Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Great-grandma's antique Japanese vanity with broken trim. Trim removed and replaced for a slimmer, stronger profile (local custom/repair furniture workshop).

before

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

after

(mirror re-set after this photo)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

We went to the Italian part of the country for the weekend, it is very lovely and looks like this https://i.imgur.com/HpmEW5J.jpg

oofa

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Yeah it’s def not gonna be quite as vibrant as this but I just needed a visual aid. But fortunately Home Depot carries Glidden exterior paint for about $21 a gallon so it’s not gonna be too crazy as she has 6 colors picked out.

It sounds like the fence is pretty short and, if so, you might be able to do it with those cheap little tester quarts instead of having to buy a whole gallon of each color.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

peanut posted:

after

(mirror re-set after this photo)

Flash forward 15 years to Antiques Roadshow:

"As it is right now, I expect at auction it would fetch $500-600. However if you had the original wooden trim, you're looking at $12,000"

looks great though for real

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

BonoMan posted:

Flash forward 15 years to Antiques Roadshow:

"As it is right now, I expect at auction it would fetch $500-600. However if you had the original wooden trim, you're looking at $12,000"

OPEN THE PRICE

(開運なんでも鑑定団)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Call for a DIY IK
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930843

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

A landscaping service just left after evaluating my property, and while I don't have a quote yet, I'm anticipating it's going to land between $4,000 and $6,000. That's a chunk of change that I'm not eager to spend, especially when it's all demo work - ripping up weeds, assorted bushes, random plants, and turning it all into seeded topsoil. It's gotta be possible to do this sort of thing DIY, since other people have multiple acres they keep under control.

Below are a few pictures of the type of overgrowth I'm looking to remove, as well as one of a handful of bushes. These images represent maybe 30 to 50% of the surface area I want to clean up. If one wanted to just wipe all this off the map, what tools would you use to go about it? (I presume I'd need to rent one or two things.)

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

The Wonder Weapon posted:

A landscaping service just left after evaluating my property, and while I don't have a quote yet, I'm anticipating it's going to land between $4,000 and $6,000. That's a chunk of change that I'm not eager to spend, especially when it's all demo work - ripping up weeds, assorted bushes, random plants, and turning it all into seeded topsoil. It's gotta be possible to do this sort of thing DIY, since other people have multiple acres they keep under control.

Below are a few pictures of the type of overgrowth I'm looking to remove, as well as one of a handful of bushes. These images represent maybe 30 to 50% of the surface area I want to clean up. If one wanted to just wipe all this off the map, what tools would you use to go about it? (I presume I'd need to rent one or two things.)

You’re looking to turn all of it into lawn all the way to the edges? Keeping a bit of a border between your lawn and the fence might make yard maintenance a little easier, as well as be a little more eco friendly if you’re planning on keeping a garden on your property. Honestly the first picture looks kind of cute in a meadow-y kind of way.

That said, the bushes will probably need to get chopped/sawed back with the stumps dug up- the experience can vary a lot depending on the species. Do you have a place where you can dispose of plant matter and dirt? Dirt is surprisingly hard to throw out.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Not really clear on what you want to achieve. You want to remove everything that isn’t grass and just have turf everywhere?

It’s looks pretty nice as-is, and certainly more interesting than lawn right up to a chain link fence - I’d be looking to tidy it up and add to it.

