vitality
Inflict the Fatigued condition when you deal damage to an enemy’s Flesh. Fatigued is one of those things that sucks for a player character but means nothing to an NPC, since it governs healing grit from sleeping.

Mad Insight
Boosts Forensics and Translation, and lets you use the Visual Calculus skill from Disco Elysium. Would be great if this game was a murder mystery game, instead of a murder… game.

Magical Prodigy
+1 to your chance to read scrolls and activate blessings given by Mystics. You still can’t cast spells yourself.

Memory Worm
Erase yourself from the memory of people who encounter you.

Poltergeist
Lets a ghost interact with the physical world.

Putrefy
Destroy living tissue through necrosis. Deals constant damage to grappled targets.

Rusting Touch
You’re a rust monster. You can delete people’s items by hitting them.

Shadow Tentacle
You can create a tentacle that slaps people around and manipulates objects. It has 1 HP and dies if anyone shines light on it.

Silent
Gives bonuses to stealth when sound is a factor, as opposed to the one that just gives straight bonuses to stealth.

Smell Magic
Detect magic, but with your nose.

Vanish
Turn invisible. Only gives a +2 to Stealth, putting it roughly on par with the other abilities that also do that.

War Form
Turn into something that does more damage than your regular form, but lacks fine dexterity and the power of speech.

Webs
You can shoot webs.

How do I feel about the Spook abilities? I think most of them are useless, or at best not enough to build a character around. I skipped a lot that just give you a breath attack or claws or teeth or other stuff that’s mechanically less useful than just carrying a gun. There are a few that could be super interesting, and a whole lot that might be cool if you combine them. By rules as written, you’re going to be level one for a long, long time. Better pick something good at first level.

I’ve had a few Spook characters in my two campaigns of Esoteric Enterprises, and only a couple who ever made it past level one. Not because the rest died in droves, it's an open table and a lot of people only ever do one session. Both of my successful Spooks took the fairy origin package. One took memory worm and some movement powers, the other took ambush surgeon and a couple stealth abilities. Both were fun characters who contributed a lot to the group.

Up next: Spellcasting, Miscasting, basic Cults and the Spell List (if I can fit it all in the same post!)

PurpleXVI posted:

Agree completely, but remember that in this type of grog game, Stealth being a solo activity that one character does ahead of the group is considered a feature, not a bug. There are a lot of reasons for this, but a lot of it comes down to something called "role protection". Simply put, this is the belief that if you let the stealth character make all the other characters stealthy, it removes what's special and unique about the stealth character. Same with a fightsman making the group better at fighting, etc.

(I do think having the stealthiest character scout ahead is an interesting solution to the possibility of an ambush. By having a picket who detects encounters before they detect you, the players can potentially negate the number one source of instant death in the game)

PurpleXVI posted:

Ah, but the skill system here is D6 roll under, meaning the difficulties are static. If you want to gauge the group's chance of success, just multiply the fractions together. If we have a group with 5, 2, 1, 1 and 1 stealth, we multiply 5/6 by 2/6, 1/6, 1/6 and 1/6. Thus, there's a 10/7776 (or 5/3888) chance everyone in the group succeeds. Couldn't be simpler!

In all seriousness, I think this also comes back to role protection as a design goal. Specific characters being good at specific things that everyone else isn't allowed to do is considered acceptable and even desirable by the people who write this genre of game.

(Except then, the spell list includes stuff that lets magic users stomp all over other class' niches. Maybe it's not role protection at all, maybe the skill system is something else the designer just ported over from Lamentations and called good)

When I run the game (I'll post my houserules and link play reports and so on at the end) I'm a lot more generous with the skills than the book recommends. I don't find it exciting when players immediately discount things as an option because they think they'll immediately fail.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Conclusion

Format

I’d like to call the layout “clean”, but mostly it’s just empty. No border art, no color, no layout tricks, just two columns of text with the occasional picture or chart through the whole book. It does the job well enough, there’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just not what I’m used to. The sheer quantity of text can get overwhelming, especially since the type is small and close together and art is thin on the ground. Speaking of which, the art isn’t as rare as I thought when I started the review, but the book has a nasty habit of throwing down diagrams and art interchangeably, which makes parsing everything a little bit more tiring, plus the uneven spread of illustrations leaves an uneven impression in a reader’s mind; certain planes stick out unfairly because they get more art while important ones without visual aids can drown in the complexity of their writing.

Writing

Speaking of which, aside from frequent dropped mechanics and unclear references, I’d say the writing holds together pretty well. It suffers from mixing fluff and crunch where the two don’t belong, but it rarely obscures anything; the fluff tends to get the point across without overstaying its welcome, while the crunch (when not immersed in the fluff) gets in, gets its business done, and gets out with great efficiency. It ain’t Tolstoy, but it is readable and comprehensible. The big issue is the editing, because so many bits of crunch throughout the book lack the context you need to use them right. Like, I don’t mean the information got buried in the fluff like sometimes happens, it is that they are in the first place. I noted several points throughout the book in the review where some rule ambiguity can lead to unclear results or require DM intervention. It’s not like it breaks the book, it’s just annoying. Also, I appreciate how they include headers in the corners of the pages that tell you exactly where you are. It's a nice touch, especially in a physical book, but even in a PDF it helps you orient yourself if you hamfist page down and end up somewhere else in the document.

Side note, according to the book, it’s not Dungeons & Dragons, it’s not AD&D, it’s “the AD&D game®”. They use that specific phrasing any time it comes up. I find that amusing, though I’m not sure why.

Contents

And all that said… Grubb, buddy, I love you, I love your work, but you managed to write something completely useless and pass it off as a proper supplement. He warned us in the introduction that he prioritized connecting the dots and providing infrastructure over exploring everything in depth, but that backfired and left the book without nearly enough adventure hooks or specific locations or interesting characters for the average DM to make use of. And it’s a shame, because the end result, while overcomplicated, has so much flavor to it; there are so many interesting places to explore and things to encounter scattered throughout this book. But it’s hard to structure and adventure or campaign around anything in it without anything to latch onto.

And speaking of structuring adventures: throughout this review, I’ve used :smugwizard: to mark occasions where a party has to rely on their magic-user (or cleric or druid, sometimes) to survive. Granted, I’ve played fast and loose with :smugwizard: criteria, and in reality a mixture of guides and magic items can probably negate a lot of it. But the sheer variety of conditions adventurers are likely to encounter plus the ways magic items tend to lose potency the further away from your Prime Material you get plus the way clerics and druids lose the ability to access their powers if they’re too far out equals an environment where your Wizard is by far the most important party member. Everyone else becomes auxiliary. Depending on how your group’s dynamics shake out, you’ll likely end up with either a socially dominant wizard escorted by peons or a put upon wizard who does nothing except keep the rest of the party alive, neither of which keeps everybody happy. I can't say that makes the book BAD, just unbalanced, and it puts a lot of onus on the DM to keep everybody happy. On top of having to generate things from scratch just to run a campaign in the Planes. I’ve mentioned this before and I want to reiterate: I think this book started life as an internal reference document in TSR. Between the tone, the lack of ornamentation, and the paucity of hooks, it reads like it was designed to help adventure designers within the company keep their work lined up with the rest of their product. From there, the higher-ups decided to publish it, had the book edited and be-art-ed, and presented it as a brand-new sourcebook. It would explain a lot about the form that the Manual of the Planes took. But I suppose that’s impossible to know unless Grubb or something drops by the thread to tell us. But then, I wasn’t expecting Autochthonia’s editor to do the same so :shrug:

So that’s the book. But that’s not where we and the review, because the most interesting things about this book exist entirely separate from it (gently caress you deconstructionism).

Context

This book was published in 1984. That same year, a social worker named Kathleen MacFarlane went before Congress to testify that children across the United States were being secretly abused by organized Satanist cults; she helped stoke the flames of a moral panic that soon swept across the United States and then into the rest of the world. This Satanic Panic targeted a wide variety of industries, organizations, and even individuals (some attacked by the movement eventually committed suicide) before burning out when the public grew bored of endless witchhunts and investigators failed to turn up any evidence to back their claims up with and keep the outrage going. Dungeons & Dragons was hit especially hard, given its association with magic, demonic creatures, and socially-awkward nerds that made easy targets for those afraid of outsiders and misfits. D&D weathered the storm, of course – it’s not like people are still playing its descendants – but the successors to the Manual of the Planes underwent a lot of censorship to try and avert criticism; historical gods vanished, daemons, devils, and demons had their names changed, and by the time Planescape proper developed the whole thing looked wildly different from its predecessor.

But the proto-Planescape in the Manual of the Planes is dry and uninteresting compared to its successor. Planescape added almost every iconic elements of the setting during or after the Satanic Panic, including Sigil, the Blood War, and all sorts of specific elements of the type that the Manual of the Planes disdained. People still page through Planescape books today, but they rarely look at the Manual of the Planes. I can’t speak to how much of a role the Panic played into Planescape’s development in anything other than general terms; I wasn’t alive at that point, it’s not like I saw it go down. But to me that dichotomy between the two versions feels like a reaction to pressure that turned a lump of coal into a diamond; that desire to avoid political weakness led to a richer product. I strongly invite any readers who saw it happen or know more about Planescape to tell me how I am or are not wrong; let me know in your post if you want me to include it in here and I’ll add it. In and of itself, the Manual of the Planes isn’t that interesting. It’s got a lot of upsides, but it fell flat on its face when it came to leveraging them. I think the most interesting thing about it is the way in which it failed to impact his legacy – the stuff other writers chose to leave out and how the setting evolved from its origins. Cythereal (I think it was you?), if you still intend to review the 3.5 version, I’d love to see how this all looks further down the line, after the development builds off this book’s successors.

That was a really confused way to put that but I think it was clear enough to work.

