Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah I haven't made the final area yet, but the desert level seems much more interesting than the temple. It's more open, so harder to get used to the patterns.

I have actually beaten the game and it unlocks a new difficulty that adds more special/elite enemies, more environmental hazards/traps and lets you unlock new guns and occult scrolls. It's actually pretty fun? I'm not sure if it adds more health/damage to enemies but who knows. You can get some pretty ridiculous builds after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Zorbus is fun but not really exciting. It competently done, has a good spread of options, and is easy to play. On the other hand its still clearly a D&D pastiche and kinda struggles to escape that. Whips are just useless as is any non + weapons and armor after a while. Most of the loot you find is just trash that you should not pick up ever witch is a drag, but the game is breezy enough that it can be forgiven. It looks good, its fun, and I would rate it as a good intro to classical rougelikes if you need an in for that.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Those of you who like Gunfire Reborn - how many of you are paying it purely solo?

I see posts about excellent weapon variety and enemy variety and loads of builds and that just is not true for my first x hours in the game. All that's left is "unity FPS" map design and movement/shooting, which sucks.

I'm bitter because this really should have been my jam and I really want reasons to stick with it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Just ascended a unnethack valk for junethack. And no way I'm squeezing in another ascension in the next 12 hours or so, so looks like after a late start I'm finishing the month with four ascensions: unnethack, 3.43, nethack4, and 3.6.6. As it turned out, I ascended each of them at the first altar I came to on the astral plane, which in 3/4 cases was cross-aligned, but in all three of those games I happened to have a helm of opposite alignment.

Unnethack doesn't seem to be too bad as far as stupid variants go, but holy gently caress are the planes tedious because confused ?oGD being gimped. Not crazy about the changes to alchemy or the goofy dragon mechanics, but w/e. But anything that turns the lategame into more of a pixel hunt than it is in vanilla is fuckin' torture.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Dungeonmans achieves v1.9 Weapons of Renown in a meaty update wrought of Finery & Intrigue:

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/288120/view/2505639402159733989

quote:

Weapons of Renown

The most powerful weapons and armor of Dungeonmans are soaked in legend, storied implements of war that tell tales of conquests long past. It is time for the mighty heroes of today to get a chance to pen their own legends as well.

Mix it up with enough Ancient Kings and you might find Chronicles of Renown Unwritten, an item that lets you take a five-star (or better!) weapon and begin a mighty tale of legend. You can rename the item, and even write your own flavor text. The item then increases in star rank, scaling up its damage slightly and allowing for one more enchantment scroll. You also get to pick one of three renowned suffixes that have unique effects outside of any other enchantment. Now for the best part: the weapon gains Renown XP when you defeat further Ancient Kings or bosses of sufficiently tough Adventure Maps. Earn enough Renown XP and the weapon ranks up, giving you more damage, another star, AND the option of upgrading one of your titles or adding a new one on.

More details down at the bottom of the notes, but the short version is this: swords can level up now too, and as you push deeper into more difficult Adventure Maps, you can continue to enchant and evolve your weapon of choice.

Great Foes Forgotten

Powerful Ancient Kings lurk in the deepest and darkest dungeons, the stubborn will of history's greatest conquerors, and have long been some of the strongest enemies known to Mans. Even so, Ancient Kings were once simply Kings, and they too looked back on distant legend. Something so truly and incalculably ancient could only be a distant echo of its true power over the countless generations since... but should many such echoes gather at once, the force would be overwhelming.

There's a new champion type one step above Ancient King, an Echo From Time Unknowable. Like AKs, they're powered up versions of the base monster, but they come packed with powers that bend space and time. They also have new music and are introduced with a special dialog, so there's no mistaking that you are in for a tremendous fight. Pay attention to everything, and expect difficult surprises. Defeating one of those foes is certainly a feat of great renown.

