Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I suggest we bookmark this Discord as a landing pad. It's one of the bigger SA Gamer discords with a few thousand members and has a chat for strategy games already set up.

https://discord.gg/M957VB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Well, I would like it if on the other end of this there were still the SA forum but it’s hard to imagine anyone stepping up to lose money on this, or really wanting someone who would to do so instead of putting that cash directly into bail funds or mutual aid projects.

Just in case, it was an honor to have posted with y’all fine beings. This will probably be the only thread ever renamed to quote me :smith:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

Well, I would like it if on the other end of this there were still the SA forum but it’s hard to imagine anyone stepping up to lose money on this, or really wanting someone who would to do so instead of putting that cash directly into bail funds or mutual aid projects.

Just in case, it was an honor to have posted with y’all fine beings. This will probably be the only thread ever renamed to quote me :smith:

I'll keep posting here while everything shakes out, but lets be real, we don't want to give money to or support this site anymore. Where everyone will go is still up in the air but many of us are in the process of moving to https://breadnroses.net/. It's a more lefty site attempting to fill the void - focused on politics but it has games, cooking, tech, etc subforums. So we can still fulfill our nerdy posting needs without being in a... toxic place.

I don't know all the details but it sounds like they're letting people in for free atm, via a (large, crowded) queue for admin approval. Otherwise you can pay :10bux: to get in, same as here. Join us!

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Wow. Any more screenshots?

Yes, an old album on Imgur. I've made a lot of improvements to "The Smelter Base" since then. Thinking of putting this save up as a multiplayer game to help rebuild the science base. It all works, but there are many improvements, aesthetic and logistic, to be made. It's a daunting task!

https://imgur.com/gallery/0qQXsUU - Work in progress from last year. Kind of a first draft, if you will, to check function before rebuilding to form.

https://imgur.com/gallery/3mG62PE - Improved Smelter Base. I've removed a bunch of redundant balancers and all the storage warehouses since these pics, they were killing UPS.

You can see how I'd like the main science base to have the same aesthetic as the "new" smelter. There are many improvements I'd like to implement with belt routing and overall layouts/placement.

I think a lot of it was a fevered dream...

Oh and in case you were wondering how many gears it takes to make just Purple Belts from Factorio Extended Plus (4500 items/min), they need their own sub-base.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I like the glyphs you put in there

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Finally launched a rocket in Krastorio, thought I was going to go crazy with all the different building blocks for everything. I can't imagine trying Angels/Bobs anytime soon. I don't think I'll go back to vanilla, like having the warehouses and loaders too much to give them up. Now just got to get my launch speed up to once per minute.

Had a question about LTN though. I'm using the blueprint from earlier in the thread for the stations and it's been working great once I understood how it worked and what wires do what. I'm thinking about changing from the standard two cargo wagons to three for bulk items like ore and one for smaller refined items that I don't necessarily need as much of like space research. Is it just a matter of changing the LTN stops to have a max train length? What about if I want one drop off location to only request one car of something like red circuits, but have another be able to request three cars?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

diremonk posted:

Finally launched a rocket in Krastorio, thought I was going to go crazy with all the different building blocks for everything. I can't imagine trying Angels/Bobs anytime soon. I don't think I'll go back to vanilla, like having the warehouses and loaders too much to give them up. Now just got to get my launch speed up to once per minute.

Had a question about LTN though. I'm using the blueprint from earlier in the thread for the stations and it's been working great once I understood how it worked and what wires do what. I'm thinking about changing from the standard two cargo wagons to three for bulk items like ore and one for smaller refined items that I don't necessarily need as much of like space research. Is it just a matter of changing the LTN stops to have a max train length? What about if I want one drop off location to only request one car of something like red circuits, but have another be able to request three cars?

There are a few ways to go about it, but what you probably want is separate networks for ore versus intermediate and final goods. Standardize on 4 car trains for the ore network and 2 car trains for the other one.

