Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

anyone else think it's kind of odd that they force you into remastered graphics for multiplayer? not that i'm complaining, necessarily, i just don't really grok why you can't toggle it like you can offline.

tangentially related, i'm having a weird issue with red alert where for some reason i'm more or less locked into classic graphics offline. holding down space bar makes it go to remastered, but as soon as i let go it's back to that chunky 1996 goodness. this seems... less than ideal. googling tells me it's related to remapping the key, but i haven't done that, it's still just space.

Their PA guy explained why in a Reddit comment and iirc it has something to do with how they handle the sprite animations.

Edit: nm, looks like they were more vague than that:

quote:

Hi Hellofraydo, this is a great question and thanks for asking. The Petroglyph team had to pull off some code magic to get the real-time graphics swap, but it does have some technical limitations. Primarily, that the graphics swap only works in solo modes, which I think I mentioned in my original post. So to address your question specifically, all multiplayer games will only be in the remastered graphics. This also applies to replays and observer, since those use the multiplayer systems underneath. Hope this answer helps clarify and thanks for the support.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

nimby posted:

In the mission where you have to stop the nukes, I built up a mass of medium tanks, 1 apc of engineers and cleared a way through the trees in the north before triggering the 1 hour timer. Then I rushed in and got the building captured 4 minutes after the timer started because I remembered when we played it as kids, we spent nearly the whole hour disassembling the Soviet base before finishing it. Turns out the second part is impossible if you only have 5 minutes left.
I just beat that mission as well. Despite not having played it in over two decades, I still remembered my old strategy and it worked like a charm. 5 Longbows, 1 APC full of engineers, and about a dozen medium tanks. Use the Longbows to destroy the two sections of wall to allow access to the command center from the base while simultaneously sending the tanks to attack the Tesla coil along the way (mostly as distraction so that it doesn't destroy the APC). Send the APC in right after the tanks and through the base while the reds focus on your tanks, squish the one flame trooper nearby, and unload to the right of the command center to avoid the mines. The other tesla coil will destroy the APC while it's unloading, but the engineers will survive and capture the building no problem. Managed to get into the command center with almost 59:00 left on the clock.

I needed it too, because I forgot what you needed to do to get Tanya to show up in the following mission and wasted over 30 minutes running over almost every other part of the base trying to find her while my forces slowly got whittled down to almost nothing. Finished it with just one spy, one engineer, one medic, and Tanya.

One thing that I've remembered in replaying these games is that I will always use air and sea power to whittle down the enemy base as much as humanly possible before moving in with the tanks, even if it makes the missions take far longer than they normally would. It feels wrong to do anything else. Probably why I was never interested in multiplayer, since I'm sure that strategy would get me crushed, but it works great on the AI! Really eager to finally start getting to play with cruisers again. If you make sure your target is directly north/south/east/west of the cruiser, its cannons will be almost 100% accurate.

I was worried before dropping money on the remaster that I'd play it for an hour and get bored, but so far I've played through both TD campaigns & most of the allies campaign and I'm still loving it. I know I'll be playing the Soviet campaign too, and will probably mess around with both games' expansion missions before setting it aside. It makes me eager to play through the rest of the series which, aside from RA2, I've never touched for some reason.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

anyone else think it's kind of odd that they force you into remastered graphics for multiplayer? not that i'm complaining, necessarily, i just don't really grok why you can't toggle it like you can offline.
It means that the two visual front-end are not mechanically equivalent, and the usual netcode approach for RTS requires them to be, so the exact same computations run on all clients. It can be something stupid, like how the nuke doesn't spawn the same number of explosion sprites or infantry units have 8 idle sprite directions in HD and only 4 in the original. And you kinda fudge around that in single player when toggling but in multiplayer that won't synchronize so the toggle has to go.

