Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

If you have a tolerance for learning and like to build stuff thats very granular, perhaps From the Depths? No real economic stuff, but you do build up a navy quite literally brick by brick, including the AI of your ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Fat Samurai posted:

Asked in the Steam thread but it moves fast: I'm looking for a game like The Guild or the X series, where you start as a low class peasant, or bounty hunter or whatever, but as you get more powerful your gameplay options increase considerably and end up feeling powerful in more ways that just bigger numbers. For example: Mount and Blade has a bit of this, as does Starsector, but in the end those two examples are just "fight controlling one dude" versus "fight controlling 100 dudes", with some not very relevant stronghold stuff, so that's not what I want.

Terraria is kind of good for this; the world basically has two stages of enemies that are accessible immediately (the harder level of enemies are gated behind a particular boss battle) and you go from poking enemies with a tiny sword to mowing them down with homing laser cannons, giant swords that shoot projectiles, or ornate magic spells. If you want to command an army of minions to help you then that's an option as well but the summoner route is kind of limited compared to going melee, mage, or ranger (and truthfully the strongest path is to do a bit of all four classes).

If the building aspect doesn't appeal to you then you can ignore almost all of it and just go for the Metroidvania experience of it all.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm looking for a game that may not actually exist:

Are there any espionage games out there? I'm thinking tense, Cold War style running assets and setting up dead drops kind of game, not James Bond and evil masterminds kind of stuff.

I was playing Daily Chthonicle a while back and thought it might be interesting to play a management sim meets a John Le Carre novel, so does anything remotely like that exist?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Closest I can think of:

Floor 13
Phantom Doctrine

Never played it, but supposedly the FMV adventure game Spycraft is pretty good

Sid Meyer's Covert Action?

Kinda sorta very stretching it Uplink maybe??

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MockingQuantum posted:

Are there any espionage games out there? I'm thinking tense, Cold War style running assets and setting up dead drops kind of game, not James Bond and evil masterminds kind of stuff.

I was playing Daily Chthonicle a while back and thought it might be interesting to play a management sim meets a John Le Carre novel, so does anything remotely like that exist?

There's Invisible Inc, which is tactical isometric game like XCOM but with an emphasis on stealth and subterfuge.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

There's Invisible Inc, which is tactical isometric game like XCOM but with an emphasis on stealth and subterfuge.

While an excellent game in it's own right, I think that falls close to "James bond style poo poo".

You might check out the board game Twlight Struggle. There is a digital version on Steam.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

Mainlining, maybe

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

MockingQuantum posted:

I would love a game like this too, but unfortunately all I can tell you is that Phantom Doctrine and Invisible Inc aren't it.

Phantom Doctrine seems like it is at first but rapidly turns into poo poo. Invisible Inc is more of a puzzle-y Xcom ish sci fi thing that's nice for what it is but won't scratch the itch you're describing.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

HoI4 with the latest DLC has you setting up and running a spy agency alongside all the military stuff, deploying agents on ops, organising rescues if they get caught etc. It's abstract though, and kinda superfluous most of the time. And the game is complicated af to learn (worth it though.)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Star Traders Frontiers can be played as a spy. Fly around space, get jobs from politicians and underground contacts, spy for factions and commit acts of sabotage. It’s pretty in-depth, to the point where you should probably have the wiki open while playing.

E:phoneposting

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

The Death to Spies games are kind of this. They're basically janky Russian Hitman clones set during WWII and the Cold War where your missions are more about stealing plans and sabotaging things than killing people. E.g. there's a mission where you have to rescue a KGB agent under house arrest and guarded by the FBI and somehow sneak a body in his place so that they think he's dead. Other missions have you sneaking into Nazi military installations and disabling AA guns, blowing up bridges, etc.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't have any suggestions beyond what people have said, but I am wondering _why_ something like this doesn't seem to get made currently?

Floor 13 and Covert Action are the closest I've played, but there aren't even any indie games that do that kind of thing in recent years which seems a bit odd. It seems a bit of a gap since it's an obvious thing for there to be games about.

Edit: Rockstar were working on a game that apparently was some kind of cold war spy agency thing that might have been like this, but from what I can gather it's either indefinitely delayed or totally canned

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 30, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Same with Mafia based strategy games. We only have Gangsters: Organised Crime. The rest are turn based tactics with a Mafia inspired metagame. I was hoping the upcoming Empire of Sin was going to be the Mafia manager I was looking for, but it turns out that's going to be the same crap.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I don't have any suggestions beyond what people have said, but I am wondering _why_ something like this doesn't seem to get made currently?

Floor 13 and Covert Action are the closest I've played, but there aren't even any indie games that do that kind of thing in recent years which seems a bit odd. It seems a bit of a gap since it's an obvious thing for there to be games about.

