Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Tragic. Good news is all the mini-tutorials along the way you can just run past. You only need to visit the museum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lmao that's some spectacularly bad luck. But get past the first cycle and the game's structure will render even those kind of unlikely events irrelevant.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm pretty sure once you get past the first cycle, it saves whenever you quit.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

So I just finished getting all the achievements for this, playing like I had never played before and only went where clues/hints guided me. Last time I played it was 1.00 and version 1.07 or whatever and good god did they improve the hints for the ash twin puzzle. They are SO MUCH BETTER this time around. I think with what they did to all the clues would've lead me to figure it out without consulting a guide if I had played this version first. The biggest help was them completely redoing the artwork on the wall in the high energy lab. Doesn't completely give it away but the visual cue is a million times easier to parse the significance of.

Managed to squeeze another 17 hours out of my favorite game from last year for $16. Consider me a happy customer :c00l:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Picked this up on steam sale, and I went into it blind not expecting or knowing anything.

After some initial hiccups with the control scheme and steam not playing together nicely, I got going and then basically just couldn't stop until I reached the end. I ran through it and got the "indended" (I think?) ending, but it was a loving wild ride:

I got the coordinates, and I found the Vessel, and I figured out I needed to take the Vessel to the Eye. I played entirely without autopilot because I *know* how to fly a goddamn spaceship. I was coming in hot to the Dark Bramble, since time was an issue due to my ship deciding to move to the ember twin while I was getting the warp core. I realized that removing the core would mean the time loop would stop, so having only this one chance really made me paranoid. I almost opted to put the core back, but decided to press on.

So at about 3km out from Dark Bramble, at about 800m/s my controllers batteries decide to pick that exact moment to die. So I freak out thinking it was the game loving with me. I manage to get new batteries in, but it's too late to recover the ship. I plowed into the Dark Bramble and completely destroyed the ship and was down to just a sliver of HP and very little time.

I pressed on, coasting through the grave and past the angler fish. I managed to get to the control room of the vessel with 10 seconds or so of oxygen left, at around 20:00 on the clock.

It made the ending that much more poignant to me. I'm really happy I decided to buy this on a whim. I'm still humming the theme that the little aliens play. Though, now I'm wondering what happens if you don't succeed during that last cycle. And if you can do any kind of shenanigans with that last cycle. I have a few ideas I want to try :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

It made the ending that much more poignant to me. I'm really happy I decided to buy this on a whim. I'm still humming the theme that the little aliens play. Though, now I'm wondering what happens if you don't succeed during that last cycle. And if you can do any kind of shenanigans with that last cycle. I have a few ideas I want to try :v:

There are plenty of things you can do to "break" the game, and the game rewards you for it. Experiment with things in the ash twin project as well as in the high energy lab.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I realized that removing the core would mean the time loop would stop

Endgame spoiler: Fortunately, it doesn't.

If you die or run out of time during the "final" run, even after grabbing the core, the loop just repeats as normal.

Edit: I am wrong, though it's effectively the same result -- you can keep going either way.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 29, 2020

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

WhiteHowler posted:

If you die or run out of time during the "final" run, even after grabbing the core, the loop just repeats as normal.

Well, poo poo. I treated it like it was no gently caress-ups allowed. I'm glad though because it really felt like it was for keeps and the pressure and relief at just barely squeaking through to the finish line was extremely gratifying.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Well, poo poo. I treated it like it was no gently caress-ups allowed. I'm glad though because it really felt like it was for keeps and the pressure and relief at just barely squeaking through to the finish line was extremely gratifying.
It sounds like this enhanced the experience for you, so... probably a good thing!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

That's not true. You get a screen that says "game over" and you get kicked to the main menu. You can keep going from the start of the loop though.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
The game really did ooze a lot of charm, I think. That first moment when you lay eyes on your ship, and it's this thing that even a Kerbal would think twice about flying in was just :discourse:

... Are the thrusters made of wood???

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

whitehowler has it wrong - if you die holding the core that powers the ash twin project, you do indeed die for realsies, game over. however the designers of the game aren't sadists and if you die for real you restart at the beginning of the loop as per usual, just without anything that you did being saved because it didn't 'happen'

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Huh, I don't remember that (because it happened to me).

Well, okay, either way, you can try again with no penalty.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it has to bow to gaming conventions in the end- you still have a save file and dying for real reverts to it, leaving the context of the game in the process. Even if they had tried to cut you off after one chance it would have been trivial to circumvent so just annoying and extremely not fun for all but the most hardcore.