Dungeon Dervish

The dual wielding tree was a little lackluster, and didn't do anything particularly well. It seemed like the fate of a dervish was to have two great melee weapons, and only use them as a last resort while kiting enemies through the dungeon with an enchanted bow.

* Razor Fury has a two tile range movement range instead of one. Still doesn't let you go through enemies. The damage reduction on the whirlwind attack has been eased a little, and the stance it puts you in has been powered up significantly, with increased damage and duration. You'll use this move often, first as an opener, and then to make calculated movements weaving in and out of groups while slashing them apart and increasing Tempo.

* While dual wielding, your parry effects have a chance to fire when you dodge. This is a big change -- dodge is the first defense that gets rolled, which means all the potential counterattacking from Tempo wasn't happening unless monsters beat your dodge, which made medium armor a bad choice for the dervish. Crazy! Here's how it works now: if you dodge, your parry chance is rolled, and if you succeed all your on parry effects fire. Previously, if you had a 90% dodge and a 15% parry, you would only see a Tempo counter attack 1.5% of the time-- 15% of the 10% that get through. Now you get all 15%. The monsters are doomed.

These changes together make Dungeon Dervish way more mobile and lethal. Keep Tempo up, keep Razor Fury up, and you'll be hitting really hard on your turn and the monsters. Dashing Charge is still a great combo of escape + damage that makes Stick and Move so jealous and bitter it stops responding to your text messages and makes you drive over to its house to ask whats wrong. Decimanser's Dance is pricey but still brings you value when surrounded by 3+ monsters.

Just don't run out of stamina.

Minor Features

Q Movement

Down in the options there's a new toggle for Q Movement, a mode where the numpad on your keyboard simulates input from a controller. You press in a given direction to aim, and then press W (because Q is bound to Drop Item, you see) to step in that direction, or hold W to run.

Save/Load Issues in emulators

Some people running dmans on a linux box through sorcery have noted that saves can't be reloaded. True ironmans mode sure, but this build should have a fix for that issue.

Adventure Maps

Map dungeons are shorter, 3 to 5 floors max, and the rewards on the bosses have been kicked up a little bit. Further, when you are under level 15, you're more likely to find maps that are at your level and higher. Currently there's too often when a level 13 mans ends up having to chew through level 9, 10, 11 AMaps just to get up to level. There should be less of that now.

Bug fixes / QoL

Fixed up the Blacksmithing menu, that mysterious unclaimable ???? enchant has been removed, and some new ones added.
Restocking a pig farmer with Purloined Inventory will restore their supply of actual pigs, instead of random crap.
If you somehow lost your initial Adventure Map, that chain of encounters is now likely to begin again for you.
UI improvements for a number of windows where text was getting lost in the background, including the extra messed up use-item-on-item window.
The UI for moving Starshards and handing over Purloined Inventory has been improved.
Corrected the names of a few older powers.
Fixed some really jank tooltip issues. They should be more clear and consistent now, and better about showing stamina costs.
That bug where music gets stuck if you enter and leave a new dungeon too quickly is finally fixed, drat. Also, the music should no longer vanish when in those spiral dungeon floors.
Fixed a bug where the ending of the last Halloween battle might display incorrectly.
Ancient Kings should keep their purpley glow and menace even if you save and reload.
Fixed up the presentation on Dashing Charge.
Temple dungeons -- the big green ones with the traps -- may now have Ancient Kings (or worse...) guarding their sanctums.
Banners now have to be dropped on empty tiles, sorry.
Cryoduchesses do less damage with thier ice spike, but only a little. They're still nasty.
Champion Undead Archers no longer get to drop Boneshredded on you if they miss with all their thrown bones.

I attack with my...
Additional Notes

Ancient King Farming

Some players have found a method to reliably farm Ancient Kings -- I won't spoil it here, but you know who you are. There are lots of places in the truly high-powered late/post game where Dungeonmans can be broken, and generally I am ok with this, but after much consideration I decided to turn off this particular Radiant Shard firehose. Have your fun, though it will be harder, and when you've reached the limit you will know.