Edit: Rockstar were working on a game that apparently was some kind of cold war spy agency thing that might have been like this, but from what I can gather it's either indefinitely delayed or totally canned

And it's too bad because Covert Action is an incredible idea but kind of sucks to play, especially once you figure out the best way to do it. The idea of a procedurally generated enemy plot that happens in progress and the player has to find clues and intervene with a running clock is so cool. I would happily kick in money for a Covert Action 2020 kickstarter or whatever.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I need game that lets me relive the happiness of my childhood.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

WaltherFeng posted:

Nintendo 64 emulator, Super Mario 64

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Binding of Isaac? :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

What was your childhood? Rising Storm 2 has an Army Men mode.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I liked rpgs as a kid.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

WaltherFeng posted:

I liked rpgs as a kid.

Did you ever play Seiken Densetsu 3?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Did you ever play Seiken Densetsu 3?

I dont think I have, is it good?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

I liked rpgs as a kid.

Dragon Quest XI

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

I liked rpgs as a kid.

Octopath Traveller is an amazing nostalgia trip if you're talking Final Fantasy 6. Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass and Undertale are more Earthboundy. If you've not played Undertale, after the mediocre first zone, it is pure distilled joy. If you're talking CRPGs, then try the Geneforge games or the Avadon series, both by Jeff Vogel.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Invisible inc is pretty neat but definitely spy ish. Missions were nice and challenging!

From games I've browsed past recently,
I think sigma theory is the one you want?
Maybe rebel inc. Or phantom doctrine?

edit: all walls must fall?

Lastly, both Orwell games are stellar, but its sort of the same concept from the other way around/more modern angle. Its 'spymastery-from-state-sponsored-media-and-privacy-invasive' angle.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 30, 2020

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I genuinely don't know, as I was reading The Spy Who Came In From the Cold I was thinking that it'd be fun to play a game set in the cold war (or fictional equivalent) where you're a deputy area controller and have to run assets, set up dead drops, detect and undermine counterintelligence, bribe sources, etc. in a management style game. I was pretty surprised to find that it didn't really exist. Seems like the kind of thing Lucas Pope would make.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

WaltherFeng posted:

Definitely Super Mario Odyssey

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I genuinely don't know, as I was reading The Spy Who Came In From the Cold I was thinking that it'd be fun to play a game set in the cold war (or fictional equivalent) where you're a deputy area controller and have to run assets, set up dead drops, detect and undermine counterintelligence, bribe sources, etc. in a management style game. I was pretty surprised to find that it didn't really exist. Seems like the kind of thing Lucas Pope would make.

This is a bit left field, but what you're describing sounds a bit like the world-map portion of Evil Genius. You have to dispatch henchmen to conduct certain tasks, which takes them away from your lair, and the tasks can increase heat which leads to more enemy agents coming to your base. I guess the issue is that most of the game is about base management.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Anyway! I'm coming here for some sale recommendations while its on.

Here's what I'm considering picking up, does anyone have hands on experience with any of it - to give it a pass - or a firmer recommendation along similiar lines?

looking to par it down a bit or branch out a lil bit more.

StarCrawlers
Legend of Keepers
Griftlands
Quantum Replica
Bright Memory
SYNTHETIK: Legion Rising
Whispers of a Machine
Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock
Gloomhaven
Neo Cab
The Red Strings Club
(I already have VA-11 Hall-A: other games like that are neat!)
Hades

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm looking for some really good exploration games. Like you're put in a big, well-designed world that makes you want to travel around and look everywhere.

The best example I can think of is Subnautica - the world is varied, interesting, dangerous, and you get a real feeling of discovery. Bad examples would be Minecraft (procedurally generated worlds are boring) and Skyrim (everything is the same, mostly).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm looking for some really good exploration games. Like you're put in a big, well-designed world that makes you want to travel around and look everywhere.

The best example I can think of is Subnautica - the world is varied, interesting, dangerous, and you get a real feeling of discovery. Bad examples would be Minecraft (procedurally generated worlds are boring) and Skyrim (everything is the same, mostly).

Outer Wilds

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Rain World

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

TheParadigm posted:

Here's what I'm considering picking up, does anyone have hands on experience with any of it - to give it a pass - or a firmer recommendation along similiar lines?

StarCrawlers
Legend of Keepers
Griftlands
Quantum Replica
Bright Memory
Whispers of a Machine
Gloomhaven
Neo Cab
The Red Strings Club
Hades

The only one of these I have played is Synthetik. It's good.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Funnily enough, the game Black Closet released in 2015 and Floor 13 is stated as a direct influence.

