Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Moon Monster posted:

Maldron in the Brume Tower DLC is the only NPC invader I can think of that actually consistently gave me trouble over multiple playthroughs. The combination of AI, moveset and environment is just super nasty. I never found the prowlers very hard. They feel like about 1/4 of a real invader each and it's not hard to string them out so you're only fighting 2 or 3 at once.

Fun fact: once he runs down into the curse fog tower, you can use a giant seed and the curse fog will just kill him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SHISHKABOB posted:

I liked dark souls 2.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I picked this game up during the steam sale and am having some framerate issues. The game runs butter smooth at 1440p60fps everywhere except In the abyss watchers fight. When their attacks land it drops to <10 for a solid second or two. Quick googling shows this is a somewhat known issue, but I haven't seen a known fix. Anyone experienced this?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Did wolnir always summon skeletons or is that new to cinders lol. getting owned between it taking forever to break the bracelets to getting ganged up on by 6+ skeletons

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Wolnir summons skeletons if you keep him alive. Once you know the ONE WEIRD TRICK! (Abyssals hate it!!) he never stays up long enough to start.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How's Sorcery of Fath builds in vanilla 3? I tried vanilla on my ps4 out of curiosity amd my bows sure hit like poo poo out of the box

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Robo Reagan posted:

How's Sorcery of Fath builds in vanilla 3? I tried vanilla on my ps4 out of curiosity amd my bows sure hit like poo poo out of the box

Pretty backloaded, unfortunately. You will still be relying on melee combat most of the game, just with whichever infusion is appropriate for your build.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, may as well stick to pancake maker builds then

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

moonlight greatsword or whatever its called in this game owns and you get some extra sorceries to go with

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Robo Reagan posted:

i did a fun faith build with wolnir's sword on xbone.

gonna do a moonlight sorcery run next after i finish this one with the fume sword

edit, what weapon do y'all recommend for a sorcery build until MLGS? i probably wont do dancer early.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 30, 2020

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

Faith's a bit weird due to how Lightning Spears are most effective at melee range, which begs the question of why you're bothering to cast them versus simply thumping something with a weapon. Sorcery is perfectly serviceable and gets a couple of utility spells that can break the game over your knee, though you need to make a significant investment in ring slots to get the most out of it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How do you do dancer early?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jose posted:

How do you do dancer early?

Kill Emma in the church. She'll drop the Basin of Vows, which you can then use to trigger the Dancer fight and enter certain parts of Lothric Castle early.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

She's also hysterically weak to Dark, and wouldn't you know that the Dark Hand is readily available and the strongest weapon you can get for the entire first half of the game anyway? :v: Put your Yoel levels into VIG for that little extra bit of survivability and you're good to go.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I've been playing a Pyromancer build for my third playthrough and throwing Chaos Bed Vestiges and ora ora-ing with the Demon's Fist never gets old. Started using the MGS against fire-resistant foes as well so I'll see how that goes.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is it possible to make a combo of a dude who uses a big honking sword but also throws around lightning? I'm coming to this after Sekiro, and trying to play an assassin-style dude feels really bad compared to that (which I know isn't really a fair comparison but I'm gonna make it anyway), so I wanna do the opposite and make a huge knight fucker with a side-order of lightning bolts. I would want to go Strength and Faith right?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pierson posted:

Is it possible to make a combo of a dude who uses a big honking sword but also throws around lightning? I'm coming to this after Sekiro, and trying to play an assassin-style dude feels really bad compared to that (which I know isn't really a fair comparison but I'm gonna make it anyway), so I wanna do the opposite and make a huge knight fucker with a side-order of lightning bolts. I would want to go Strength and Faith right?

The Dargonslayer Swordspear is a big honking sword that lets you throw lightning with its weapon art. Of course you need to beat Nameless King to get it so it's not exactly something you can use for most of a playthrough.

You could also just imbue a greatsword with something that scales off of faith.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
if you really want the discount Sekiro experience, there's a katana with a built in parry you can get early game

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Robo Reagan posted:

if you really want the discount Sekiro experience, there's a katana with a built in parry you can get early game
I think if I did that I'd just end up constantly thinking "wow i should just play Sekiro again" so I'll try huge lightning guts first.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Pierson posted:

You should get use the Sunlight Talisman for Miracles. It's L2 casts Miracles and gives you hyperarmor and enhanced defense Using Lightning Stake or Lighting Storm while your enemies inefficiently try and stop you before you slam the ground and absolutely demolish them is a great feeling.

