Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It only takes one to be a runaway hit to spawn a thousand imitators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Beartaco posted:

The last page was a really fun read. I've played my fair share of mobile clickers in the past where the entire "gameplay" revolves around watching these scam advertisements over and over again and they're just fascinating. Is there a youtube channel or anything that actually looks at these ads and checks out the games behind them? I still don't have a clue what Gardenscapes is and I'm sure as hell not downloading it myself but I'm so curious.

It's a match-3 game, I'm sure you'll be amazed to hear. Each game earns you extra crap for your garden and opens up more bits of it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/i3Stars does reality-vs-ads vids - this is his Gardenscapes one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwSbO60HAss

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
At least you get to see the garden develop. That's something.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

silence_kit posted:

I don't know--it is not that shocking to me. I think it is the consequence of the unrealistic expectation that news websites be free to access. The newspaper is doing anything it can to survive.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Still, that's not a good defense if the end product can't attract enough people to make money from advertising. It'd be like if the 11 o'clock news had little picture in picture advertisements with their own audio right during a breaking news segment. Eventually, no one would want to tune in.
Also it's difficult to convince people to pay for them when any real news will be spread over social media instantly, and people are more than willing to copy/paste content if an article has something relevant to add. The latter could theoretically be taken down by the source papers, but in practice it's a losing battle.

I have no idea how professional journalism is going to survive long-term, but they need a better tactic than 'try to get people to pay to see news they can see for free on twitter or facebook'.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Haifisch posted:

Also it's difficult to convince people to pay for them when any real news will be spread over social media instantly, and people are more than willing to copy/paste content if an article has something relevant to add. The latter could theoretically be taken down by the source papers, but in practice it's a losing battle.

I have no idea how professional journalism is going to survive long-term, but they need a better tactic than 'try to get people to pay to see news they can see for free on twitter or facebook'.

'Nationalize it!' is kind of a mantra commonly used by politics posters here, but independence of press & state is a good thing, IMO. Maybe state-sponsored media wouldn't be that bad. I don't know.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 20:49 on Jun 23, 2020

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ideally a country has a healthy private sector media as well as a robust and independent state-sponsored media.

All this is moot however, because advertising revenue dropped off a cliff when Covid-19 hit. The major newspapers in my country have already fired roughly a third to one half of their employees. I expect some big names in international media will go insolvent or be sold off by the end of this year.

E: If there's any good news to be found in this, it's that the Daily Mail has been hit harder than most of its ilk.

Fruits of the sea has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Jun 23, 2020

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

My favorite misleading mobile game ad is for Love Nikki, which visually looks like an otome game/dating sim but is actually a dress up game with plenty of random pavilions and events to keep the money flowing in. Source: I’ve paid $5/month for a couple years because I genuinely enjoy digital paper dolls and all the little stories put into the outfit descriptions, I guess I’m the sucker! That said, I can’t wrap my head around people who spend $100 a pop on an in-game currency. I remember seeing that for the first time years ago and thinking that would never work out, who would sink *that much* money at once into a phone game?

Wasn’t it rumored years ago Shaq of all people was extremely into some mobile games and spent a lot on them?

Lmao I love that stupid game too. Not to the point of spending money, but they sure make it easy with like a hundred different microtransactions available each month. I wish I came up with it, they must be filthy rich now.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

BioEnchanted posted:

At least you get to see the garden develop. That's something.

And you get some customisation options, and occasional dribs of story. It's perfectly designed to make you cough up extra cash to play a few more rounds to get to the next new thing, with tweaks like runs of wins getting you bonuses, the ability to buy helpful items and whatnot.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's too engrained. For every lovely game or company that fail, five more pop up.

Like a hydra, but instead of heads it's anime titty elves telling you to play mobile games.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Manuel Calavera posted:

I don't believe you, that or it's filled with ads upon ads upon ads.

I played it. It's pretty decent. It's never really challenging but they add new elements every dozen or so levels, and it has different game modes based on other types of fake ads.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

pentyne posted:

This was 2 years ago

I'm getting the feeling that some people expect to read horrible things in one PYF thread but are sort of blindsided by them in another. For the purposes of this thread, please just link descriptions of sexual abuse with a content warning.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm getting the feeling that some people expect to read horrible things in one PYF thread but are sort of blindsided by them in another. For the purposes of this thread, please just link descriptions of sexual abuse with a content warning.