Renown Weapons, Deeper Dive

The special renown-only enchants are mostly straight up percent boosts to elemental damage done, or damage against certain monster types. If a player has a few renown weapons, they'll have a fair set of tools to go up against the various crazy combinations found in high tier Adventure Maps. There's also a bonus to loot finding, and a bonus to base health. There should be more, and there may well be more, it depends on how well this content is received by you the player.

When a weapon ranks up, you're given three titles to pick from at random. However, if you already have titles on the weapon, the first one is guaranteed to be one you already have. This will let you focus on a particular upgrade if you feel like it. Picking "The Charbroiler" multiple times just increases fire damage more each time.

If you're familiar with Lord of the Rings Online, you're familiar with the bones of this system. What about items that add unique titles? Breaking weapons down into renown for future weapons? Mysterious renow-- ok, yeah, I can dig it. If the playerbase turns out to enjoy this system, they'll see more content for it.

Some tidbits:

* Warlords react differently to you if you're packing a renowned weapon, and they will fight harder.

* If you die carrying a renowned weapon, the dungeon boss steals it. If you had more than one on you when you died, the rest are scattered about the world, and might turn up anywhere. But they are out there!

You did it

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Those of you who like Gunfire Reborn - how many of you are paying it purely solo?

I see posts about excellent weapon variety and enemy variety and loads of builds and that just is not true for my first x hours in the game. All that's left is "unity FPS" map design and movement/shooting, which sucks.

I'm bitter because this really should have been my jam and I really want reasons to stick with it.

I primarily play Solo because I like being able to pause and go take care of things if need be, but I got into the game with two bozos who don't play nearly as much as me and are both much more casual gamers. They still really enjoy the game however

I will be up front with admitting that a lot of the occult scroll and weapon variety comes from unlocks that require you to kill X enemies Y times (and sometimes in Z ways). Some are just kill X Boss Y times and those are generally the cooler and more interesting unlocks. Basically play the game, get good enough to reach later areas and you'll keep getting more cool stuff. Hell, some of those unlocks are locked behind beating the final boss once and playing on Elite Mode. Generally however, at least half of these unlocks are trade-off/play style changers that are powerful but have some kind of downside as compensation. I will however compliment the design choice that as soon as you unlock an occult scroll or weapon in a run, it will immediately drop for you to pick up and try out. Not enough games do this and I wish they did, rewards you for fulfilling a condition immediately AND lets you try out the new toy!

The ascensions you get however are taken from three categories for each hero and are fully unlocked from the start, you just get to pick from with each Golden Goblet you find. The main problem is, to really get to the fun (unless you get super lucky) builds you'll probably need to beat at least the first boss. I actually super dig the ascensions because some are "Here's a strong positive with a trade off" at level 1, but if you upgrade it to level 3? No more negative, only a ludicrous positive with which to murderize your foes. As personal opinion, I think the Cat has much better ascension builds than the Dog because Smoke Grenades are busted af.

Overall my general opinion of the game is a solid 7.5 solo, good replay-ability with enough numbers go up and slow unlocks so as not to overwhelm you with options at first, though it drags in having to play the first area repeatedly while you learn the game. This score is increased to 9.5 when playing with a bunch of friends, especially since it's just about the only proper roguelike FPS I've played that lets you play with up to 4 people.

Score may change as they add/change more things throughout early access.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

The developers of Monolith are back at it again!

https://twitter.com/team_d13/status/1277800381825810432?s=20

https://twitter.com/team_d13/status/1277986933503901697?s=20

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I just cannot get into Monolith's music or color palette. Hard is also pretty brutally hard so I'm probably sparing myself some pain by stopping after normal.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Man I loving love the Monolith soundtrack

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Now that junethack is drawing to a close: how the gently caress does the tournament count user trophies? Because in the user/clan list it says I have 66 trophies. But going to my user status page and counting the trophies, there are 92 trophies highlighted. Checking a few other user's pages shows something similar.

