Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Funny how we can be so racist yet also extremely receptive to adopting foreign tastes and flavours

we had a whole "thing" about that over a period of some centuries, iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Stilton is the bland mild cheddar of blue cheeses :colbert:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
All blue cheeses are a mistake, imo.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

correct

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
Holy poo poo, how can people choose just one favourite cheese? Like asking for your favourite film, it depends on your mood.
There's best cheddar, soft, brie, goats, soft blue, hard blue, probably more types but Tesco's had some good offers on gin.
EDIT: Whatever type Gruyere counts as.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I used to make goats cheese ice cream. It tasted absolutely incredible.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Who eats mild cheddar anyway? :/

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
my idea of purgatory is having to sit in an entirely beige room watching Michael McIntyre and Miranda continuously and having only mild cheddar, mellow birds coffee and those big, thin and entirely tasteless crackers with the little holes in for an eternity

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
You talkin' poo poo about Matzo?

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

crispix posted:

Who eats mild cheddar anyway? :/

Cheese toasties with tomatoes and hot sauce mixed in is an acceptable use of cathedral city.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Oh no, the UK is terrible at Mexican cuisine.

Mexican cuisine is pretty much the same poo poo every meal but folded differently and given a new name.

Buy some hot sauces from your local UK hot sauce provider:

Buy some ground beef, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper available in every supermarket. If you wanna go fancy buy some peppers too.

Buy taco shells or burrito wraps and gently caress all the ingredients into the wrapper of your choice.

Eat. Enjoy.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

goldenninjawarrior posted:

Went to barburrito a couple of times when I lived by Manchester and it was thoroughly miserable both times but I don't remember exactly why.

I've been to BarBurrito a few times, and the food was fine but up to nine quid for what is essentially a tube of rice is a bit much.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i like lactose free cheese :unsmith:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Butterfly Valley posted:

Cheese is one of the few subjects I have to be careful with around my students because the French ones particularly see British Cheese as a very funny two word joke, mainly because the only British cheeses generally available here are dogshit bright orange American style cheddars and also the French absolutely huff their own farts due to decades of the rest of the world fawning over their cuisine. I have been visibly irritated while having to defend our cheese producing credentials, which I would argue are at least as good if not better than anywhere else in the world.

There's many things wrong with the UK but the fact you can go into any medium sized supermarket and get a respectable selection of British and also European cheeses is a very good thing. Funny how we can be so racist yet also extremely receptive to adopting foreign tastes and flavours

Somerset and Cornish Brie is better than French Brie.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Butterfly Valley posted:

the French absolutely huff their own farts due to decades of the rest of the world fawning over their cuisine. I have been visibly irritated while having to defend our cheese producing credentials, which I would argue are at least as good if not better than anywhere else in the world.

I think our problem is that we make everything that isn’t the lowest quality mild cheddar garbage unbelievably expensive. So most people just buy brand name cheddar.

And we focus on putting everything in packets when it’d be better & probably cheaper and more eco friendly (packaging anyway) behind a cheese counter.

I have no idea how there aren’t any British “regional protected” cheeses like there are for many foods in other European countries, which also leads to American Cheddar representing us abroad.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
As much as I love that the UK does have a pretty good selection of cheese, it distresses me how many of my coworkers' idea of a good and varied cheese platter is cheddar, cheddar with onions, cheddar with apricots, red Leicester, and Wensleydale with cranberries. Maybe a *~*blue cheese*~* if they feel like going absolutely crazy.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I'll just have the cheddar :laugh:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I'll smash a baked camembert anytime

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
It's not even 10am and I want fondue, thanks cheese thread.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

wooger posted:

I think our problem is that we make everything that isn’t the lowest quality mild cheddar garbage unbelievably expensive. So most people just buy brand name cheddar.

And we focus on putting everything in packets when it’d be better & probably cheaper and more eco friendly (packaging anyway) behind a cheese counter.

I have no idea how there aren’t any British “regional protected” cheeses like there are for many foods in other European countries, which also leads to American Cheddar representing us abroad.

So I actually looked this up and apparently the phrase, "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar" is regional protected, but you can call any other poo poo cheese cheddar and it doesn't matter. It breaks my heart when americans call that orange crap cheddar, they don't even know it's named after a place smh

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Whenever my bro-in-law comes to visit from japan he goes mad at waitrose buying the most ridiculous cheeses he can get his hands on

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

kecske posted:

I'll smash a baked camembert anytime

scalded schlong

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
boiled bellend

Lemon
May 22, 2003

heated helmet

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Butterfly Valley posted:

Cheese is one of the few subjects I have to be careful with around my students because the French ones particularly see British Cheese as a very funny two word joke, mainly because the only British cheeses generally available here are dogshit bright orange American style cheddars and also the French absolutely huff their own farts due to decades of the rest of the world fawning over their cuisine. I have been visibly irritated while having to defend our cheese producing credentials, which I would argue are at least as good if not better than anywhere else in the world.

There's many things wrong with the UK but the fact you can go into any medium sized supermarket and get a respectable selection of British and also European cheeses is a very good thing. Funny how we can be so racist yet also extremely receptive to adopting foreign tastes and flavours

I lived in France for two years and one thing that came up time and time and time again was how the French were overly proud of their own food yet similarly ignorant of everything beyond their own borders.

