Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's also pretty ambiguous if the Nerevarine is there to save Morrowind from Dagoth Ur, or is a tool of Azura's revenge against the Tribunal

TES lore has always been vastly cooler than the stuff in the games - the Warp in the West, the first Dragon Break, the Gods being tricked into creating the world, wood elves being cannibalistic shapeshifters, instead of the weird hobbity guys in Morrowind.
also a tool of the Empire - it doesn't get a hugely deep exploration specifically but there's a lot of fun subtext about how Empire adapts, bastardises and manipulates cultures, folk tales, dissident beliefs etc to eventually subsume them

I used to think "yeah but you can wear the ring which proves you're the nerevarine" then remembered who enchanted the ring and that she's letting you put it on because you're her weapon lol

The game literally says in dialogue that you are not the Nerevarine - I think Caius says it - but that you may become it by fitting the description. It's word for word text that it's just a descriptor of the dude who successfully does the stuff in the prophecy. Even before you get into the lore/mantling stuff I feel like it's often overlooked that this is explicitly stated

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Show us the giant tiger like ones that they use as cavalry. Give me cats riding cats!

This reminded me of one of my favorite tweets of all time and I have to show it to the world

https://twitter.com/ponettplus/status/1130876119828316161

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

also a tool of the Empire - it doesn't get a hugely deep exploration specifically but there's a lot of fun subtext about how Empire adapts, bastardises and manipulates cultures, folk tales, dissident beliefs etc to eventually subsume them

I used to think "yeah but you can wear the ring which proves you're the nerevarine" then remembered who enchanted the ring and that she's letting you put it on because you're her weapon lol

The game literally says in dialogue that you are not the Nerevarine - I think Caius says it - but that you may become it by fitting the description. It's word for word text that it's just a descriptor of the dude who successfully does the stuff in the prophecy. Even before you get into the lore/mantling stuff I feel like it's often overlooked that this is explicitly stated

The ashlander wise woman who educates you on the prophecies tells you that. "You are not the Nerevarine. But you are someone who may become the Nerevarine".

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

haveblue posted:

This reminded me of one of my favorite tweets of all time and I have to show it to the world

https://twitter.com/ponettplus/status/1130876119828316161

Bahahaha, what is this from?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No idea but from the editing it's probably a TV documentary about He-Man or maybe toys in general.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

lord funk posted:

Absolutely looks like a Toys That Made Us moment although I'm not sure I've seen that one.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

lord funk posted:

The Toys That Made Us series, it's on Netflix.

The production sometimes bugs me, but the content is great.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
the same doc that inexplicably has this chair in the background in the Barbie episode

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Samuringa posted:

the same doc that inexplicably has this chair in the background in the Barbie episode

It looks like a sex doll got melted into a lawn chair and the put up as a "sculpture."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Samuringa posted:

This is a dirty behind the scenes look at what really goes on for Barbie girls in their Barbie worlds.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Danaru posted:

I like that theres dozens of different kind of khajit but we only get to see the one kind. Show us the talking housecat one you goddamn cowards

ESO has ya covered

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Danaru posted:

Morrowind had the best drat take on "chosen one" stories and I'm so disappointed that Oblivion and Skyrim just had regular rear end magical blood stories. At least skyrim had yelling at dragons

I mean, I still give credit to Oblivion because it has a chosen one narrative where you explicitly aren't the chosen one. You're just some helpful weirdo that got put in the wrong jail cell, the ACTUAL chosen one is someone else.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I mean, I still give credit to Oblivion because it has a chosen one narrative where you explicitly aren't the chosen one. You're just some helpful weirdo that got put in the wrong jail cell, the ACTUAL chosen one is someone else.

Which is super fun I must say. I'm lying, it isn't.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Zoig posted:

ESO has ya covered

ESO seems like it has many interesting parts of the setting and world, but I abhor MMORPG game mechanics. I tried to play it for a bit but hated the gameplay. Kind of a shame.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

4 is one I've played very little of, but from everything I see V feels like an ultra-refined version of its updated mechanics that focuses on actually letting you use them as much as you want in-game. I'll play it someday if there's a good way outside of the dumb playstation streaming service :arghfist:

e:vvv :hmmyes:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 05:42 on Jun 30, 2020

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

4 is one I've played very little of, but from everything I see V feels like an ultra-refined version of its updated mechanics that focuses on actually letting you use them as much as you want in-game. I'll play it someday if there's a good way outside of the dumb playstation streaming service :arghfist:

MGS4 has a pretty fun game in it, its just they go out of their way to never let you play it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Last of Us 2's puzzles are so much better, it's awesome.

