Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

professor metis posted:

Dorothea is another character whose A supports mostly end in her angling for marriage, but honestly that seems in character. Why not line up a bunch of options just in case, right?

Hilda's another entertaining one. She explicitly discusses marriage with Lorenz, and downright propositions Caspar. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hilda/Caspar A is one of the best supports in the game

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
hilda is the best in general, though

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cythereal posted:

Hilda's another entertaining one. She explicitly discusses marriage with Lorenz, and downright propositions Caspar. :v:

Oh. She doesn't "proposition" him. She tells him to come to her room, and when he asks "why," she tells him its to help her clean and to not worry about it. There is no bargaining going on there.

Also, their post-game story is great. Give up their titles, go gently caress off globe trotting, and have a bunch of kids. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AlternateNu posted:

Oh. She doesn't "proposition" him. She tells him to come to her room, and when he asks "why," she tells him its to help her clean and to not worry about it. There is no bargaining going on there.

Also, their post-game story is great. Give up their titles, go gently caress off globe trotting, and have a bunch of kids. :v:

Because Caspar is dense as hell, yes.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So reading a bit through this thread I didn't realize that I'd be missing out on some paralogues if I don't have certain characters recruited on certain paths. I finished the Black Eagles route a while ago and now I'm working on Blue Lions. I assume I only get locked out of the paralogues after the time skip as I've been able to do paralogues with characters from other houses before then.

Any chance there is a spoiler free list of them somewhere? For instance only because of this thread I know that for Mercedes' paralogue I need to have Caspar recruited.

I plan on running through all the paths at some point, but I don't really care to recruit too many characters from other houses since the deployment limit kind of limits me to my entire house + 1, and with the Cindered Shadows characters I'm well past that limit now anyway. But if I need certain characters to get access to some paralogues then I'm gonna do it for that at least

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So reading a bit through this thread I didn't realize that I'd be missing out on some paralogues if I don't have certain characters recruited on certain paths. I finished the Black Eagles route a while ago and now I'm working on Blue Lions. I assume I only get locked out of the paralogues after the time skip as I've been able to do paralogues with characters from other houses before then.

Any chance there is a spoiler free list of them somewhere? For instance only because of this thread I know that for Mercedes' paralogue I need to have Caspar recruited.

I plan on running through all the paths at some point, but I don't really care to recruit too many characters from other houses since the deployment limit kind of limits me to my entire house + 1, and with the Cindered Shadows characters I'm well past that limit now anyway. But if I need certain characters to get access to some paralogues then I'm gonna do it for that at least

Here's a list that has all of them both pre and post time skip as well as listing the routes they aren't available on even if you have the people you need.

https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/8828-fire-emblem-three-houses-paralogues-paralogue-list-and-rewards

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

But if I need certain characters to get access to some paralogues then I'm gonna do it for that at least

With the Lions, the only poaching-related paralogue you could potentially miss out on is post-timeskip and you need Caspar for it.

The paralogues for Dimitri, Dedue, Sylvain, and Felix are all solitary affairs, Ingrid's and Ashe's are pre-timeskip so you get them anyway with the other character as a guest, and Annette's is paired with a character who automatically joins during the story.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

:hmmyes: Bernie and Hubert is one of my fav ships in game. It's such a good match.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
Does Three Houses ever go on sale? I see Warriors on sale all the time, but the price on Three Houses hasn't really fluctuated since release.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Its a first party nintendo game, so no. Gamestop is still charging full price for shadow dragon and awakening.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Roshambo posted:

Does Three Houses ever go on sale? I see Warriors on sale all the time, but the price on Three Houses hasn't really fluctuated since release.

It may go on sale later but it hasn't even been a year since it was released.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

Its a first party nintendo game, so no. Gamestop is still charging full price for shadow dragon and awakening.
dunno about physical but nintendo games do go on eshop sales now (sometimes)

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Pokemon Soul Silver is 60$ pre-owned at GameStop so I'd say no

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Shadow Dragon did go to the discount bins for a while. It just shot back up in price later since nobody bought it, like Radiant Dawn, and then after Awakening people wanted Fire Emblem games again.

Interesting thing is that Fates did drop in price.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Finally catching up on the paralogues, and man. Anna is definitely a long-lost Ferengi.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Hubert/Ferdinand is both a better ending for Hubert and doesn't have the dubious honor of being one of his many endings that was altered in translation to make him look more heterosexual (he only had two non-Byleth endings that were romantic originally and neither were this one).

