Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Is there a big taste difference between a bottomless and a pressurized portafilter?

I roast at home and I’m using a NS Oscar I if that changes anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Munkaboo posted:

Have you tried buying the extension tubes from the dude on Etsy?

It wasn't worth it to me because I didn't find the fans powerful enough to really take advantage. Others might disagree. They're totally fine for small batches, I just wanted more because i'm a coffee slut

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

ThirstyBuck posted:

Is there a big taste difference between a bottomless and a pressurized portafilter?

Very big. Especially with fresh roast and ground coffee.

Note not all non-pressurized portafilters are bottomless. Bottomless ones do look cool and can help gauge your tamp/grind tho.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

ThirstyBuck posted:

Pressurised portafilters are designed to be used with coffee grounds that haven’t been properly ground for espresso. Store bought pre-ground coffee is an example of that. You can also use one to try and correct any errors in grind size when you’re not using a good quality espresso-calibrated grinder.

A bottomless portafilter is a diagnostic tool which some people use to try and work out if they’re forming and tamping their pucks properly. It lets you observe the coffee flow directly, and will give you a clearer picture of the water flowing out of the bottom of the puck.

Jumping from one to the other will almost certainly make a big difference in taste, but it might not be a pleasant one.

Unless you have a solid espresso grinder, I’d stay away from the bottomless portafilter. If you want to try a non-pressurised portafilter, just get a normal unpressurised portafilter with spouts, and see how that is. The bottomless one is more of an advanced tool, and there shouldn’t be any taste difference between any two unpressurised portafilters, whether they’re bottomless or spouted. (Different basket sizes and shapes could change things, but for now let’s leave that to one side)

Edit: beaten

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

this morning my partner told me my coffee smelled like baked beans and hotdogs but in a good way

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

mediaphage posted:

It wasn't worth it to me because I didn't find the fans powerful enough to really take advantage. Others might disagree. They're totally fine for small batches, I just wanted more because i'm a coffee slut

Ah do you have the 500? I read that the extension tubes help increase the airflow due to a narrowed tube.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sir Lemming posted:

If you're looking for good coffee on the cheap, try ALDI if you have one nearby. Specifically this stuff:

It's about $5 a bag and I'm sort of embarrassed to admit I often can't tell the difference between this and small batch, fresh, local roasts that are at least twice as expensive. Only medium roast though.

Due to my position as basically living in two countries, I'm in reach of three different ALDI corporate chains, their LIDL rivals, and all the local discounters here and over the border. I have a fighting chance of eventually finding Europe's best bang-for-bucks beans. Right now I'm not travelling much though and still content drinking myself through the coffee aisle of the supermarket that's 10 minutes walking.

Kalsco posted:

I personally keep a punishment bag. It is an assortment of leftovers from bags that has a few grams left from a nebulous point in time. It's generally pretty bad, but more importantly, is there. I use it mostly as a constant reminder to keep on top of getting the good stuff.

Yeah I also have a satan bag like that. It keeps getting heavier, too, and eventually I'll need to face it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

For the Nespresso normal recommendation, would there be any reason not to do their deal where you get a machine for a dollar and then sign up for a year of credits to buy pods from their store? It’s like $200 for a machine otherwise and you still buy pods. Seems like $1 machine and $35-45/month to buy pods would actually be... reasonable?

I think I ruined a friend (I have a rocket and took barista training to learn how to use it), and now he says he wants a “real” machine to replace his Keurig K-cup machine. Knowing him, a nespresso is at the edge of his skill and patience level. Also his wife would rather keep things simple and good enough.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think it's too much commitment for mediocre espresso. It's better than Starbucks but that's not saying much IMO. The least I would do is see if they can taste a Nespresso to see if they even like it, though it's tough to find stores right now. I know Sur La Table had demo units on display and will make you one but you know... covid and all that.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Has anyone tried those reusable Nespresso pods with grinding your own beans?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Man, putting a pod in, pulling a lever, and pressing a button is the edge of someone’s skill? That’s a pretty severe burn.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

sellouts posted:

Man, putting a pod in, pulling a lever, and pressing a button is the edge of someone’s skill? That’s a pretty severe burn.

You have not met my friend.

We say here Nespresso is the right answer for the normal coffee appreciating people, and I think it is the right answer for him (his wife would probably use it too), and I was looking for the catch in the Nespresso “deal” which probably amounts to reducing the value of the credits and getting to claim recurring revenue on their books.

I can’t see a super automatic machine being the answer to someone who instead of descaling a keurig just replaces it every year or two.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

mediaphage posted:

The point of the tubes is that it makes them more narrow thus making the fan more effective though. Maybe look into it?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

The point of the tubes is that it makes them more narrow thus making the fan more effective though. Maybe look into it?