That said, thank you all for joining me on this journey through elemental animals, :smugwizard:, and culturally insensitive portrayals of other people’s religions. Tomorrow I’ll start reviewing a PbtA hack about magical girls.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The original Manual of the Planes was one of my first AD&D supplements (mostly for the Astral Dreadnought on the cover), and while I have a soft spot for it... well, the only really interesting thing in it is a reference to the 'Demiplane of Imprisonment' that implies both Lovecraftian bullshit and Ravenloft. It's like the Wilderness/Dungeoneer's Survival Guides, only with explicit need for :smugwizard:.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

In 2nd ed Planescape the "Concordant Opposition" becomes the Outlands and has a bit more going for it, including some actual realms(like Ilsensine's, located there not because Ilsensine is Neutral, but because Ilsensine is beyond alignment to the point of being an enemy of all existence. There's in fact a very evocative 2e adventure about this... which I should absolutely review), the various gatetowns leading to the planes from the Outlands being quite detailed(in retrospect it seems odd that portals BETWEEN the planes don't also often have gatetowns, you'd figure they'd be natural trade hubs and the like, or fortresses if the alignments are very opposed). One of the big notable things, and also terrible decisions, was that Planescape's Outlands have their own variant of planar creature, the Rilmani and their job... is to make sure that nothing changes. Like literally their job is to travel the world, even the Primes, and find people about to change things and then just annihilate them.

The Outlands also stopped having quite as much of the whole subjective nature, became more of an objectively defined place, though at least in the fandom it was still considered to be a somewhat weird place. The official lore is that the farther out you get in the Outlands, like if you walk past the Gatetowns and just keep going out, the weirder the plane gets. And it hints that there may be gates to unknown planes out there. Also one thing I've seen as common fan-canon is that while you lose spell level access while approaching the Spire, you gain them while heading into the Hinterlands beyond the gate towns, allowing spells of 10th level and upwards to be used. Of course few to no such spells are officially statted in AD&D in any supplements.

They also removed the "too close to the Spire and everything ends"-effect and the Spire only affects arcane and divine magic and powers that replicate them.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
ESOTERIC ENTERPRISES PART 6: MAGIC

In this section, we’ll cover the basic spellcasting rules, specific rules for Occultists and Mystics, cults, and miscast tables.

GENERAL SPELLCASTING
This section is pretty slim. There’s a paragraph about how writing scrolls uses magical reagents that have to be randomly determined, a paragraph about identifying spells other people cast (just eyeball it), and an admonishment that characters who aren’t Occultists or Mystics can’t cast spells, only activate blessings and read scrolls (with a Translation roll, so good luck with that).

OCCULTIST SPELLCASTING
This section starts with a refresher on the basic concept of casting a spell from a spell slot, but also mentions that you can fill a spell slot with a higher level spell than the spell slot (eg put a level 3 spell in a level 1 slot) if you’re prepared to roll a Save vs Magic and risk rolling on a deadly miscast table.

If an Occultist finds a spellbook in the wild, they can transcribe the spells from that book into their own personal grimoire for memorization/casting. Doing so requires a Translation roll, and if you fail that there’s a deadly miscast table. Do you see a trend here? Transcribing the spell also takes downtime and magical reagents, which are randomly determined on a deadly miscast table harmless table of magical reagents.

Occultists can cast spells experimentally. Casting experimentally lets you do things like reverse a spell’s effect (enlarge becomes shrink, hold portal becomes knock, etc), change a spell’s area of effect, change the targeting conditions, affect the spell’s range, etc. When you cast experimentally, you roll a Save vs Magic. What happens if you fail? Can you say “deadly miscast table”?

We get a more detailed description of how creating scrolls (prepackaged, single use spells) works. It takes a random magical reagent for each level of the spell being scribed to the scroll.

There are also rules for creating entirely new spells. These essentially combine the rules for casting experimentally with the rules for transcribing new spells to your spellbook. Two rolls, two deadly miscast tables.

So with all these deadly miscast tables floating around, why did I say in the character creation chapter that the Occultist was better than the Mystic in every way? Because the Occultist only rolls for miscast spells if they go outside the window of stuff they can reliably do without rolling. The Mystic can’t do ANYTHING without rolling.

MYSTIC SPELLS
Mystics get a set spell list determined by what god they worship - either randomly generated by rolling spells during chargen, or chosen from a list of premade gods that appears later in the book. They can’t learn new spells from spellbooks, only by leveling up and getting more from their deity.

Mystics don’t use spell slots. They can access their entire inventory of spells at any time as many times as they want. But each time they try to cast a spell, they have to roll Charm. If they succeed, the spell goes off. If not, they roll on a miscast table to see what happens instead. The base charm is 1/6 and the Mystic doesn’t get a bonus to it.

Mystics can also cast experimentally, which suggests that maybe the experimental casting rules should have gone under the general spellcasting rules explanation rather than the Occultist rules explanation.

But hey, are you tired of rolling your Charm skill and failing to cast any spells? Do you want to give someone else the ability to roll their Charm skill and fail to cast spells?

Esoteric Enterprises, Page 74 posted:

When the rite is completed, the mystic chooses a spell which their patron has granted them. The recipient of the blessing gains the ability to cast this spell once as if they were a mystic, requiring a successful Charm skill roll to do so. They do not need a holy symbol to do this. They cannot use experimental magic when casting in this way; the spell is cast exactly as normal.
When the blessing’s recipient attempts to cast the spell, they do not need to roll for The Fickle Whims Of The Divine if they fail. However, regardless of if the spell passes or fails, the mystic must roll on table 49 (The Cost of Holiness). If there are requirements before the spell can be cast, then the mystic needs to complete these before the subject of the blessing can use the spell. The mystic is aware that the subject has attempted to use their blessing, and both the mystic and the recipient know what they must do.
Wow! So not only does the other player get to roll their lovely 1 in 6 Charm, but I get a miscast effect even if they succeed!

I am angry. ANGRY ABOUT MYSTICS. Let’s digress for a second into the next section of the Mystic rules, which is actually pretty cool and flavorful, and I’d like a lot if it wasn’t married to a class that sucked.

CULTS
Mystics worship mysterious patrons that give them magic powers, right? So here are a handful of pre-built gods to choose from, if you don’t want to make your own or roll randomly. Each comes with a spell list, which replaces the first spell of each level you get (so you get one predetermined level 1 spell and roll for the other, then when you get your first level 2 spell it’s predetermined, etc).

Non Mystics can choose to worship the same god as a Mystic in their party. This gives them a bonus to Charm rolls when activating blessings from that god’s followers, but renders them unable to use blessings from other gods. I’ve never seen a player cast a blessing, but it’s a nice touch from a flavor perspective.

So what are our choices for gods?

Esoteric Enterprises, Page 75 posted:

Anassa
The spider-queen. She who spins her webs across the earth, nudging and guiding humanity towards their destiny. The mistress of arachnids, the greatest schemer, the swarm-who-rules-the-dark. Her cultists are everywhere, their goals inscrutable and their actions subtle and inexplicable.

The Black Goat
Moloch, Pan, Baphomet, Shub Niggurath, Baal. The wild, savage thing in the dark forests, whose cultists have terrified the church for millennia. Patron of wild things and madness, who presides over black masses and blood-soaked, howling rites beneath the moon.

Dis Pater
Hades, Saturn, Orcus, Nergaal, Anubis and Pluto. The sepulchral lord of the underworld. The king of Sheol. His worshippers tend to the dead, watching over places where the departed rest and turning thanatropic energies against those who would defy mortality.

Ithaqua
The white silence, the great wendigo. Hungry beast of the arctic. Ithaqua is the undeniable sovereign of the frozen north. He is winter personified, its harsh and relentless grasp embodied in a huge, emaciated form that stalks the wilderness. Its worshippers can be said less to revere it and more to appease it, offering sacrifice so that it might turn its attention elsewhere.

The Leviathan
The ancient beast of the deep ocean, lord of the Aboleths and Krakens. The tentacle, piscine dreamer who shall one day rise to flood the world. The creator of the undines, the sculptor of the flesh of Innesmouth, who dreamed into being Mother Hydra and who’s nightmares spawned Charybdis. It’s cultists dwell in the dark and the damp, hoping to share in their patron’s world-altering slumber and dream a new world into being.

Saint Judas Thaddeus
The patron saint of lost causes and desperation. Frequently confused with the betrayer, Judas Iscariot, Judas Thaddeus is a figure venerated as a bringer of hope to the hopeless. He is the saint who intervenes when all seems lost and disaster imminent. His followers work to raise up the downtrodden, and cast down the mighty and untouchable.

The Void
The empty, hungry space that lies between stars and atoms, ever devouring, the antithesis of matter and light.
Cultists of the void worship negation and oblivion. They are not well trusted.

Vor Glaurung
The incarnate majesty of light, the rainbow that dances. A sentience composed of fractally refracting light waves, an illusion created by the minds of its cultists. The bringer of the truth that reality is less than a lie, merely an agreed-upon consensus, with no inherent meaning. The image is not the thing, but Vor Glaurung is entirely image with no substance.
Very evocative, though there’s a bit too many inscrutable schemes and unknowable alien entities, leaving the player with little idea how to actually portray a worshipper of the god. I think most people are going to choose based on the spell list (Leviathan and Judas are the two obvious winners, with Cure Wounds and Sleep respectively) and worry about theming later.

But I promised you deadly miscast tables, so let’s see some deadly miscast tables!

MISCAST TABLES
There are a lot of these. One for each type of spellcasting failure, and one cascading table that the other tables can send you to. They all use a D20. I’m going to give you three of them verbatim, because I think an undiluted dose of this book’s peculiar flavor will show you why I keep complaining about it, but also why it’s interesting enough to write up in the first place.

First, the Fragility of mortal Minds. You roll on this one when the Occultist fails a Save vs Magic while casting a spell that’s too high for the spell slot it was memorized in

The Fragility of Mortal Minds posted:

1 Pressure builds in the magician’s cranium. They take d6 damage to Flesh. If this drops them to 0, their skull explodes, killing them and dealing another d6 damage to those nearby as shards of skull hit them (a Save vs Hazards negates this damage).

2 The spell is a dud. Nothing happens, and the memorized spell is wasted.

3 The spell doesn’t want to be used, and the magic squirms in place rather than being cast. Nothing happens yet, but the memorized spell is not used up and the magician can try to cast it again.

4 For the next turn, whenever anybody nearby speaks, the words come out of their mouths as colourful floating bubbles that hang in the air. When a bubble is popped, the words are released all at once. The same applies to any cast spells.

5 The magic burns out uselessly. Nothing happens, and the memorized spell is wasted. If the magician has any other spells memorized, then another memorized spell of the magician’s choice is lost as well.

6 Everybody and everything nearby suddenly ages by 3d6 years. Roll for breakage for any items not safely packed away.

7 The magician catches a glimpse of a fixed point in the future, but has no idea what the glimpse means or how it might come to pass. The magician picks a dice of any size and rolls it, recording the result. Thereafter, they can – after seeing the result – choose to replace the result of any dice roll (for dice of that size) with the recorded result. They get to do this once, and then the prophecy has fulfilled itself.

