Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ThomasPaine posted:

the best fish and chips in the country is the tail-end in st andrews, bar none.

1) it's the Ashvale in Aberdeen.

2) if the UK ever needs an enema St Andrews is where they're going to put it, so I don't care what the chipper is like.

E: appropriately, 193 is an odious number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1277932346797416448?s=20
https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1277940035921330176?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

McDonalds went to court with like print outs of the Wikipedia page for the Big Mac as most of their evidence
:lmao:

*adds Bardehle Pagenberg to the list of legal firms never to hire*

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

That being said few things in the world anger me more than people who call "curry chips" the singular "a curry chip."

In NI it's 'a curry chip'. 'Pea and chip', 'Gravy and chip', 'Bean and chip', etc. But curry chip.

It's 'chipper' that gets me. ITS CHIPPY!

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The charity shop I volunteered in pre-rona was cash only. There's definitely something to be said about card-only shops excluding people who don't have access to banking services for whatever reason, but a lot of the older customers I chatted to weren't underbanked, they just flat out didn't want to use cards, machines or anything that isn't physical cash handed over the counter. Which would explain the need for granny trolleys, I genuinely had a few regular customers who would carry massive heavy bags of thirty or forty quid in loose change and count everything out one coin at a time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

mushy peas are shite

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1277944688511791105

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

powerful stuff from the greatest pm of our time

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/markmcan/status/1277945960052731907
lol

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Look, a real friend of Jewish people, would have immediately promoted Rachel Reeves to shadow cabinet and then sacked her. Unfortunately Jeremy Corbyn was too antisemitic to do this at the time.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

"No mood for compromise?" Not a week since he said how confident he was there was a way forward if we just talked and stopped lobbing bricks at each other.

But I guess some fights are more important than others :jerkbag:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jose posted:

mushy peas are shite

That’s why real pros just go for Pea wet

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jedit posted:

2) if the UK ever needs an enema St Andrews is where they're going to put it, so I don't care what the chipper is like.

It's a very pretty town but I can't disagree, honestly. Going there after growing up in working class Tyneside radicalised me more than anything else.

Jose posted:

mushy peas are shite

Mods I know you're dealing with a lot atm but this cannot be allowed to slide.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I've been thinking more about universalism, and how people get all funny about it - "why should we waste our tax money giving things to people who could afford it themselves?" (cf broadband). But mostly the NHS gets a free pass on this. The view that it should be a safety net system for ~~the poor~~ while real people buy fancy health insurance is a much more fringe view than "Broadband Communism!!!"

And I'm wondering why that is. Is it

- Because the NHS has always been there for the vast majority of the population, and is therefore normal and correct?

- Because literally everyone needs a complete health system to exist literally all of the time, which could be argued not to be the case with broadband and other potential UBS candidates?

- Because healthcare is so important and the lack thereof so scary that they're terrified into supporting it?

- Because once the well-off actually have the UBS, they find that it's quite nice not to have to worry about it actually.

If it's the last one, what would be a good wedge service to do first, to start the ball rolling? Broadband is obviously too frivolous, what with its primary uses being lolcats and sexting teens (:rolleyes:)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Water.

NI had free residential water up until the 2000s, when they started trying to introduce metering and charges, and the backlash was so severe that everyone from all over the political spectrum turned around and said "well of course I opposed the charges all along."

Also water is a necessity, water companies are a fixed monopoly (I can't change which private water company I have to pay without moving house), and we're all acutely aware of how water helps prevent disease spread right now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it's almost entirely inertia, people like having a good service they don't have to worry about, weirdly. People don't actually like means testing or paperwork or whatever, a service you can trust and which is always available when you need it is a fundamentally humanist thing, it's the kind of relationship you have with your closest kindred, or with your home (ideally), it's just there, it's reliable, you can trust it, it's safe.

That is the power of universalism. You give people a rock and they will stand on it. If you hate rocks, you have to make sure people never get one, cos they won't let it go once they have it.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Mods I know you're dealing with a lot atm but this cannot be allowed to slide.

You're absolutely right. It should be added to the OP.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's almost entirely inertia, people like having a good service they don't have to worry about, weirdly. People don't actually like means testing or paperwork or whatever, a service you can trust and which is always available when you need it is a fundamentally humanist thing, it's the kind of relationship you have with your closest kindred, or with your home (ideally), it's just there, it's reliable, you can trust it, it's safe.

That is the power of universalism. You give people a rock and they will stand on it. If you hate rocks, you have to make sure people never get one, cos they won't let it go once they have it.
You need to keep it going for a while too. You reverse it within 5 years and you can set the narrative as "the loony left's free stuff plan failed, so we have to reverse it and also cut spending" whereas if you can keep it going for >10 years people will have a "tf is this?" reaction when they get a water bill.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Don't forget to hold the note(s) in your mouth while you search through your coins Chippy Goons.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bobstar posted:

I've been thinking more about universalism, and how people get all funny about it - "why should we waste our tax money giving things to people who could afford it themselves?" (cf broadband). But mostly the NHS gets a free pass on this. The view that it should be a safety net system for ~~the poor~~ while real people buy fancy health insurance is a much more fringe view than "Broadband Communism!!!"

And I'm wondering why that is. Is it

- Because the NHS has always been there for the vast majority of the population, and is therefore normal and correct?

- Because literally everyone needs a complete health system to exist literally all of the time, which could be argued not to be the case with broadband and other potential UBS candidates?

- Because healthcare is so important and the lack thereof so scary that they're terrified into supporting it?