I've been trimming a bunch of the threads I had bookmarked because I need a break from the horrible poo poo and this was not a derail I expected to come up in this thread

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I love how local journalism has basically shot itself in the head by over-monetizing their websites to the point where they are 100% unusable

I hadn't been on snopes for a while, and when I went to check out an article on my phone the other day, it was basically unreadable. Just a minefield of ads you'd have to navigate around if you wanted to scroll up or down. I know they have to fund their site somehow, but it doesn't exactly scream reputable reporting, and it's just annoying.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Every newspaper should trade in the ad department for a match-3 paper-doll game development department

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Screw Radiation proof, I'd buy one because it looks like a fun gimmick gadget. Nostalgia alone would sell that.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

BioEnchanted posted:

Screw Radiation proof, I'd buy one because it looks like a fun gimmick gadget. Nostalgia alone would sell that.

I have an original moshimoshi. Loved it til all the phones lost their headphone jacks.

Now I've turned that into a super nerdy quarantine hobby of making vintage phones bluetoothy.

It now does everything a regular phone did just using my cellular connection, with the bonus that if I hit the flash button it brings up Google assistant. So I can hit speaker, then flash, then Google does its beep, and I tell it to turn off the lights or call mom, or anything assistant does, and doesn't require a physical connection to my cell phone.

Clockwork Sputnik has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Jun 24, 2020

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I have an original moshimoshi. Loved it til all the phones lost their headphone jacks.

Now I've turned that into a super nerdy quarantine hobby of making vintage phones bluetoothy.

It now does everything a regular phone did just using my cellular connection, with the bonus that if I hit the flash button it brings up Google assistant. So I can hit speaker, then flash, then Google does its beep, and I tell it to turn off the lights or call mom, or anything assistant does, and doesn't require a physical connection to my cell phone.

This is super cool, have you tried it with a rotary phone?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

artsy fartsy posted:

Every newspaper should trade in the ad department for a match-3 paper-doll game development department

The man who saved journalism

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

That phone's design hits a certain sweet spot in my brain.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Did newspaper websites ever try to have a section with daily crosswords? I feel like thats the kind of thing someone must have thought of when stuff first started moving fully online.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Samuringa posted:

Did newspaper websites ever try to have a section with daily crosswords? I feel like thats the kind of thing someone must have thought of when stuff first started moving fully online.

Yeah, lots of them did and still do. Some people (myself included) really, really love their crosswords.

If you're on Android, check out an app called Shortyz.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Electrical Fire posted:

This is super cool, have you tried it with a rotary phone?

I haven't. I'm sure adding pulse recognition couldn't be any harder than dual tone.

DicktheCat posted:

That phone's design hits a certain sweet spot in my brain.

I had one when I was growing up on the 80s. Found this one on ebay for 40 bux. It hits that black/red lacquer with chrome and neon early to mid 80s vibe, which I'm aiming for starting in my office but throughout the house.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Samuringa posted:

e.g. Two daily (Quick/Cryptic) and one monthly (with £100 prize) from the Guardian, another five weekly from the Observer: https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Folks, somehow I don't think now is the time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Fuuuuuuuck that is some dogshit thinking right there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's so tone-deaf it almost loops back around to being brilliant, I could believe it was from a Photoshop Phriday

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Memento posted:

Folks, somehow I don't think now is the time.

:randpop:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
That's astonishingly bad and I'm not sure if the typo in the tweet text makes it better or worse omfg

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

In a positive example from a company, my local Menards hardware store has a security guard in the entryway requiring any and all shoppers to wear masks. I was in the customer service line and saw him enforce it quite a few times. He was friendly, but firm. Compared to Home Depot, which doesn't seem to give poo poo at all.

The security guy at Menards also had a very visible outline of a pistol under his untucked shirt, so there's that, too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I went to Ace Hardware and the amount of greybeards having their masks on but not covering their noses was depressing. One of them in line said it was hard to breathe in it, and I told him it's even harder to breathe with an upper respiratory lung infection. He told me he just recovered from one. What the Christ. I probably should have posted this in the boomer thread.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Phlegmish posted:

It's a totally different way of being sex weirds than Alabama or whichever American state we're being classist against today. The French, and to a lesser extent the rest of Western Europe, are children of the sexual revolution (no pun intended), May '68 and all that, and even today many will fall back on calling you a repressed prude if you bring up this type of issue.