I'm still not going to want to do big batches unless i also want to stir in the beginning. I'd still consider them for trying out small samples, I guess. With used behmors going for reasonable prices I don't see their real value propsition (fan basis aside).

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

You have not met my friend.

We say here Nespresso is the right answer for the normal coffee appreciating people, and I think it is the right answer for him (his wife would probably use it too), and I was looking for the catch in the Nespresso “deal” which probably amounts to reducing the value of the credits and getting to claim recurring revenue on their books.

I can’t see a super automatic machine being the answer to someone who instead of descaling a keurig just replaces it every year or two.
If going Nespresso, finding one of the original line machines (the Pixie is small and cheap) will give you access to a much wider variety of cheaper pods; the current machines/pods are DRM locked so you're limited to what Nespresso wants to sell you and at what price. Also Nestlé is evil as gently caress so the less money everyone gives them, the better.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Keep in mind the older machines like Pixie aren't compatible with their Vertuoline pods which are intended for Americans that like bigger coffee drinks. So your friend would only be able to drink espresso and not cups of coffee like a Keurig.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

mediaphage posted:

I'm still not going to want to do big batches unless i also want to stir in the beginning. I'd still consider them for trying out small samples, I guess. With used behmors going for reasonable prices I don't see their real value propsition (fan basis aside).

Curious - Have you watched videos of the extension tubes? You get some crazy bean action vs the stock tubes.

https://youtu.be/AHW1wGaNCQU

I don't need more than 120g-160g a week so it works great for me.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 3, 2020

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I'm sorry can you explain this further. You had 60 pods so that's 60 servings..how did this last you a year?

The actual Nespresso stuff lasted maybe five, six months since I wasn't making a shot every day. I moved mid-year and started drinking a double or tripleshot every day, so I bought bulk packs of foil caps to reseal the pods with Lavazza or Illy brand ground espresso depending on what I could find in an area that doesn't really stock much. It's one of the DRM model machines that requires barcodes, so offbrand pods are out. Looking for recommendations on any tins of ground espresso that are at or less than the $15/tin price point I've got here in town. Hope that clears things up.

In a world where health issues/pandemic expenses didn't exist, I'd be looking at manual grinders and whole beans since I'm a sucker for morning rituals, but the pods and ground coffee are where my budget and average level of willpower are at for now. If only a mortar and pestle produced espresso grains instead of dust lol, I'd be set.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 3, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

zgrowler2 posted:

The actual Nespresso stuff lasted maybe five, six months since I wasn't making a shot every day. I moved mid-year and started drinking a double or tripleshot every day, so I bought bulk packs of foil caps to reseal the pods with Lavazza or Illy brand ground espresso depending on what I could find in an area that doesn't really stock much. It's one of the DRM model machines that requires barcodes, so offbrand pods are out. Looking for recommendations on any tins of ground espresso that are at or less than the $15/tin price point I've got here in town. Hope that clears things up.

In a world where health issues/pandemic expenses didn't exist, I'd be looking at manual grinders and whole beans since I'm a sucker for morning rituals, but the pods and ground coffee are where my budget and average level of willpower are at for now. If only a mortar and pestle produced espresso grains instead of dust lol, I'd be set.

I think that’s fair but you should also look at getting a pour over setup. They’re cheap as heck to get started and seem perfect for someone into morning rituals. Can just add it to your current collection and use it periodically, then move to grinding later on when the budget suits. There are *reasonable* cheap grinders, though, even people in his thread have a few.

I would really look to local roasters and see if someone near you is offering delivery or pickup at a reasonable price.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Hey guys I'm chasing a new hand grinder for espresso. I'm getting a new manual espresso machine (ROK) and I'm thinking my year old abused hario skerton isn't going to cut it for espresso

Would anyone have any suggestions

I would like it to be

manual
Stepless
Appropriate for espresso
No more than $250

I am leaning towards the ROK grinder for that full set bonus but its right on that 250 dollar boundary and quite large

I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing before I pull the trigger

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Jestery posted:

Hey guys I'm chasing a new hand grinder for espresso. I'm getting a new manual espresso machine (ROK) and I'm thinking my year old abused hario skerton isn't going to cut it for espresso

I would like it to be

manual
Stepless
Appropriate for espresso
No more than $250

I am leaning towards the ROK grinder for that full set bonus but its right on that 250 dollar boundary and quite large

My ROK grinder is on the way if you want me to try things out for you. Can't make espresso since I have no machine for that, but if you want specific things I can show them

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Lord Stimperor posted:

My ROK grinder is on the way if you want me to try things out for you. Can't make espresso since I have no machine for that, but if you want specific things I can show them

Ohh that would be fantastic, mostly I would like to see the footprint and exactly how the adjustment mechanism works

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Jestery posted:

Ohh that would be fantastic, mostly I would like to see the footprint and exactly how the adjustment mechanism works

Sure thing. It should arrive on Tuesday according to the carrier. I'll probably nerd out a bit about it in the evening. I can make some pictures of different grinds, dimensions, etc.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Champion, mostly I want something manual that can swap between french press and espresso with relative ease. So when you are doing a "new toy fiddle" could you take a mental note how easy you would say it is to go from an approximate espresso to an approximate french press.