Of course, the setting is completely different, because you're the leader of an absurdly powerful student council at an all-girls boarding school, but the general structure seems pretty similar. Plots happen constantly and you're encouraged to solve them effectively and quietly, lest your school's reputation suffer.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Manager Hoyden posted:

INFRA

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

WaltherFeng posted:

Monster Hunter World did this for me, somehow. I liked it so much I beat it and then immediately started a new character and beat it again. There's not even really a reason to have two characters, except to have both genders. Luckily they remade Resident Evil 2 and it was excellent, as that was also a staple game of my childhood. Beyond that, most PSX era JRPGs have mods that make them upscaled, for instance FF9 has Moguri Mod that basically makes it look like a remaster. Any game with pre-rendered backgrounds are excellent for this.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Monster Hunter World is wonderful. Beautiful scenery, endearing personality that never takes itself too seriously but also doesn't go full monkeycheese, adorable cat friends running around, and drop-in co-op with players online 'round the clock. It's pure video game joy :allears:.

The Earth Defense Force mainline titles (EDF 4.1, EDF 5) are also very "feel like a kid again" games. You run around with bigass guns shooting giant insects while your comrades randomly break out into song and talk about how neat it is to have lasers. EDF 5 doesn't ham it up quite as much as 4.1, but it's still absurd, and playing the absurdity straight is hilarious in its own way. Like when your commander and intel officer discuss, in total seriousness, how the midgame alien solders look exactly like humans, as they have two eyes, two ears, hands and feet, a mouth, and are bipedal they're giant frogs.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Shine posted:

Monster Hunter World is wonderful. Beautiful scenery, endearing personality that never takes itself too seriously but also doesn't go full monkeycheese, adorable cat friends running around, and drop-in co-op with players online 'round the clock. It's pure video game joy :allears:.

The Earth Defense Force mainline titles (EDF 4.1, EDF 5) are also very "feel like a kid again" games. You run around with bigass guns shooting giant insects while your comrades randomly break out into song and talk about how neat it is to have lasers. EDF 5 doesn't ham it up quite as much as 4.1, but it's still absurd, and playing the absurdity straight is hilarious in its own way. Like when your commander and intel officer discuss, in total seriousness, how the midgame alien solders look exactly like humans, as they have two eyes, two ears, hands and feet, a mouth, and are bipedal they're giant frogs.
Can confirm my best moments playing Monster Hunter World as a newcomer to the series was when I was killing and capturing monsters via looney tunes pranks. Which makes sense for any game with a combination of flimsy leaf camo stealth capes and gunpoweder barrels bigger than you are.

EDF is also an amazing joy, and EDF5 has a lot of QoL to reduce the overall grind and smooth out the drop pacing compared to previous entries. Still plenty of RNJesus trying to get the gear you want specifically, but health gains and gear gains are universal in 5, instead of based on what class you are playing as. Even if I love both of them enough to buy em twice (Three times with EDF 4 :v:)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 1, 2020

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

I dont think I have, is it good?

It is. It got remade into Trials of Mana recently.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

StarCrawlers
Legend of Keepers
Griftlands
Quantum Replica
Bright Memory
Whispers of a Machine
Gloomhaven
Neo Cab
The Red Strings Club
Hades

From your list I can 100% recommend Starcrawlers and Hades, the former is a little janky but it's a great dungeon crawler. Hades is just fantastic and we'll worth picking up in early access, as it plays around with the format in clever ways to the point where there's cute story stuff you'll never see if you start playing at full release.

Based on you listing Starcrawlers, Griftlands and Gloomhaven, I'm going to recommend Wildermyth.

It's a really endearing board game/tabletop style RPG focusing on procedurally generated stories that actually work really well. Your characters have distinct personalities and develop relationships and unique traits over time, you end up really invested in them. The combat isn't revolutionary but it's a fun and snappy time which makes use of your characters' bonds in clever ways.

I've posted about it a bit in the old school RPG thread and RPS has done some good articles on it

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/game/wildermyth/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Breath of the Wild.

TheParadigm posted:

The makers of VA-11 Hall-A are working on another game in the same vain that's supposedly going to release this year called N1RV Ann-A. There's also a little spin-off game that's all the VA-11 Hall-A characters as kids that you might find interesting. https://sukebangames.itch.io/valhallakids

There's a game called "Coffeetalk" that is very much trying to do the same thing as VA-11 Hall-A, but with a coffee shop instead of a bar and with a fantasy angle instead of cyberpunk, so like with elves and tieflings. I didn't like it, I don't know if it was because I didn't like the writing or if it was because I once had a job serving coffee and I hated it. There's a demo if you want to just try.

Papers Please is a game with less writing and talking with characters, but it does give a really interesting experience with its own story.