The Hubert/Bernadetta support is cute but it's more cute if they're just friends.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is there a site where I can see which supports have been de-gayed in the translation?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Like Clockwork posted:

Hubert/Ferdinand is both a better ending for Hubert and doesn't have the dubious honor of being one of his many endings that was altered in translation to make him look more heterosexual (he only had two non-Byleth endings that were romantic originally and neither were this one).

The Hubert/Bernadetta support is cute but it's more cute if they're just friends.

I'm not sure why're you're trying to answer "Bernie has no good paired endings" to make a point about Hubert but OK...

I'll let someone better with Japanese take a crack at it but it indicates Hubie/Bernie got hitched to me.

ベルナデッタ †

新生アドラステア帝国の新たな宮内卿ヒューベルトと、新たなヴァーリ伯爵ベルナデッタの婚姻は、その意外な取り合わせから帝都のみならず広く民の話題に上った。
ヒューベルトは皇帝エーデルガルトの右腕として働く傍ら、ヴァーリ領の経営に携わることになり、
結婚を機に開き直ったベルナデッタは帝国そのものが自領になったとばかりに各地に出向き、そこそこの活躍を見せる。
フォドラを陰から守るための戦いに明け暮れる二人の胸元には、揃いの精緻な刺繍が花を咲かせていたという。

Torrannor posted:

Is there a site where I can see which supports have been de-gayed in the translation?

There was a list floating around somewhere I can't find at the moment. But if it's any same-sex pairing it's like an 80% chance it got subtext and text altered.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 30, 2020

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Like Clockwork posted:

Just because Hubert has (arguably) better endings does not change how the Bernie/Hubert is a good paired ending, and how this whole tangent started with you saying how Bernie has no good paired endings at all. Hubert having another ending you prefer does not make Bernie's ending with him somehow bad.

Like Clockwork posted:

(Bernie has no good paired endings at all, as probably the most egregious example).

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

The fact that an ending has other, more damning other-character reasons for why I strongly dislike it doesn't mean I don't find it at best meh, and even in the hypothetical where it didn't have romance awkwardly shoehorned in in translation it is mediocre, and mediocrity is not good. Her best ending would be by far her solo even without the other factors.

e: if anyone brings up the Byleth one, i do not consider someone ending up so traumatized by what they experience that they show it in a completely different way "good". The ending where she is still clearly considered formidable but is able to interact with the world on her own terms is by far the best.

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 30, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Like Clockwork posted:

The fact that an ending has other, more damning other-character reasons for why I strongly dislike it doesn't mean I don't find it at best meh, and even in the hypothetical where it didn't have romance awkwardly shoehorned in in translation it is mediocre, and mediocrity is not good. Her best ending would be by far her solo even without the other factors.

e: if anyone brings up the Byleth one, i do not consider someone ending up so traumatized by what they experience that they show it in a completely different way "good". The ending where she is still clearly considered formidable but is able to interact with the world on her own terms is by far the best.

I have no idea what context Byleth would even be brought up in because your point is so utterly confusing now.

I am also still confused as to the translation mistakes you're referencing in Hubie/Bernie. The closest I can find is the person who did all the Ferdibert posts and even then it's not a direct commentary on the ending panel itself. Just stating that their A is fairly platonic. But plenty of A supports are platonic and still go unto marriage. Caspar really only has one acknowledgement from himself regarding romance in supports (maybe two if you stretch it) but can marry a bunch.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 30, 2020

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I like Bernie and Raphael's ending

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

The only endings (not supports, endings, we can talk about endings that don't fit supports (SETETH.) until the cows come home but they aren't the discussion) of Hubert that are explicitly romantic in JPN are Shamir, Byleth (who basically doesn't count because their platonic supports can be counted on one hand), and Ferdinand. Which, like, at best you might be able to argue for ambiguity but at the same time: Ferdinand and Shamir get an explicit mention of romantic love but not (for a much stronger example) Edelgard, despite it being a dynamic Intsys loves to an obnoxious degree? It is telling that they don't even try to make it more explicit.

