Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Qubee posted:

Is there a program you guys would recommend that lets me view my real-time bandwidth usage? I'm on a capped internet package and being able to see on the fly data of how much internet I'm using up / total usage so far would be a godsend helping me keep below the cap. That way I can figure out what activities use the most bandwidth and ease up on using them (probs Netflix, IIRC gaming is pretty low in terms of usage).

If it’s just an individual windows machine than Glasswire is pretty good for this stuff
https://www.glasswire.com/

If you have multiple devices you need to keep track of then you’ll need some sort of network device or router which makes things a bit more complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That's perfect, thanks a bunch man!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

FCKGW posted:

If it’s just an individual windows machine than Glasswire is pretty good for this stuff
https://www.glasswire.com/

If you have multiple devices you need to keep track of then you’ll need some sort of network device or router which makes things a bit more complicated.

Glasswire is probably better but windows also has a built in resource monitor that shows how much network is being used in real time as well as which application is using it.

It's kind of poo poo with history, though.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
What's the fastest way to get rid of bug bites, especially chiggers?

I'm getting better about preventing them (pulling pant legs up and spraying my legs directly) but I still get them. I use an anti-itch cream but still scratch when I'm half asleep.

I was looking into one of those suction devices that's supposed to slurp out the poison or whatever, but there were enough scary reviews on Amazon to change my mind. Is there anything else I can do?

I work outdoors and often have to get out in the woods or in tall grass.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

artsy fartsy posted:

What's the fastest way to get rid of bug bites, especially chiggers?

I'm getting better about preventing them (pulling pant legs up and spraying my legs directly) but I still get them. I use an anti-itch cream but still scratch when I'm half asleep.

I was looking into one of those suction devices that's supposed to slurp out the poison or whatever, but there were enough scary reviews on Amazon to change my mind. Is there anything else I can do?

I work outdoors and often have to get out in the woods or in tall grass.

It's not going to get RID of them, but this is the real deal stuff I used on the ambulance: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K690LA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works really drat well, but it's expensive.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I got some stuff called after bite at the grocery store and it works really well too. I’ve put it on mosquito and spider bites and you can’t even feel them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a name that show thread in TVIV?

Alternatively, does anyone remember a 80s (I think) tv show that had a character (daughter I think) that they just wrote out in the second season or something. Just never mentioned her again.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is there a name that show thread in TVIV?

Alternatively, does anyone remember a 80s (I think) tv show that had a character (daughter I think) that they just wrote out in the second season or something. Just never mentioned her again.
Family matters did this with one girl.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
TVTropes calls that “Chuck Cunningham Syndrome” and you may find your show browsing the live action examples there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

TVTropes calls that “Chuck Cunningham Syndrome” and you may find your show browsing the live action examples there.

Thanks. I think it was That 70s Show I was thinking of, Donnas older sister.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a pest control thread (mainly for ants)? There are so many god drat ants in this house, and it's getting to the point where I wish they'd just hurry up and get in my eyes already so I don't have to constantly see them doing conga lines everywhere.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I am totally down for another ant saga in this thread.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Paging the Ant man to the Small/Stupid Questions Megathread!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Qubee posted:

Is there a pest control thread (mainly for ants)? There are so many god drat ants in this house, and it's getting to the point where I wish they'd just hurry up and get in my eyes already so I don't have to constantly see them doing conga lines everywhere.

How do you always have so many questions about life events

Qubee
May 31, 2013

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

How do you always have so many questions about life events

Unemployment and just being a generally annoying person. But this is also my go to thread whenever I get random questions that pop into my head.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Qubee posted:

Unemployment and just being a generally annoying person. But this is also my go to thread whenever I get random questions that pop into my head.

You really ought to check out this neat website full of lifehacks: https://www.google.co.uk

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Qubee posted:

Unemployment

Shocking stuff

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Besides walking short distances, what other exercises around the house can I do to reduce body fat whilst recovering from splints?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Nothing can reduce your body fat but eating less.

Exercise is important for other reasons and you can try skipping, planks, pull-ups if you get one of those door jam pull-up bars. Pushups of course. My wife likes circuits on YouTube that get posted as HIIT despite the fact that they’re circuits, not HIIT at all! You might enjoy those.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Keyboard help, please!

I think my dumb cat walked across my keyboard or something is a bit broken, because now certain keys are being replaced with other keys/symbols:

Pressing the zero key on the top row becomes )@ but NOT the zero in number pad on the right side
Pressing the right arrow key becomes g for some reason
Pressing the top seven key also lowers the speaker volume

Plus a bunch more random things like that

Holding shift does NOT change the key from doing its error

Weird poo poo like that. Tried restarting but no luck. Online searches are giving me tons of stuff that doesn't apply or help. It's a Roccat ISKU if it matters

Edit: Also tried updating drivers

Any advice?

Thanks!