I mean, alright, it's just a silly nethack tournament and the score means literally gently caress all. But I'm just trying to figure out how it's supposed to work.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So how is Curse of the Elder Gods? I realize it's EA but I don't get a great sense as to how much is currently there for it based on the roadmap.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

curse of the dead gods?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
i never did get that close two a slash'em ascension :negative: had at least two promising runs that died pre-black market (a doppelganger rogue who died on the quest when a chameleon decided to turn into a hydra, and a vampire rogue that ate a corpse that was rotten and was stunned long enough for a mumak to round the corner and murder me) and a whole lot of dead vampires and werewolves in the early levels. maybe next year

i still got a couple ascensions in on nethack4 including my fastest ever ascension by wall-clock time ( just under 9 hours, actual playtime closer to 5-6) so i'll consider it a success anyway

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Awesome! posted:

curse of the dead gods?

-sigh- yeah. That thing.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Monolith is simultaneously one of the best roguelites and one of the best shmups on Steam. It's a really great game that I'm glad they keep building on.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Curse of the Dead Gods is a straight Hades ripoff with a Mayan coat of paint.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Monolith is real good, although the music and color scheme can be an acquired taste. I think I'd actually rate it higher than some of the bigger ones in the genre like EtG - it doesn't have quite the same level of polish, but it's fast paced and tightly designed.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I'd say Curse of the Dead Gods is a thing unto itself---quite a bit different than Hades as, if you can build as such, evasion/PARRY is the true Elder God.

Only company Hades has is still Asura(Vengeance Edition being on sale for super cheap ATM as they apparently work apace on some kind of sequel maybe)---and both games make clear the more ideal approach to games like this. Though Dreamscaper also comes at things from an entirely different design direction...so it too is viable.

Only SuperGiant has...Money...though, so horizons are only so much within reach even if seen and teased.

There's an obvious Souls influence to it also with the Stamina interplay system, but things are still so early on with just the 2 separate temples as they continue to get the rest of the skeleton outright formed on top of the meat.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

packetmantis posted:

Curse of the Dead Gods is a straight Hades ripoff with a Mayan coat of paint.

Lol not at ALL. Curse of the Dead Gods has much slower combat that is based around managing stamina so you can dodge/use combo finisher/ranged attacks with a high risk/reward of a parry system. Its much slower combat experience then the pinball craziness that is Hades.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think Monolith kind of has an issue where the game never feels like more than a series of procgen rooms followed by a boss. You don't get a sense of narrative progression as you descend and the bosses mostly look like blobs on a black background which doesnt help (none of the enemies have much personality). It doesn't make sense to me that I would bounce off it so extremely hard after enjoying Gungeon and Void Rains Upon Her Heart (warning: weird nudity) which is why I'm trying to figure out what's different.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Annddddddddd Dark Souls is now a Rogue-like:

quote:

Roguelike Souls overhauls the Dark Souls experience entirely by replacing the game's progression with a roguelike system not unlike The Binding of Isaac or Dead Cells. In each "run" through Lordran, you are tasked with conquering a semi-random sequence of levels containing random enemy types in completely random positions (not just existing enemy positions), fresh random loot, and random bosses, as well as a few other random events and risk/reward scenario.

If you die five times, your progress in that run will be lost and you will be sent back to Firelink Shrine to start anew. Allies you rescue (from fixed locations) will permanently reside at Firelink to provide gameplay-modifying bonuses, and certain game progression events will unlock more loot options, but nothing else will persist between journeys through Lordran.

In addition, every time you install the mod, a fresh set of procedurally-generated weapons, armor, and spells will be created as loot. By default, enemy animation speeds are also randomized, with each animation potentially becoming slightly weaker + faster (up to a point) or stronger + slower. This can sometimes lead to particularly brutal foes who get lucky and have most of their attacks sped up (the "Card Of" phenomenon), so you can either re-install the mod to roll the dice again, or use an installation option to disable enemy speed changes altogether.

