Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Umm where is the toilet? :ohdear:

Or is it a communal situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geaelith
Jan 14, 2017

Zil posted:

In the hell closet next to the too-short coat closet
https://twitter.com/angelicaalzona/status/1277683138186162182

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

I just for the first time in my life used duct tape on a duct

"Duck" (or sometimes "ducking") is an old timey word for waxed canvas, and "duck tape" was intended to help tape that stuff together. It's a malapropism that it's called "duct tape" instead. Actual tape for ducts is very different.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zil posted:

He doesn't know how to use the three seashells!

Hahahaha

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

By popular demand posted:

That sure is a house. For people to live in. And not some bizarre alien zoo cage.

now that I think about it, having TWO sinks is pretty wasteful

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Leperflesh posted:

"Duck" (or sometimes "ducking") is an old timey word for waxed canvas, and "duck tape" was intended to help tape that stuff together. It's a malapropism that it's called "duct tape" instead. Actual tape for ducts is very different.

I never initially believe an etymology I read online, so I'm pleasantly surprised to learn about this true thing. thank you. I'm gonna blow my dad's mind later.

I know it's not actually the right tool, but I've got the waterproof kind and I've got an exciting jury-rigged backup down there. I'll go buy aluminum tape and do it right when it inevitably fails

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

I never initially believe an etymology I read online, so I'm pleasantly surprised to learn about this true thing. thank you. I'm gonna blow my dad's mind later.

I know it's not actually the right tool, but I've got the waterproof kind and I've got an exciting jury-rigged backup down there. I'll go buy aluminum tape and do it right when it inevitably fails

Right now, go leave yourself a note saying something like "haha you dumb fucker, having to fix this - you from the past" near this job.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

If you allow the gummy adhesive from the duck tape to mature, it will turn into a horrible substance that will require massive effort to fully remove. Replace it soon. Especially if that ducting carries central heat, because the hot metal duct will more rapidly melt and dry and melt and dry the gummy poo poo.

Think about when you see some poor bastard who has "fixed" their broken car window with duck tape and plastic, and then left it for a season. The paint is ruined.

speaking of etymologies: look up "jury rigged" vs. "jerry rigged" and "rigged jury"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe the house is so old the ducts are made from waxed canvas, how about that?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
when I'm ready to really get dunked on, I'll share my most shameful tape repair.

Leperflesh posted:

speaking of etymologies: look up "jury rigged" vs. "jerry rigged" and "rigged jury"

I almost mentioned this one, since I used the term in the post. I'd always heard the origin as "Jerry rigged," but then I found it in a Conrad novel (so pre-WWI, let alone II) and looked it up.

turns out the term "jury" a thousand loving years old for a temporary mast repair.

I'm a philologue (in the American sense) and I love this poo poo

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Empty Sandwich posted:

when I'm ready to really get dunked on, I'll share my most shameful tape repair.

I almost mentioned this one, since I used the term in the post. I'd always heard the origin as "Jerry rigged," but then I found it in a Conrad novel (so pre-WWI, let alone II) and looked it up.

turns out the term "jury" a thousand loving years old for a temporary mast repair.

Eh, in the 90s in scouts (in South Africa) we learned how to tie a jury masthead knot, and talked about jury-rigging things. I'm pretty sure the "jerry-" version is just the American vernacular simplification, while the "jury-" version is still in use in UK and Commonwealth English.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

That sure is a house. For people to live in. And not some bizarre alien zoo cage.

This was actually A Thing in crappy New York apartments/tenements way back when (grouping the plumbing all together in the cheapest way possible) though most people have had the sense to renovate them. But I've seen several apartments advertised with a bathroom or shower in the kitchen, people do lease them I guess.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

We just moved into a new place, which is pretty nice and doesn't seem terribly constructed, with one pretty big exception:

It's subtle, but the issue is that if you hold the banister on the way down, and step off on your left foot as you start the turn, you end up with your foot on a 2" ledge above a three-step drop. The previous tenants, the landlady, myself, and my pregnant fiancee have all nearly fallen doing that.

The solution I'm going to suggest the landlords is to put a handrail on the wall side, since it looks like it's less than $100 worth of parts.

But I get the impression that the correct way to do have done this from the start would have been to have a square landing at the turn, rather than steps vanishing into nothing around a 3' drop.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Interesting use of baseboard on the wall side, too.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hops out of shower to stir food for guest s that will be arriving in 20 min

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

tater_salad posted:

Hops out of shower to stir food for guest s that will be arriving in 20 min

Stir food? On what?

It doesn't even sport a microwave.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm guessing that wall of the kitchen is less amusing for twooting

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Stir food? On what?

It doesn't even sport a microwave.

Hot plate m8

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

insta posted:

Right now, go leave yourself a note saying something like "haha you dumb fucker, having to fix this - you from the past" near this job.

At the last place, near the end of my almost exactly two year tenure, I was on the phone with the admin of the other company I supported, walking him through getting a drive mapped and troubleshooting how to make that happen.

At one point, the words “what idiot set it up that way?!?” came out of my mouth. That idiot? Me. I had completely forgotten that I had set up an automatic/gpo/ad security group mapping not a year prior.

This is when you know you need to move on.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 29, 2020

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Interesting use of baseboard on the wall side, too.

"Hey boss, my drywall has a sloppy edge by this stair tread here"
"No problem, I have a scrap piece of of flat baseboard that ought to fit. Glue it on and let's grab some beers."

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Lead out in cuffs posted:

We just moved into a new place, which is pretty nice and doesn't seem terribly constructed, with one pretty big exception:

It's subtle, but the issue is that if you hold the banister on the way down, and step off on your left foot as you start the turn, you end up with your foot on a 2" ledge above a three-step drop. The previous tenants, the landlady, myself, and my pregnant fiancee have all nearly fallen doing that.