8 Characters’ madness starts to shape reality to match it. For every insanity, delusion, or similar that a character has picked up (including restrictions placed on a mystic), they can improve an attribute of their choice by 1. Characters that are insane for no mechanical reason (merely due to interesting role-playing) can get a point to spend in the same way, at the GM’s whim.

9 The magician gains a halo of dripping blood, rusty iron, flame, writing, burnished gold, or flowers (randomly determine which) that hangs above their head. It’s there for the next turn, hour, day or lifetime (randomly determine which).

10 Insects and vermin creep from the surroundings, forming a ring around the magician and watching them in rapt attention.

11 The magician’s chest rips open, splitting along the sternum and splaying out like the pages of a book. The magician takes damage to their flesh equal to the rank of the spell. Among the viscera and organs, membranes have written upon them all the spells the magician has memorized at the point their chest opens. Their innards can be read like a spellbook; opening them up deals d6 damage to their flesh if they’re alive when it happens.

12 The magician’s mind fails to withstand the pressure of the magic, and their personality is warped as a result. Their dreams are troubled by visions of the deep past, when ancestral humans dug up ancient relics from beneath the polar ice cap, unleashing the power of magic on the world. They gain double XP for recovering treasure that is magically powerful or significant, but no XP for mundane treasure. If the magician already suffers from this madness, then it will spread to another person present as well.

13 The magician’s mind fails to withstand the pressure of the magic, resulting in cracks that let in alien memories. They dream of the ancient civilization of serpent folk, in whose subterranean cities vast numbers of Morlock slaves had their hearts ripped out and offered as sacrifice to the serpents’ alien gods. They become obsessed with the power of these terrible beings. The magician gains no XP for treasure that was found above ground, but double XP for treasure found underground. If the magician already suffers from this madness, then it will spread to another person present as well.

14 The magician’s mind fails to withstand the pressure of magic, and they suffer horribly as a result. They believe themselves cursed, fated to suffer some grim death. They cannot gain XP unless they have suffered damage to their flesh (that wasn’t self-inflicted) that has not yet healed. If the magician already suffers from this madness, then it will spread to another person present as well.

15 The magician’s mind fails to withstand the pressure of magic, and the void starts to seep into them. If they are ever in absolute darkness (the kind only found underground), they start bleeding out immediately, blood dripping from their nose as the void coils around their brain. If the magician already suffers from this affliction, then it will spread to another person present as well.

16 The magician’s mind fails to withstand the pressure of magic, and their psyche is altered as a result. They become a compulsive killer, collecting little talismans of meat and bone from their victims. For every enemy they kill who posed some threat to them, they may take a trophy. If they do, they get 50 XP per hit dice of that enemy. If the magician already suffers from this madness, then it will spread to another person present as well.

17 Everybody nearby sees a sudden glimpse of one of the following, permanently improving one of their attributes by d4 but reducing their maximum flesh and grit by 1 each. A realm of pulsating flesh and sinew (strength improves), the multiple dimensions of time flowing parallel to our own time-stream (dexterity improves), the peaceful gardens of dead souls in the spirit world (constitution improves), a crowd of eager post-human beings from the distant future who gibber prophesies (intelligence improves), the infinite cosmic cycle of the universe as one beautiful machine (wisdom improves) or the lost serpent-folk kingdoms, glistening with the blood of live sacrifices and filled with exotic, opulent treasures (charisma improves). Randomly determine which for each person.

18 Somebody random nearby is host to an ophidian sage: their eye pops neatly out. From the space behind it, a sinuous red serpent appears, asking those present what they wish to know in a lilting voice. It answers each question as honestly as it can. It knows only what the party might know themselves, if they were playing at peak efficiency and picked up on every dropped hint. It knows all the secrets that they didn’t notice, and how the choices they didn’t take would probably play out. The snake is polite, if a little condescending. Every question it answers deals 1 damage to the host. Once no more questions are asked of it, it slithers back into the host’s skull, replacing the eye behind it. Once somebody has hosted the snake, they never will again.

19 The magician realises that hidden beings are constantly watching them and judging their actions. When they die, the fate of their soul depends on these beings’ judgement. When they die, the magician must make a Save vs Magic. They improve their save by 5 if they generally behaved virtuously in life, and it is five points worse if they generally behaved wickedly; the GM chooses which modifier to apply. If the save is passed, the magician is judged favourably; when that player rolls their next character’s attributes, they treat all 5s as 6s. If they fail, the magician’s soul is condemned; when that player rolls their next character’s attributes, they treat all 6s as 5s. If this result is rolled again, the problem passes onto another PC nearby as well.

20 Something goes badly wrong: roll on table 51 (And Hell Shall Follow).

The Fickle Whims of the Divine, for when the Mystic fails their Charm roll to cast a spell. If you are an Mystic you will roll on this table almost every time you cast a spell, so pay attention.

The Fickle Whims of the Divine posted:

1 The patron demands a sacrifice of blood; d4 flesh points either from the Mystic or other willing supplicants. The blood does not need to be drawn out all at once. When the sacrifice has been offered, the spell will take effect.

2 The patron demands a sacrifice of a particular animal. The animal will always be one in some way significant to the patron’s nature. The patron will always demand the same animal sacrifice. When the sacrifice has been offered, the spell will take effect.

3 The patron demands a sacrifice of a full thousand dollars of cash, burned. When the sacrifice has been offered, the spell will take effect.

4 The patron demands that the mystic destroy either a magical item or else a shrine or idol of a rival being. When this has been done, the spell will take effect.

5 The patron demands the sacrifice of either an eye, tooth, tongue or finger taken from a Human victim. When the sacrifice has been offered, the spell will take effect.

6 The patron requires adulation. After a total of 2d6 rounds have been spent singing the patron’s praises, the spell will take effect.

7 The patron requires an idol of it be made; an image representing it will be burned into the mystics mind. When an idol has been made and consecrated, the spell will take effect. The mystic can cast no other spells until this is done.

8 The patron requires a show of faith from the mystic; they must travel to some nearby site appropriate to the patron‘s nature, such as a mountain-peak, deep cave or temple, and remain there in meditation for a full day. When this is done, the spell will take effect. The mystic can cast no other spells until this is done.

9 The patron places a restriction upon the mystic. From now on, some activity antithetical to their patron’s nature is forbidden. Should the mystic perform such an act, they immediately take d12 damage from a bolt of lightning from the sky, sudden bleeding from the eyes, or similar. The spell does not take effect.

10 The patron requires a daily ceremony from the mystic. Either at sunrise, midday, sunset or midnight, the mystic must perform some small rite of thanks to their patron. Failure to do so will result in the mystic losing the ability to cast spells at all for a full day, and d4 damage. If this result is rolled a further time, the penalty for missing this supplication increases by a day and a dice-size. The spell does not take effect.

11 The patron requires a ceremony from the mystic every time they would perform some everyday activity such as eating, sleeping, preparing food or dressing. Failure to do so will result in the mystic losing the ability to cast spells at all for a full day, and d4 damage. If this result is rolled a further time, the penalty for missing this supplication increases by a day and a dice-size. The spell does not take effect.

12 The patron requires daily sacrifice. Roll a d6 on this table to determine what is required. Each day, either at sunrise, midday, sunset or midnight, the mystic must offer this sacrifice. Failure to do so will result in the mystic losing the ability to cast spells at all for a full day. If this result is rolled a further time, the penalty for missing this supplication increases by a day. The spell takes effect normally.

13 The mystic is required to spread their patron’s image. Each day, they must put a temporary shrine, icon, relic, holy symbol or other devotional symbol of their patron somewhere it will be found by mundane civilians. Failure to do so will result in the mystic losing the ability to cast spells at all for a full day. If this result is rolled a further time, the penalty for missing this supplication increases by a day. The spell takes effect normally.

14 The mystic is forbidden from using some weapon or technique in combat (such as surprise attacks, guns, edged weapons, unarmed combat, sparing defeated enemies, using spells, or similar). Should they break this prohibition, they immediate start bleeding out and contract Wound Infestation as their patron punishes them for breaking the prohibition. If this result is rolled a further time, the mystic acquires an additional prohibition in combat. The spell takes effect normally.

15 A mark or likeness of the patron is permanently burnt into the mystic’s flesh somewhere prominent, appearing as a scar or birthmark. The spell does not take effect.

16 The patron decides to mould their mystic’s capabilities. The mystic loses a point from a randomly chosen attribute, and gains a point of another random attribute. The spell does not take effect.

17 The patron decides to grant their mystic new gifts. The mystic forgets the spell they just tried to cast, which does not take effect, and instead learns a new random spell of the same level.

18 The mystic is knocked unconscious for d4 rounds, during which they experience strange hallucinatory visions of their patron. When they awaken, the spell takes effect, and roll on table 44 (The Fragility Of Mortal Minds) for the resulting psychic fallout.

19 The spell has no effect, and the mystic cannot use that spell again for the remainder of the day as the patron grows irritated with them. They can, however, use any other spell normally. The mystic also suffers psychic backlash as their patron’s favour is withdrawn; roll on table 44 (The Fragility Of Mortal Minds)

20 The spell takes effect normally. For 2d6 rounds, the mystic is filled with the their patron’s power, and may show signs such as glowing eyes, feet not touching the ground as they walk, a coating of frost, and so forth. During this time, they must cast a spell they know each round, without needing a Charm skill roll. However, their mortal body is not suited to such exertion, and each spell they cast in this way deals a point of damage to their flesh when the power finally leaves them.

And finally, the table you roll on when you roll badly on the other tables: And Hell Shall Follow.

And Hell Shall Follow posted:

1 A channel to the hungering Void between the stars opens up at the magicians feet. It’s an empty hole, black and sucking in everything. Save vs Hazards to avoid falling in. Everybody within ten feet loses a point of flesh every round. Everybody within one hundred feet loses a point of flesh every turn. Everybody within a thousand feet loses a point of flesh every day. The Void is there forever now. The area will start to spawn Paradox Beasts. Cultists of the Void start making pilgrimages to the area.

2 Everybody present realises... Something. In a last ditch-effort to preserve its integrity, reality erases the knowledge from their minds before they can act on it. Everybody gains an appropriate insanity, and must re-roll their Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores. It doesn’t entirely work, however. There are things outside the physical world, and they want the knowledge locked in the characters’ heads. Everywhere they pass, hauntings will spring up as these beings reach towards them.

3 All corpses nearby are resurrected as undead creatures. For a single round, they will be busy resurrecting, but from that point on they will single-mindedly try to eradicate all living beings. Reasonably intact parts of corpses (heads, limbs or organs) similarly resurrect, but probably can’t do much beyond flop about.

4 An Aboleth awakens from strange aeons of death-torpor in the depths of the earth, its attention drawn to those present. It blames them for waking it, and will methodically hunt them down one by one and kill them before returning to dormancy.

5 Mathematics unravels slightly. For every item a character has, they get an extra one of that item. They lose a point of dexterity and intelligence; all the angles are wrong now, the numbers don’t add up. They can tell things are wrong. Nobody else notices.

6 The magician’s personality is erased as some intelligence from another plane of existence takes up residence behind the magician’s eyes. It is a level 15 Mystic, and it has Big Plans for this dimension.

7 The area becomes slightly radioactive. Plants that grow here will be physically distorted, and animals are likely to be chimeras. People born after a pregnancy where too much time was spent here are likely to be mutated and become Spooks. Sleeping in the area puts a person at risk of radiation sickness (Save vs Poison to avoid). Radiation sickness is a disease with incubation time 1 week, saves every week and permanently reducing a random attribute by 1 for each failed save. It cannot be recovered from for as long as the victim remains near the source of radiation.

8 Everybody nearby must make a Save against Magic; those who fail immediately fall asleep and dream of the empire of serpent-folk in the distant past. Their visions cause them to permanently lose a point of constitution and charisma, and to gain exactly enough XP to reach their next level. Their skin takes on a scaly sheen.

9 Purifying fire sweeps in to wipe away whatever is starting to go wrong here. 5d6 damage, save vs Hazards for half.

10 Flesh nearby re-knits itself into strange new shapes. Everybody re-rolls their Constitution score on 3d6. For those that rolled doubles: On 1s, they are rendered lame, halving their movement speeds. On 2s, they lose the use of one hand. On 3s, their skin is thin and fragile, -2 AC On 4s, they become hideously ugly, -1 to all reaction rolls. On 5s, they lose an eye, taking -1 to skill rolls and -3 to rolls on a d20 that rely on vision. On 6s, they are physically frail, -3 Flesh, down to a minimum of 1. For those that rolled triples: On 1s, they grow an extra arm, and can carry an extra thing in combat. On 2s, their legs are supple and fast, double their movement speed. On 3s, their fingers grow long and sharp, letting them deal d6 damage with unarmed attacks. On 4s, their body is protected by a shell of keratin, +2 AC. On 5s, they’re hefty and solid, +3 flesh. On 6s, they’re a true monster; +1 to all physical attribute modifiers and they also get all the other results for rolling triples. Regardless of the outcome, everybody is obviously mutated from now own.

11 The magician’s head explodes. 2d10 damage to their flesh, d10 damage to everybody nearby. No saves.

12 The magician’s skin shift slightly. Each night, when they sleep, an apple emerges from their navel on a thin, sinewy cord. If eaten, it creates a state of delirium; each apple is a dose of a narcotic, that applies a -2 penalty to Dexterity and Intelligence modifiers. The delirium lasts for a turn. Whilst delirious, the eater improves their Save vs Magic by 5.

13 Blood rains from the sky or ceiling, thick, sticky and with chunks of wet meat and gristle in it. The downpour is torrential, and leaves the area slick and wet. It stinks of death. Each round, save vs stunning to avoid spending your action retching.

14 A memetic virus infects the mind of somebody present. Treat it as a disease, but using Saves vs Stunning rather than Poison. The incubation time is one turn, and saves are taken each turn thereafter. For each failed save, the sufferer babbles fractally dense nonsense, taking d4 damage to their Intelligence. Everybody hearing it must make a Save vs Stunning or be infected by the meme-virus too.

15 Everybody’s belly churns and bulges. The impressions of limbs and mandibles press through their skin. There are Paradox Beasts growing in them. They can slice the belly open and pull the paradox beasts out (2d6 damage to flesh, or d6 if the surgeon doing the work passes a Medicine skill roll). Otherwise, the beast will rip it’s way out anyway in 2d4 rounds, birthing itself in a welter of blood and tainted amniotic fluids, and dealing 2d6 damage to flesh as it exits. Each paradox beast has as many hit-dice as it spent gestating in the host’s flesh.

16 D6+2 ropy grey tendrils, as thick as a human arm and twenty feet long, burst from the ground. They grapple living things (starting with the tastiest-smelling) with a strength of 18, dragging them closes to the churning maw at their centre. Each tendril has AC 14, 5 flesh, and saves of 12+. Anything thrust into the maw takes d6 damage to intelligence each round their there as the maw feeds on their mental energies, leaving them a drooling husk. For each person killed by the intelligence damage, another tendril emerges.

17 The magician vomits a glut of blood and bits of lung and throat-lining. In the gore, there are squirming creatures, like a mixture of crab and spider and toad. There’s d6+1 of them, and each is a 1-hit-dice paradox beast.

18 Ants, maggots and other tiny vermin start to follow the magician for the next thirteen days. They have a trail of the things behind them, like a wedding dress dragging along the floor, and if they try to squash or insecticide them more emerge to take their place.

19 Somewhere in the depths of the earth, an engine of the Serpent-Folk stirs. It senses an anomaly, and is coming to investigate.

20 The world warps itself to conform with the desires of those present. Everybody gets to pick one:
• They add d4 to an attribute of their choice.
• Their Resources improves by d4.
• They learn an extra spell of their choice (it appears in their spellbook for Magicians) if a spellcaster.
• They learn an extra Monstrous Power of their choice, even if not a Spook.
• A dead person they care about returns from the grave, undead and possibly rather decayed and very confused, but otherwise fine.
The gift comes at cost: all their XP totals to gain new levels are doubled from now on.

There are four other tables I’m not reproducing here, each with twenty more possible results (all including one that sends you to the Hell Shall Follow table).
  • What Has Your Hubris Wrought? For use when the Occultist fails their save vs Magic to cast experimentally. Similar to Mortal Minds.
  • Matters Beyond Your Ken, for when a non-spellcaster fails a Translation roll to read a scroll. Minor weirdness with a few permanent catastrophic results mixed in.
  • Translation Accidents, for when the Occultist fails their Translation roll to get spells out of another caster’s spellbook. Similar to Matters Beyond Your Ken.
  • The Cost of Holiness table, for when someone ELSE tries to use one of the Mystic’s blessings and fails. Also if they succeed, but what are the odds of that? About 1 in 6. This one’s basically a milder version of the Fickle Whims table.
Whew! That’s a lot of miscast tables!

What do I think of them? They’re flavorful and some of them inflict interesting consequences for dangerous activities, while others end the game for the whole group because you had the temerity to read from a scroll, or cast a spell as a Mystic. All of the tables are too complex, too verbose, and there are too drat many of them. This isn’t a terrible thing, it’s not like you constantly have to reference this section of the book. Besides the Fickle Whims of the Divine, you’ll be rolling on them pretty rarely, meaning the more outlandish results are unlikely to come up.

The reason why the Mystic table is so awful in practice is that most of the results gate you from being able to cast the spell until you do something inane and time consuming. So you can cast a spell after spending a turn doing some nonsense, but wait: so can the Occultist, by spending a turn casting a spell from their spellbook without memorization! I think you could fix this pretty easily by having the spell go off, and THEN charging the mystic the toll afterwards as penance.

We’ll cover the spell list itself next post, which will finish off the player section of the book entirely.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Esoteric Enterprises has a lot of issues, but it's got so much heart I can't not overlook them. Oh god Emmy put that away there's blood everywhere where did you even get it, etc.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What is it with these Modern Occult games and making spellcasting as dogshit useless as possible? It A) completely undermines the idea that arcane threats are a danger and B) it makes it completely unrewarding for the players to engage with the subsystem at all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PurpleXVI posted:

What is it with these Modern Occult games and making spellcasting as dogshit useless as possible? It A) completely undermines the idea that arcane threats are a danger and B) it makes it completely unrewarding for the players to engage with the subsystem at all.
I would probably blame mindless aping of Mage: the Ascension and Unknown Armies. However, as flawed as those games may be, their magic systems being difficult had a reason, it wasn't just hard like a basic subject at a Catholic university.

I also suppose there's some kind of realism situation here; "if magic was easy, the world wouldn't be recognizable!"

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Nessus posted:

I would probably blame mindless aping of Mage: the Ascension and Unknown Armies. However, as flawed as those games may be, their magic systems being difficult had a reason, it wasn't just hard like a basic subject at a Catholic university.

I also suppose there's some kind of realism situation here; "if magic was easy, the world wouldn't be recognizable!"

Also, the allure of over-the-top crit failure tables means OSR devs often look for opportunities to shove them in, and a miscast table has great potential for cartoonish results given how heavily they associate magic with overwhelming, potentially game-breaking power (see: DnD wizards). Realism helps them justify it.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
ESOTERIC ENTERPRISES PART 7: SPELL LIST

The Esoteric Enterprises spell list is a mixture of Basic D&D standbys, spells from Basic awkwardly hacked into a present-day setting, and new spells. There’s a single spell list for both Mystics and Occultists, no Cleric/Magic User divide. There are twenty spells at each level from 1 to 4, and twelve spells at each level from 5 to 8.

I’m going to cover the highlights of this list since there are lots and lots of spells, and their descriptions aren’t as interesting as the big miscast tables in the last post. The game has all the spells you’d expect from a D&D clone. Invisibility, Fireball, Hold Portal, you get the picture.

RANK 1

Bleeding Curse
Cut yourself for D4 damage, and a target within line of sight begins bleeding out. This is confusing because it uses the term “bleeding out” but the term bleeding out already has a specific meaning in the rules - instant death in rounds equal to HD plus con modifier. This spell specifically doesn’t do that. Instead, the target loses 1 point of HP from flesh per round. Which is small damage but actually pretty powerful, because human opponents never get more than a single die of flesh.

Cure Wounds
There’s no cleric spell list so this one’s just in the pile with everything else. Heals D6 damage to Flesh. Doesn’t restore Grit, but you can restore Grit by resting ten minutes anyway. Rather than go up if you cast it in a higher level spell slot, the HP healed increases by 1 per level of the caster. Expect a lot of spells to work this way.