- Because once the well-off actually have the UBS, they find that it's quite nice not to have to worry about it actually.

If it's the last one, what would be a good wedge service to do first, to start the ball rolling? Broadband is obviously too frivolous, what with its primary uses being lolcats and sexting teens (:rolleyes:)

A little bit of the first, a little bit of the second, I think.

The first because inertia is powerful; the fact that we managed to actually BUILD a system like this in the first place is such a huge achievement.

The second points to the objections to fre broadband as just a frivolity - people will acknowledge that broadband (or a fridge, or a phone line, or electricity) are functionally necessary for life, but as long as you don't literally die as soon as you don't have access to them, they're not THAT necessary, are they?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1277960112691273728?s=21

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1277960119611871234?s=21

The government isn't publishing community testing data ('Pillar 2'), and it's hiding a second wave.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

It's 'chipper' that gets me. ITS CHIPPY!

Chipmongers

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Dead Goon posted:

Don't forget to hold the note(s) in your mouth while you search through your coins Chippy Goons.

Back when I worked retail (when all the notes were still paper rather than polymer) this strung out looking guy came in and paid with a fiver that was sodden wet and crumped up. It was disgusting and don't know whether he'd pissed his pants or used it to blow his nose or jerk off into or what but oh my lord. The funniest part is he was in with his girlfriend who was standing right next to him and didn't bat an eye, a scary, scary experience.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jel Shaker posted:

That’s why real pros just go for Pea wet

he's a gate, pea wet on a babies head an am like, ya wha, then she's a gate me, I just want a pie butty me, ta, an am li stop shrikein you's two and straight away they were showin their arse an he's a gate straight away our kids say you were a bloody barmpot an any road he won't be chuffed to sken you's not giving us us tea so I were a gate get t'gently caress you's can make your own bloody scran ere's a bin lid and some marge an they were a gate soz hard

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E: ^^^^^^ is this Irvine Welsh or Anthony Burgess?

Disturbing but utterly unsurprising

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

this is the journalist who was slating people on twitter for questioning the government herd immunity plan. ayesha hazarika is the person responsible for the Controls on Immigration mug and possible the Ed Stone and now works for Times Radio

https://twitter.com/jackseale/status/1248912012098314240?s=20

That tweet made me absolutely furious. But having reflected on it clearly she's basing her slating the intelligence of humanity degree holders on herself so that part is legit at least. The lack of intellectual curiosity in a journalist is just stunning though.

tweet already deleted, what did it say?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: ^^^^^^ is this Irvine Welsh or Anthony Burgess?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Puntification posted:

That tweet made me absolutely furious. But having reflected on it clearly she's basing her slating the intelligence of humanity degree holders on herself so that part is legit at least. The lack of intellectual curiosity in a journalist is just stunning though.

i think it was the Vote Blue No Matter Who post but for keir starmer instead of the democrats

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Puntification posted:

Saying that the people calling for Rachel Reeves to be sacked from Starmer's cabinet are hypocrites because they didn't ask for Corbyn to sack her from his shadow cabinet that she wasn't part of when she was praising Astor.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Fun fact, the contactless limit doesn't seem to apply to phone payments. Presumably because you have to unlock it rather than just using a card that fell out of someone's pocket. I've bought multiple £100+ fortnightly shops with my phone during The Corona.
You're correct as to why - because you have to unlock your phone or smartwatch in order to use it, it has the "second factor" of authentication that means it's a far lower risk of fraud.

There is still a limit, though - the exact limit depends on the vendor, but it's typically somewhere between £100 and £250 :)

//edit: It's also up to the vendor as to whether they have this "two factor limit" enabled or not - if they don't, it uses the standard limit - which is now £45.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Ah steptoe, of course

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah rip

https://twitter.com/UrsulaLawrence/status/1277963016416440320?s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MPSTowerHam/status/1277560893342199808

Wasn't "swimming lanes next to main roads" one of the ideas from that Thick of It episode with the ideas retreat?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

i think it was the Vote Blue No Matter Who post but for keir starmer instead of the democrats

Voting for starmer is the pinnacle of voting for blue because he's both a cop and a tory.

Guavanaut posted:

Saying that the people calling for Rachel Reeves to be sacked from Starmer's cabinet are hypocrites because they didn't ask for Corbyn to sack her from his shadow cabinet that she wasn't part of when she was praising Astor.

I feel like all modern politics should be understood through the Sartre quote about antisemites not caring about their own arguments and delighting in acting in bad faith because words don't mean anything to them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

He died in the middle of a series of tweets reminiscing about Noel Coward. An entertainer to the last.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Poor Mel Brooks.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Fish & Chip chat: If you're in North London, Poseidon in E Finchley & Two Brothers in Finchley Central are at the top end of what I've had across London*. My girlfriend rates Toffs in Muswell Hill too but never eaten from there.

*I'm from W Yorkshire so nothing down here will ever taste remotely as good as Northern chips, but at least you get an absolute poo poo ton of the things down South.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Goldskull posted:

*I'm from W Yorkshire so nothing down here will ever taste remotely as good as Northern chips, but at least you get an absolute poo poo ton of the things down South.

It's a trick of the mind. Food always tastes best after a hard days work so I imagine a bag of chips tastes incredible after hours in a pitch dark blizzard evading the walrus cavalry or whatever it is that happens in yorkshire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
'salt n sauce, pal' is the only acceptable response to 'want anything on that?'

I miss Edinburgh chippies