If you did want to get rid of it all though, it’ll be easy to do yourself. Assuming there are no large trees:

Garden fork, spade, strimmer, loppers, saw (hand or reciprocating w/ pruning blade), gloves, maybe a pick axe, some containers to put the waste in for transport, assuming you’re not going to:
a) start a compost heap.
b) get a dumpster

You may have a decent size stump to deal with from that bush, and if you can’t dig it up you’d need to leave it to rot, burn it or get it ground off.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I had a somewhat lousy experience with an electrician yesterday, and I posted some pics over in the electrical thread because I was feeling pretty upset about how it all turned out. Now that I've got my panel replaced and there are extra slots for new circuits, I'm finally going to buy this book on home wiring and electrical codes and just do additional work my own drat self. Nothing quite like paying someone a small fortune to do a poo poo job to get you back into the DIY spirit.

if i never post again it is because i have electrocuted myself

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Sirotan posted:

I had a somewhat lousy experience with an electrician yesterday, and I posted some pics over in the electrical thread because I was feeling pretty upset about how it all turned out. Now that I've got my panel replaced and there are extra slots for new circuits, I'm finally going to buy this book on home wiring and electrical codes and just do additional work my own drat self. Nothing quite like paying someone a small fortune to do a poo poo job to get you back into the DIY spirit.

if i never post again it is because i have electrocuted myself

Don't feel too bad. It happens to everyone at least once. Electricity isn't too hard or scary as long as you take precautions, double check all your work, and research things ahead of time. Also get WAGOs.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Neat, never knew about these before.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Sirotan posted:

Neat, never knew about these before.

The 221's are the ones to get. They're life changing.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

What's the general thoughts on self installation of gutters versus getting someone to do them? I'd like to get gutters installed on my house, and I had gotten a quote previously, but I've been thinking lately that I could probably buy all the parts needed at Home Depot or Lowes, and then simply stringline the slope to make sure I get good drainage.

It doesn't seem like it would be too hard; originally when I had gotten a quote, it was because I wanted to try and match my fascia to meet HOA painting requirements, but it sounds like I'd have to paint it regardless, and the company doing the gutters said they don't paint them, so it seems like I could install and paint at the same time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

The 221's are the ones to get. They're life changing.

drat, could have used some of those when I added an outlet for our bidet a few months ago.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SourKraut posted:

What's the general thoughts on self installation of gutters versus getting someone to do them? I'd like to get gutters installed on my house, and I had gotten a quote previously, but I've been thinking lately that I could probably buy all the parts needed at Home Depot or Lowes, and then simply stringline the slope to make sure I get good drainage.

It doesn't seem like it would be too hard; originally when I had gotten a quote, it was because I wanted to try and match my fascia to meet HOA painting requirements, but it sounds like I'd have to paint it regardless, and the company doing the gutters said they don't paint them, so it seems like I could install and paint at the same time.

How complicated is your roofline and do you want seemless? That will estimate how hard it'll be. I did 2 ~20ft sections of my garage. It was about $200 for all the bits and pieces. And wasn't super complicated.. I do need to go back over a seam at the end because I didn't calk it well

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just don't get the lovely plastic gutters. Goddamn we had those and they are the worst. Then I got someone to come do my entire house in seamless steel gutters for $700 and they are amazing.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

tater_salad posted:

How complicated is your roofline and do you want seemless? That will estimate how hard it'll be. I did 2 ~20ft sections of my garage. It was about $200 for all the bits and pieces. And wasn't super complicated.. I do need to go back over a seam at the end because I didn't calk it well

The roofline is pretty simple, from the perspective of it's a single story house, and everything is easily accessible via ladder. I had planned it out previously in terms of drop locations, etc. (and it's actually the plan the installer I got a quote from confirmed and used). It's about 130 feet of gutter total, the longest section is 27' along our back patio. I'm not too concerned about seam vs seamless, since we live in Phoenix and this is mostly to help reduce/eliminate a few of the areas that sees some erosion due to how the roof drains currently to grade.

BonoMan posted:

Just don't get the lovely plastic gutters. Goddamn we had those and they are the worst. Then I got someone to come do my entire house in seamless steel gutters for $700 and they are amazing.
Yeah, no plastic gutters. I'd just do aluminum probably.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Check out local gutters, on old buildings if anything they're just a log suspended from the edge of your roof. But more likely nothing.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

I had my side yard and a wooded area cleared for under $3000. They spent two days with a few guys and a small bulldozer. So maybe get a few quotes. The picture with grass is maybe 2/3 of the wooded area after it was cleared,and the picture with the driveway is about 2/3 of that area as well. It has filled in nicely since the time I took the picture.

https://imgur.com/a/Y1oi43f

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

SpartanIvy posted:

Don't feel too bad. It happens to everyone at least once. Electricity isn't too hard or scary as long as you take precautions, double check all your work, and research things ahead of time. Also get WAGOs.

