Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

maybe if fyad hadnt done the same thing to lf id have more sympathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

maybe if fyad hadnt done the same thing to lf id have more sympathy

but they posted about Politics, which is fail and cringe :(

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
thankfully something awful no longer has a really dumb administration that would do things like that

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

One user had an SS symbol in their signature with the line "death to f-slurs, send them to hell"

They weren't even permabanned, just regular banned and they bought their account back. This was in January.

Not all of them were Actual Nazis but people sometimes coloquially use "Nazi" to mean "a level beyond even your standard bigot" they don't have to be wearing a uniform and marching in 1940s Germany to be a Nazi and FYAD was cool with their presence. What's the saying? A few bad apples spoils the bunch?

yeah, I'd say CSPAM works because while it's organized chaos, there's enough of a common set of ideals and morals that bad behavior does get scolded or shouted down by fellow posters, and mod punishments do exist (even if enforcement seesaws wildly between lawlessness and getting permabanned over a thermite joke from months ago). if your community can't effectively deal with lovely toxic posters (either by self-regulation or mod-regulation) the bigots will control the narrative to a disproportionate degree, and turn it into an unsafe space for others.

the new behind the bastards miniseries on the history of american policing had a fun twist on that: piss apples. like, american policing is having a big apple orchard that just keeps producing bad apples filled with piss, and we keep collectively going "well, only some of the apples are filled with piss..."

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos

smarxist posted:

lmfao, you should see the tl;dr of what gets passed around about why i departed a certain offsite

it's just a list of 80% vindictive lies and 20% exaggerated bullshit, and it causes me to get harassed here on the reg by randos

Lol

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I hesitate to comment on this topic because I can already hear the wolves circling but I will point out that, while this and the preceding posts about FYAD are all true, it IS unfair that they got tarnished as Nazis, rather than merely a bunch of dicks who didn’t care what people thought of them.

and that’s all I’d like to say about that*

*this movie is older than me

Yeah sure ok but maybe people shouldn't be super shocked they got confused for being a nazi because they were standing next to one friend who was in his nazi costume for a laugh and another friend who was in his nazi costume because he is in fact a nazi.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Giga Gaia posted:

thankfully something awful no longer has a really dumb administration that would do things like that

The bombing of CSPAM begins in 20 minutes

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah sure ok but maybe people shouldn't be super shocked they got confused for being a nazi because they were standing next to one friend who was in his nazi costume for a laugh and another friend who was in his nazi costume because he is in fact a nazi.

all the responses to that are fair and I’m posting to acknowledge them, but I don’t have anything else significant to add at the moment

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

barnacle jim (his face long his bike sucked and hosed) getting called out and everyone having to be like 'ah hah well you know... jim!' was really funny though no matter how else you may feel about this incredibly tedious issue

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

Zil posted:

The bombing of CSPAM begins in 20 minutes

i have been informed that there will no bombing today

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

mods please apply the fyad stylesheet to this thread

make it sting

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bearjew posted:

can I get the bomber this time? :(

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Bearjew posted:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Gumball Gumption posted:

lol at blaming nazi poo poo in the set up to fail fyad on the regulars instead of lowtax and ppj. Come on here

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bearjew posted:

you will never defeat the people’s soviet of CSPAM by bombing it into submission

NO JUSTICE NO PEACE

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos

an actual dog posted:

lol at blaming nazi poo poo in the set up to fail fyad on the regulars instead of lowtax and ppj. Come on here

Definitely saw people treating AGP, a thing about as reality based as racial science, as real in there

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

it's funny when someone posts a nuanced defense of the fyad poo poo but then turns around in the same post and says everyone in cspam is a child doxxing lunatic with plans to shoot up capitol hill or w/e

e: not this thread but elsewhere on the forum

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Flunky posted:

it's funny when someone posts a nuanced defense of the fyad poo poo but then turns around in the same post and says everyone in cspam is a child doxxing lunatic with plans to shoot up capitol hill or w/e

agreed its weird when people are correct twice

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

:grin:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

all the responses to that are fair and I’m posting to acknowledge them, but I don’t have anything else significant to add at the moment

To be fair too, you're not wrong. I don't think they're all Nazis. I never thought that and really thought all of this was about how they handled being asked to cut some poo poo out. I do however think FYAD has some really hateful people who have used it as cover. I also think FYAD's response to those people being pointed out was that it was more important their hateful friends gets to stick around than the victims of their hateful friends.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QueenOfTheEvening posted:

Definitely saw people treating AGP, a thing about as reality based as racial science, as real in there

yeah, it’s just loving exhausting how every time that comes up some posters will dig in their heels and argue for pages and pages that “it’s just a theory!!” and “why are you trying to stop this discussion, if it’s so bad we should talk about it” and “some trans totally are just perverts you can’t say that it applies to nobody anywhere!!”

it’s gross, it’s horrible, and even when you finally convince 1 person to stop backing it... there’s always gonna be a next poster who brings it up and refuses to back down.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Flunky posted:

e: not this thread but elsewhere on the forum

both sides do this poo poo and it's loving exhausting to watch everyone be so disingenuous, like reading QCS when the "Forums grudgery is a team sport" people are having a real go at it gives me cramps

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I really don't think Skylark and JD truly believe in AGP and I think that's a thread that could have been dealt with without deleting a whole forum, making everyone blame it on the trans thread, and ruling up a bunch of sickos who don't even post in fyad.

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos

smarxist posted:

both sides do this poo poo and it's loving exhausting to watch everyone be so disingenuous, like reading QCS when the "Forums grudgery is a team sport" people are having a real go at it gives me cramps

Lol

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos

an actual dog posted:

I really don't think Skylark and JD truly believe in AGP and I think that's a thread that could have been dealt with without deleting a whole forum, making everyone blame it on the trans thread, and ruling up a bunch of sickos who don't even post in fyad.

I mean maybe but the response to people saying "this is hosed up" was a bunch of wagon circling and then the Barney poo poo started and it got really out of hand

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Fly Molo posted:

hahaha it's loving wild, especially given who's saying it, as if it's a secret guild where you have to apprentice under a senior poster for months and hug and kiss them until you're ready to fly on your own. i mean, it's definitely debatable whether there's a useful niche for a 'gently caress it no rules' posting space, but it was less of an Elite Posting School and more of a contained riot.

Yeah I dunno what the truth is about it, but if you need to get your OT Levels in Shecky Greene’s Online Sea Org before posting freely, then, gently caress that. Just do open mic standup and hang out with the other comedians. At least there’s a better chance of getting paid and/or hosed at some point.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I mean maybe but the response to people saying "this is hosed up" was a bunch of wagon circling and then the Barney poo poo started and it got really out of hand

I'll concede a little bit here but I'm also glad I never have to read a CB post again.

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos

an actual dog posted:

I'll concede a little bit here but I'm also glad I never have to read a CB post again.

Ah yes I'm happy you don't have to read a post from someone who was actually harassed off the forum.

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos
orbs

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ah yes I'm happy you don't have to read a post from someone who was actually harassed off the forum.

Every post I read form CB was trying to do the same thing, come on.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the qcs strats that took down fyad were extremely ownage imo, it was like the end result of a QCS manhattan project. fyad as a alt right terrorist pipeline :worship::worship::worship::worship:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fly Molo posted:

yeah, I just lurk 90% of the time and it still irks me to see random posters leaping in to attack you over "hehe hows teh offsite going?? :smuggo:".

it's a shame things didn't turn out differently. thank you for helping to start B&R, it's a very refreshing change of pace from SA's usual brand of insanity. you're a good poster, dude.
I'm kinda a "let 100 flowers bloom" guy. I think it's cool that people are just making traditional forums. People complaining about other forums seems like a very 2002-era thing to be concerned about, like you're either an "SA poster" or you're on Slashdot or whatever. I mean we might have people who post on the official Insane Clown Posse forums. I haven't been over to B&R so I dunno, none of my business to comment on it here anyways, but it's probably better than Reddit, y'know?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i just wish somebody had saved dumb lowtax's huge rear end post, those were fuckin lollll. drama owns, i love it folks

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

an actual dog posted:

"But you got to admit, the harassment gets results!"

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

smarxist posted:

for sure

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Homeless Friend posted:

the qcs strats that took down fyad were extremely ownage imo, it was like the end result of a QCS manhattan project. fyad as a alt right terrorist pipeline :worship::worship::worship::worship:

lowtax telling actual media they were all Literal Nazis was pretty loving funny

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos

an actual dog posted:

Every post I read form CB was trying to do the same thing, come on.

hosed up that she was upset about people circling the wagons in defense of posting basically race science I guess

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

i just wish somebody had saved dumb lowtax's huge rear end post, those were fuckin lollll. drama owns, i love it folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

actually fyad warned us about lowtax so bring it back. this will happen, its happening right now