Also I feel super hyped about being able to crack safes by ear. It means I haven't totally destroyed my hearing after all from listening to things above the recommended volume with headphones all the time after all. :unsmith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

The Last of Us 2's puzzles are so much better, it's awesome.

Also I feel super hyped about being able to crack safes by ear. It means I haven't totally destroyed my hearing after all from listening to things above the recommended volume with headphones all the time after all. :unsmith:

Goddamn, I didn't know you could do that :magical:.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah you just keep pressing volume up when it warns you.

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 07:23 on Jun 30, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It makes a slightly deeper click when you scroll over the correct number. Give it a shot if you decide to play the game over with one you've got the code for.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The 'the prophecy just applies to whoever fulfils it' is also true of Dark Souls.

Bonus because you can find out the whole prophecy is made up as a way to get you to replace Gwyn. The giant titty lady Gwynevere who 'explains' the plot to you is just an illusion created by her brother Gwyndolin.

(Apparently Gwynevere was originally going to have a much more 'holy woman' serene aesthetic, but after the artist showed the director the current design and was so enthusiastic about it, he didn't have the heart to say no)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
one of my favorite little things in games is how Gwyndolin is a trans woman and is explicitly referred to as a woman in both the english and japanese versions of Dark Souls

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The prophecy in Dark Souls is great, because it's both a meatgrinder to keep the Age of Fire lung by succeeding Gwyn as fuel for the First Flame, and also a way to deal with all these undead running around by giving them something to do (since you go hollow if you lose your purpose, and a Grand Quest Narrative is a great purpose).

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

flatluigi posted:

one of my favorite little things in games is how Gwyndolin is a trans woman and is explicitly referred to as a woman in both the english and japanese versions of Dark Souls

The moonlight equipment set refers to Gwyn as a male, but was raised as a daughter due to an affinity with the moon. There's no indication Gwyndolin expressed any sort of gender identity beyond that. Gwyn didn't even have any choice in the matter.

Its even said on one of the description of his rings that he was utterly repulsed by his appearance, and created the illusion of his sister as a way of handling that.

Four-Eyes has a new favorite as of 09:40 on Jun 30, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bewilderment posted:

The 'the prophecy just applies to whoever fulfils it' is also true of Dark Souls.

Bonus because you can find out the whole prophecy is made up as a way to get you to replace Gwyn. The giant titty lady Gwynevere who 'explains' the plot to you is just an illusion created by her brother Gwyndolin.

(Apparently Gwynevere was originally going to have a much more 'holy woman' serene aesthetic, but after the artist showed the director the current design and was so enthusiastic about it, he didn't have the heart to say no)

Yeah it's a very similar take actually.

It feels like something that should be addressed more in any setting with active/biased gods or what have you. Instead most stories like that seem to go for prophecies being a weird separate unmalleable thing.

Though I guess that's true of some real world sources, like the Norse gods knowing how and when they're fated to die at Ragnarok

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Prophecy can be interesting, but often it's just lazy writing as a way to justify the protagonist being right. "Prophecy said so, let him have your gold, weapons and daughter or you're standing in the way of the world being saved"

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

flatluigi posted:

I would like more trans representation in games- but unfortunately I don't think you are correct here.

It would be legit better imo if you were right but I'm not sure its supported by the text.

For the sake of argument though- the optics of the only explicitly trans person in the game being a deciever hiding behind an illusion of thier sister isn't...great.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
There was a character in Guild Wars 2 who was legitimately transgender, and transitioned between the destruction of a city and its subsequent rebuilding. It was a neat little side story about her personal happiness seeming more important than ever, and was a totally inoffensive character.