I remember some conversations such as these:

:france: You're eating cheese!!! :aaa:
:britain: Yes?
:france: :aaaa:
:britain: We have cheese too.
:france: Yeah but not good cheese like we do :smuggo:

-----

:france: They're making a Roquefort sauce in the kitchen..........do you know what Roquefort is?

-----

From a couple I was carsharing with who were coming back from a week in Barcelona

:france: Yeah, it was great, we really didn't expect to find any good food outside of France

I think I ended up leaving with less tolerance than when I arrived.

wooger posted:

I
have no idea how there aren’t any British “regional protected” cheeses like there are for many foods in other European countries, which also leads to American Cheddar representing us abroad.

Oh there are. Stilton can only be made in Leicestershire, Derbyshire or Nottinghamshire.

Stilton is amazing.

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 30, 2020

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Foreign language students who lodged with my parents often admitted part way through their stay that they'd been extremely worried that they'd have to eat really poo poo food in England. Part of that was hearing stories from other students though, who'd been put in houses where taking in the students was a real money making exercise and they just gave them the cheapest food they could find.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I really appreciate how readily available and varied the curry sauces are. A chicken breast fillet, a jar of tikka or korma, maybe some extra chili powder and boom dinner&leftovers.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

wooger posted:

I mean, we Brexited, not like it would do us any good any more. Though I believe Stilton is/was PDO.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Butterfly Valley posted:

Funny how we can be so racist yet also extremely receptive to adopting foreign tastes and flavours

A nation that's basically the "we've got the recipe" line from Not The Nine O'Clock News:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB0ZOu_EZ2M

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
You all just inspired me to make a classier than usual bacon sandwich with wild rocket, red onion chutney, and since you all can't stop talking bout it, some stilton

Booooois it was flavourtown

I for one am happy to remain a porpoise.

Why does this website porpoise-shame people?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I just fried me a Gouda, ham and mustard sandwich and it was pretty great. Too much cooking oil though.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The council is making another round of checking if your vulnerable status has changed and regardless of your situation, the food boxes will stop on 31st of July. RIP free green apples and canned meatballs.

Those boxes really helped financially and reduced the amount we needed to go shopping or order online, which is pretty good jerb.

Edit: Looks like galleries like Tate, Whitechapel and National Gallery are opening in mid July, too. It would be an interesting experience to visit those places without like tens of thousand tourists but I'll think I'll give it a pass for another month and see how things shape up.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 30, 2020

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i like lactose free cheese :unsmith:

Being a person who doesn't enjoy making GBS threads themselves when investing dairy, I couldn't agree more. I was very excited a few weeks ago (I mean really loving excited) to see cathedral cheddar now comes lactose free!

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Galewolf posted:

The council is making another round of checking if your vulnerable status has changed and regardless of your situation, the food boxes will stop on 31st of July. RIP free green apples and canned meatballs.

Those boxes really helped financially and reduced the amount we needed to go shopping or order online, which is pretty good jerb.

Edit: Looks like galleries like Tate, Whitechapel and National Gallery are opening in mid July, too. It would be an interesting experience to visit those places without like tens of thousand tourists but I'll think I'll give it a pass for another month and see how things shape up.

judging by how expensive all the train tickets have become to London after 4th July then you're probably still gonna be hit by lots of domestic tourists ughhhhh

I wanted to visit London but not to actually see London god damnn

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Yeah, domestic tourists would be there but still, I imagine it would be much relaxed than dozens of 50-people groups following a guide holding an umbrella.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Being a person who doesn't enjoy making GBS threads themselves when investing dairy, I couldn't agree more. I was very excited a few weeks ago (I mean really loving excited) to see cathedral cheddar now comes lactose free!
i wish it was easier to get though, i have to go all the way to big sainsburys in town because none of the small coops or sainsburys local have it

they have started stocking semi skimmed lacto free milk though :toot:

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I realised a while ago that the reason we don't get on with the French much is because we are so loving similar. Mix a french and a polish person together and you get a brit.

There are good cheeses in France, but there are also good cheeses in Holland, Italy, Switzerland etc which are all pretty similar. Not many countries can match Stilton. I know Denmark tries, but it's far too creamy for what a blue cheese should be, unless it's that one that smells like a cross between cat vomit and untreated sewage (which I actually struggled to get in my mouth, if any resident Danes want to remind me what that was?)

Cropwell Bishop produces like 6 different Stilton varieties alone and their Blue Shropshire I swear has a hint of chocolate or something, it's great. Also Tuxford and Tebbutt do a really nice Stilton that they sell in Asda. That's what I normally get.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Dravs posted:

Mix a french and a polish person together and you get a brit.

oh dear god you're right

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Dravs posted:

unless it's that one that smells like a cross between cat vomit and untreated sewage

This is all cheese, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I'm vegan

Coconut oil cheese is....adequate if you are super keen to be a vegan. At this point i actually miss eggs more, because there is no attempted facsimile available and no substitute for a proper runny yolk