Also set your provider stations to only fulfil the request, not to work until the car is filled.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Majere posted:

Yes, an old album on Imgur. I've made a lot of improvements to "The Smelter Base" since then. Thinking of putting this save up as a multiplayer game to help rebuild the science base. It all works, but there are many improvements, aesthetic and logistic, to be made. It's a daunting task!

https://imgur.com/gallery/0qQXsUU - Work in progress from last year. Kind of a first draft, if you will, to check function before rebuilding to form.

https://imgur.com/gallery/3mG62PE - Improved Smelter Base. I've removed a bunch of redundant balancers and all the storage warehouses since these pics, they were killing UPS.

You can see how I'd like the main science base to have the same aesthetic as the "new" smelter. There are many improvements I'd like to implement with belt routing and overall layouts/placement.

I think a lot of it was a fevered dream...

Oh and in case you were wondering how many gears it takes to make just Purple Belts from Factorio Extended Plus (4500 items/min), they need their own sub-base.

Jesus man, 18k SPM is ridiculous. How is your ups generally? I'm doing a 2k right now and UPs already taking a hit cos of poor trains I think.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Jesus man, 18k SPM is ridiculous. How is your ups generally? I'm doing a 2k right now and UPs already taking a hit cos of poor trains I think.

Using a console command to kill all Biters on discovered territory took me from ~30 UPS straight back up to 60. I'm convinced Biters are the biggest UPS hit.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Biters and pollution are both huge ups hits. I don't know if you can turn off pollution mid-game or not, though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've been wanting to get back into this game for a good few months now. Last time I played was November 2019, but only for a few hours. Has there been any major changes since then? Is there a big update on the horizon? If there's something big being added in the next few weeks, I'll just hold off and start a game when it's released, but I haven't been following this game for a long time.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
The core game and tech tree hasn't changed much. Their in polish mode and have overhauled the GUI and updated all the graphics to HD. The 1.0 release is slated for... August now?

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

necrotic posted:

Biters and pollution are both huge ups hits. I don't know if you can turn off pollution mid-game or not, though.

Looks like you can:

https://wiki.factorio.com/Console#Completely_turn_off_pollution

code:
/c for _, surface in pairs(game.surfaces) do
  surface.clear_pollution()
end
game.map_settings.pollution.enabled = false
And if that wouldn't have worked there's always the Change Map Settings mod. It let's you change everything you did at map generation. Changes in ore and stuff will only apply to undiscovered chunks, but pollution shouldn't be an issue.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It depends what PC I'm on, my desktop (older i7, 16gb ram, with a gtx960?) can run the base at about 45-50 UPS, depending on whats going on, running science full steam. I think factorio hogs about 12gb of ram while this map is loaded. Creative Mode eats a little bit, maybe 5-7. Still some UPS optimizations to be done for the large production blocks. I need to figure out how to clock inserters to all swing at the same time with full hands...I saw some post about that on reddit or youtube base tour but I lost it. The biggest UPS killers for me have been inline warehouse(Angels) buffers and large balancers, 32+ belts. Have to keep splitters to a minimum, so any extraneous balancers have to go. Generally the bigger you go, the fewer things moving is better. The base has biters and pollution turned off as well, no need wasting cpu cycles on that nonsense!

If I'm on my laptop, I can just design. Still 60 UPS idle but chugs along at like 20 UPS as the base gets going.

I'm building a "scale model" 2.7K SPM blue belt base to help optimize layout, much easier to move things around and experiment. Although some designs are only possible with the extended underground length of the purple belts.... and loaders. Technically I could use only blue belts, but using Extended Plus cuts down the number of belts. For example we would need the equivalent of about 450 blue belts worth of copper plate vs a mere 260 purple belts.

TSM mod is a must for the amount of trains the base has. Helps regulate traffic. I think it will help yours as well if you think train pathing is an issue, usually it isn't unless you have 1000 trains trying to path on 2 rails or something.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Is there a mod that improves coal-fired furnaces, like GotLag's Electric Furnaces does for that type? I don't want to have to rip out all the infrastructure I set up for my research base if I don't have to. I'm looking for something that improves the coal-fired furnaces to have crafting speeds of 3 and 4 if that even exists.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

DoubleNegative posted:

Is there a mod that improves coal-fired furnaces, like GotLag's Electric Furnaces does for that type? I don't want to have to rip out all the infrastructure I set up for my research base if I don't have to. I'm looking for something that improves the coal-fired furnaces to have crafting speeds of 3 and 4 if that even exists.