Freeze the Very Air
Create objects from the moisture in the air. Takes longer in hot conditions, like the guy from the Incredibles. Doesn’t say how large the object can be - if you could make a bridge or a wall. Either way, whatever you make is brittle and has a 1 in 6 chance to break if handled roughly.

Sleep
Roll 2D8, that’s how many hit-dice worth of creatures can be affected with a single casting. They make a Save vs Magic or fall asleep. Then you run away, or you sneak up and bash their brains out. Loud noise or rough handling wakes them up, so be careful. This is a classic for a reason, and widely considered the most powerful Level 1 spell in Basic.

Turn Away Undead
A Cleric-specific ability converted to a general use magic spell. Roll D6 and add your caster level. That many hit-dice worth of undead beings fail morale and flee. Sentient undead get a Save vs Stunning to resist.

RANK 2

Guess Password
Gives you a 50% chance to guess someone’s password. After three failed attempts, you’re locked out. Remember a couple posts ago, when I said that some spells in the spell list were just duplicates of other people’s skills? This one is Technology. Why is this Level 2?

Erase Data
Creates an intelligent electromagnetic pulse that removes information from digital storage media. Yet another Level 2 spell that just duplicates the function of the Technology skill.

Know Guilt
Lets you know what someone feels bad about. Another ability that would be great if this was an investigative game. Potentially lends itself to creative uses I can’t think of right now. Doesn’t work on beings that have no shame.

Techspeak
Interrogate machines by giving them a magic mouth, forcing them to answer questions accurately about anything they know. Sentient machines get a save to avoid revealing their secrets. A reskin of the Level 1 spell Bookspeak, which does the same for books.

Waking Dreams
Removes the target’s need for sleep. Not that useful in its own right, but it also makes the target automatically fail saves vs mind control or illusions. And Waking Dreams itself can’t be saved against, making it a good debuff to apply to a hostile target before zapping them with something else.

RANK 3

Become the Sanctum
Designate an area in which the caster will never again require food, water, or air. Subsequent castings let the caster spy on anything occurring within the sanctum by astrally projecting. Strikes me as a bit useless, unless you also give the sanctum some protection against detection/penetration against hostile NPCs. Then it would be a cool way to set up a base of operations in the underworld.

Flay
Instantly deal D12 damage to a single target’s Flesh. Plus an additional target per caster level. Remember that the average human has between 1 and 10 Flesh. A powerful and very scary spell.

Howl of the Moon
Paint the target with animal blood to make them into a killing machine Slightly increases their Athletics, Perception, to-hit and damage. Overall a thematically interesting spell that’s pretty underwhelming for Level 3.

Octopus Flesh
Turn your bones into rubber. Gives you 6 in 6 Athletics to slither around, and a +1 to Wrestling. Again, cool, but not really Rank 3 material.

Senescence
Ages the target with no saving throw. The kind of thing that really sucks to get hit with as a player, and has almost no mechanical impact when you use it on an NPC.

RANK 4

Dopethrone
Get high, ignore negative modifiers from drugs, see into the future far enough to ignore the consequences of stupid mistakes by retroactively deciding not to do them.

Host the Ophidian Sage
Summon a little snake creature inside your body and feed it blood in exchange for information. “ It answers questions truthfully, but its knowledge is limited. It knows everything the PCs would know if they picked up on every clue, and always drew exactly the correct conclusions”

Parasitic Infestation
Fills the target’s body with gross bugs. Like Bleeding Curse, but deals D4 damage to Flesh per round instead of 1. Save Against Poison to negate the damage each turn.

Remote Operation
Operate a machine or piece of technology remotely. You know, like the Technology skill elts you do.

Spoof Identity
Assume the online and legal identity of a chosen victim. Again, this is what the Technology skill is supposed to do. Except this time it’s a Rank 4 Spell. Rank 4! A spell you get at Level 7!

RANK 5
This level is almost entirely D&D spells

RANK 6
Same

RANK 7

Animate Artwork
Draw something and then bring it to life, giving it the stats of the genuine article. Or worse than the real thing, if you don’t take your time to draw it right. Or you could just animate someone else’s painting.

Flatten
Sweetie, it’s time for your Rank 7 Wizard flattening. It turns you two dimensional, allowing you to slide under doors. It also triples the damage you take from physical attacks. Essentially it’s like mist form, but worse in every way.

Paradoxical Revelation
Speak a great secret of the universe that banishes anything not native to the material world, nukes low HD beings out of existence and paralyzes higher level ones.

Remote Surveillance
Enchant an item that lets you see through the eyes and senses of anyone who carries it. We’re at Rank 7, and we’re still using magic spells to do what the Technology skill did at level 1.

Sculpt Flesh
You know all that experimental medicine stuff that the Doctor does at first level? You get a spell that does that. At Rank 7.

RANK 8

Anti-Technological Shell
Create a temporary area of effect where anything more complex than bronze age technology doesn’t work.

Call Down the Void
Deal massive Charisma damage to everything in an area of effect by opening a portal to another world. Anything reduced to 0 Charisma is deleted from existence. Anything that survives is reduced to a soulless husk. The blast area is rendered hostile to life and deals continuing damage to anyone who remains inside it.

Mind Blank
Makes your mind completely invisible to detection and control, from both magical and technological means.

Time Stop
Stop time for everyone else, giving yourself a few seconds to do whatever you want while they stand there totally defenseless and unaware. This is a D&D standby, I call it out here because there are a LOT of NPCs and monsters we’ll run into later who have it in their back pocket.

Zombie Plague
You know that example consequence of failing experimental medicine, like the Doctor does at level 1? Here’s a highest-rank-in-the-game spell that also does that.

What’s my overall read on the Esoteric Enterprises spell list? Most of the additions it makes are just… not that interesting. They’re either duplicates of things other classes can already do with their skills, or they’re seriously underpowered given their level requirements. There’s not much here that really captures the grimy weirdness of something like Unknown Armies’ postmodern magic.

There are a few exceptions to this. Bleeding Curse and Parasitic Infestation are cool because they deal small amounts of damage, but do so directly to Flesh, making them extremely dangerous. Dopethrone is great, and Flay is absolutely terrifying. But for the most part, the spells the players really want are the ones from the D&D list. Cure Wounds, Sleep, Invisibility, Silence, Fireball.

So what’s the good news? We’re finished with the player facing rules. The next section is all DM facing, and it’s where I gradually stop saying “this is bad” and start saying “this is why I keep coming back to this game”.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Esoteric Enterprises has a lot of issues, but it's got so much heart I can't not overlook them. Oh god Emmy put that away there's blood everywhere where did you even get it, etc.
Don't I know it. It's the Scrubs of RPGs - I tell people I hate it, but I've seen every episode multiple times.

PurpleXVI posted:

Nessus posted:

Falconier111 posted:

Also, the allure of over-the-top crit failure tables means OSR devs often look for opportunities to shove them in, and a miscast table has great potential for cartoonish results given how heavily they associate magic with overwhelming, potentially game-breaking power (see: DnD wizards). Realism helps them justify it.
I respect what the game is trying to do here. It's like pushed rolls in Call of Cthulhu, or Devil's Bargains in Blades in the Dark - you accept risk in order to increase your chances of success. Which is usually more interesting and more fun than just being told "no you can't do it".

The trouble is that most of the mystic miscasts are "no you can't do it".

The Occultist miscasts remind me of Discworld. Magic can "do anything", but if you use it for more than pushing the lunch trolley, you tear open a portal to the Dungeon Dimensions that does 20D6 damage to everyone in the Unseen University.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm reminded of the cast/miscast in Ctech, where it's 'you cast a spell to make people heal slightly faster' versus 'you miscast to rip a screaming tear in the world and your entire party dies instantly'.

gently caress cthulhutech!

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Y'all ready for something completely different from Esoteric Enterprises? Here's Glitter Hearts.

I have no personal connection to magical girl shows. While the magical girl tropes I’ve absorbed through cultural osmosis (and watching the first few episodes of Madoka before it loving traumatized me) have given me a basic understanding of how the genre works, it’s never been enough to make me sit down and watch any of the classics. So I’m not sure why Glitter Hearts caught my attention as I scrolled through the BLM twitch bundle looking for games to read. But when I cracked open the book and saw the opening section, I knew I had to talk about it.

I’ll start out by saying that I really like the layout, writing style, and overall look of the book. The art helps set the tone, the text is clear and readable with plenty of lists and subsections to break it up, and the writing is friendly and casual without being unclear. I actually like prose a bit more flowery than most people seem to prefer, but the writing has the sort of tone-setting style and vocabulary I’m looking for without it getting wordy or unclear. It’s a pleasure to read. My only complaint is that I wish there was more art, but then my ideal RPG book would be an illuminated manuscript, so take that as you like.

Glitter Hearts works off the Powered by the Apocalypse rule set. Other people in this thread have explained how that system works far better than I ever could, so I advise you check the archives and read up on Apocalypse World to get an idea of how it works in practice. I’ll proceed assuming you already know what playbooks, moves, etc. are. Funnily enough, the game doesn’t borrow all the terminology PbtA games provide, nor does it cleave to traditional RPG terminology in general – but I’m getting ahead of myself. I honestly think you don’t need to read those reviews to understand what I’m writing about – to see what I mean – but if you have the time and interest I recommend taking a peek first.

No art in this section, so instead here’s what the text looks like (taken from the next section).

