Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like there was some book or other webcomic whether the author had a tongue in cheek complaint about how far things have moved since they first started writing.

El Goonish Shive. The comic is still in the late 90s, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
You just made me remember mega tokyo and I dare not check to see if it still exists and if it's still taking place in the same 5 day period of like 2003

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like there was some book or other webcomic whether the author had a tongue in cheek complaint about how far things have moved since they first started writing. I know Asimov had a forward in one of his Foundation books about how the science mistakes were because new discoveries hadn't happened yet when he first started writing and joked about that, but that's a different category.

Warren Ellis wrote at one point about how the jumped-up cell phones he gave the operatives in Global Frequency were absolutely science fiction in the first issue, but ended up being old hat by the twelfth.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Wolfsheim posted:

You just made me remember mega tokyo and I dare not check to see if it still exists and if it's still taking place in the same 5 day period of like 2003

I'll make this as clear as I can- Megatokyo is still running, the story is on day twelve or so, and everything wrong with it is still happening, possibly worse.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I actually like Megatokyo since it delivers in its central premise and I think people that are hard on it are still in the early 2000's mindset when it was trendy to hate on webcomic artists in lieu of developing their own interests.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

I actually like Megatokyo since it delivers in its central premise and I think people that are hard on it are still in the early 2000's mindset when it was trendy to hate on webcomic artists in lieu of developing their own interests.

Is its central premise to suck really, really slowly?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Post poste posted:

El Goonish Shive. The comic is still in the late 90s, I think.

"EGS takes place in a different universe in the year 20XX" --https://www.egscomics.com/comic/party-171

(yes, it's 171 pages on in a "party" arc that mostly consists of people sitting on a couch and expositing at each other so that everyone is caught up on the plot)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

trucutru posted:

Is its central premise to suck really, really slowly?

No? These sort of bad faith criticisms are basically in the same category of bad faith criticisms that happened to Twilight where it's more about jumping uncritically onto a moving bandwagon of cthonic shifting goalposts than actually being interested in good faith in depth analysis and more about the nihilistic worship of toxic negativity of hating things for the sake of hating things and dissing on people who care like your the writers of south park and people should have honestly outgrown it by now.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of old comics, anyone else remember Real Life Comics? It came up across my twitter feed yesterday and there are some changes going on which are, unexpected, but I am here for.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Manuel Calavera posted:

Speaking of old comics, anyone else remember Real Life Comics? It came up across my twitter feed yesterday and there are some changes going on which are, unexpected, but I am here for.

I bookmarked it to read later after seeing this pop up in my twitter feed. :D

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Raenir Salazar posted:

No? These sort of bad faith criticisms are basically in the same category of bad faith criticisms that happened to Twilight where it's more about jumping uncritically onto a moving bandwagon of cthonic shifting goalposts than actually being interested in good faith in depth analysis and more about the nihilistic worship of toxic negativity of hating things for the sake of hating things and dissing on people who care like your the writers of south park and people should have honestly outgrown it by now.

I wish I could say this was the most pompous, pseudo-intellectual take on "OMG YOU'RE JUST A BUNCH OF HATERS" I've ever read, but we both know that's not the case.

It's ok to like bad things. I like a lot of very bad things as well. Acknowledge that "Megatokyo is bad" has been the consensus for 15-odd years, and that it's on you to explain why you're the exception in enjoying it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't dislike Megatokyo because it was 'trendy' or whatever, I read that comic for probably five years, I bought the first three volumes, and then I gradually grew to dislike the characters and plot all on my lonesome.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Raenir Salazar posted:

No? These sort of bad faith criticisms

Love to cry about bad faith arguments after flopping down my stance of "Everyone that criticizes this is only doing it cause it's cool to dislike it"

Buddy, the percentage of people online right now that know what Megatokyo even is, let alone the amount of people actively talking about it, is so loving tiny. Nobody is doing that poo poo for clout.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Manuel Calavera posted:

Holy poo poo. Welcome to the club, "Greg!!" Yesterday's comic was way more on-the-nose than I was expected. The revelation there is almost the same one that finally broke me. Mine was a little bit closer to "I'd rather be ugly than dead," but still...

Too many feelings here to properly process. Also, even though I myself am trans, I just realized I don't know the proper pronouns to use for someone who has decided they're transitioning, but has not yet told everyone their new name or preferred pronouns going forward. Using "they" of course is the easy call on the pronoun front, but it feels so disrespectful to still use Greg. I suppose that is still their name for the time being, though...