I do have a source but due to the nature of it (a pretty casual conversation between two people wrt Hubert's writing in jpn vs the eng localization as a whole) I would need to ask before sharing on SA of all places, and they aren't super active right now. That would be a very large and much more permanent set of eyes on it than the person likely intended when they shared in the first place.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Like Clockwork posted:

The only endings (not supports, endings, we can talk about endings that don't fit supports (SETETH.) until the cows come home but they aren't the discussion) of Hubert that are explicitly romantic in JPN are Shamir, Byleth (who basically doesn't count because their platonic supports can be counted on one hand), and Ferdinand. Which, like, at best you might be able to argue for ambiguity but at the same time: Ferdinand and Shamir get an explicit mention of romantic love but not (for a much stronger example) Edelgard, despite it being a dynamic Intsys loves to an obnoxious degree? It is telling that they don't even try to make it more explicit.

I do have a source but due to the nature of it (a pretty casual conversation between two people wrt Hubert's writing in jpn vs the eng localization as a whole) I would need to ask before sharing on SA of all places, and they aren't super active right now. That would be a very large and much more permanent set of eyes on it than the person likely intended when they shared in the first place.

You keep changing what your stance is. You were going on about how Hubert/Bernadetta's ending was edited in translation to be more romantic. But your supporting stance is just that Hubert has more explicitly romantic endings? So? I'd even agree he has more romantic endings but again what does that specifically have to do with the H/B paired ending? Because the language isn't strong enough? I posted their JP ending. It looks mildly clear to me that the ENG ending was accurate to the text, but again, if someone wants to correct me feel free.

I don't even think the ENG ending is all that romantic either just to be clear.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

They were edited in English to be pretty explicitly romantic when in the original they were much more ambiguous. These are not contradictory statements, and to twist my words like that makes it pretty clear that this isn't an argument in good faith.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Like Clockwork posted:

They were edited in English to be pretty explicitly romantic when in the original they were much more ambiguous. These are not contradictory statements, and to twist my words like that makes it pretty clear that this isn't an argument in good faith.

What am I twisting around? You've said the more romantic H/B is an ENG translation mistake and I've said twice the JP text for their ending seems accurate and invited people to correct me. You have a casual discourse to back this up. Cool! I do that all the time myself. I try to keep my ear to the ground for news like this so I want to learn.

But then to support H/B being platonic you've kept saying that Hubert has more clear romantic endings. And I've agreed! But I don't know why that suddenly stops H/B from being romantic either — even when I've stated I don't think H/B ENG is very romantic either. Edelgard can only have kids with Ferdinand so does she not love Byleth like him?

e: eh final line was too combative.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 30, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

this is it, it's the dumbest argument in this thread. you've done it, you've beat all the morality debates

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Amppelix posted:

this is it, it's the dumbest argument in this thread. you've done it, you've beat all the morality debates

Ha! Just watch me! This time next month I'll hit new lows!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hey just wondering what everyone's general opinion is on the relative morality of the character edelgard von hresvelg from the video game fire emblem three houses for the Nintendo switch video game entertainment system. No particular reason just wondering.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

edelgard is smarter than every poster in this thread even at her stupidest

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am sure this time we will finally come to a conclusion that satisfies everyone.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Edelgard good.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Like Clockwork posted:

edelgard is smarter than every poster in this thread even at her stupidest

Would edelgard have strong posting opinions

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
edelgard owns

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Junpei Hyde posted:

Would edelgard have strong posting opinions

Edelgard would post calmly until it was the right time to start a flamewar and then she'd start the biggest flamewar ever seen in an internet forum, with a post so aggresive and opionated that everyone would jump in to debate it/attack her, and it would change the internet forever.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Edelgard would post calmly until it was the right time to start a flamewar and then she'd start the biggest flamewar ever seen in an internet forum, with a post so aggresive and opionated that everyone would jump in to debate it/attack her, and it would change the internet forever.

Now this.

This is a good post.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The real problem with this thread isnt the opinions its the people who feel the need to post like tedious dipshits who have uncovered the Raw Facts instead of just people with an opinion on a glorified dating sim

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

I like Bernie and Raphael's ending

Yeah this is by far my favorite paired ending for Bernie. She grows so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

Yeah this is by far my favorite paired ending for Bernie. She grows so much!

I don't care for their paired ending, but Bernie's final support with Seteth is one of the funniest in the game for me. Bernie writes self-insert fanfic of Saint Cichol where she falls in love with Cichol... and gives it to Seteth.