Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

David Lynch cameos as Inland Empire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Digital Osmosis posted:

I mean, she does identify herself as female at least.

is Shivers "itself" female, or is that just the feminine La Revacholiere speaking through it? as I recall the ultimate church danceoff scene has the speaker explicitly call herself the genius loci of revachol, which is presumably not located within or otherwise a part of harry's hosed-up brain

I guess Shivers itself could be coded feminine while simultaneously being a "part" of masculine harry, but I mostly wanted the opportunity to type the phrase "genius loci"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Shivers is the city speaking to Harry through the wind. It's the only skill where the information doesn't come from him, but he is special for being able to listen.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

wiegieman posted:

Shivers is the city speaking to Harry through the wind. It's the only skill where the information doesn't come from him, but he is special for being able to listen.

Espirit de Corps says hi.

Encyclopedia would too, but it was pub quiz night and everyone nailed his door shut afterwards.

Not to the obvious extent the other two are, but an awful lot of Encyclopedia is information that Harry's been exposed to but never really became part of Harry. For example, The Expression is part of Harry and you need to employ your electrospine to do anything with it, but the other elements of Guillaume le Million (if it doesn't rhyme, you're not saying it right) are just kind of lying forgotten in a corner until Encyclopedia chances on them while tidying up.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

wiegieman posted:

Actually there is both regular shivers and ALL CAPS shivers, and it's only the all caps that is La Revacholiere.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Encyclopedia would too, but it was pub quiz night and everyone nailed his door shut afterwards.

Not to the obvious extent the other two are, but an awful lot of Encyclopedia is information that Harry's been exposed to but never really became part of Harry. For example, The Expression is part of Harry and you need to employ your electrospine to do anything with it, but the other elements of Guillaume le Million (if it doesn't rhyme, you're not saying it right) are just kind of lying forgotten in a corner until Encyclopedia chances on them while tidying up.

I feel like Encyclopedia is still an aspect of Harry's personality. One of the funniest lines it has is the "I am required to inform you that Contact Mike is a famous boxer". Like it doesn't want to do it, but thanks to Harry's obsession with him it simply cannot stop itself.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Paladin posted:

Actually there is both regular shivers and ALL CAPS shivers, and it's only the all caps that is La Revacholiere.

Yeah I assumed that Shivers is like an antenna of sorts through which LA REVACHOLIERE sometimes speaks, when she's in the mood.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Glazius posted:

as opposed to just narrating distant events, esprit de corps does explicitly talk to you at least once: it guesses that jean vicquemare, wearing the sunglasses and blond wig in the whirling, is somehow related to you. when vicquemare, annoyed, says "no" to see how you'll react, esprit de corps figures it must've misread something and apologizes. the contrast I want to know is whether shivers ever uses the same "I" type of sentence when it isn't clearly LA REVACHOLIERE. is it just an unfeeling conduit for description from the city, or does it have cognizance of itself like the other skills?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You're right, Espirit de Corps also gives Harry cop-visions. My bad.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
If they're going to have the skills as characters, they'd have to scrap or combine a lot of them. I reckon the base game could of benefited from combining a few of the skills in Physique and Motorics that had a lot of overlap, leaving them with less to say.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

JustaDamnFool posted:

If they're going to have the skills as characters, they'd have to scrap or combine a lot of them. I reckon the base game could of benefited from combining a few of the skills in Physique and Motorics that had a lot of overlap, leaving them with less to say.

They did this specifically as to allow for different builds to still be able to progress through the story. The overlap is intentional.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Agreed on the intentional overlap but was a constraint of the medium being a videogame. Any TV adaption is going to have different material constraints. Has any recent adaption been made with a source being so reliant on inner monologues? A television or movie could maybe get the same effect across in another way.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Yadoppsi posted:

Agreed on the intentional overlap but was a constraint of the medium being a videogame. Any TV adaption is going to have different material constraints. Has any recent adaption been made with a source being so reliant on inner monologues? A television or movie could maybe get the same effect across in another way.

Adaptation?

(As in, the actual movie called Adaptation).

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Just started playing. Only a couple hours in and I'm already a sorry cop. Is that bad? I don't remember Planescape: Torment giving me so many opportunities to apologize for past lovely behavior.

I do have one question, and I think I'm mostly unspoiled. Early on, taking with (I think) Reptilian Brain, he calls me Harry. I don't recall getting to ask about it, and I still act like I can't remember my name. Did I miss something? Was it just an aside for future playthroughs to enjoy?

I chose one of the premade stat blocks and struggle a lot when the low ones come up. Worth it to restart?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Twobirds posted:

I chose one of the premade stat blocks and struggle a lot when the low ones come up. Worth it to restart?