This mod was created as a charity incentive for LobosJr for his St Jude charity event in May 2020, as a sequel to 2019's (very different) mod. My goal was to make something a little more replayable and attractive for a wider Souls audience, rather than another mod that was just fun to watch. I promised to release it in June if Lobos met his $200K goal, which his community smashed. I'd hoped to find time to add more content (e.g. invaders) before releasing it, but unfortunately I was quite sick throughout June and was lucky to fix the existing big issues for this under-the-gun release!

I may update this mod from time to time, as there are a lot of knobs to balance and a few remaining non-critical bugs to address (see below), but keep in mind that this will take time away from the big DoA-style team project I'm working on right now ;). Come and discuss the mod in the dedicated channel in the Daughters of Ash Discord server if you'd like.

I hope you enjoy it! This was fun to make and a nice conceptual break for me from heavily scripted, story-based mods. Time to get back on that train...

https://www.nexusmods.com/darksoulsremastered/mods/255/

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Permadeath randomized Dark Souls is such a terrible idea rofl. Props to the guy for putting work in but it just makes no sense. Consistent/clever enemy locations and infinite lives are the only reason Dark Souls doesnt deteriorate into kiting every enemy one by one while crawling through the game.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

fits posted:

i never did get that close two a slash'em ascension :negative: had at least two promising runs that died pre-black market (a doppelganger rogue who died on the quest when a chameleon decided to turn into a hydra, and a vampire rogue that ate a corpse that was rotten and was stunned long enough for a mumak to round the corner and murder me) and a whole lot of dead vampires and werewolves in the early levels. maybe next year

i still got a couple ascensions in on nethack4 including my fastest ever ascension by wall-clock time ( just under 9 hours, actual playtime closer to 5-6) so i'll consider it a success anyway

I had some awful, awful deaths/quits this tournament.
I'll probably make an effortpost about them on like friday or whatever.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

No Wave posted:

Permadeath randomized Dark Souls is such a terrible idea rofl. Props to the guy for putting work in but it just makes no sense. Consistent/clever enemy locations and infinite lives are the only reason Dark Souls doesnt deteriorate into kiting every enemy one by one while crawling through the game.

I think this is largely true, but that there is a level of skill possessed by some in the Dark Souls community for whom this is not true. This would be for them.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

I think this is largely true, but that there is a level of skill possessed by some in the Dark Souls community for whom this is not true. This would be for them.

Oh hey Jordan do you want to fix the screenshots in the op?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lawman 0 posted:

Oh hey Jordan do you want to fix the screenshots in the op?

Yeah Id be willing to do that... but honestly I think it’s time for a new OP / thread.

The genre has changed a ton since I wrote that one and the things we talk about here (well, not really we as I don’t post here much anymore) have changed.

I was just gonna wait until lowtax is out and suggest someone do a new thread.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nah bloodborne root chalice dungeons can be awesome and I was disappointed dark souls 3 didn’t have something like them with the problems fixed. my fantasy bloodborne 2 would have a separate randomizer game mode that was just root dungeons with all the possible loot in the game added to them where you start at level 1 and base your build around what you find. I’d be into that mod if it was capable of changing level geometry though that seems beyond what any dark souls mod has been able to do.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah Id be willing to do that... but honestly I think it’s time for a new OP / thread.

The genre has changed a ton since I wrote that one and the things we talk about here (well, not really we as I don’t post here much anymore) have changed.

Sounds good to me

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Dungeonmans - great run so far! Monster Party? That sounds fun. poo poo.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Oldstench posted:

It's a party.

For the monsters, that is. And you're the entertainment.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Good idea. I notice Caves of Qud doesn't have an intro paragraph. What other new games should be added? Hades and Slay the Spire?