This is spot on. I added a 120 and a 220 with that book and WAGOs. My only complaint is that working with 10ga wire into a socket is a right pain. Works great though.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Doin fence thangz

Shout to to Sherwin Williams and their quart size samples.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Doin fence thangz

Shout to to Sherwin Williams and their quart size samples.

I love it

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
So, I hired a crew to repaint our house. It's an oldish stone colonial (between 90 and 95 years old) with the original doors, windows, and trim. Nothing extreme -- surface prep followed by spot primer and two top coats on most surfaces other than the windows, which only were getting one coat because they're behind some triple-track storms.

The foreman (who is the owner's dad) was a little non-specifically weird, but nice enough. They finished up while I was sleeping between shifts and when I did a walkaround, it was obvious that as the work progressed, everything got worse, in particular everything the foreman worked on personally. I mean, the doors (which were painted on the last day) were terrible. The prep was almost nonexistant. You could see the old pain through the new pain in places, while other places had rubbery blobs from pain splattered on. There was huge overpaint onto the glass and onto the hardware. Hell, not only was there paint on the surrounding trim, I found a splash of paint onto the door into our dining room, four feet away from the front door. I found lots of other areas of bad to nonexistent prep and poor painting, again mainly what the head guy was working on. Weirdly, they repaired and repainted the rotted trim around the garage door and did a phenomenal job ... and it was specifically excluded from the contract.

I called the contact guy, pretty pissed, and he came the following afternoon. He seemed legitimately shocked and said he'd take pictures, e-mail the owner, and come up with a plan to address everything.

Then the owner called. He called his dad the following morning to ask him what the gently caress happened, and said his dad just sounded off. Well, turns out he had a temperature of 102 and now is admitted to the hospital with pneumonia. "Thank God, they said it's not COVID." (It's going to be COVID.)

I'm annoyed that everything needs to be readdressed, but it's kind of hard to fault a guy who was delirious. Ah, home ownership.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Also, you know, risking you and/or your family with a pandemic.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Hubis posted:

Also, you know, risking you and/or your family with a pandemic.
A) He clearly didn't realize he was sick, and
B) LOL at the notion that they guy who wasn't within ten feet of us at any point was my family's risk factor as opposed to the multiple COVID-19 patients I treated through the painting project. I feel badly for his crew, though, and I bet he will too when he's not delirious from fever and/or COVID brain.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Fence thangz pt. 2

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:3 :3 :3 Those pastels look so good!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What was the ant bait reco in this thread? Terro stakes?

We've got a stubborn infestation. I can see precisely where they are outside, but every time I Raid their path and entryway they find another way in.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

BonoMan posted:

What was the ant bait reco in this thread? Terro stakes?

We've got a stubborn infestation. I can see precisely where they are outside, but every time I Raid their path and entryway they find another way in.

I've always had good luck with this for Argentine ants, which is probably what you have: https://www.amazon.com/AMDRO-Block-Home-Perimeter-Granules/dp/B000QDEQ7E . Sprinkle it all the way around your house when it's not going to rain, especially near where they're coming in. The downside is you have to wait a day or two for it to take effect, but the upside is it kills the whole colony so the problem goes away entirely. Refresh the perimeter every month or so. When you spray Raid on their trail, you just kill a few ants and the colony finds another path. When you use this stuff, they carry it back to the colony as food and it kills them all slowly over a day or two. I feel a little bad, but it's better than ants in the house.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I swear by the terro borax baits, I've had several instances inside and out where I've had to use them and they always do the job in a couple days

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Qwijib0 posted:

I swear by the terro borax baits, I've had several instances inside and out where I've had to use them and they always do the job in a couple days

Same. I've always had great luck with them.

