Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Infinitum posted:

Very quickly on the topic of Intrepid: I don't think it's a game I would personally enjoy, but I love that it's basically this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKW-Gd_S_xc
turned into a board game.
The absence of Russia is kinda strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Crokinole is the weirdest poo poo. It has no business being as fun as it is.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Infinitum posted:

Before I toddle off to bed there's a couple of KS that might interest goons

1822 - The Railways of Great Britain is closing in just under 24hrs. Apparently you nerds like 18xx games.
Tales of BarBEARia - Under 60hrs. Cute looking dice/drafting/battle game. I was personally considering backing it, but I'm tapped out of my EOFY slush funds. (They're educational tools people :v:)

I'm probably pausing backing anything else for a bit I think. The Mayday Crokinole 2020 board is probably my last big pickup for the year. They also registered on the forums recently, so feel free to annoy them and they might answer questions for you. They actually came into the main thread to address quality concerns a little while ago.
It's also dope that they're finally shipping to more places than just the US+Canada, so I'm actually getting it direct shipped via the campaign.

I got one of Mayday's boards and I think it's very good for the price. There's a couple of minor staining irregularities on mine, but it's flat, plays well, waxes up good, looks nice, etc. I'm sure super enthusiasts who have a perfect $500 Crokinole board would find reasons to look down on it, but for $100 I feel like you really can't go wrong.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

I feel like Kickstarter has largely failed as a "help me make my dream product come true" platform but it's killing it as far as a highly-visible preorder platform.

Yeah, the problem with that was that a lot of dreams just don't come true even if they raise $32000, and people get pissed if they get no return on their $25 pledge (look at how often the word "scam" is tossed around even when it's clear the creators just failed). I think that approach was doomed to die out, or at least become secondary.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, the problem with that was that a lot of dreams just don't come true even if they raise $32000, and people get pissed if they get no return on their $25 pledge (look at how often the word "scam" is tossed around even when it's clear the creators just failed). I think that approach was doomed to die out, or at least become secondary.

Yeah; "best practices" advice for running AND backing a Kickstarter turned into "make sure there's a fully realized prototype, and there's experience with mass quantities of shipping" and so on and so forth so anything that couldn't be handled by one or two people ended up having to be from a big company. I still back lots of little zine projects, or stuff from people making singular enamel pins or whatever, but I get really critical of people trying to over deliver.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Zurai posted:

Crokinole is the weirdest poo poo. It has no business being as fun as it is.

I know! My parents have a set that belonged to my grandparents, and my nephew frigging loves playing it.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Snaps and dang, on the one hand I'd really like to grab that Crokinole board. On the other, I can't really justify the price right now. Hopefully it won't be too many years before they open again...

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
If I hadn't spent too much money on a dexterity game I basically never play (Catacombs) I would totally consider blowing some money on Crokinole because it seems better in almost every way. As it is though I probably can't afford to spend a bunch of money on something that will take up space that I don't really have.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Speaking of weird KS Marketing Moves. The Intrepid Kickstarter is offering backers a "Free Expansion Valued At $30! Wow!" incentive.. but like... if you are offering that $30 to literally everybody are you not making a statement that Base Game+1st Expansion is the intended way to play the game? Are you not simply giving people at retail a lesser product?

Box that poo poo in! Kickstarters should be used to improve the quality of the final product as much as possible! If you're going to go that route simply call it what it loving is and offer backers a Base Version and a Deluxe Version. I guess I'm just a big softie for smaller campaigns that get to go "Yay we hit this stretch goal and now we can use better card stock! Here's screen printed meeples! Want some better dice? You got it bud!"

I don’t necessarily think it’s saying that the expansion is a de facto requirement to play. It seems more like a way to entice people to back now rather than wait until the game comes out.

And Fowers/Beck have never struck me as particularly bad or deceptive people so I can’t imagine it’s being done with any ill intent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Redundant posted:

If I hadn't spent too much money on a dexterity game I basically never play (Catacombs) I would totally consider blowing some money on Crokinole because it seems better in almost every way. As it is though I probably can't afford to spend a bunch of money on something that will take up space that I don't really have.

Crokinole takes up very little space in conventional terms. My board hangs on the wall when it isn't in use and the carrying bag is in the bottom of my wardrobe with the four sets of discs in the pouch.

But don't worry about missing out. Mayfair do a Crokinole Kickstarter every year (or possibly every other year, I forget).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The only thing keeping me from investing in a Crokinole board is that it's at its most fun with 2 players and I'm never in that situation. It's always either solo gaming or group gaming for me. Bachelor problems, I guess.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zurai posted:

The only thing keeping me from investing in a Crokinole board is that it's at its most fun with 2 players and I'm never in that situation. It's always either solo gaming or group gaming for me. Bachelor problems, I guess.