Also, if you use the Sunlight Straight sword, it's Oath of Sunlight AR buff applies to all of your attacks (including miracles!) while active. If you stack that with Lightning Blade you'll be doing around 600AR with a straight sword which is just insane.

I'd recommend pumping Vigor and Faith as your main stats. Minimum combinations of Vitality and Rings to wear the armor you want . Infuse your main weapon with Raw until you can do Blessed infusions, then do Lightning Infusions later (unless you use the Lothric Knight Greatsword, use Blessed for that)

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Lothric Knight Greatsword is a giant sword that hits like a sack of trucks, has a nice move set, looks good and fits a faith build very nicely. I like it a lot.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Thinking about picking this up in the Steam sale to try out Cinders. Is it worth twenty bucks to double dip?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Absolutely, Cinders is functionally a full blown expanded and rebalanced re-release like SotFS, completely worth the double dip imo

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
Having a lot of drat fun doing dragon-in-a-dress invasions as a Mound Maker in the Ringed City today. Don’t think people quite knew what to make of me.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Post pics.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol I got heavenly thunder right before I went to fight Oceiros and he died in 2 casts of it before he got near me

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

2 casts? what the gently caress kind of glass cannon damage stacking build do you have

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
What is a decent armour set that has a good balance of protection and weight? Running a strength build and currently using Greatsword but my vitality is only at 18 atm and I'm using some hodgepodge of poo poo armour to keep my equip weight down. Dont want to put any more points in vitality than I need to so wondering what's a good armour set to shoot for

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
lapp set if you really care about defence and weight. id care more about having some poise though. lapp set has plenty of that i guess though. though defence doesent matter that much beyond the early game so id just go fashion souls and just care about having some poise so you can tank some hits while swining poise weapons.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Is online for Cinders active enough to bother?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

2 casts? what the gently caress kind of glass cannon damage stacking build do you have

so I'm playing cinders and redid the fight a few times to level up since then but haven't put any levels into faith since then it all went into attunement/endurance/vitality. Probably 10-15 levels since I don't particularly remember. Using a ring that gives +5 vigor

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
ran into a watchdog of farron yesterday, first time being invaded by one of them in ages.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

Is online for Cinders active enough to bother?

you'll hardly ever be invaded at any level, and 99% of the time you try to summon a phantom it won't work because they probably arent using Cinders

personally I keep online on for the messages tho

Oh also watch out for hackers, alt+f4 if an invader seems kinda fucky

Moola fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 4, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Moola posted:

you'll hardly ever be invaded at any level, and 99% of the time you try to summon a phantom it won't work because they probably arent using Cinders

personally I keep online on for the messages tho

Oh also watch out for hackers, alt+f4 if an invader seems kinda fucky

I probably wont bother then. Cheers.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Jose posted:

so I'm playing cinders and redid the fight a few times to level up since then but haven't put any levels into faith since then it all went into attunement/endurance/vitality. Probably 10-15 levels since I don't particularly remember. Using a ring that gives +5 vigor

Oh, cinders. I see. I always thought they made magic super OP in that. But i guess that seems to be what most players want, so who am i to complain.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

magic in cinders is perfectly tuned and a fair challenge

https://i.imgur.com/MvQUYzS.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/eIuJdKX.mp4

(this spell only existed in a couple versions over a year ago and was removed in the very next version, but I hope there's still some goofy poo poo whenever I revisit the mod)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

magic in cinders is perfectly tuned and a fair challenge

https://i.imgur.com/MvQUYzS.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/eIuJdKX.mp4

(this spell only existed in a couple versions over a year ago and was removed in the very next version, but I hope there's still some goofy poo poo whenever I revisit the mod)

gently caress I wish I could get the game to play this smooth

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I noticed that I can get DS3 to run in 144Hz if I just manually change the refresh rate with my monitor. Makes the game pretty drat smooth.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Deacons of the Deep are actually hard on Cinders now. I both my weapons break before I can seal the deal on the pope guy and their HP is high enough you can't just thin the mob with a few cleaving hits. Think I'm... actually going to have to come back to this one later :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but Mortal Shell (that weird soulslike where you are a white ghost-thing and enter into bodies) is having an open beta. The beta is only on EGS tho.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/mortal-shell/home