The missus likes a French press once or twice a week but I wanna make a daily espresso or three.

I am aware that this may not exist but that's kind of my problem in looking for a solution.

The skerton is a good enough grinder for the morning French press but adjusting regularly is a pain.

Edit: serious thanks dude

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I've been using an Aeropress for a while now when making coffee in the office. It's a really good combination of good coffee + simple cleanup for an office situation.

Now I've been working at home for a while with my partner, I'm interested to try a pourover-type method. Primarily just to try a new technique, but also because it seems like a better solution for making 2 cups in the morning.

I already have a grinder and scales so it should be a cheap investment, but do I need a fancy pourover kettle? Or can I just get away with using a normal electric kettle?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

but do I need a fancy pourover kettle? Or can I just get away with using a normal electric kettle?

boiling water's boiling water

that is, a normal kettle will work totally fine. if you end up making a lot of pourovers, a gooseneck (and they make cheap stovetop ones, should it come down to it) kettle can give you a little more control and less mess, but it's really just about making the process easier / less work for you than it is about improving the cup, imo.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Thanks - yeah, the question was more "do I need a gooseneck for pourover technique"

It seems from a bit of reading that the v60 can be a bit finnicky technique-wise, but can be outstanding when you nail it. Kalita Wave sounds like it could be a bit more forgiving? And the Chemex is just a great-looking thing but has some quirks. Does that about summarise the main options?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, what mediaphage said. It makes brewing a consistently nice cup a lot easier since you can be much more precise with it. I bought one because I make all my coffee with a pour-over, so it makes sense for me, but if you're not sure about it, just use a normal kettle until you are sure you want to keep making them that way.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

This video guide that James Hoffmann made for the V60 is really, really great. I use that exact technique every single day. It also goes into each piece of equipment and adjustments you may want to make for using normal kettles like yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI4ynXzkSQo

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I've based my coffee making off of Mr Hoffman's techniques as a really good jumping off point.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I've based my coffee making off of Mr Hoffman's techniques as a really good jumping off point.

I feel that guy is educating an entire generation

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Lord Stimperor posted:

They're incredibly relaxing watches as well, informative and self deprecating which is nice when it comes to explaining things, especially given his background it would be incredibly easy for him to be condescending towards those trying to better their coffee experience.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
British people talking about hobbies in a calm voice is always wonderful. See also Sorastro for miniatures painting as well.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

I also like Whole Latte Love, the guy has powerful uncle energy with solid reviews and technique demonstrations.

https://youtu.be/rHG1EWbrk9Q

red19fire fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 4, 2020

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I really dig his french press technique. I only do that technique when using my french press. But lately it's been all aeropress for me. It's less forgiving in technique but I much prefer it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone have the pro-tip on fixing Mazzer doserless clumping?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jestery posted:

I would like it to be

manual
Stepless
Appropriate for espresso
No more than $250

Helor 101

Get it with the burr you need and you are under the price for sure

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

evilolive posted:

I really dig his french press technique. I only do that technique when using my french press. But lately it's been all aeropress for me. It's less forgiving in technique but I much prefer it.

Not even kidding his french press video is what got me.u to coffee and improved my general cooking ability

Tareing the scale.with the press on it was mind blowing

Hauki
May 11, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone have the pro-tip on fixing Mazzer doserless clumping?

the low tech fix back in the day was to stir the grounds with a paperclip, needle or bit of wire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Someone linked that James Hoffman v60 video a couple of pages back and now I am a devoted JH fan. The guy seems great! Been meaning to pick up his book too.

I recently got into Kalita Wave and I think you’re right that that is a bit more forgiving than the v60. But I can’t compare directly as I’m a noob and have never used a v60. However, both methods are pretty cheap so you could do both pretty easily.

I’ve been on the fence about picking up the Helor grinder after watching the JH roundup on them. It seems like the best value of the lot. However, it would be used with a Clever, am I going to taste a noticeable difference from my lovely Porlex?

I may just get it as the Porlex sucks so bad, why the gently caress didn’t they make the handle lock on???