Eclipse12 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 30, 2020

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Qubee posted:

i like your questions

Moo the cow posted:

You really ought to check out this neat website full of lifehacks: https://www.google.co.uk

you should check this one out: https://partypooper.biz

Eclipse12 posted:

Keyboard help, please!

I think my dumb cat walked across my keyboard or something is a bit broken, because now certain keys are being replaced with other keys/symbols:

Pressing the zero key on the top row becomes )@ but NOT the zero in number pad on the right side

Weird poo poo like that. Tried restarting but no luck. Online searches are giving me tons of stuff that doesn't apply or help. It's a Roccat ISKU if it matters

Any advice?

Thanks!

if it was mine, i would hit it a little. and if that didn't work i would open it up and clean it

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Eclipse12 posted:

Keyboard help, please!

pres NumLock butan

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

pres NumLock butan

Didn't work. In fact, number lock no longer appears to do anything at all

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Eclipse12 posted:

Keyboard help, please!

Any advice?

Thanks!

Macros?

https://en.roccat.org/Support/Product/Isku
See the pdf quickstart guide)

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Eclipse12 posted:

Didn't work. In fact, number lock no longer appears to do anything at all

Fn + Insert or Fn + Numlock?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Have you tried using a different keyboard to determine if it's software or hardware related?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

You may be using a different keyboard layout. On some French layouts, shift + 0 in the number row becomes @. If you are on windows 10, go to Settings -> Time and Language -> Language -> Keyboard to make sure that you are still using your preferred layout.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Got it open, but it's bare-bones. Macros seem possible... trying to find out how to check what Macros are installed. Switching profiles on the keyboard seems to affect some of them, but I can't even switch to profiles 1 or 2. Who the hell needs a keyboard this complicated???

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Fn + Insert or Fn + Numlock?

Don't have a Fn key :(

Tenik posted:

You may be using a different keyboard layout. On some French layouts, shift + 0 in the number row becomes @. If you are on windows 10, go to Settings -> Time and Language -> Language -> Keyboard to make sure that you are still using your preferred layout.

Checked that. It's on English

Slimy Hog posted:

Have you tried using a different keyboard to determine if it's software or hardware related?

If I can find an old one. I'm 99% sure it's the keyboard

Thanks for all the suggestions. Very frustrating trying to chase it down

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

My stupid cat chewing on my keyboard

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Eclipse12 posted:

after seeing your keyboard i'm like 2x as sure there's some poo poo stuck in it. seriously, whack it and you might get it out of the way. or open it up and clean it out. excellent cat btw :3:

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Is there a name for the Thing in animation sometimes where the pattern on a moving thing remains fixed?

I explained that terribly, so examples would be the boat guy from Monkey Island:

And the ninjas in this prehistoric flash video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZccIAg_N2Q

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Qubee posted:

The ant saga signal was lit, hell yeah I love ants

Alright, can you give some details on what ants are pestering you? Where do you live and how do they look, possibly with a photo of an ant, at best not too blurry? Do you have any idea where they are coming from and how the conga line is looking in terms or start and end point?
You definitely have one or maybe several nests in or very close to your home plus they feel very motivated to invade, so they probably find plenty of food somewhere. All of those points need to be addressed else they will develop society and overthrow the government that is your house in no time.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Eclipse12 posted:

What's the name of this keyboard? Have you tried just unplugging it and pluggning it back in? Press literally every button on it once, this usually helps if something is stuck and the computer thinks it's held down.

If you're on windows, on your lower right next to the clock and everything, is there a small box with two letters in caps? If so, what happens if you click them?

Press alt+shift and see if that helps (these last two are ways to change keyboard language).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Disgusting Coward posted:

Is there a name for the Thing in animation sometimes where the pattern on a moving thing remains fixed?

I explained that terribly, so examples would be the boat guy from Monkey Island:

And the ninjas in this prehistoric flash video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZccIAg_N2Q

"Ummoving plaid".

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnmovingPlaid

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Eclipse12 posted:

Keyboard help, please!

Any advice?

Thanks!

I'm seconding people who say clean the keyboard. Keyboards often use a grid of circuitry to detect key presses (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_matrix_circuit) so shorting or interrupting part of a circuit can really confuse a keyboard. If you don't want to do that stop by a second hand store like goodwill (and wear a mask!) and you can buy another keyboard for a dollar or two. If that's an issue a lot of people have spare old keyboards floating about that they don't use anymore and you can post on facebook or craigslist begging for an old one.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
If your cat pissed on it that would explain a lot, though it more likely would be even more hosed up or just not work at all.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Looks like it's had it, throw it out and get a mechanical keyboard to replace it.

That way when you type, you type WITH THE THUNDER.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Say I have a sealed container in a vacuum. Is there a formula that can tell me the difference in temperature between the top of the container and the bottom?

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

dokmo posted:

Say I have a sealed container in a vacuum. Is there a formula that can tell me the difference in temperature between the top of the container and the bottom?

Why should there be a difference between the top and bottom? Like because of gravity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Why should there be a difference between the top and bottom? Like because of gravity?

Yes