The book skips the traditional “what is an RPG” section, as well as the assorted introductions and mood setting pieces that accompany them, by fusing all of it into one chapter. They don’t even explain what an RPG is, they just talk about the game in general terms. I can’t tell whether they’re assuming anyone reading Glitter Hearts already knows what an RPG is or just don’t think explaining it is necessary. Or they just don’t care, but I think it’s the second, the rules are pretty self-contained. We get a bunch of detail on the base assumptions under a game of Glitter Hearts, but it hints heavily at the most important idea, the concept that fuels the game, in ways that will be elaborated upon later in the book. While ostensibly about playing magical girls, you can use it to play Sentai (i.e. Power Rangers) without changing the rules or for certain kinds of superheros or even Transformers with fluff changes and the occasional house rolled mechanic. You’re not playing a genre, you are playing a theme. The book even lays out four tenets for both GMs and players.
  • “Make the world dangerous, but also bright and fun.” Glitter Hearts is a fundamentally hopeful game. That doesn’t mean it’s easy. Victory should always be in reach, but it should always take effort and thought to attain. The game draws its energy from that push; you know you can win as long as you throw your all into it.
  • “Fill the characters’ lives with action, friendships, and complication.” In Glitter Hearts, as in many PbtA games, combat and interpersonal relationships directly key off each other. Challenges and disputes in characters’ personal lives can be as difficult to solve as combat situations and can cripple your ability to fight if they get out of hand, leading naturally to character drama playing its own role in combat (a very PbtA concept). But don’t go too overboard, the characters are friends and will end up that way. Again, you are nearly guaranteed a happy ending, but it will only come if the party tries to deal with their issues.
  • “Endanger the world and the characters with threats from beyond.” While there can be crossover between the sides, the genres Glitter Hearts draws upon thrive on a clear distinction between the mundane and extraordinary. One of the most important elements of Glitter Hearts, the one that sets it apart from its peers, is the concept of transformation. Your character has two separate playbooks and use the same stats; a mundane one for everyday life and a superpowered one for confrontations with your enemies. As such, the greatest physical threats will come from supernatural forces. On the flipside, most social threats will come either from the mundane world or other players. As for as I can tell, it’s a very genre-appropriate dichotomy.
  • “Play to find out what happens.” Pretty self-explanatory. What happens in game determines what happens in the story. Minimize railroading.

The list of precepts for the GM builds on those concepts. Most of them will be familiar to anyone who’s read another * World game, but we have a few new ones:
  • “Make the explosions big and loud, but the damage minimal. It’s all about the flash.” The point of fights in these shows are to sell toys, not maim the main characters. Granted, you can’t sell toys based on your characters (usually), but combat is about having fun and building tension before interacting with villains, for better or for worse - and for dealing with what happens if you can’t talk them down. Speaking of which…
  • “Make the main villains morally gray, but their underlings black and white.” These genres include plenty of villains who can be talked down or even join the good guys. Granted, that doesn’t make reasoning with them easy or certain, but you can and probably should defeat many villains by appealing to them or bringing them over to your side. Of course, there’s still plenty of room for combat, and fights against underlings exist to build aforementioned tension and get players excited. Characterize the main villains, not the fodder.
  • “Test the characters’ friendships.” As I said, relationships drive Glitter Hearts as much as any other PbtA game, and they even have mechanical effects depending on the tone and strength of those relationships. You know how we’ve been talking about role protection and mechanics around assisting others in the thread? Those have an entire subsystem dedicated to them that keys of the timbre of interpersonal relationships. Therefore, fiddling with those relationships not only ties into the base themes in the game and drives engagement, but it has direct mechanical consequences to make those character conflicts important. I mean, keep in mind this book doesn’t want you to push those relationships so far that they break, but introducing elements that complicate that friendship can be as compelling as any other challenge to overcome.
  • “Make everything personal to the characters and complicate their lives.” I’ve already talked about this, but it deserves reiteration. This game is about your characters. It isn’t about a broader plot, it isn’t about the things they can achieve, it’s about them, what they do, and how they live their lives. While the threats can be global, the scale is always personal.
  • “Name everyone.” This one shows up elsewhere, but here it serves to emphasize just how close the scale is; you’ll be dealing with the same people day in and day out. However, I would extend it to “name everything” because it’s entirely on-brand to yell ridiculous names and challenges while using moves in combat.

And what the border art looks like.

Something this chapter only indirectly touches upon but becomes clear as you go through the book is that… you know how I said Glitter Hearts is about playing a theme? If you go too far from that theme, the game starts to break down. There’s plenty of room to question some of the underlying assumptions of these genres but answering those questions with “gently caress you” puts the system into jeopardy. The game is not about putting your characters in the sort of danger they might realistically face and these situations; I’m not sure there’s a way for player characters to die without their player’s express permission. If characters are too afraid to form connections because they might lose the other half of their relationship, the resulting effects make them more likely to bite it. While the supernatural half of the game threatening the ordinary part is entirely within theme, if it goes too far, if their cover is blown and the mundane world tries to interact with their transformed states, a lot of assumptions that holds the system together break apart. The two kinds of playbook each focus on a style of play and forcing one to take over for the other leaves players without useful moves to make. Glitter Hearts can take quite a bit of stress, but it asks players to follow a previously-established theme and concept instead of deciding the overall tone of the campaign for themselves. Many players will react to this by hissing and making the sign of the cross, but players willing to collaborate with the GM on this can find plenty of space within that realm to do their own thing.

But something it does explicitly note – while the genre focuses on magical girls, supernatural forces choosing you to defend the world don’t always care about your biological sex. Your gender identity does not matter here unless you want it to; the book mentions non-binary by name as being just as legitimate an identity as anything else. We’ll see later that it’s entirely possible to have a transformation of a different gender than a mundane PC without any hassle. It’s a section more and more common in RPG’s these days but that doesn’t make it unappreciated; it lifts a burden off character creation many people don’t realize exists.

Speaking of which, character creation! I’m at least a post of way from getting into character creation, probably more, but I want to get this started now to give me time to develop what I need to show off how the system works. I will need at least two characters (to demonstrate relationship mechanics), and for each I will need a character concept (to guide what I design), a social role (your mundane playbooks key off highschool stereotypes for the most part), a transformation (tell me what it looks like and what it can do), and a social demeanor or outlook of some kind (I’ll need it for friendship mechanics). Lurkers, if you want to share I’d love to work with your ideas, but I’ll take it character concepts from everybody.

Next time we start going through the rules, especially moves; expect a massive tone shift from what you might be used too. Also no sex moves. E: I lied, we’ll cover stats and mechanics, then moves (then character creation).

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 9, 2022

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I had a discussion elsewhere about just what made a magical girl show (versus, say, any other genre of anime) and this is a very good encapsulation of what we'd settled on. I'll be watching this review with interest.

edit: I also REALLY LIKE that the game emphasizes that you don't have to be a girl to be a magical girl - I'm thinking back on how other games in the genre have fumbled that in the past.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Love that cover, very Kill Six Billion Demons.

Interested to see how it shakes out mechanically. I'm a bit concerned that PBTA might be in the same place now that the D20 system was 15, 20 years ago - the default engine you drop into your game when you don't want to come up with your own mechanics. Not that every game needs to reinvent the wheel.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I got excited for a moment before realising that what I actually want is a Bulk and Skull flavoured game.
:shrug:

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
I was curious to see how Silent Legions, another modern-day occult-horror OSR game handled spellcasting when compared to the multifarious ways it can go wrong in Esoteric Enterprises. The short answer is, being a wizard is a lot nicer in Silent Legions. Although it's harder to acquire magic than in Esoteric Enterprises (you can't start with it, and have to learn spells or traditions from trainers/grimoires, with a skill roll needed), the worst thing that can happen is the spell failing. You can even cast spells or use disciplines that are at your level or lower without having to roll - it just costs Expertise (a recharging pool of points all characters have access to) or Madness if you can't afford it.

There's actually a lot of overlap between Legions and Enterprises, right down to the needless five-saves system and multiple different kinds of rolls (d20 over, d20 under, and 2d6, in the case of Legions).

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

mellonbread posted:

I'm a bit concerned that PBTA might be in the same place now that the D20 system was 15, 20 years ago - the default engine you drop into your game when you don't want to come up with your own mechanics. Not that every game needs to reinvent the wheel.

It's nice that people who want something that does genre/theme emulation have somewhere to go, and it holds up a heck of a lot better than D20 does for its niche (Simulationism? Maybe? Certainly not as well as GURPS or Hero from that era). My concern is that

Falconier111 posted:

If you go too far from that theme, the game starts to break down.

PtbA does not handle people who want to subvert the playbooks or push the engine in expected ways very well. And that might surprise designers and players who are shooting for that experience and don't see it coming. But hey, it probably won't be any worse than if you tried to slam that design into D20 and watch the math just continue to fall apart over and over again.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

At this point I'd be more surprised at people wanting to play it straight (so to speak) rather than do a subversion, inversion, send-up, parody, or dialectic analysis of a rule set. However, for this I blame all of you. :v:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nessus posted:

At this point I'd be more surprised at people wanting to play it straight (so to speak) rather than do a subversion, inversion, send-up, parody, or dialectic analysis of a rule set. However, for this I blame all of you. :v:

Yeah, I’m always ready for nerds to be like ‘magical girls but DARKER AND EDGIER’ rather than wanting to play it straight. (Even tho straight and earnest can get plenty dark.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, I’m always ready for nerds to be like ‘magical girls but DARKER AND EDGIER’ rather than wanting to play it straight. (Even tho straight and earnest can get plenty dark.)

Yep. One of my favorite Magical Girl things is Pretty Cure. Which does it well straight and has dark moments every so often.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

kaynorr posted:

PtbA does not handle people who want to subvert the playbooks or push the engine in expected ways very well. And that might surprise designers and players who are shooting for that experience and don't see it coming. But hey, it probably won't be any worse than if you tried to slam that design into D20 and watch the math just continue to fall apart over and over again.
Yeah if there's a criticism I can dig into on PBTA it is that it is very easy to create a genre space with very little flexibility in practice, even if you have a lot in theory. It is also possible to inadvertently create something that isn't your intention, I can easily see how a magical girl game could either become monotonous (you include the usual reconciliation/blasting away of the nasty thing, but do not encourage the complex character intersections that are the recurring long-term draw) or just accidentally become superheroes with pastels or a Gonterman fanfic.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Nessus posted:

Ah, but then wouldn’t playing it straight be, in and of itself, a subversion of your expectations? :v:

Nessus posted:

Yeah if there's a criticism I can dig into on PBTA it is that it is very easy to create a genre space with very little flexibility in practice, even if you have a lot in theory. It is also possible to inadvertently create something that isn't your intention, I can easily see how a magical girl game could either become monotonous (you include the usual reconciliation/blasting away of the nasty thing, but do not encourage the complex character intersections that are the recurring long-term draw) or just accidentally become superheroes with pastels or a Gonterman fanfic.

I’d say GH gets around this a bit with a couple of mechanics I’ll introduce in the next post that both reward character dynamics and offer natural faultlines for those relationships to break and rebuild along, but it’s not like I’ve played it, I don’t know how it turns out in the field.