Failing some checks is part of the game, just keep going

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
it's basically impossible to lock yourself out of the game through poor skill choices and there's no real way to min max either

play however you want, failing is half the fun

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Twobirds posted:

Just started playing. Only a couple hours in and I'm already a sorry cop. Is that bad? I don't remember Planescape: Torment giving me so many opportunities to apologize for past lovely behavior.

I do have one question, and I think I'm mostly unspoiled. Early on, taking with (I think) Reptilian Brain, he calls me Harry. I don't recall getting to ask about it, and I still act like I can't remember my name. Did I miss something? Was it just an aside for future playthroughs to enjoy?

I think we’re all conditioned from prior RPGs (especially Planescape) toward Sorry Cop. After all, Regret is what can change the nature of a man. The game pokes fun at you for it but it isn’t a problem.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Twobirds posted:

You did not miss anything. Information and insight comes at you in different orders depending on what kind of build you have and what you choose to do/not to do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A linear adaptation would be well served to merge a few of the skills together. Not sure which ones might be, though.

Espirit de Corps and Shivers are both implicitly paranatural abilities; they may have their own voice, but they primarily channel outside influences; Espirit de Corps the understanding of how police and similar groups bond and interact (since it also gives you insight on the Hardie Boys and even the mercenaries), almost to a psychic degree; while Shivers is channelling environmental knowledge, mostly the voice of the city but possibly not limited to it.

Inland Empire also seems to be a little beyond what Harry 'should' know, with the name seeming to imply it's not just his imagination but some knowledge of genre convention. Almost the point of leaning up against the fourth wall.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Paladin posted:

You did not miss anything. Information and insight comes at you in different orders depending on what kind of build you have and what you choose to do/not to do.

So depending on my build, I might have caught it and responded to it?

Really like it so far. Great writing. PoE2 is fun, but the full voice acting grated on me eventually. I just like to read, I guess.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Twobirds posted:

Really like it so far. Great writing. PoE2 is fun, but the full voice acting grated on me eventually. I just like to read, I guess.

yeah. the point is the journey, so to speak. the facts of the case/world at the start of the game are fixed, and the variety/depth comes from how your choice of skills affects how you navigate situations. that includes both your inspiring successes and your catastrophic failures in equal measure.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Twobirds posted:

PoE2 is fun, but the full voice acting grated on me eventually. I just like to read, I guess.

To me, this stood out out of all of the things DE did extremely right. They gave a voice to each (I believe?) character, making it possible to read all the text with those voices in your head, while also saving time and budget not recording a million words and allowing for reading huge amounts of text in your own pace.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Inland Empire also seems to be a little beyond what Harry 'should' know, with the name seeming to imply it's not just his imagination but some knowledge of genre convention. Almost the point of leaning up against the fourth wall.

The coolest part about Inland Empire is that it allows for both supranatural and mundane reading, in a way. To me, it felt more like Harry's (extremely fine-tuned) intuition working in tandem with his (extremely strong) imagination. Like he can pick up on a lot of things going on around him, eg. working-class woman probably worrying about something but trying not to show it, or all the small inconsitencies and weird bits about the hanged man situation, but it's not a conscious thing and the signals get filtered through layers of his hungover, fried, sad and damaged brain, with end result being very Lynchian.

nurmie fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 30, 2020

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The question I keep coming back to is gently caress DOES CUNO CARE?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Animal-Mother posted:

The question I keep coming back to is gently caress DOES CUNO CARE?

He doesn't care

Twobirds posted:

Yeah, I wish more games with voice acting would do that, voice one or two lines of each conversation/page/whatever so that we get the "voice" of the character and just let us read the rest.

RudeCat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 30, 2020

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

nurmie posted:

To me, this stood out out of all of the things DE did extremely right. They gave a voice to each (I believe?) character, making it possible to read all the text with those voices in your head, while also saving time and budget not recording a million words and allowing for reading huge amounts of text in your own pace.

The coolest part about Inland Empire is that it allows for both supranatural and mundane reading, in a way. To me, it felt more like Harry's (extremely fine-tuned) intuition working in tandem with his (extremely strong) imagination. Like he can pick up on a lot of things going on around him, eg. working-class woman probably worrying about something but trying not to show it, or all the small inconsitencies and weird bits about the hanged man situation, but it's not a conscious thing and the signals get filtered through layers of his hungover, fried, sad and damaged brain, with end result being very Lynchian.