You're belts are already at capacity. Are you planning on upgrading them and whatever is using the output too?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

LLSix posted:

You're belts are already at capacity. Are you planning on upgrading them and whatever is using the output too?

If need be I will plop down row after row of warehouses to store the excess. :v:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DoubleNegative posted:

If need be I will plop down row after row of warehouses to store the excess. :v:

That will not improve your rate of production at all.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why don't you build the line of smelters longer? IIRC it's 48 stone smelters to a single yellow belt or something. It might have been 24 I can't remember. In all my games, I've never bothered with the electric furnaces, I just stick with stone.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Electric furnaces have three purposes:

- Simplify logistics by smelting somewhere you only have ores, not coal
- Reduce pollution by using clean solar or nuclear power for smelting instead of fossil fuels
- Modules

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the only time i'll keep around steel furnaces is if i'm swimming in rocket fuel from excess oil byproducts, but by the end i'm 80% electric

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Is there an official channel for feature requests? I'm trying to implement the intended use case for the two accumulator types in Realistic Power (high-capacity ones that should start discharging first, with the high-output ones only active if the high-cap ones have reached max output), and the simplest way I can think of achieving that are sending a circuit signal with either total network satisfaction, or the current output of high-cap accumulators. Neither of those signals exist as far as I can tell.

I guess I could do this by using a clock to compare current accumulator charge to its charge 1 second ago, but that's awkward, and I have very little experience with circuits.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 7, 2020

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I finally "finished" my 1k SPM megabase a while ago. I am now up to around 1,000 rockets and I'm still optimizing/squashing bugs. Also switching over to solar power.

I did have a problem with nuclear power though. My power readout would read correctly for the number of steam turbines I had unless I got near max usage. For example it would say 6GW of production and the factory would work fine. Then if something changed and power draw went up it would read something like 3GW of production. I didn't have any accumulators so it wasn't counting those. Is it that the pumps I'm using to move steam to the turbines lose power? If so how do I isolate the reactor so it always receives power?

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Could you post a picture of the reactor and turbine setup?

edit: if you're hitting a brownout the pumps will run slower and less steam will be provided to the turbines.

Isolating parts of the power grid is done by using Copper Wire and running it along a existing power line, this deletes the line, but leaves the pole/substation. The setup below is what I use (in Krastorio, it works the same in vanilla though) for my water pumps to keep ensure they're always running. The substation accumulator and solar panel don't provide power to anything other than those pumps.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 7, 2020

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Travic posted:

I finally "finished" my 1k SPM megabase a while ago. I am now up to around 1,000 rockets and I'm still optimizing/squashing bugs. Also switching over to solar power.

I did have a problem with nuclear power though. My power readout would read correctly for the number of steam turbines I had unless I got near max usage. For example it would say 6GW of production and the factory would work fine. Then if something changed and power draw went up it would read something like 3GW of production. I didn't have any accumulators so it wasn't counting those. Is it that the pumps I'm using to move steam to the turbines lose power? If so how do I isolate the reactor so it always receives power?
Probably a heat pipe problem. As long as you don't need all your steam it works. But once you start using it all, your boilers start drawing maximum heat and the heat pipes get overloaded.
You can check to see if there are heatpipes/boilers at the borderline temp.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Galvanik posted:

Could you post a picture of the reactor and turbine setup?

edit: if you're hitting a brownout the pumps will run slower and less steam will be provided to the turbines.

Isolating parts of the power grid is done by using Copper Wire and running it along a existing power line, this deletes the line, but leaves the pole/substation. The setup below is what I use (in Krastorio, it works the same in vanilla though) for my water pumps to keep ensure they're always running. The substation accumulator and solar panel don't provide power to anything other than those pumps.

I will as soon as I get home.

VictualSquid posted:

Probably a heat pipe problem. As long as you don't need all your steam it works. But once you start using it all, your boilers start drawing maximum heat and the heat pipes get overloaded.
You can check to see if there are heatpipes/boilers at the borderline temp.

Interesting. I think I am cutting it pretty close actually. I'll check when I get home.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can someone give a rundown of what Krastorio does? I briefly read the mod page and it seems like an amazing mod that I'd enjoy, as it doesn't turn the game into a hellish logistical puzzle.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Generally adds additional steps at each stage of the game ramping up from 'little change in early game' to 'a lot of changes in late game'. Kind of one of the vanilla+ difficulties (still easier than most of the other major mod-packs).