Strange, we have the most fun with the four player team variant.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The new Torg Eternity kickstarter for Tharkold launched a few days ago and has a better setup than the last few they did; now you can just get the book and cards up front and not get buried in PDFs.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bodanarko posted:

Look at Stonemaier games as an a example of what can go wrong w/o KS (obviously other self-inflicted issues wrt Stegmaier himself too).

Wingspan: Underproduced and not in stock reliably anywhere until a year after first release. Some of that is due to SM accidentally ordering thousands less than intended or something ridiculous but still.
I don't think KS was the solution there. Plenty of KS games have had supply issues after their initial campaign, and Wingspan's huge success was due to amazing word out of mouth and appealing to a broad audience (ie more than just people who back KS).

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Just put out a big Roleplayer's Guide To Heists update to backers. If you've been sleeping the updates you may wanna check this one out, it includes a full preview of the book, missing just a few heists worth of artwork. Every heist we wrote (besides one bonus one) is there.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jedit posted:

Crokinole takes up very little space in conventional terms. My board hangs on the wall when it isn't in use and the carrying bag is in the bottom of my wardrobe with the four sets of discs in the pouch.

But don't worry about missing out. Mayfair do a Crokinole Kickstarter every year (or possibly every other year, I forget).

Any chance you could post your wall hanging solution for future reference? :nyoron:

My only concern with wall hanging is the eye hooklets eventually coming out, ending with the board smashing into the ground and breaking :ohdear:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Any chance you could post your wall hanging solution for future reference? :nyoron:

My only concern with wall hanging is the eye hooklets eventually coming out, ending with the board smashing into the ground and breaking :ohdear:

It's literally just a screw and eyelet that came with it. Drill hole one inch deep in wall, hammer in the eyelet, screw in the screw, hang board with the notch on the back. It's been there four or five years no trouble.

If you can't drill into the wall for landlording reasons, I'm afraid you're on your own.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Infinitum posted:

I'm probably pausing backing anything else for a bit I think. The Mayday Crokinole 2020 board is probably my last big pickup for the year. They also registered on the forums recently, so feel free to annoy them and they might answer questions for you. They actually came into the main thread to address quality concerns a little while ago.
It's also dope that they're finally shipping to more places than just the US+Canada, so I'm actually getting it direct shipped via the campaign.

Oh man, thanks for sharing the mayday board. I'd been thinking about getting a board for my wife for xmas (she played at a bar at some point and loved it) and $100 seems like too good a deal to pass up. Plus goon recommendations that the boards are good quality.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I just love this subthread. All kinds of discussion and argument over enormous board games and mini-fests, which are cool, and then...

"Holy poo poo, crokinole!"

Makes me smile. I can't help it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

With Crokinole I guess I had known of it for a couple of years after seeing it around conventions or BGG or wherever, but I never really paid attention to it out of a "huh neat" passing glance.

It wasn't until I was at a house party that coincided with a friend of a friend's party where he got gifted a Crokinole board for his birthday that I got a chance to play it.

Once setup it was basically the centre of the room for the entire evening. If you weren't playing it, you were watching it. Games of 1v1, 2v2, or 1v1v1v1 were played, and it was fantastic either flicking discs or watching people swear their heads off when the hosed up an easy shot.

Def going to get some wax and that sweet sweet gloss powder. It feels soooooooooooo good sliding discs across that board and ricocheting your opponents discs into the gutter where they goddamn belong, as yours comes to a rest in the centre
feels_good.jpg

Crokinole is great, but you don't realise just how great until you get a chance to play it.

I can't speak for the quality of the Mayday boards, but I will say that I have been doing a lot to do reading and recent years there don't seem to be any glaring issues that stopped me from backing the campaign.
I've also been waiting for the 2020 campaign to start and I know what I'm getting.
It's an entry level Crokinole board, the size you want, with a curved edge so you can shuttle pucks back to your opponents around the rim, and they're now shipping to more countries.

All the extra add-on poo poo I can pick up later here in Australia

Edit: I'm also not gonna corporate shill for anyone, if it arrives and the board has issues I'm going to call a spade a spade.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 1, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I have several bottles of gliss powder that came with my board and I've never used it.

I would always recommend a tournament board if you can get one. They're only a couple of inches bigger than beginners boards, but it's a big difference for gameplay. I note that Mayday are only doing tournament boards, though, so that's alright.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I have literally nothing to say about Worldwide Tennis other than it looks like AC-Bu did the cover art :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJE1HoHabMw

:allears:

Jedit posted:

I note that Mayday are only doing tournament boards, though, so that's alright.