Also it can absolutely turn into superheroes in pastels, and in fact that’s part of how it gets around the genre ghetto you mentioned; since it emphasizes tone over genre, you really can use it for superhero games or even giant robot games as long as they keep that hopeful, pro-social outlook. There’s an appendix dedicated entirely to letting you play Voltron. That’s not an exaggeration, it provides rules for deciding what moves you use when everyone’s part of the same robot. But again, I don’t know how well that would work in play so :shrug:

E: For example, my first choice for running a game based on Teen Titans would probably be GH with a few alterations around transformation mechanics.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 29, 2020

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Gonterman fanfic.

You bastard. I'd gone years without thinking of him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bieeanshee posted:

You bastard. I'd gone years without thinking of him.
General Products reminds you all that we saw it and we remember, and it IS going to come up at the worst time.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
ESOTERIC ENTERPRISES PART 8: RUNNING THE GAME

I’ve been very hard on Esoteric Enterprises up to this point, because I don’t think the game’s mechanics live up to what it’s trying to accomplish. The DM section (everything from this point onward) is where we turn the corner into things that make this book good. The procedural rules for running the game range from acceptable to great. And once we get to the actual content, that’s where the real magic happens.

In this section, we’ll cover the game’s basic DM advice, rules for NPCs and Monsters (though not the bestiary), Reputation Mechanics, Exploring the Undercity, Encounters, and Rumors & Events.

AN INTRODUCTION TO RUNNING RPGS
This section begins by outlining the basic steps to get your game up and running. You use the underworld creation rules (which we haven’t encountered yet) to generate the megadungeon under the city where your game takes place, some factions to populate it, and some story hooks that let the players insert themselves into the action.

Next comes a short essay on the role of the DM in Esoteric Enterprises. It doubles as a little primer on what grog D&D is supposed to be about, minus the edition war horseshit you usually get in these conversations.
  • Don’t run the game with a predetermined outcome in mind, respect both the players’ choices and the outcome of the dice
  • Ensure that the players have enough information to make meaningful decisions
  • Don’t pull your punches, but make sure danger is obvious enough that getting into trouble is a meaningful choice
  • Don’t make the players roll dice for every irrelevant thing. Don’t make them roll dice if they use their imagination and come up with a good plan
  • Ask players how their character does things, instead of automatically assuming they do it wrong and punishing them for it
I think this is good advice for a game like this, though I don’t think that the mechanics set up in the previous chapters always deliver it.

RUNNING COMBAT
The three takeaways from this section of the advice are
  • Combat is not balanced. If you get in a fight there’s a good chance you’ll die.
  • The reaction roll table is there to remind the DM that not every encounter results in combat, in fact most probably won’t unless the players initiate it.
  • The NPCs aren’t going to fight to the death without a very good reason. That means they’ll break and run rather than standing around and dying, but also that won’t necessarily pursue fleeing players to the ends of the earth.
I also like this section. There’s also a short tactics section on how to use the covering fire action in a gunfight - basically the Esoteric Enterprises version of find/fix/flank/finish. Then there’s a reminder that wrestling is great, especially if you outnumber your opponent. Words to live by.

TRAPS AND ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS
The underworld is a dangerous place. It’s full of bullshit that makes it difficult and hazardous to navigate, and that’s before people start setting up traps. But if exploring it were easy, it wouldn’t be any fun.

Traps should be placed in important areas, such as the entrance to an underworld complex or an area where valuables are kept. The fun part isn’t rolling to find a trap, or rolling to disarm it. The DM should be giving out clues that something’s not right, allowing the players to use deductive reasoning to locate, avoid or disable it.

I also agree with this advice, but I wish the book was more consistent about applying it. There’s an example of play in the introduction to RPGs section where a character needed a Perception test to spot a tripwire. And the deliberate placement of traps kind of goes out the window once you get to the random dungeon generation tables, which obviously can’t arrange the traps and entrances according to a grand philosophy of game design. There will still be traps in individual rooms that hold valuables, but it’ll be more slapshod than the text implies here.

Here’s one paragraph that caught my attention:

Esoteric Enterprises, Page 107 posted:

Once your players are experienced with traps, you can start subverting things to mess with their expectations. A classic example is a pressure plate that sets off a trap a few feet back, to get the smartass with the ten-foot-pole. Really, though, you only want to do this sort of thing once your players have proved that they’re good at spotting and dealing with traps. Before then, it will seem arbitrary and unfair.
This type of difficulty scaling to player skill is something the book discourages elsewhere - you’re supposed to be creating a simulated world, not spinning encounters specifically to beat your players.

CAMPAIGNS AND EMERGENT NARRATIVES
We get another page of advice on running games in the long run, and how the game world should respond to the actions of the players. Just about every example of play I’ve seen on the internet of Esoteric Enterprises has been a oneshot, where the players gen characters and do a single mission. I think this is a real shame. The best part of this game is how the world comes to life over repeat sessions, and how the players discover more of the underworld through exploration.

TONE
There’s an essay on what kind of game this is supposed to be. It’s supposed to be gritty and weird, and then there’s a paragraph or two about what “weirdness” means. I like the tone of Esoteric Enterprises, with its Unknown Armies style occult underground combined with wacky fantasy elements played completely straight. Yeah, we’ve got Morlocks and Fairies and Rock People. What are you going to do about it?

There’s a couple paragraphs about knowing when to ease up on something, if it’s making your players genuinely uncomfortable or upset. And if it’s something that’s core to your campaign, you might just need to play something else. Better to find a new game than play one that makes people miserable.

Then there’s a page on how to bring new characters into the game when the old ones die. A lot of OSR books demand that you start every new character at level 1. This one gives instructions for how to create higher level starting characters (take a level 1 character and level them up), with a caveat that you probably don’t need to do this. I think the author underestimated the survivability difference between someone with 3 flesh and 6 grit and someone with 4 flesh and 10 grit.

NPC AND MONSTER STATISTICS
No, we’re not at the bestiary yet. These are general instructions for creating NPC stat blocks.

Monsters and NPCs don’t get a full spread of 6 attributes, they just get specific ones called out when they’re higher or lower than average. Everything else is assumed to be 10.

The base monster hit die is a D6 for both Flesh and Grit, though some monsters might have a different one.

The game’s base unarmed AC is 10 (I should have mentioned this earlier, I think ti’s a good change from Lamentations) and goes up in proportion to how tough or agile a creature is.

Rather than five saving throws, monsters use a single value for all saves. This is immediately followed by a table showing monsters with two different values for saves, Natural and Unnatural. When we actually get to the monster stat blocks in the back of the book, they only save. So the two save table was either copied from another book, or leftover from an earlier stage of the game’s development.

Skills are assumed to be 1 in 6, unless otherwise stated. This is important, because it means that as lovely as your characters’ stealth, perception and athletics is, the other guy is rolling at the same base rating. In the land of the clumsy, oblivious and slow, the 3 in 6 man is king.

REPUTATION AND UNWANTED ATTENTION
Now we’re getting into what makes the game tick!

Esoteric Enterprises has a faction creation system that we’ll cover in a future chapter, and a system to track how all the factions feel about the player characters.

Esoteric Enterprises, Page 112[/quote posted:

The party’s reputation score for each faction is calculated as follows.
• It starts out at a base of 0.
• If the party have, overall, behaved hostilely towards the faction, subtract their level from the reputation score; in the likely event that different PCs have reached different levels, use the highest level in the party.
• If the party have not acted hostilely towards the faction, add their level to the reputation score; in the likely event that different PCs have reached different levels, use the highest level in the party.
• If the party have a reputation for untrustworthiness, subtract 3 from their reputation score.
• Every time violence breaks out between the party and the faction in question, subtract one from their reputation score.
• Every time the party complete a job on behalf of the faction, add one or more (depending on the importance of the job) to their reputation score.
• Every time the party completes a job that directly attacks the faction’s interests, subtract one from their reputation score.
What do these numbers actually mean for how a faction feels about you?

One thing you’ll notice if you crunch the numbers is that it takes a while to get a faction to really care about anything you do. If a group of level 1 players takes a job to kill members of a faction, that’s 1 for “acted hostilely”, 1 for “violence breaks out” and 1 for “completes a job that directly attacks the faction’s interests”. That’s a total of -3, which is still “uninterested”. You may have shot up our safehouse and killed one of our lieutenants, but eh, fuggedaboutit.

I’m not sure if this is a bug or a feature. It seems silly, but it also addresses a real problem that games with reputation systems have: the first job or the first encounter or whatever permanently locks you into being hostile or friendly with specific factions, basically predetermining the rest of the game for you. By blunting the impact of a single job, the game slows down the snowball effect and leaves more options open for the players.

You want a table that snowballs like crazy?

LEGAL ATTENTION SCORES
Inevitably, your psychotic behavior will attract the attention of the authorities. How much attention? There’s a table for that too.

Esoteric Enterprises, Page 113 posted:

It starts out at a base of 0.
• Every time they do something blatantly illegal above ground, it is increased by 1.
• Every time they cast magic above ground, it is increased by 1.
• Every time they kill a person with legally recognised citizenship (so, not animals, inhuman spooks or similar), it increases by 1 if underground, or 3 if over-ground.
• Every time they commit a publicly visible crime (such as a bank robbery), it increases by 3.
• Every time they attack, use magic against or attempt to directly subvert law enforcement, it increases by 5.
• Each day spent lying low to avoid legal attention lowers the score by 1.
• Concerted efforts to obscure the party’s identity or involvement with the underworld lowers the score by 1.
Legal Attention Score can never fall below half the highest value it’s reached (IE if you get Legal Attention 12, you can’t ever reduce it below 6).
Bolding mine. I dig the distinction between killing people in the undercity and killing them on the surface.

What do all these numbers mean in practice?

Unless your players are trying very hard not to make waves, law enforcement interest is going to continually ratchet up over the course of the campaign. And that means your chance of running into these captains of industry goes up.

The die size you use for this table is determined by how much legal heat you’ve drawn down. The high end results are really nasty.

One thing I would have liked here is an acknowledgement that the NPCs you run into are also thinking about this table. Criminals and cultists are people like anyone else, and the risk of discovery is just as serious for them as it is for you. Magical creatures don’t fear the police like normal people do, but they’ve got the Men in Black to worry about.

Oh yeah, there are Men in Black in Esoteric Enterprises. They’re like Delta Green or MAJESTIC 12 or whatever. We’ll talk about them when we get into the bestiary, but in brief they’re here to stop you from violating the masquerade.