In the 1970's you even had prominent Frenchpeople defending sex with children, but thankfully that seems to have been stamped out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/11/world/europe/gabriel-matzneff-pedophilia-france.html

This article from February about Gabriel Matzneff really opened my eyes to this.

quote:

In France, Mr. Matzneff was careful to stay mostly inside what some considered a “gray zone,” devoting diaries and novels to his relations with teenage girls. It is in the Philippines that he writes about engaging in clear acts of pedophilia, mostly with prepubescent boys.

“Sometimes, I’ll have as many as four boys — from 8 to 14 years old — in my bed at the same time, and I’ll engage in the most exquisite lovemaking with them,” he wrote in his diaries, “Un Galop d’Enfer,” or “Racing Forward,” published in 1985.

The most public criticism came in 1990, on the literary television show “Apostrophes,” as the host and guests discussed Mr. Matzneff’s latest diary, “Mes Amours Décomposés,” (“My Decomposed Loves.”) In it, he boasted about having sex with countless minors, including 11- and 12-year-old Filipino boys he describes as “a rare spice.”

The single foreigner present, Denise Bombardier, a journalist from Quebec, denounced his pedophilia.
The reaction from France’s intelligentsia was swift.

Josyane Savigneau, who was editor of a literary supplement of the French newspaper Le Monde from 1991 to 2005, publicly chided Ms. Bombardier and defended Mr. Matzneff’s work.

In a recent interview, Ms. Savigneau recalled being revolted by some of Mr. Matzneff’s writings, but said his books were superior to others that landed on her desk.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y32bRcJzL2w

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

https://youtu.be/q12zKLAkAeU

I send these ads to my sister every time I remember they exist. Sooner or later she’s going to block my messages but it’ll have been worth it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Detective No. 27 posted:

I went to Ace Hardware and the amount of greybeards having their masks on but not covering their noses was depressing. One of them in line said it was hard to breathe in it, and I told him it's even harder to breathe with an upper respiratory lung infection. He told me he just recovered from one. What the Christ. I probably should have posted this in the boomer thread.

People are so loving stupid about masks. I saw a guy run past Stop & Shop security with his mask under his chin, and the security guard just watched him do it. What's the point? Speaking of pointlessness, I have also seen people take their masks down to talk to people. :psyduck:

Also, gently caress the Progressive fake Zoom ads. I don't want to look at Zoom, I don't want to look at fake Zoom, and I don't want to look at any of the uncomfortably charisma-free non-Flo people, especially Mara. She should go back to smoking her bowl, offscreen.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

YeahTubaMike posted:

Also, gently caress the Progressive fake Zoom ads. I don't want to look at Zoom, I don't want to look at fake Zoom, and I don't want to look at any of the uncomfortably charisma-free non-Flo people, especially Mara. She should go back to smoking her bowl, offscreen.

I loathe the Zoom Aesthetic that is now “a thing” in advertising, but I feel like Progressive’s take on it is probably the most cynical of all of them. From a marketing perspective, I think it’s fairly impressive that their ads literally have a cast of characters that are named and consistently written. Consider - you know the name of the third most recurring character.

Maybe I like Progressive ads too much…what have I become?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Blue Moonlight posted:

I loathe the Zoom Aesthetic that is now “a thing” in advertising, but I feel like Progressive’s take on it is probably the most cynical of all of them. From a marketing perspective, I think it’s fairly impressive that their ads literally have a cast of characters that are named and consistently written. Consider - you know the name of the third most recurring character.

Maybe I like Progressive ads too much…what have I become?

They are just building the Progressive Cinnematic Universe. Don’t hate just because you are a Gieco fanboy.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The loving, goddamn French have been having this fake argument for years - ' oh you critique our attitude to adult/child sex or to authority figure/dependant sex. You are such a PRUDE.

Gross feckers.

(and I say this as one from a country that allowed paedophiles to run the place for about.100 years :()

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Release the butthole cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Pookah posted:

(and I say this as one from a country that allowed paedophiles to run the place for about.100 years :()

Could you narrow it down a little?