Chev fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 28, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just realized that the silo mechanic is actually a brilliant design decision to make players spend their resources instead of uselessly hoarding them. Probably accidentally because it was added long before rts multiplayer was a thing. Losing the game while sitting on 10-15k credits, gee I wonder why that wasn't a win.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Jokymi posted:

One thing that I've remembered in replaying these games is that I will always use air and sea power to whittle down the enemy base as much as humanly possible before moving in with the tanks, even if it makes the missions take far longer than they normally would. It feels wrong to do anything else. Probably why I was never interested in multiplayer, since I'm sure that strategy would get me crushed, but it works great on the AI! Really eager to finally start getting to play with cruisers again. If you make sure your target is directly north/south/east/west of the cruiser, its cannons will be almost 100% accurate.

In Soviet level 11 you're supposed to land troops on the canyon beachhead that is mined. As kids we used Hind helicopters to clear out the entire area with force-attacks because an AT mine does half a Mammoth tank hp worth of damage.

In the remaster you can land on the beach, then drive from the beach to one of the cliffs and ignore the canyon if you micro manage a bit. Made for a more enjoyable game experience though. Wasting 5-10 minutes clearing out all the mines is a bit tedious, especially when after you think you're done you still hear that sproink and a V2 launcher evaporates.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

What I learned from playing the remake is the best use for the Mine Layer in Single Playernwas stopping the enemy landing their landing craft.

Since they always would land at the same one or two locations after you learned them you could preemptively mine them.

But if you put the mines at the shore line, then the space would be occupied and the AI wouldn't be able to off load it's units.
Their ships would sit there and you could blow them up.

I've only done this in the Allied Campaign, but I'd say it would also work with the Soviet anti Infantry mines too.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Poil posted:

I just realized that the silo mechanic is actually a brilliant design decision to make players spend their resources instead of uselessly hoarding them. Probably accidentally because it was added long before rts multiplayer was a thing. Losing the game while sitting on 10-15k credits, gee I wonder why that wasn't a win.

If tiberium had more worth or faster growth, building a silo might be feasible. In Red Alert, the silos are merely a cheaper way to extend my base out.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

nimby posted:

In Soviet level 11 you're supposed to land troops on the canyon beachhead that is mined. As kids we used Hind helicopters to clear out the entire area with force-attacks because an AT mine does half a Mammoth tank hp worth of damage.

In the remaster you can land on the beach, then drive from the beach to one of the cliffs and ignore the canyon if you micro manage a bit. Made for a more enjoyable game experience though. Wasting 5-10 minutes clearing out all the mines is a bit tedious, especially when after you think you're done you still hear that sproink and a V2 launcher evaporates.

Couldn't you just force attack the ground with the tanks that are already there?

I'm pretty sure none of the maps were redesigned for the remaster - I can remember skipping a mined canyon and driving right into the allied base in the original. And then I was completely stumped about why the map didn't finish, because I didn't see the camo pillboxes hidden behind the trees in the canyon.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

The Question IRL posted:

What I learned from playing the remake is the best use for the Mine Layer in Single Playernwas stopping the enemy landing their landing craft.

Since they always would land at the same one or two locations after you learned them you could preemptively mine them.

But if you put the mines at the shore line, then the space would be occupied and the AI wouldn't be able to off load it's units.
Their ships would sit there and you could blow them up.

I've only done this in the Allied Campaign, but I'd say it would also work with the Soviet anti Infantry mines too.

Hahaha that's 100% a bug.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Ditto on only just started doing the mining on the shore trick on this playthrough. Saw it in one of TaxOwlbear's Youtube videos. Its basically the sandbug trick in TD for naval transports.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Spookydonut posted:

Hahaha that's 100% a bug.

My favorite bug was instant free repair with repair pads in RA

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Nostalgamus posted:

Couldn't you just force attack the ground with the tanks that are already there?