Unless you're asking about Krastorio 2, in which case I have no idea.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Qubee posted:

Can someone give a rundown of what Krastorio does? I briefly read the mod page and it seems like an amazing mod that I'd enjoy, as it doesn't turn the game into a hellish logistical puzzle.

It adds a degree of complexity to the main game. More recipes, new base resources, new intermediate products.

Compare to something like Pymods that adds an order of magnitude (or more) to that complexity.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Qubee posted:

If you’re talking about K2 (there’s a legacy original version still up for folks who prefer it/have very old saves), it changes the early game by starting you off in a field of debris which deconstruct to intermediate materials, except for a few Assembler chunks, a Lab chunk, and a Power Core chunk which provides like 3-400kW, so you have some basic powered automation available which run alongside the burner factory while you build it up into steam power, and most early recipes vs vanilla have an extra layer of intermediate manufacturing required.

As said above, that extra complexity escalates as you get further down the tech tree. It’s the mod I would recommend for a player who feels like they’re Done With Vanilla or mostly-vanilla Factorio, but still want to play and are looking for “Factorio, but More, but also not as much as X Conversion Mod.”

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

To me Krastorio 2 strikes a good balance between adding extra complexity but not getting bogged down with endless intermediate products like AngelBob's.

The main differences are
-science packs are redesigned, and two three new post rocket launch tiers of science are added
-adds in two new metal types: Rare Metal, and Immersium. Rare Metal is used for blue circuits and beyond, and immersium is used for super science
-makes stone more useful by adding a silicon and glass processing
-adds in ammonia making and another type of acid
-after nuclear power, you can make fusion plants, and then antimatter reactors
-a bunch of new military toys to play with: M1 Abrams looking super tank, rocket launcher turrets, laser artillery, and a super laser rifle that destroys everything in it's path

edit: The couple of extra intermediate products make it a bit more challenging than vanilla Factorio, but it's more of a natural advancement than a paradigm shift. A lot of the designs you're already using will slot into Krastorio with minimal changes. My krastorio starter base and oil refinery are nearly identical to my vanilla setup, for instance.

The mod also adds Krastorio-chan to the game's start window. If you want that sort of thing.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 7, 2020

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nobody has mentioned it, but a really important part of Krastorio in the early game is that it takes a lot more ore to smelt a plate, so the early game is substantially slowed by that, and you need to get more ore resources earlier for a given amount of factory building.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

The Locator posted:

Nobody has mentioned it, but a really important part of Krastorio in the early game is that it takes a lot more ore to smelt a plate, so the early game is substantially slowed by that, and you need to get more ore resources earlier for a given amount of factory building.

Plates, plural. Furnaces process a recipe of 10 ore to 5 plates, so double ore usage. However, science packs use quite a bit less materials than normal, and I was able to sustain 60spm of each science up to blue with a relatively modest smelting setup.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ambaire posted:

Plates, plural. Furnaces process a recipe of 10 ore to 5 plates, so double ore usage. However, science packs use quite a bit less materials than normal, and I was able to sustain 60spm of each science up to blue with a relatively modest smelting setup.

Thanks for the correct numbers. I just remember it was slower and more ore intensive than vanilla and nobody had pointed it out. I think it's a pretty important change in the early game.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

The Locator posted:

Thanks for the correct numbers. I just remember it was slower and more ore intensive than vanilla and nobody had pointed it out. I think it's a pretty important change in the early game.

I'm glad K2 went with a 2:1 ratio for early smelting over the originals 3:1. That really slowed down the start of the game.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok here's the setup I'm using. Fair warning, I went a little crazy with pumps because I was having trouble getting steam to the turbines. I also sacrificed some efficiency to make it scale up easier.

Here's the nuclear reactor row.

This is the boiler section. I opted for more pipes simply because heat travels even worse than steam.

Finally the turbines. Not much to see here. There are no pumps further down the line. Do they need pumps midway down to keep flow up or is it not an issue?