There are a couple of other places you can die for realsies. The 22 minute timer is running throughout the tutorial, so if you take too long getting to the museum and linking to the statue or die to some accident before that you can get a premature game over. You can cause a time paradox in the high energy lab and destroy the universe. I think there's one or two others.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there's very little noticeable difference between a real death and a loop death. my first death was slipping and falling trying to climb out of the village crater in timber hearth, before i ever got the launch codes

this is why they make such a big deal of it if in the high energy lab you do the stupid thing and break space and time like a real knucklehead, though i'm sure the nomai would be mixed proud/horrified by your clumsy achievements

haveblue posted:

There are a couple of other places you can die for realsies. The 22 minute timer is running throughout the tutorial, so if you take too long getting to the museum and linking to the statue you can get a premature game over. You can cause a time paradox in the high energy lab and destroy the universe. I think there's one or two others.

i'm pretty sure that the timer doesn't kick in until you get the codes because i spent a loooong time dicking around on timber hearth just goggling at the world. but this was in the initial release version of the game

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah the timer doesn't start until the first save, because anything else would immediately turn off new players who just wanted to explore the area (and maybe fall down a geyser and drown)

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Yeah in all loops the actual timer doesn't start until you either enter the codes or blast off (not sure which.) You can however fall into the geysers and die before imprinting on the nomai statue, which gets you the bad ending.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
God drat there's like 7 places I feel I need to go but I can't find access to a single one.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

mastershakeman posted:

God drat there's like 7 places I feel I need to go but I can't find access to a single one.
People in this thread are good about giving somewhat vague hints that don't give everything away. Where are you stuck?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

WhiteHowler posted:

People in this thread are good about giving somewhat vague hints that don't give everything away. Where are you stuck?

Can't find my way to the lakebed cave on ember twin, southern observatory on brittle hollow , or what to do with the comet even when Im on it at what I think is the right time. I also got to a place with a big U shaped switch that did..something except I died right after and never found it again. Oh and I think I have "more to find" in the city full of sand but did make it to the anglerfish. Did I miss something in the eye workshop area? I thought I explored all 4 routes you light up there

Ive seen spoilers for how to bypass the current on giants deep but don't want to until I discover it myself, because I screwed up seeing about an access point in the glacier at brittle. I did make it there on my own following gravity paths but never found that egress and think I'm leaving part of it unexplored.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
So, uh, regarding the other game in the title of this thread: has anyone here played it? I just came across it in the Playstation store, and boy howdy does it look good.

I figure if the people who like Outer Wilds also like Outer Worlds, it is probably worth checking out.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

Can't find my way to the lakebed cave on ember twin,

it's easy to get here, it's what you do while you're here that can be tough to figure out

what did the nomai discover in this cave?

mastershakeman posted:

southern observatory on brittle hollow

a clue can be found with the cool glowing thing in the museum. where was it found?

you basically have to take a hike to get there

mastershakeman posted:

or what to do with the comet even when Im on it at what I think is the right time

there are two things to discover on the comet

one of the things is actually inside the comet

you are likely correct about the timing part. remember, comets are made of ice!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

So, uh, regarding the other game in the title of this thread: has anyone here played it? I just came across it in the Playstation store, and boy howdy does it look good.

I figure if the people who like Outer Wilds also like Outer Worlds, it is probably worth checking out.

outer worlds is pretty bad, it's super generic and forgettable

if you want to play it, don't pay more than a few bucks for it. you might get some entertainment out of it. i quit playing halfway through because it was just terminally dull

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
In regards to the lakebed cave, Think about what the notes said that were related to it. I don't know if you've reached the areas of the game that teach the concepts, but there is a big concept in the game that governs how some areas work.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

It's fallout but bad

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The only connection between Outer Wilds and Outer Worlds is that they are both Outer W*lds games. Outer Worlds is a fallout style game from the people who made New Vegas. If you liked FONV, then you might like Outer Worlds. Just keep in mind that the game is a mile wide and a few feet deep. As opposed to Outer Wilds which is pretty small but is very deep.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Cojawfee posted:

In regards to the lakebed cave, Think about what the notes said that were related to it. I don't know if you've reached the areas of the game that teach the concepts, but there is a big concept in the game that governs how some areas work.

[Spoiler] well I get the quantum rock if that's what you mean. I'm not even sure I've found the cave, I go straight down from your buddy up top who's jamming out to thousands of supernovas, and find....sand rising. There's stairs , I've gone up and down, I've tried I think 5 restarts where I beeline straight there , it's all dead ends. I'm even using the scout for extra light and I feel like I'm going at the wrong time or something but might just not be in the right spot at all despite being at the North Pole. North is red correct?
[/spoiler ]

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

well I get the quantum rock if that's what you mean. I'm not even sure I've found the cave, I go straight down from your buddy up top who's jamming out to thousands of supernovas, and find....sand rising. There's stairs , I've gone up and down, I've tried I think 5 restarts where I beeline straight there , it's all dead ends. I'm even using the scout for extra light and I feel like I'm going at the wrong time or something but might just not be in the right spot at all despite being at the North Pole. North is red correct?