...until she mentioned that her magical powers of illusion made it all easier. :psyduck:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Elfface posted:

Prophecy can be interesting, but often it's just lazy writing as a way to justify the protagonist being right. "Prophecy said so, let him have your gold, weapons and daughter or you're standing in the way of the world being saved"

That is why I have always liked in the way the Dune books handled it, and by extension Morrowind. In Dune, the prophecy was total bullshit that the religious organization of the universe or whatever had planted specifically so that their agents could take advantage of it in the future if need be. And in Morrowind, it's a similar thing where the Empire learns about the prophecy and decides to use it as a way to gain influence and power in a vassal country that doesn't like them.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Four-Eyes posted:

...until she mentioned that her magical powers of illusion made it all easier. :psyduck:

I mean... wouldn't they? Maybe it's more offensive in context but in a setting where magic exists "I used magic to help get the appearance I want" doesn't seem weird.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
I think it's just odd that there was an emphasis on illusions and magic being behind the transition. I don't doubt that the writers intentions were pure, but it's one of those things I find personally irritating - that there's a waft of trickery behind it all, and there's nothing real.

Take that element away and I wouldn't have found anything objectionable about the way she was handled.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

That is why I have always liked in the way the Dune books handled it, and by extension Morrowind. In Dune, the prophecy was total bullshit that the religious organization of the universe or whatever had planted specifically so that their agents could take advantage of it in the future if need be. And in Morrowind, it's a similar thing where the Empire learns about the prophecy and decides to use it as a way to gain influence and power in a vassal country that doesn't like them.

Maybe I misunderstood it but my reading of Dune was that the prophesy was designed as a way for a Bene Gesserit in unfortunate circumstances to get out of them with the help of the true believing locals.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

VanSandman posted:

Maybe I misunderstood it but my reading of Dune was that the prophesy was designed as a way for a Bene Gesserit in unfortunate circumstances to get out of them with the help of the true believing locals.

Yep, the Missionoria Protectiva specifically created religions or inserted things into existing ones where Reverend Mothers could easily appear to be holy figures if they were ever in a jam and had to go underground thousands of years later.

That’s not really part of the Kwisatz Haderach thing, though, which was a specific person the BG were trying to create who could access parts of their generational memory a reverend mother couldn’t.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Four-Eyes posted:

I think it's just odd that there was an emphasis on illusions and magic being behind the transition. I don't doubt that the writers intentions were pure, but it's one of those things I find personally irritating - that there's a waft of trickery behind it all, and there's nothing real.

Take that element away and I wouldn't have found anything objectionable about the way she was handled.

Yeah its poo poo like that- that trans people are tied to illusion and deception- that leans towards some loving vile and ultimately dangerous assumptions about why people transition.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

the prophecy was total bullshit that the religious organization of the universe or whatever had planted specifically so that their agents could take advantage of it in the future if need be.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yep, the Missionoria Protectiva specifically created religions or inserted things into existing ones where Reverend Mothers could easily appear to be holy figures if they were ever in a jam and had to go underground thousands of years later.

That’s not really part of the Kwisatz Haderach thing, though, which was a specific person the BG were trying to create who could access parts of their generational memory a reverend mother couldn’t.

The KH is separate from the Fremen concept of the Mahdi, yeah. The Mahdi prophecy was the one that was created for the use of BG agents and is to what I was referring.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Just Offscreen posted:

Yeah its poo poo like that- that trans people are tied to illusion and deception- that leans towards some loving vile and ultimately dangerous assumptions about why people transition.

Pretty much. Maybe that example just hit a bit too close to home for me, lol

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gwyn is a bad dad. He exiled his eldest son and deleted his name from history. The actual Gwynevere bailed and left Lordran entirely to live with her husband and is never actually interacted with in any game. His youngest daughter he put into a permanent coma in order to maintain an illusion of control over the Dark Soul. And when Gwyndolin was born he basically said "No one should ever see you because....gently caress." Gwyndolin is the only child that stayed around after Bad Dad left, but because they had internalized Dad's message of staying out of sight, they needed to set up illusions of their much more fondly remembered sister to maintain the "everything's hunky-dory" front. Gwyndolin also runs the cops faction.

I am not sure what parts of Gwyndolin's sexual identity were pushed onto them by Dad's expectations ("You're associated with moon, so wear this gown") or are actually their choice, but given how much pressure Gwyndolin seems to be under to meet Bad Dad's expectations...

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Yeah regardless of Gwyndolin's gender the family situation is mega hosed up.

Also don't forget they literally got eaten and assimilated into a blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
To be fair the cops faction in Dark Souls is ok because it’s a purely defensive system and also it’s fictional so it doesn’t need to reflect reality :colbert: