Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Be aware of potential side effects of any OTC allergy medicine.

At that age we gave ours Zyrtec and on the 5th day of normal doses, daycare told us he was hitting everyone and incredibly out of character. Stopped giving it to him, switched to Claritin a month later and saw the same thing.

Googling, I found reports of other parents who had experienced similar problems. Consulted with the pediatrician who confirned it was a possibility that they'd heard of.

We will still give him half doses and limit to no more than three days in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

When can kids start showing signs of allergies? The only thing I remember my doctor saying when he was like 3-6 months old was something about how seasonal allergies and/or food allergies don’t show up until kids are 2-3. Did I misheard something?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My 3 y/o spent a long time on the potty this morning. She then called, full of pride, "Dad! Look at my giant poop!". The poop was indeed extraordinarily huge. My completely honest reaction was, "Wow! That is a huge poop!". If I had pooped a turd of the same relative size it would have been the size of a soccer ball. It was incredible.

That is my parenting story for today

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010

nwin posted:

When can kids start showing signs of allergies? The only thing I remember my doctor saying when he was like 3-6 months old was something about how seasonal allergies and/or food allergies don’t show up until kids are 2-3. Did I misheard something?

We discovered our 1 y/o had an egg allergy when he broke out in a rash when we fed him some scrambled egg. Also, he surprisingly had a mustard allergy when I fed him some of my Dijon mustard chicken. Both were confirmed when we got him to an allergist with a skin test.

A year later and he still has them at 2. Hopefully he outgrows them at some point.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Raimondo posted:

We discovered our 1 y/o had an egg allergy when he broke out in a rash when we fed him some scrambled egg. Also, he surprisingly had a mustard allergy when I fed him some of my Dijon mustard chicken. Both were confirmed when we got him to an allergist with a skin test.

A year later and he still has them at 2. Hopefully he outgrows them at some point.

It can happen!

We had a milk allergy before 1, then also discovered an egg allergy at 1 as well as a loving peanut allergy. All confirmed by an allergist. Every six months we went back and did tests. 2 years later, around age 3 they did some blood tests. The allergy levels started to go down. Waited another 6 months and did an in-office medically supervised oral test (actually eating the foods.)

Luckily she outgrew all three! She loves milk but won't eat eggs or peanuts still at age 6. But about once a month we force her to eat some to keep her body used to it.

So glad to not have to buy loving epi pens anymore.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

me your dad posted:

She says she is too immersed in something to take a break to pee, so we made it so that the thing is no longer a distraction. I always stress to her that I love her and I want to help her and that I will always stop whatever I am doing to help her get to the potty and make her feel safe. We are very encouraging in getting her to correct this behavior.

You're taking away the stuff she enjoys when she pees herself, which is a punishment regardless of how you're intending it. That's probably why she's lying to you, because she doesn't want to get into trouble and lose more stuff. You're even hinging her getting the stuff she enjoys back on her staying dry, when it's doubtful she has full control over it.

Just my opinion, but trying to punish your kid into having proper bladder control is going to backfire because it's a bodily function with strong ties to anxiety, emotional state, and feeling safe. The more she feels like it's bad and going to get her into trouble the harder it'll be for her to control.

Perhaps instead of taking away her bike, computer games etc. you could enforce regular breaks where she has to go and sit on the potty for a few minutes regardless of whether she feels like she needs to?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You can get a cheap kids watch and set an alarm to go off once an hour or so and make her take a potty break.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Geisladisk posted:

My 3 y/o spent a long time on the potty this morning. She then called, full of pride, "Dad! Look at my giant poop!". The poop was indeed extraordinarily huge. My completely honest reaction was, "Wow! That is a huge poop!". If I had pooped a turd of the same relative size it would have been the size of a soccer ball. It was incredible.

That is my parenting story for today

Me personally I have never clogged a toilet but my 3 year old used to do it all the time, I could never figure it out. We had to keep a pack of disposable take out chopsticks handy to break up the poops before they would jam up the works. Otherwise it was a goddamn disaster.

Parenting is glamorous af!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

priznat posted:

Me personally I have never clogged a toilet but my 3 year old used to do it all the time, I could never figure it out. We had to keep a pack of disposable take out chopsticks handy to break up the poops before they would jam up the works. Otherwise it was a goddamn disaster.

Parenting is glamorous af!
I sense a family poop knife in your future!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What is it with toddler shorts and loving fake drawstrings? My son's little for 21 months so most of his 18-month clothes are still too big, and half of his shorts can't be cinched at all.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

hooah posted:

What is it with toddler shorts and loving fake drawstrings? My son's little for 21 months so most of his 18-month clothes are still too big, and half of his shorts can't be cinched at all.

Just went through that struggle today. My 20 month old can't wear 18 month old shorts. Got a super cute top and bottom for her this weekend, went to put it on her today and the shorts had nothing to hold on to. Drawstring was fake.

The ol bait and switch.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Literally my experience this morning. Went to put some loose 2T shorts on my 20 month old thinking I could cinch them enough to keep them from sliding down and causing a fall. Oops, that drawstring is fake, let's go back upstairs and swap them out.

The joys of parenting.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
In January I bought a whole bunch of cheap elasticated shorts to use as easy swap outs while potty training. They were all gigantic on her. I put new elastic in all of them. That meant I had to YouTube how to do that but at least I learnt a new skill.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Haha, well then I totally had a new parent moment the other day when I opened a new pair of shorts and their tag exclaimed "With working drawstring!"

And I thought "that's a weird selling point."

But yet the pockets in boys clothes are almost always real while as a grown woman most of my pockets are fake. :argh:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

a friendly penguin posted:

Haha, well then I totally had a new parent moment the other day when I opened a new pair of shorts and their tag exclaimed "With working drawstring!"

But yet the pockets in boys clothes are almost always real while as a grown woman most of my pockets are fake. :argh:

My kids gotta put his rocks somewhere....ugh

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I'm so confused, all the drawstrings on my kid's pants work I think. Now I feel like I need to check them to see if we are affected by this conspiracy.

To be fair they are often undone anyway because he's huge + in cloth nappies so they tend to stay up regardless, and if I do them up he undoes them a minute later.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

nwin posted:

My kids gotta put his rocks somewhere....ugh

Don't rockshame

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

a friendly penguin posted:

It should be perfectly legal to pay for clothes with fake drawstrings and other features (like women's pants with fake pockets) with fake money.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 1, 2020

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My 4yo keeps questioning her behavior a year ago. Like, "remember that festival a year ago with the tall slide, and I didn't want to go down because there was a spider at the top? Why didn't I just brush it off?" I dunno kid, 3yos are dumb!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
How big is your kids rock collection? Lilly's is about 18 rocks so far. She's 19 months.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

VanSandman posted:

How big is your kids rock collection? Lilly's is about 18 rocks so far. She's 19 months.

As far as my son is concerned, all rocks are his rocks.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Pretty sure the fake drawstring is just for liability so the kid doesn't get it off and find a way to choke themselves or tourniquet a finger or something.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
The drawstring thing is still a problem with older kids, too. We ordered a bunch of shorts for our 6 and 8 year old and they're all loving fake. My 8yo is really narrow and the poor kid just habitually holds his pants/shorts up when he runs around.

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

VanSandman posted:

Tiny human #1 has a rock box! Also, all of his rocks are space rocks.

(I like tiny human #1.)

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
:argh: I'm nearly at my limit with potty training. He'll go #1 if you prod him enough. #2 is right out. He does go for daycare since they send him home with candy so we know he does it. Last night, less than 5 minutes after asking, he pooped in the tub. :sigh: I just don't know why he's so stubborn on this. We've tried bribes, goals, stickers, explaining he has to learn before he can go to Pre-K, nothing works.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Pro tip for people struggling with naps and sleeping: check your windows. When the baby advice blog says to get total blackout curtains, they really mean it.

We already had some pull-down blinds and heavy curtains that did a pretty good job, or so we thought. But this week we taped strips of cardboard to the edges of the windowpane to take care of any light that might be sneaking in through the edges. And it works. She's getting nearly a full extra sleep cycle with every nap and nighttime. She might even make it until 7am this morning.

Block out your windows. Be grateful that you did.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Speaking of sleep, my 2.5 year old has stopped napping, but this also means he sleeps more at night and has started waking up too late for me to use him as an alarm clock!

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
A couple of months ago my now 2yo was starting to act out a bit, so I joked that he's hitting the terrible 2's early. gently caress me, I had no idea what it really meant. Literally 3 days before his 2nd birthday, it's like a switch flipped and he's gone full-on Satan. Bed time has gone from token resistance to a straight up brawl. Good thing I used to box, because I've had to take a haymaker or two while trying to hold him down for a loving diaper change. Goddamn. Please tell me this particular violent phase ends soon. I can deal with the tantrums, I'm actually pretty good at distracting or talking him down. But that combined with the swinging is a whole different game.

Though apparently he's a perfect little angel at daycare, so they all think I'm insane.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

wizzardstaff posted:

Pro tip for people struggling with naps and sleeping: check your windows. When the baby advice blog says to get total blackout curtains, they really mean it.

We already had some pull-down blinds and heavy curtains that did a pretty good job, or so we thought. But this week we taped strips of cardboard to the edges of the windowpane to take care of any light that might be sneaking in through the edges. And it works. She's getting nearly a full extra sleep cycle with every nap and nighttime. She might even make it until 7am this morning.

Block out your windows. Be grateful that you did.

Does this mean we shouldn't be using a nightlight

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

2DEG posted:

A couple of months ago my now 2yo was starting to act out a bit, so I joked that he's hitting the terrible 2's early. gently caress me, I had no idea what it really meant. Literally 3 days before his 2nd birthday, it's like a switch flipped and he's gone full-on Satan. Bed time has gone from token resistance to a straight up brawl. Good thing I used to box, because I've had to take a haymaker or two while trying to hold him down for a loving diaper change. Goddamn. Please tell me this particular violent phase ends soon. I can deal with the tantrums, I'm actually pretty good at distracting or talking him down. But that combined with the swinging is a whole different game.

Though apparently he's a perfect little angel at daycare, so they all think I'm insane.

At 6 it's only gotten worse for us so... good luck

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

boquiabierta posted:

Does this mean we shouldn't be using a nightlight

nightlight and sunlight are totally different, if it's not too bright it should be fine

but if even a sliver of sunlight gets into my sons room, all bets are off

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

BonoMan posted:

Pretty sure the fake drawstring is just for liability so the kid doesn't get it off and find a way to choke themselves or tourniquet a finger or something.

Some of you might find this podcast episode interesting.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Fool posted:

nightlight and sunlight are totally different, if it's not too bright it should be fine

but if even a sliver of sunlight gets into my sons room, all bets are off

My daughter complained a lot about the night light and kept turning the light in her room, all I ended up putting a 20W pink bulb in her lamp as a compromise. Seems to be working, hopefully I'm not giving her brain damage.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bollock Monkey posted:

Some of you might find this podcast episode interesting.

I love 99PI! Been meaning to check out those eps (i've been waiting til I can hit them all in order).

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

Irritated Goat posted:

:argh: I'm nearly at my limit with potty training. He'll go #1 if you prod him enough. #2 is right out. He does go for daycare since they send him home with candy so we know he does it. Last night, less than 5 minutes after asking, he pooped in the tub. :sigh: I just don't know why he's so stubborn on this. We've tried bribes, goals, stickers, explaining he has to learn before he can go to Pre-K, nothing works.

Tiny human #1 fought us on pooping for three months. The inflection points for us in potty training were when we got him mid-poop and could stick him on the potty to do it. Getting a positive demonstration plus the raucous cheering and effusive praise afterwards piqued his interest in pooping on his own in a way that no amount of other reinforcement could replicate.

That said, during those three months my wife and I frequently comforted ourselves with 'well, no 30 year old still has trouble with this, he'll figure it out eventually'.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just discovered the 5 year old has been getting up and taking off her peed overnight pullups and hiding them in the closet and putting on a fresh pair. I had no idea she was that devious, I’m kind of impressed tbh.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Wish us luck.

This weekend we attempt to liberate ourselves from the tyranny of our 5 month old’s newborn sleep schedule with formal sleep training.

Our 2.5 yo champion sleeper is spending the weekend at the grandparents while we get this going.

Dear god please let it take and go well. My wife has no more fatigue to give.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ThirstyBuck posted:

Dear god please let it take and go well. My wife has no more fatigue to give.

It will, it just might take a couple weeks. There will be bad nights but you'll get there with consistency and patience.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Three hours of m-80's going off every minute and the boy is still asleep :911::hf::tootzzz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Baby is sleeping peacefully in her crib in a white noise filled room and animals are hiding with me in our bed with a couple different white noise sources going on. I never liked fireworks but am officially now an old crank about them. Professional shows are fine but man.