:hmmyes:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm sort of amazed how quickly Big Child's new kickstarter has taken off. It's made in an hour or so what their last one did in 3 weeks. I guess realistic-ish Arthurian characters are a bigger draw than cartoony dwarfs.

(There's one borderline :nws: model in there) https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bigchildcreatives/echoes-of-camelot-arthurian-legends/description

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Are there any good pledge managers besides BackerKit out there? I really want to be able to have people upgrade their pledges after the campaign for MCS is done, cause we might unlock offset printing, but for a variety of reasons I'm not comfortable with BackerKit at all.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I used Jetbacker when I did Bee Lives and liked it overall. Not nearly as robust as Backerkit, though. There are a lot of options, it kind of boils down to what you need it to do and how much you are willing to pay for it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm sort of amazed how quickly Big Child's new kickstarter has taken off. It's made in an hour or so what their last one did in 3 weeks. I guess realistic-ish Arthurian characters are a bigger draw than cartoony dwarfs.

(There's one borderline :nws: model in there) https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bigchildcreatives/echoes-of-camelot-arthurian-legends/description

I...am actually really disappointed here, because my girlfriend loves Arthuriana but both the lady models are so fuckin’ Male Gaze

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

I...am actually really disappointed here, because my girlfriend loves Arthuriana but both the lady models are so fuckin’ Male Gaze

Yeah, it's disappointing because the female models in their last KS were very much not male-gazey, and now this one is on track to do way better.

e: looks like it's already beat the previous one's total take in 6 hours or so.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 1, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Complain?

No seriously the recent Kemet KS had several problematic changes made to it from backer feedback.

If you're interested and that's a concern for you, speak up and see if you can get them to change it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Complain?

No seriously the recent Kemet KS had several problematic changes made to it from backer feedback.

If you're interested and that's a concern for you, speak up and see if you can get them to change it.

I've praised them for the non male gazey ones in the past, but I can't imagine complaining would help here. This isn't a game, the miniatures are the entire product and these ones are going to be wildly successful compared to their previous ones (which didn't fail per se but, the last one didn't hit all of its stretch goals so I'd imagine it was somewhat disappointing). I decided not to back this one but the message they're getting is pretty clear.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Are there any good pledge managers besides BackerKit out there? I really want to be able to have people upgrade their pledges after the campaign for MCS is done, cause we might unlock offset printing, but for a variety of reasons I'm not comfortable with BackerKit at all.

Pledgemanager seems to be the Pepsi to BackerKit's Coca-Cola. (For some reason, Arc Dream's first Delta Green KS used Backerkit, but the second one used Pledgemanager.)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've seen a fair few kickstarters using crowdox but I don't know if crowdox is just another version of backerkit or pledgemanager or what. Crowdox has been simple enough to use when I've had to go through it for surveys though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't think Sir Galahad was AMAB, but but I can't tell if that's intentionally inclusion or the concept artists confused "young" with "feminine."

The bio is all male pronouns and the figure is far from male-gazey though:

The color pallet evoking the trans flag is also kind of a cool touch.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Other folks have mentioned CrowdOx (which also seems quite popular) and Pledgemanager. I'd add Gamefound, which Awaken Realms created for their own projects but have made generally available. I'm only familiar with them as a backer so I don't know what the differences are for creators, but I will say I've had pretty good experiences with CrowdOx and Gamefound from a UI etc standpoint.

B Is For Razor
Jun 21, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

GameOnTabletop is a smaller, newer platform but they have great backend tech and customer service. They also list campaigns in 'pledge manager' status alongside live campaigns so it's also a good way to pick up some extra backers after the fact.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Cheers friends!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Oh, there's the kemet one. I just went with the base game and I'll figure out the rest laterm though that playmat is very tempting

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

I don't think Sir Galahad was AMAB, but but I can't tell if that's intentionally inclusion or the concept artists confused "young" with "feminine."

I refuse to believe that the artist has ever seen a horse.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Who likes planes ?

Against The Odds magazine just posted their Kickstarter for a second edition of the "Buffalo Wings" issue. This covers the aerial fighting between Finland and Russia, 1940-44, based on J.D. Webster's Fighting Wings system and matching up with the monster "Wings of the Motherland". It's a fascinating piece of air war, and a good introduction to the full sized Fighting Wings games. $40, 288 counters, one big map with terrain to fly over or bomb, 24-30 aircraft cards.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/407372518/buffalo-wings-2-the-deluxe-reprint

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

moths posted:

I have a memory of Galahad often being depicted as feminine and beautiful but looking now I can't find evidence to back that up. I wonder where I picked up the idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Bieeanshee posted:

I refuse to believe that the artist has ever seen a horse.

It's distinctively horse-ish, and nowhere near the caliber of hosed-Up Wolf.