It was running fine when I was on before, but I'm about to log in again and stress it some more to see if I can make it fault.

:edit: Yep. It's a heat pipe problem. Turned off half the reactor so the remaining half would have to work at full speed. I have 13 boilers in each row. Boilers 1-12 work at full efficiency. Boiler 13 is 79/103 and the last heat pipe segment is 501 C. Don't know if I can make it any shorter to get that boiler up to full though.

Any tips on how to make my reactor better?

Travic fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 8, 2020

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Travic posted:

Ok here's the setup I'm using. Fair warning, I went a little crazy with pumps because I was having trouble getting steam to the turbines. I also sacrificed some efficiency to make it scale up easier.

I'm absolutely not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but here are a couple ways you could make the total heatpipe distance slightly shorter.

1 - You can place your purple/blue chests 1 spot closer. A red inserter works fine with a 3 distance instead of 4.

2 - You can put your water and pumps on the opposite end of the boiler columns, that will move everything another 4 spots closer (I think).

3 - If you eliminate the heat pipes along the top/bottom of the reactors that aren't really doing anything except redundant heat transfer from reactor to reactor, you can move your chests yet another spot closer and use regular short handled inserters.

If you combine 2 & 3 you will move everything 6 spaces closer to the reactors, which in theory means 2 boilers of distance closer.

I'm sure there are smarter people who might have better solutions. I know the reactor designs I've mostly used are not the 2xX configuration so I've always made my steam boiler lines a bit wider with a double-row of heat pipe in between them for longer runs, but shorter runs with a single pipe is probably the best solution.

If placement of power poles is a problem, remember you can use substations!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

The Locator posted:

I'm absolutely not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but here are a couple ways you could make the total heatpipe distance slightly shorter.

1 - You can place your purple/blue chests 1 spot closer. A red inserter works fine with a 3 distance instead of 4.

2 - You can put your water and pumps on the opposite end of the boiler columns, that will move everything another 4 spots closer (I think).

3 - If you eliminate the heat pipes along the top/bottom of the reactors that aren't really doing anything except redundant heat transfer from reactor to reactor, you can move your chests yet another spot closer and use regular short handled inserters.

If you combine 2 & 3 you will move everything 6 spaces closer to the reactors, which in theory means 2 boilers of distance closer.

I'm sure there are smarter people who might have better solutions. I know the reactor designs I've mostly used are not the 2xX configuration so I've always made my steam boiler lines a bit wider with a double-row of heat pipe in between them for longer runs, but shorter runs with a single pipe is probably the best solution.

If placement of power poles is a problem, remember you can use substations!

Thanks. I've give these a try.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I was messing around with that arrangement and the problem is the throughput of the various pipes. The load on the heat pipes is more than one line can carry. And the steam pipes were underfilled given the number of heat exchangers, causing the turbines to run at lower capacity.

With some changes to your design it's possible to get everything running.

26 heat exchangers, being powered by 8 equivalent reactors, and 44 turbines, per row. With 15 rows, for 660 turbines, all stably running at max capacity of 3.8GW for 1 hour.

The changes

I ran a second heat pipe line up and spliced it into the middle of the heat exchanger line. This keeps them all hot and the final exchangers are steady at ~540c.

To run a second heat pipe line, you need to fill in a 1 tile wide path between the two middle offshore pumps. Also note the spacing that allows roboports to be added in as needed without changing the tileable blueprint.

To much steam was being produced to fit into the pipes in the original so I split each in half. Three of the pipes feed right into the turbines. The fourth runs up the gap between rows and is spliced in after 8 turbines.

A close up of the splice

And a zoom out of the whole shebang

This design will grind to a halt if you lose power because of all the pumps, and I feel like you could probably fuss with it some more to get the ideal ratio of heat exchangers and turbines to reactors. But it's three am and working is better than perfect.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Cool. I like the second line to boost the temperature back up. Do you lose much heat having it spaced out? Even with the booster line? I was reading on the wiki that you get about 45 tiles of heat pipe before you start losing heat which is...not much. I'd like to get to the theoretical maximum of 48 heat exchangers per 4 reactors, but it may not be possible.

The factory is pretty much done, but....must...optimize...more.

Thank you for working on my design at 3AM :)

Travic fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 8, 2020