If I'm spraying the yard for things like that including ants I'll typically use something like Talstar Pro, but I'd rather not use that kind of thing inside. It also kills them to quickly to bring back to the colony so it's really just a surface treatment. Terro baits absolutely make it back into the colony. So it takes longer, but it WORKS.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

Same. I get a line of ants to them within a day or two and then they disappear from the area.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

BadSamaritan posted:

You’re looking to turn all of it into lawn all the way to the edges? Keeping a bit of a border between your lawn and the fence might make yard maintenance a little easier, as well as be a little more eco friendly if you’re planning on keeping a garden on your property. Honestly the first picture looks kind of cute in a meadow-y kind of way.

That said, the bushes will probably need to get chopped/sawed back with the stumps dug up- the experience can vary a lot depending on the species. Do you have a place where you can dispose of plant matter and dirt? Dirt is surprisingly hard to throw out.

wooger posted:

Not really clear on what you want to achieve. You want to remove everything that isn’t grass and just have turf everywhere?

It’s looks pretty nice as-is, and certainly more interesting than lawn right up to a chain link fence - I’d be looking to tidy it up and add to it.

If you did want to get rid of it all though, it’ll be easy to do yourself. Assuming there are no large trees:

Garden fork, spade, strimmer, loppers, saw (hand or reciprocating w/ pruning blade), gloves, maybe a pick axe, some containers to put the waste in for transport, assuming you’re not going to:
a) start a compost heap.
b) get a dumpster

You may have a decent size stump to deal with from that bush, and if you can’t dig it up you’d need to leave it to rot, burn it or get it ground off.

For the time being the plan is to make as much of my property lawnmower-capable as possible, which means converting a good bit to turf. The PO spent 40 hours a week cultivating the various flora, which I'm sure was nice when it was maintained, but we don't want to commit to that. If I can't ride over it in a lawnmower, it means it requires special attention, and I just know that we'll fail at that eventually, at least for now. I don't disagree that a planter area alongside the chainlink fence would be quite pretty, but only if it's not packed to brim with weeds, you know? Since I made that original post, a bunch more of those weeds have already started to sprout in the turf adjacent to the overrun planter.

I ended up talking with a friend that's an avid gardener, and I feel like I've got a battle plan.
For now:
-Spray roundup or some other weed-killing chemical generously on areas overrun with weeds, and areas where weeds are encroaching
-Chainsaw any large bushes down to the ground level
-Begin treating bush stumps with Epsom salts

In the fall:
-Rent a brush cutter (a higher octane string trimmer, basically) to clear out all the overgrown areas
-Rent a tiller and till all the soil where the weeds, etc are growing
-Spread landscape tarp over the tilled areas, then cover with mulch. Idea being, all the leftover organic matter will die and break down over the fall and winter, then in the spring the soil will be ready for grass seed

I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with the pile of bushes and weed stalks that I end up cutting down. I'm tempted to just pile them up in a corner of my lawn, and then in the spring burn it all. As for the dirt, I'll have pseudo-trench from all the small bushes I'm going to end up digging out, so any extra dirt can go there.

I may end up getting a second opinion from a landscaper if I can get one to come to the house, but nobody seems to be hurting for business at the moment, so getting someone out for an evaluation has proven difficult.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I had my side yard and a wooded area cleared for under $3000. They spent two days with a few guys and a small bulldozer. So maybe get a few quotes. The picture with grass is maybe 2/3 of the wooded area after it was cleared,and the picture with the driveway is about 2/3 of that area as well. It has filled in nicely since the time I took the picture.

https://imgur.com/a/Y1oi43f
This looks great

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You'll still need to take your chainsaw to the large bushes and rent a rototiller, but for clearing the brush have you considered renting a herd of goats? Could be cheaper than what you're planning, you won't need to put down a bunch of pesticides, and there wouldn't be any leftover brush. Plus, free fertilizer!