I'm pretty sure none of the maps were redesigned for the remaster - I can remember skipping a mined canyon and driving right into the allied base in the original. And then I was completely stumped about why the map didn't finish, because I didn't see the camo pillboxes hidden behind the trees in the canyon.

Yeah, but our thinking was that then the Allied tanks get to take free shots on our mammoth tanks while we clear out the mines. Or something. We weren't the brightest tacticians back then (still aren't).

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

also it's funny how TD has barely any maps and the ones that are there mostly kind of suck, whereas RA1 has like a fuckzillion maps and a lot of really good 4p/8p ones, but only three 2p maps, two of which are similarly kind of balls

TD had a big fan mapping community. So Westwood didn't really bother because the fans had made them already. This is also why the Covert Ops missions are so murderous, they assumed everyone had already downloaded and played the easier stuff so to sell the expansion they advised it as "for hardcore players only".

Red Alert took longer to get a mission editor out (and WW were a bit suspicious of the whole idea in that era - I can remember an old interview where one of their managers said he'd essentially seen too many arseholes online use maps where one start had a field of gems and the other had only a handful of ore, so he didn't trust the players with a map editor - WW changed their mind eventually and bundled one with Aftermath).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Loxbourne posted:

TD had a big fan mapping community. So Westwood didn't really bother because the fans had made them already. This is also why the Covert Ops missions are so murderous, they assumed everyone had already downloaded and played the easier stuff so to sell the expansion they advised it as "for hardcore players only".

Red Alert took longer to get a mission editor out (and WW were a bit suspicious of the whole idea in that era - I can remember an old interview where one of their managers said he'd essentially seen too many arseholes online use maps where one start had a field of gems and the other had only a handful of ore, so he didn't trust the players with a map editor - WW changed their mind eventually and bundled one with Aftermath).

This is all fair enough, but it does make quick match and the TD official lobby a bit poo poo

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It would be cool to have the super mega tile size maps like in RA put into TD multiplayer now that the engines are the same.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I don't want them to put any effort into anything but Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun remasters right now.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

gary oldmans diary posted:

I don't want them to put any effort into anything but Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun remasters right now.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

:hmmyes:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I want things like

Hed posted:

It would be cool to have the super mega tile size maps like in RA put into TD multiplayer now that the engines are the same.

Because it'd be better to set a precedent that these games are actually going to be maintained and not just thrown out after one and a half bugfix patches or whatever. Surely there's enough programmers at Petroglyph that they can do an 80/20 split on their resources.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Id like them to actually put some effort into Tib Sun and add some of the features they couldnt previously.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'd want them to put some actual color into TS so it's not all brown, gray and more brown. :v:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Burns posted:

Id like them to actually put some effort into Tib Sun and add some of the features they couldnt previously.

Poil posted:

I'd want them to put some actual color into TS so it's not all brown, gray and more brown. :v:

To be fair there's also some red.

But good luck with that. I'd like to see those features finished too, but you'd get a very different game. You'd require significant coding in an engine no-one has touched for decades. It's not going to happen. Maybe some bugfixes if we're lucky.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The good news is that RA2YR is pretty solid gameplay wise and wouldn't need much more than a facelift visually. I'd rather they improve the netcode. No clue how much more difficult that would be but fixing the latency alone would make it worthy of yet another purchase. And the time and money they don't spend on it they could improve TS; it's my least favorite of the C&C games I've played and it's because it's ugly and slow. Great atmosphere though!

