Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

You should keep going if you're enjoying the arc and just finding it weird that somehow nen is available!

You should not keep going if you are like, not enjoying the amount of rules that HxH has. A big part of its appeal and charm is basically I know you know I know you know so what do we do about it?

At least, I can assure you that why nen works is 100% addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Mr Interweb posted:

as a fan of yu yu hakusho, i've been meaning to check this out for nearly 2 decades. i read the manga in the late 00s but only got to the tournament at the tower part of the story. i'm watching the anime right now and i'm at the Greed Island arci was really enjoying the series up until this point. but it's a little difficult for me to suspend my disbelief with the way this arc works. for example, apparently all the main characters have basically digitized their minds into this video game, and while in the game, nen apparently still works? but there's also like multiple additional separate rules with the way this video game world operates. i dunno, it's a little difficult to keep track and just seems too incoherent/unbelievable imo

so i have to ask...should i keep going?

Don't worry too much about like, the individual card effects or anything, if that's part of what's tripping you up. There are only like 3-5ish that really end up mattering for the story. I remember pausing episodes to read the effect of every card they showed and it kind of overloaded my brain a bit but you can kinda gloss over most of them.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Artelier posted:

You should keep going if you're enjoying the arc and just finding it weird that somehow nen is available!

You should not keep going if you are like, not enjoying the amount of rules that HxH has. A big part of its appeal and charm is basically I know you know I know you know so what do we do about it?

At least, I can assure you that why nen works is 100% addressed.

TriffTshngo posted:

Don't worry too much about like, the individual card effects or anything, if that's part of what's tripping you up. There are only like 3-5ish that really end up mattering for the story. I remember pausing episodes to read the effect of every card they showed and it kind of overloaded my brain a bit but you can kinda gloss over most of them.

i'm cool with there being a bunch of rules. it's just this specific instance of nen working in a goddamned VIDEO GAME that i'm still trying to process.

did they explain why/how it works and i just missed it?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't remember if this is the explanation but I just go with "the videogame is also nen".

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
It does get explained, yeah

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm cool with there being a bunch of rules. it's just this specific instance of nen working in a goddamned VIDEO GAME that i'm still trying to process.

did they explain why/how it works and i just missed it?

I think you very quickly learn the deal with this video game.

Now how nutso powerful the nen users who made it must have been becomes the next question.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I don't think you can miss the explanation on why nen works in a video game because it's not like an off the side panel or something.

If you're wondering how far away you are from the explanation, here's a cue for when it's coming up (no explicit details): Look out for when story diverts away from Gon and Killua for a short while, the explanation happens there.

Honestly you're probably pretty close already.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i'm at the part where the blue haired bomber guy reveals himself and lets everyone know he put bombs on them

oh also i should probably point out that i've resumed watching only recently and the last time i was watching the series was well over a year ago.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm at the part where the blue haired bomber guy reveals himself and lets everyone know he put bombs on them

oh also i should probably point out that i've resumed watching only recently and the last time i was watching the series was well over a year ago.

It will get explained, just stick with it. It will make sense when you get the reveal. I was also like ???? about it until I got to that bit.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Jerkface posted:

It will get explained, just stick with it. It will make sense when you get the reveal. I was also like ???? about it until I got to that bit.

oh okay so i'm not there yet. good to know. thanks

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is half adventure, half training arc. the card stuff only matters as far as it enables those aspects.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Greed Island only exists bc thats what Togashi wants to do after HXH.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Turin Turambar posted:

Also, I was thinking, someone who hasn't entered in the forum in the last 3 days will have a heart attack when he sees suddenly 70 new posts in the thread. Poor soul will believe there manga is continuing... :(

188. I actually believed for a moment, because that seemed like too many for a random conversation that happened to spring up recently.

Also, yeah, echoing the "Greed Island has an explanation that answers all of your questions in a way that makes sense (even if it also raises some completely different ones)" thing, and it being impossible to miss; a character outright states how what's happening there, well, happens, and it comes up at least one or two more times after that as well. I think "why Nen works here, that's pretty weird right" is one of the things that is specifically brought up as part of the explanation, in fact, because it is weird when you stop and think about it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I just got caught up on the manga after I decided to just read it since im bored working from home. Never watched the anime or anything.

Am I to understand that this has been on hiatus for a year and a half?

Hipsteresque
Nov 10, 2011

Jerkface posted:

I just got caught up on the manga after I decided to just read it since im bored working from home. Never watched the anime or anything.

Yep, it’ll be the longest hiatus ever in about 8 weeks I think. I just hope we can get new chapters at all, they’re always so amazing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Jerkface posted:

One of us! One of us!