EXPLORING THE UNDERCITY
We start this section with an explanation of what the undercity is: a megadungeon made up of interconnected nodes, each node made of up of interconnected rooms, al linked to the surface via dungeon entrances embedded in mundane areas, the accessing of which could be an adventure in its own right.

There’s a little descriptive text about rooms and what they might have in them. Monsters, treasure, traps, miscellaneous flavor details, or nothing at all. Empty rooms are important because they add breathing room that makes exploration more interesting. If every chamber is packed with danger, then which-way-to-go stops being a meaningful choice.

There’s a couple sentences explaining the difference between keyed and wandering monsters. The term “keyed” is a leftover from the old days when dungeon maps had a numeric key that explained what was in each room on the map image. In this case, it’s a generic term for an NPC or monster that lives in a specific room. Wandering monsters are monsters that come from random encounters.

Esoteric Enterprises, Page 114 posted:

These represent the inhabitants of the undercity who might be exploring themselves, or attracted by the commotion made by the PCs. When wandering monsters might show up, roll a d6. On a roll of 1, something encounters the PCs. If the PCs have been noisy, left signs of their passing or otherwise advertised their presence, something instead shows up on a roll of 1 or 2. If the PCs are intentionally trying to draw attention - leaving bait, making loud tempting noises, etc - then an encounter arrives on 1 to 3. A roll for wandering monsters is made at the following points:
• Every third exploration turn.
• Whenever the PCs cause a commotion by, for example, firing guns or battering a door down.
• Whenever the PCs enter a busy or heavily populated area.
Unlike monsters tied to a location, these monsters are drawn from a general pool of monsters inhabiting the whole undercity. Pick an appropriate table on page 182-183 and roll on it for what shows up.
When an encounter is rolled that has been encountered before (and not been wiped out or otherwise neutralised), there’s a chance that it’s the same lot as before. Roll a d6. A roll of 1 means that the encounter is the same as before. If multiple separate groups of the same type have been encountered, then on a 1 it’s the first group, on a 2 the second, and so on.
Wandering monsters are great. Why? Because they’re a much more interesting method of exerting time pressure on the players than food, torches, etc. They achieve the same design goal without enforcing tedious resource management. You shouldn’t hurry up and do something because you’re worried about running out of snickers bars. You should hurry up and do something because a caveman sorcerer could come into the room, get scared by your flashlight and throw a fireball at you. And yeah, most random encounters don’t automatically lead to fights. But when we get to the tables in a few posts, you’ll see why that’s a risk you really don’t want to take.

RUNNING HEISTS
Oh yeah, there’s heists. You’re a criminal, and not all the crimes you commit will be committed in the underworld. This section lays out basic procedures for playing out heists. Surveillance, plan, execution, complications. Then there’s a set of example challenges you’ll likely encounter on different types of heist. They start with a gas station robbery, mob bosses, wizards, museums and banks, then proceed all the way up to breaking someone out of a Men in Black facility. Then there’s a little table of police response times for when you gently caress up and the alarm is raised.

I still prefer the Blades in the Dark method of running heists, where you start at the most fun part and do all the planning retroactively using your character’s special powers. But I also get how that type of fiction-first approach wouldn’t work in a grog game.

RUMORS AND EVENTS
This here is the good poo poo. Every in-game week, you’ roll a couple D8s on the Underworld Events table to see what’s happening in your city. That will direct you to another table of random events. Maybe it targets a character in your group, maybe it’s a citywide event. Then there’s a final table for where the players are and what they’re doing when it happens. Put that all together, and you’re ready to go.

This is something the game will do a lot from this point onward: use a group of tables as a seed for adventures. This is a tradition that goes back all the way to the earliest D&D books, the original Traveller, etc. Throw down some world creation rules and a few plot elements, and let the DM come up with the rest.

I don’t use these tables religiously. I’m in my second campaign now, and I find it’s most useful at the beginning of the game, when the wheels haven’t been set in motion yet. Once you’re a couple sessions in, the factions will be bouncing off each other and the players enough that you don’t always need a random generator. I still use table 66 because it sets the scene when events in the underworld boil over and spill out into the characters’ lives in unexpected ways. I like all these tables though. Sometimes, your faction and map generator is going to spit out a result that doesn’t have any immediate obvious hooks. This chapter is a superb “what now”.

Coming up next: Hazards and Treasures of the Undercity, a section I'm really looking forward to.

Leraika posted:

I'm reminded of the cast/miscast in Ctech, where it's 'you cast a spell to make people heal slightly faster' versus 'you miscast to rip a screaming tear in the world and your entire party dies instantly'.

gently caress cthulhutech!

BinaryDoubts posted:

I was curious to see how Silent Legions, another modern-day occult-horror OSR game handled spellcasting when compared to the multifarious ways it can go wrong in Esoteric Enterprises. The short answer is, being a wizard is a lot nicer in Silent Legions. Although it's harder to acquire magic than in Esoteric Enterprises (you can't start with it, and have to learn spells or traditions from trainers/grimoires, with a skill roll needed), the worst thing that can happen is the spell failing. You can even cast spells or use disciplines that are at your level or lower without having to roll - it just costs Expertise (a recharging pool of points all characters have access to) or Madness if you can't afford it.

There's actually a lot of overlap between Legions and Enterprises, right down to the needless five-saves system and multiple different kinds of rolls (d20 over, d20 under, and 2d6, in the case of Legions).
So in Silent Legions, the OSR Call of Cthulhu, magic is friendly and functional. While in Esoteric Enterprises, the OSR World of Darkness, magic is incredibly dangerous and rarely helpful. Gotta love it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Manual of the Planes: 3.5E

As one of the few DnD books I still have, let's get to it. Falconier covered the 2E Manual excellently, so I'm going to focus mainly on what seems to be different in 3.5E's Manual.

First, the 3.5E Manual is based on the Greyhawk setting, so references to Forgotten Realms and real life deities have all been excised. The para-elemental and quasi-elemental planes have all disappeared, though the big four, the Great Wheel of the outer planes, and the Ethereal and Astral planes remain - and now they've been joined by another transitive plane, the Plane of Shadow.

The 3.5E Manual opens with a chapter explaining the basics of what the planes are. I assume everyone in this thread knows what's up, but this part is more meant for new players, as is the brief discussion of why you might want to involve the planes in a campaign. The planes offer the most fantastical environments imaginable, where normal rules and logic may no longer apply. The planes are home to powerful monsters and beings the PCs might only have seen via summoning spells, but now can be encountered in their home turf. And for players interested in exploring, the planes are a limitless frontier like nothing the players have likely encountered before.

Also new to this Manual is the concept of demiplanes. Demiplanes are defined in contrast to the fully fledged planes by the fact that they are finite spaces. They act like regular planes, but where regular planes are for all intents and purposes (and possibly literally are) infinite in size and scope, demiplanes can range from the size of a football field to the size of a planet or more. Demiplanes also tend to have very restricted means of access. Beyond that, though? Anything goes with a demiplane. Most demiplanes are deliberately created by beings of great power: actual Powers, extraordinary :smugwizard:, or the like. Being able to create and maintain a demiplane is a mark that you've got some serious magical mojo and the will to use it. As such, these artificial demiplanes tend to have specific purposes that reflect the will of their creator, be it vacation home, research facility, or hidden fortress. But some demiplanes just appear and disappear on their own for reasons (or not). Here there be monsters.

Unlike the 2E Manual, there's very few charts and tables here.

Next Time: Planar Traits

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I do not know what that is other than an immediate negative feeling on seeing the name. I assume that means memory repression has been successful.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

mellonbread posted:

There’s a couple paragraphs about knowing when to ease up on something, if it’s making your players genuinely uncomfortable or upset. And if it’s something that’s core to your campaign, you might just need to play something else. Better to find a new game than play one that makes people miserable.

An OSR game that prioritizes player comfort? :psyduck: It’s probably just my limited experience in the genre, but most of the OSR stuff I’ve encountered either ignores that concept or tries to spin it as challenging players on multiple levels. Isn’t that the sort of thing Lamentations gets accused of disregarding?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Falconier111 posted:

An OSR game that prioritizes player comfort? :psyduck: It’s probably just my limited experience in the genre, but most of the OSR stuff I’ve encountered either ignores that concept or tries to spin it as challenging players on multiple levels. Isn’t that the sort of thing Lamentations gets accused of disregarding?
In brief: the author is super woke and strongly dislikes the other OSR grogs (though not as much as she hates the 5E grogs).

I'm not going into this in the text of the review because I want to stick to the book and its contents as an artifact, without pulling in lots of twitter or blog posts. But if you're interested in Cavegirl's position on RPG safety tools, try this article.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Falconier111 posted:

I'm also going to run a horror OSR-ish one-shot this weekend called A Wizard that similarly has a detailed content warning list and exhortations to ease the gently caress off if someone is really uncomfortable and to establish boundaries. Which I really appreciate.

Look for a writeup on it after I'm done, I think. It'll be fun to talk about writing something system agnostic (and setting agnostic) into something, and I think it's potentially a pretty strong adventure. But I really appreciate it coming with actual warnings and not prioritizing surprising people.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 30, 2020

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Nessus posted:

To clarify this a bit for people not familiar with either game:

In Unknown Armies, magic is difficult and painful because it is a core function of the game that magic is not, in fact, a particularly great road to power, and the people who pursue it are broken obsessives. One of the most powerful players in the magical world in Unknown Armies is, AFAIK, a dude with no magical powers, just knowledge of the occult underground and a fuckload of money.

In Mage: the Ascension, casting magic is hard because it is absolutely ludicrously bonkers as soon as you can start accumulating successful magic rolls, and it is ridiculously XP-efficient because magic is freeform and with a fairly minor level of character optimization you can start with some pretty ludicrous capabilities right out of chargen. So if magic was easy, it would basically obsolete all non-magical tools and methods. Even so, having a decent level of magical skill can make you ludicrously powerful, simply because one of the easiest things to do with magic is to lower the difficulties of any regular skill check you're making, and you can easily double (or more) the average successes per die rolled like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

On the one hand, it’s actually kind of heartening to hear that about the OSR. I mean, intellectually I knew it wasn’t purely a nest of the worst kind of grog but it’s nice to know at last parts of it are capable of supporting human life. Not all of it, obviously, but it’s always nice to have your assumptions turn out to be too cynical.

On the other, as I read this it becomes more and more clear I’ll need to cover character creation next chapter. I need magical girl (and equivalent) character concepts STAT.