My greatest hope is they adopt the wc3 model for RA2... Daily tournaments with varying formats (1v1 on x map, general 1v1, x faction 1v1, etc), Arranged team games, random team games, FFAs. Patches not just to address balance issues but also mix up the meta a little bit. It's bullshit Iraq is the only soviet faction you'll usually see in serious games. Channel icons for games won milestones. Stuff like that

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Milo and POTUS posted:

My greatest hope is they adopt the wc3 model for RA2... Daily tournaments with varying formats (1v1 on x map, general 1v1, x faction 1v1, etc), Arranged team games, random team games, FFAs. Patches not just to address balance issues but also mix up the meta a little bit. It's bullshit Iraq is the only soviet faction you'll usually see in serious games. Channel icons for games won milestones. Stuff like that
Taking a more AOE2:HD approach and working on the balance and fixing exploits and such could actually work with RA2. It's still got a pretty big multiplayer scene on CNCNet and I imagine most games are played with the Yuri rebalance patch on.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

If there's one major thing, it's RA and TD path-finding needs to be updated for the sake of sanity and not for ~~Being Faithful To The Original~~

Just fix these things, no one is going to defend it for purity's sake.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 29, 2020

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
There's a mod that says it covers that, but when I was using it my harvester would return to the refinery and just sit there every single time.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The pathfinding is so bad. If I select a group of units and click to attack an enemy unit, some of them will get in range and start shooting, others will just walk right up next to the target, and the rest will just stand still. It sucks rear end.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

The best pathfinding/logic is when you ask artillery or V2 launchers to attack static defence and they just casually roll up right in front of it and get obliterated.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Escape Goat posted:

The best pathfinding/logic is when you ask artillery or V2 launchers to attack static defence and they just casually roll up right in front of it and get obliterated.

Lost 6 artillery to this bug last mission using a mod that supposedly improves path finding lol. Its the worst.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Editing V2s so they're melee but carry nukes

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I save scum large engagements because there seems to be so much randomness to outcomes on account of the weird pathfinding.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is an existing unit, though

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Won't RA2/TS have enough art that it will require substantially more effort to remake? I checked the amount of units and it's not too bad, 10~ more per faction and a few more buildings but then they both have expansion units, more map variety etc. It could be twice as much work per game.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

There's a mod that says it covers that, but when I was using it my harvester would return to the refinery and just sit there every single time.

It's more that it needs to be in the game by default. Crash-n-turn pathfinding should crash and burn.

Even attacking things with small groups of units can be flakey as hell, and things like unarmed units taking an attack order as a "I will walk as close to this flame tower for warmth in this harsh winter" before getting napalmed.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
My internet has been spotty but enough to continue to watch a good TD / RA player online. Byran Vahey

He mentioned on how moving with tanks using macros during combat in TD/RA might seem awkward but its enough to have a competitive edge online and even skirmish. I skipped ahead in the video where he explains it. But if you move back a bit he has some easy to understand and master learning Q move micro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcGKW8y_oJo&t=141s

He does some hilarious poo poo online and one of my favorite players.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Chronojam posted:

This is an existing unit, though

Oh poo poo I forgot about the demo trucks.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Carecat posted:

Won't RA2/TS have enough art that it will require substantially more effort to remake? I checked the amount of units and it's not too bad, 10~ more per faction and a few more buildings but then they both have expansion units, more map variety etc. It could be twice as much work per game.

TS still has quite a bit of visual crossover between GDI and Nod so most structures and some units are still the same. RA2 is where the visual uniqueness of the factions is really apparent though.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
There's a mod that makes units use A* pathfinding with is an improvement but not perfect. You can't use JPS because it's not uniform cost and PSO/ant colony are a lot of work to implement.

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is one of the expansion missions. V2s have nuke but the range on it places the V2 inside the explosion radius. Heavy tanks are mobile tesla coils, etc

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Escape Goat posted:

No the best Pathfinding/logic is on Subs.

I tried Soviet Mission 5, built a large pack of subs to take out the Allied ships.

I would send the su s to attack and watch as half of them would not move at all, half would go up to the enemy boats in clumps so the depth charges would hit multiple subs at the same time.
And in the piece de Resistance, one Sub would swim up point blank to the enemy boat so that it would block some of the torpedoes from hitting the boat.

The only way I won was due to weight of numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Yeah the main issue with game pathfinding is units act as if they are the only one, they don't (correctly) act as a swarm.