If you found a cave down there at all then that's what you are looking for. Another hint I'll give is keep looking, even if you think you've already looked somewhere in that cave, look again

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

mastershakeman posted:

well I get the quantum rock if that's what you mean. I'm not even sure I've found the cave, I go straight down from your buddy up top who's jamming out to thousands of supernovas, and find....sand rising.

You can't walk to where you need to end up. Knowing what you've learned about the quantum rock, what would be another way to travel?

Also, there's a HUGE hint for this in another location. The Tower of Quantum Trials on Giant's Deep basically spells out everything quantum-related, and it's a shame that you can find it so late in the game.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
^^^ ah ok I'm looking in the wrong place

Cojawfee posted:

If you found a cave down there at all then that's what you are looking for. Another hint I'll give is keep looking, even if you think you've already looked somewhere in that cave, look again

I haven't that's the problem. Is that the right place to look though? I keep getting crushed while investigating

Back to running around brittle hollow I guess

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

mastershakeman posted:

^^^ ah ok I'm looking in the wrong place
You can walk to the starting point, but not to where you want to end up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It needs to be the first place you go when the loop starts. You have plenty of time to figure it out if you head straight for it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I appreciate the help, you guys are oblique as hell ! I'm gonna go stand for 22 minute on the sand a few times I guess. I have found a little tunnel in that spot that just dead ends and I did every time

Right now it seems the only place I can even make progress is brittle hollow which is frustrating. I think I get what to do to get to other spots I just don't know how to change the target from the white hole station. I'm assuming that can take me to the half dozen places I cant enter - ash twin, this lakebed cave area, forge, high energy lab

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 29, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

I appreciate the help, you guys are oblique as hell ! I'm gonna go stand for 22 minute on the sand a few times I guess. I have found a little tunnel in that spot that just dead ends and I did every time

you are making it to the correct spot. you just don't know what to do when you get there. standing around won't solve the puzzle

remember, why is this cave important? what did the nomai describe finding there?

you should come back later after you learn more about the behavior of quantum stuff

mastershakeman posted:

Right now it seems the only place I can even make progress is brittle hollow which is frustrating. I think I get what to do to get to other spots I just don't know how to change the target from the white hole station. I'm assuming that can take me to the half dozen places I cant enter - ash twin, this lakebed cave area, forge, high energy lab

you're on the wrong track here - teleporters are paired and cannot be retargeted. teleporter movement is important, but every teleporter set is fixed

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

luxury handset posted:

you are making it to the correct spot. you just don't know what to do when you get there. standing around won't solve the puzzle

remember, why is this cave important? what did the nomai describe finding there?

you should come back later after you learn more about the behavior of quantum stuff

you're on the wrong track here - teleporters are paired and cannot be retargeted. teleporter movement is important, but every teleporter set is fixed

For a more substantial hint, standing around WILL let you solve the puzzle. What matters is where you're standing. There's several areas in the game that you should probably get to first before trying this one, though, since it's a culmination of a couple of different concepts.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

luxury handset posted:

Thanks. I actually did just find a paired teleporter , finally realizing how to get to brittle hollow upside down from ash twin. Hooray

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 29, 2020

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

luxury handset posted:

if you want to play it, don't pay more than a few bucks for it. you might get some entertainment out of it. i quit playing halfway through because it was just terminally dull

Arrhythmia posted:

It's fallout but bad

Cojawfee posted:

Just keep in mind that the game is a mile wide and a few feet deep. As opposed to Outer Wilds which is pretty small but is very deep.

Aw :(

Oh, well. Thanks.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

luxury handset posted:

Thanks. That was going to be the next game I checked out in the 'Outer' series but I think I'll skip it based on your rec.

Pretty disappointing since it's Obsidian...

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Coq au Nandos posted:

Also major spoilers: it turns out there’s a way to beat the game without using the ship at all. This is an absolutely insane run. https://youtu.be/YLROMSxEkiQ

Digging up this link to a mind-blowing video of someone completing the game without ever launching their ship for the new audience. The video obviously spoils a bunch of late game stuff.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bedshaped posted:

Pretty disappointing since it's Obsidian...

that's probably why it is so disappointing - if it were some other random studio you'd never heard of the consensus might be "eh, average first attempt, i'll keep an eye on them to see the next game they make"

with the pedigree outer worlds had it is shocking how bland the final product was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

mastershakeman posted:

What's in the dead end you're talking about? I think there's another room it could be other than what everyone else is thinking you're meaning.