Yes, DE did voices really right. Maybe the dorky podcaster voices grated on some (I listen to their podcast so I liked them haha) but all the other voices felt really natural and fitting. The visual/sound presentation was really an A+ for me.

And I am so glad I picked the Sensitive premade on my first run. It feels like my canon playthrough to the point where it's hard to want to play again, even though I know I missed some good stuff.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I wish there was a way to save the man who tripped and died on the boardwalk. Something about the timing of when I found the body--essentially right after the tribunal--just really made it hit all the harder for me. Here's a dead body. It's been dead. Foul play? Probably not. Dude just died. An accident. It loving sucks.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

UP AND ADAM posted:

The visual/sound presentation was really an A+ for me.

The only gripe I had with sound was that dialogue was obviously recorded in several different rooms, with some of it (Cuno's, for example) sounding like the room wasn't all that well treated for reverb/noise. Given the budget, etc. it's not a big deal really though

Shinjobi posted:

I wish there was a way to save the man who tripped and died on the boardwalk. Something about the timing of when I found the body--essentially right after the tribunal--just really made it hit all the harder for me. Here's a dead body. It's been dead. Foul play? Probably not. Dude just died. An accident. It loving sucks.

This was one of the top moments of the game for me. I still remember the horror when I realised who the dead man is related to about 5 seconds before knocking on the door. I don't think I even got it out of the working-class lady that her husband's missing, so that whole encounter was just comedic cockatoo-related shenanigans for me up until that point

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

nurmie posted:

The only gripe I had with sound was that dialogue was obviously recorded in several different rooms, with some of it (Cuno's, for example) sounding like the room wasn't all that well treated for reverb/noise. Given the budget, etc. it's not a big deal really though

This was one of the top moments of the game for me. I still remember the horror when I realised who the dead man is related to about 5 seconds before knocking on the door. I don't think I even got it out of the working-class lady that her husband's missing, so that whole encounter was just comedic cockatoo-related shenanigans for me up until that point

I was really glad I succeeded on my Empathy checks when talking to the widow because I didn't want to see what failure looked like. :smith:

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Shinjobi posted:

Agreed, it was one of those parts of the game which gave me big No Country for Old Men vibes. Sometimes there's just senseless death and loss and it doesn't have any larger, greater meaning. It's just horrible. It's made all the worse by my (in hindsight) silly prodding when the woman was at the bookstore. That was one of the funniest moments in the game for me, derailed Harry just pushing and pushing ... now it's one of the saddest.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

OGS-Remix posted:

I was really glad I succeeded on my Empathy checks when talking to the widow because I didn't want to see what failure looked like. :smith:

You kind of flub delivering it, and feel awful about it; Kim steps in and offers what he can to the widow, and reassures you after you leave that no one is good at that sort of thing, you just do what you can. :smith:

wiegieman posted:

You can listen, too. If you try.

Beamed fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 1, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Playing Splatoon 2 and it came to me, if by some insane 2020 miracle DE gets Smash Ultimate representation, Cuno would fit right in as an Inkling spirit battle.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Orange Inkling boy with the speed cranked way up, accompanied by a girl Villager and if you KO her you lose.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Shinjobi posted:

It was alcoholism that killed him, but municipal maintenance neglect pulled the trigger.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

World War Mammories posted:

as opposed to just narrating distant events, esprit de corps does explicitly talk to you at least once: it guesses that jean vicquemare, wearing the sunglasses and blond wig in the whirling, is somehow related to you. when vicquemare, annoyed, says "no" to see how you'll react, esprit de corps figures it must've misread something and apologizes.

Oh man, this one's actually great. Endgame spoilers:

In the final debrief, Vincquemare says that he was dressing up as a former member of the task force who quit in disgust after one too many Tequila Sunset shenanigans on Harry's part. It wasn't actually a bad disguise! I mean, it was, but it was also an attempt to confront Harry with something he turbo doesn't remember.

Espirit de Corps is telling you the truth: that face you're supposed to recognize isn't a cop anymore.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Latest patch from just a few hours ago mentions new Thoughts!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh wow, they're still adding stuff to the game?? I haven't touched the game I got all into it, but just didn't finish it. I'm pretty sure I was just cleaning up 100% of everything I could and re-checking it, kind of just stalling. Gotta actually wrap it up at some point, wonder if I should just start from scratch or nahhh can't start over, been through too much with that guy already-- gotta see us through it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The heck

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

are there patch notes somewhere?

unrelated: it just occurred to me that the sphere in the background of the logo is, presumably, elysium

e: VVV thanks. time to get exploring I suppose

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 2, 2020

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Notes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

It's the ghost of a disco ball. Disco Elysium.