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 5, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

For the time being the plan is to make as much of my property lawnmower-capable as possible, which means converting a good bit to turf. The PO spent 40 hours a week cultivating the various flora, which I'm sure was nice when it was maintained, but we don't want to commit to that. If I can't ride over it in a lawnmower, it means it requires special attention, and I just know that we'll fail at that eventually, at least for now. I don't disagree that a planter area alongside the chainlink fence would be quite pretty, but only if it's not packed to brim with weeds, you know? Since I made that original post, a bunch more of those weeds have already started to sprout in the turf adjacent to the overrun planter.

I ended up talking with a friend that's an avid gardener, and I feel like I've got a battle plan.
For now:
-Spray roundup or some other weed-killing chemical generously on areas overrun with weeds, and areas where weeds are encroaching

What climate are you in? Our front yard is super easy to take care of with just a hedge trimmer once a month (or less) as it's all "California Native." Literally everything can just be hacked down to size by it just walking by. They also use very little water. Around me not having grass in the front yard/part of the back yard literally saves me enough money in water to pay for "mow and blow" style gardeners because it's so loving hot out. 3 guys come by twice a month for $65 spending around an hour doing their thing, often less if there isn't much to do. I'm not just trying to be a tree hugging hippie here, I don't know what kind of artisinal crap the PO put in, but you might save even more money leaving it alone and replacing the persnickety stuff with native things. Our buckwheat didn't get watered for a year, in a drought, where august saw 115F temps. It was all brown. It rained in the winter and it all perked right back up.

I will say: Don't "Liberally" apply glyphosate to anything. A little dab will do ya if you're going to poison everything and kill a bunch of other poo poo in the process. The most permanent way to deal with weeds is to spend the time to rip them out by their roots. They make special tools to do this which make it fast. Mowing them down is going to just re-seed them. Once the turf is in place it should help keep the weeds down.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

There are ways to encourage fairly low-maintenance gardens, which you may be able to get some guidance from your gardener friend about. It might provide a buffer zone from weeds coming in to your lawn from outside the fence, and you can scoot up to the edge on your lawnmower if you’re smart about what edging you pick. A lot of people have decent gardens at a ‘throw a few plants in early in the season’ level of engagement, and they’re not starting off with what sounds like a pretty healthily cultivated plot.

Starting healthy turf from almost scratch will take quite a bit of ongoing work for a couple seasons if you don’t want it to be mostly weeds/crabgrass (or $$$ if you lay down sod).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

For now:

In the fall:
-Rent a brush cutter (a higher octane string trimmer, basically) to clear out all the overgrown areas
-Rent a tiller and till all the soil where the weeds, etc are growing
-Spread landscape tarp over the tilled areas, then cover with mulch. Idea being, all the leftover organic matter will die and break down over the fall and winter, then in the spring the soil will be ready for grass seed

I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with the pile of bushes and weed stalks that I end up cutting down. I'm tempted to just pile them up in a corner of my lawn, and then in the spring burn it all. As for the dirt, I'll have pseudo-trench from all the small bushes I'm going to end up digging out, so any extra dirt can go there.

I may end up getting a second opinion from a landscaper if I can get one to come to the house, but nobody seems to be hurting for business at the moment, so getting someone out for an evaluation has proven difficult.

This looks great

Crazy thought: instead of spending a bunch of effort making your garden a featureless grass plain, maybe just spend the money hiring a gardener to maintain the bits you can’t. I’m sure it’s not 40 hours of work a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Started on the shed build, prepping the ground

We'll be filling in gravel (for the draining properties) and leveling, that will be the base for the foundation, as per this plan. I will also put a layer of insulation under the cast concrete base which is not pictured.

Cat doesn't seem to be afraid of heavy machinery.