The solution I'm going to suggest the landlords is to put a handrail on the wall side, since it looks like it's less than $100 worth of parts.

But I get the impression that the correct way to do have done this from the start would have been to have a square landing at the turn, rather than steps vanishing into nothing around a 3' drop.

Here's a whole page on winder stairs from Inspectapedia.

quote:

CA/OSHA Title 8 Section 1626 [paragraph (1) provides:

1926.1052(c)(2) Winding and spiral stairways shall be equipped with a handrail offset sufficiently to prevent walking on those portions of the stairways where the tread width is less than 6 inches (15 cm).

2006 International Residential Code R311.5.3.2

Tread depth. The minimum tread depth shall be 10 inches (254 mm). The tread depth shall be measured horizontally between the vertical planes of the foremost projection of adjacent treads and at a right angle to the tread’s leading edge.

The greatest tread depth within any flight of stairs shall not exceed the smallest by more than 3/8 inch (9.5 mm). Winder treads shall have a minimum tread depth of 10 inches (254 mm) measured as above at a point 12 inches (305) mm from the side where the treads are narrower.

Winder treads shall have a minimum tread depth of 6 inches (152 mm) at any point. Within any flight of stairs, the greatest winder tread depth at the 12 inch (305 mm) walk line shall not exceed the smallest by more than 3/8 inch (9.5 mm).

So your staircase is a definite code violation, but it's probably been grandfathered in.

Fun fact: a square or rectangular landing at a turn like you mentioned is called a dogleg! Which is adorable.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

When you waffle stomp your poo poo out of necessity, not out of laziness.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

This was actually A Thing in crappy New York apartments/tenements way back when (grouping the plumbing all together in the cheapest way possible) though most people have had the sense to renovate them. But I've seen several apartments advertised with a bathroom or shower in the kitchen, people do lease them I guess.

Didn't some of the real old tenements not have bathrooms in the apartments at all? I saw an old movie like that once: a family had a 2 bedroom apartment with a kitchen but no bathroom, the bathroom was down the hall.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

Here's a whole page on winder stairs from Inspectapedia.

So your staircase is a definite code violation, but it's probably been grandfathered in.

Fun fact: a square or rectangular landing at a turn like you mentioned is called a dogleg! Which is adorable.

Thanks! This is super interesting. Yeah, most likely grandfathered in, since the house was built in 1947. It did get renovated in 2002 as part of a property flip, but I think the renos were mostly cosmetic (and cheap).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Youth Decay posted:

My carpenter/farmer grandfather would use the expression "crookeder than a dog leg" to describe objects that were crooked or a person who was unscrupulous.

This is your Early 20th Century Rural Slang Word of the Day.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

canyoneer posted:

My carpenter/farmer grandfather would use the expression "crookeder than a dog leg" to describe objects that were crooked or a person who was unscrupulous.

This is your Early 20th Century Rural Slang Word of the Day.

"Hit dog will holler," also basically boils down to "methinks the lady with protest too much."

Say something broad, whoever pipes up defensively against the statement is the kicked dog, who is suspect now.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Facebook Aunt posted:

Didn't some of the real old tenements not have bathrooms in the apartments at all? I saw an old movie like that once: a family had a 2 bedroom apartment with a kitchen but no bathroom, the bathroom was down the hall.

They would have a shared toilet but the tenants themselves would often put a bathtub (or even a large water trough or pot) in the kitchen so they could use water from the sink faucet to bathe and wash their clothes. Especially households with small children. Coordinating toddlers in a public bath is a complete nightmare that should be avoided at all costs.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Empty Sandwich posted:

These days we have a more modern and all encompassing term: "MacGyvering"

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

It was quite common in apartment blocks in Europe. There would be a latrine and perhaps shower facilities in the inner courtyard. Just 20 years ago, my uncle's apartment still had no shower so he would fill a giant tub from the bathroom sink and bathe in that. That apartment is now renovated and probably valued close to a million bucks.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

I'll use sarcasm tags in the future to make it easier for you to follow

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

They would have a shared toilet but the tenants themselves would often put a bathtub (or even a large water trough or pot) in the kitchen so they could use water from the sink faucet to bathe and wash their clothes. Especially households with small children. Coordinating toddlers in a public bath is a complete nightmare that should be avoided at all costs.

In which case a renovation that put a real bath tub in your kitchen would be considered an upgrade. It has a drain and everything. No more buckets.

A bathtub in the kitchen and a toilet in the closet upgrades the unit to all the modern conveniences without reducing capacity.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

We take it so for granted that it's amazing to think how recent a thing it is to have common indoor plumbing.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
My dad's high school used to burn outhouses at homecoming. 1970's Dallas suburbs still had enough people with outhouses that they could make that tradition.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

And if an outhouse on fire isn't the best encapsulation of everything this thread is about then I don't know what is.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

And if an outhouse on fire isn't the best encapsulation of everything this thread is about then I don't know what is.

I thought this was the Texas politics thread for a second.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That would be the same but with an excited rich white guy riding the flaming outhouse while waving a cowboy hat.
Like Major Kong in that movie.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Crappy construction tales: an outhouse on fire

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bacon Taco posted:

Crappy construction tales: an outhouse on fire

Is that what you like? What if I told you they had trouble stealing one because it was anchored to a... heavy, concrete base? :wink:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

there wolf posted:

Is that what you like? What if I told you they had trouble stealing one because it was anchored to a... heavy, concrete base? :wink:

I’m not going to look up that post because I don’t want to know how long it has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

crazypeltast52 posted:

I’m not going to look up that post because I don’t want to know how long it has been.

I believe someone recently said the original concrete block derail was like 5 years ago?