Oldstench posted:

Don't forget the DLC for Dungeonmans is less than $2.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 1, 2020

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Dungeonmans achieves v1.9 Weapons of Renown in a meaty update wrought of Finery & Intrigue:

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/288120/view/2505639402159733989

Oh yeah I need to go back to my current Dungeonmans character. I'm still a little salty about losing the last one...

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

Good idea. I notice Caves of Qud doesn't have an intro paragraph. What other new games should be added? Hades and Slay the Spire?

Don't forget the DLC for Dungeonmans is less than $2.

Monster Train, Gunfire Reborn, Zorbus

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

No Wave posted:

it actually whips rear end, randomized dark souls was already fun and this is the next step of that

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Oldstench posted:

I got Dungeonmans a few days ago, went in cold as The New Game Experience is pretty neat. First run deadmanned to the first boss because I thought I could do a "harder"(?) class right away.

Started the second run yesterday, with my new smarts, except WHO THE gently caress CAN RESIST SOMETHING CALLED SUPER AWESOME MONSTER PARTY?? You know it's a trap, you know these games, but

Third time is definitely going to be the charm, screw the graveyard keeper. Great game!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I will fully admit that any dungeon crawling roguelike in which the game clearly and directly informs you THIS IS A TRAP SERIOUSLY DON'T DO IT and then you know you'll jump in anyway is a-okay in my book and worth playing.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Dungeonmans is amazingly fun, seriously.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

valuum posted:

I got Dungeonmans a few days ago, went in cold as The New Game Experience is pretty neat. First run deadmanned to the first boss because I thought I could do a "harder"(?) class right away.

Started the second run yesterday, with my new smarts, except WHO THE gently caress CAN RESIST SOMETHING CALLED SUPER AWESOME MONSTER PARTY?? You know it's a trap, you know these games, but

Third time is definitely going to be the charm, screw the graveyard keeper. Great game!

Dungeonmans has a lot of very cool design decisions. For example there was a roguelike conference talk given by the designer saying that if you reject the initial Dungeonmans suggested to you when you start up the game, that named character can come back as an enemy later on. I think that was how it worked anyway.

I think my most memorable Dungeonmans moment was jumping around the boss arena where there were like six buzzsaws ricocheting around the room.

Edit: The talk I mentioned above may be in this video. Not sure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiaLUbW1Brg

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 1, 2020

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Helical Nightmares posted:

Edit: The talk I mentioned above may be in this video. Not sure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiaLUbW1Brg

Thanks! Quoting this so I can find it and have a look later, dont want to spoil things this early.

I realize I'm terribly late to Dungeonmans, but it being very meta feels even better now. The SUPER AWESOME MONSTER PARTY thing, I mean how can you resist. So glad I didnt google starting tips or such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I just hit 100 hours in it on Steam and it's 25% off so I guess I'll plug DemonCrawl because I don't see it getting enough love. Roguelite minesweeper sounds like some random genre poo poo you'd get playing a Game Dev Simulator but it turns out to be something that works really well.

What really makes it work (and what turns some people off) is that unlike classic Minesweeper, every level is not necessarily solvable without guessing. So instead of them just being a crutch, it becomes essential to take advantage of the 500+ different items in the game and explore their synergies. The game reveals its hand pretty slowly (it was a total miss for me the first time I tried to get into it, then I tried it a few months later, and all of a sudden, 100 hours) but once you get the hang of thing it truly captures the roguelike soul where you're forced to adapt to early challenges and build around early boons with the end result of a ton of different build possibilities. There's also a HUGE meta progression layer which may be a turn-off for some people, but the game is really clever about it and doesn't open up almost any of that stuff until you've beaten it at least once and proved a mastery of the core mechanics.

There's a ton of content there, and I'd recommend it to anyone who can understand how calling a game "bloated" can sort of be a compliment, or anyone curious about just how far you can push a weird concept. It's a really really cool game