I hope you realise one of the hiatuses that lasted for a year was the start of the Netero Mureum fight.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Artelier posted:

One of us! One of us!

I hope you realise one of the hiatuses that lasted for a year was the start of the Netero Mureum fight.

Holy wow, that sounds like Just The Worst. Not even just for the fight, but thats like the 85% mark of Chimera Ant while poo poo was hitting the fan in a half dozen ways

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It was absolutely brutal yes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Reminder that a tracker for Hunter x Hunter does exist: https://hiatus-hiatus.github.io/

Fun data from this tracker!
  • Hunter x Hunter has been on hiatus for most of its run (63.5%)
  • The longest hiatus was 80 issues long, from issue 39/2014 to issue 19/2016.
  • The current hiatus has been 74 issues long (since issue 1/2019) so far. It will likely take number one spot.

Hunter x Hunter's greatest arc, the hiatus arc, longer than several manga have even published.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
We are truly in the dark ages.

Is there any word at all on whether HxH will return?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Every day Togashi writes a new page of HxH, does the line work, inks it, and then gets out a match and burns it out of spite.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Please Togashi... just have your wife finish your manga.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Thoren posted:

We are truly in the dark ages.

Is there any word at all on whether HxH will return?

None. Hence why I said this will be the longest hiatus, we have zero reason to believe it won't surpass the current title holder.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kild posted:

Please Togashi... just have your wife finish your manga.

I'm not sure why Togashi hasn't just ended the manga qua manga and continued the story in LN form (perhaps with illustrations by Takeuchi). Unless there's some writer's block going on and not just back problems?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just get Murata to do it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Can't wait to see how Phoenixman shakes up the succession war.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I waited 9 years to find out what happened after Greed Island because in general I don't read manga. If you like HxH, you're pretty much used to suffering.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dude's old and weekly manga grinds even young, healthy people into miserable nubs. might be his back again, might be any number of other reasons. we'll either get more chapters, a retirement notice, or an obituary. there won't be much prior notice for any of them.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I've read ASOIF, Berserk, etc - I will just throw HxH onto that pile I guess. Hope he can come out and finish it though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tunicate posted:

can't I have one refuge from all the pervasive horny out there

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

I know it’s weird to compare HxH with a piece of fanwork, but I’m half expecting a Dragon Ball Abridged scenario where I just wake up on day and see a headline that it’s cancelled with little fanfare.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mumbling posted:

I know it’s weird to compare HxH with a piece of fanwork, but I’m half expecting a Dragon Ball Abridged scenario where I just wake up on day and see a headline that it’s cancelled with little fanfare.

Part of me hopes for that because I expect a Getter Robo situation where the writer just died without ever finishing the series.

I can't imagine HxH will have a proper conclusion and it's depressing.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Wow I can’t believe how many of the hiatuses I’ve blocked out due to the trauma of their timing...

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

thing is i really really like his art style. so i don't want that gone either... but if i must, then so be it. release the scripts!

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT
Togashi will never finish his proposed arcs (remember, there's supposed to be 3 or so more arcs AFTER the dark continent one we're stuck on now) and most likely we're gonna be stuck on this boat with nen-powered cockroaches and terrorizing horse-lady nen beasts for a long time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i honestly wouldn't mind if it ended with the completion of this arc. it is such a good arc! sure, protagonist leorio on the dark continent sounds super loving cool but it ain't happening.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

As someone who read the manga over the course of a week up until the current hiatus point, I think that having Gon and Killua's story at fine stopping points "for now" means I would not mind it if the story never got completed. I want it to continue because its a quality product, but at least there a satisfying stopping point.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

sometimes i wanna travel to the dimension where one piece is still stuck in the middle of enis lobby and hxh is about to hit 1000 chapters....

let's see... hunterxhunterxhiatusxhiatus chapters [some of these images may bring back bad memories]

year/jump issue (length [wks]) : ch###

2006/12 (79) : 260
vs

2008/03 (09) : 270
vs

2008/25 (19) : 280
vs

2009/03 (50) : 290
vs

2010/27 (56) : 310
vs

2012/17 (34) : 340
vs

2013/03 (69) : 340
only reason this is considered a new haitus is cause togashi returned to do kurapika's one-shot for 2 chapters and then hosed off again for the rest of the year

2014/39 (80) : 349
vs

2016/32 (46) : 360
vs

2017/41 (18) : 370
vs

2018/19 (22) : 380
vs

2019/01 (74) : 390
vs

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

btw, looking at those snakes, that's definitely going on the list right under the turkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the gently caress the Kakin arc started in 2012???????????????????????