Gosh, this is so exciting. And scary.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

oobey posted:

Holy poo poo. Welcome to the club, "Greg!!" Yesterday's comic was way more on-the-nose than I was expected. The revelation there is almost the same one that finally broke me. Mine was a little bit closer to "I'd rather be ugly than dead," but still...

Too many feelings here to properly process. Also, even though I myself am trans, I just realized I don't know the proper pronouns to use for someone who has decided they're transitioning, but has not yet told everyone their new name or preferred pronouns going forward. Using "they" of course is the easy call on the pronoun front, but it feels so disrespectful to still use Greg. I suppose that is still their name for the time being, though...

Gosh, this is so exciting. And scary.

If you don't care about being spoiled on it, the author's new name is listed in the wikipedia article for Real Life Comics.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

But what if it really, really sucks? Would that still be a bad faith criticism?

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

W.T. Fits posted:

If you don't care about being spoiled on it, the author's new name is listed in the wikipedia article for Real Life Comics.

Beautiful. Thanks.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Love to cry about bad faith arguments after flopping down my stance of "Everyone that criticizes this is only doing it cause it's cool to dislike it"

Buddy, the percentage of people online right now that know what Megatokyo even is, let alone the amount of people actively talking about it, is so loving tiny. Nobody is doing that poo poo for clout.

To be fair though it is extremely cool to dislike a comic that has been stagnant artistically and story-wise for years.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I remember reading Megatokyo when I was in High School for a while and generally liking it, but then eventually falling off of it since it kind of completely lost control of its plot and I couldn't follow what was going on very ell or why I should care about half of it, especially since it decided to abandon most of the comedy aspect in favor of the plot. I think I also remember it updating pretty slowly, which almost certainly wouldn't help matters.

Might try re-reading it at some point and judge how my taste was when I was a teenager.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Who What Now posted:

To be fair though it is extremely cool to dislike a comic that has been stagnant artistically and story-wise for years.

So, it’d be like a Twinkie of a webcomic? Empty calories that are familiar and slightly comforting?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oobey posted:

Beautiful. Thanks.

She's also posted it on her Twitter, the @ of which I forget but can probably be found via the RLC Twitter account. I legit haven't thought of the comic since, like, 2012 or so? After some hiatus. But I saw the tweet going around, and I'm very familiar with Kat (the tweet quoted in the comic) and very proud of her and what she's done. And being incredibly vocal and just an all around rad young lady.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Man I haven't thought about RLC but good on them. I don't know what any of the proper terms are but I'm glad to see they're taking steps towards being who they are

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Does the one guy in megatokyo still speak l337

AnoHito posted:

I remember reading Megatokyo when I was in High School for a while and generally liking it, but then eventually falling off of it since it kind of completely lost control of its plot and I couldn't follow what was going on very ell or why I should care about half of it, especially since it decided to abandon most of the comedy aspect in favor of the plot. I think I also remember it updating pretty slowly, which almost certainly wouldn't help matters.

Might try re-reading it at some point and judge how my taste was when I was a teenager.

I thought about doing this with Bob And George and then instead decided it was better not to know

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hey, Sluggy Freelance is still around.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Manuel Calavera posted:

She's also posted it on her Twitter, the @ of which I forget but can probably be found via the RLC Twitter account. I legit haven't thought of the comic since, like, 2012 or so? After some hiatus. But I saw the tweet going around, and I'm very familiar with Kat (the tweet quoted in the comic) and very proud of her and what she's done. And being incredibly vocal and just an all around rad young lady.

Got ya covered :)

https://twitter.com/maegodhavemercy/status/1277497716440887297

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gross they like Pepsi.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

i have no idea what real life comics is about but i'm sold on following this plotline instantly

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

This is really really nice and I otherwise would never have known, thank you OotS thread.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Um, holy loving poo poo. Real Life was my literal intro to webcomics back at like 17 years old or whatever. I remember dropping it pretty early on, something to do with thinking the author’s getting wound up about the Grey Davis recall was off putting, but I had absolutely no idea it was still going on, let alone what sort of journey they were going through. I think I’m gonna have to dig into the archives a bit, but thanks for sharing, that’s super cool and I’m thrilled for her.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

Gross they like Pepsi.

She's liked Pepsi since the start of the comic. Like it's been a Thing. Coke and Pepsi are just soda and don't care about your brand loyalty.

Also yeah these tweets have got me back following RLC.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wolfsheim posted:

Does the one guy in megatokyo still speak l337

What does your heart tell j00?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Manuel Calavera posted:

She's liked Pepsi since the start of the comic. Like it's been a Thing. Coke and Pepsi are just soda and don't care about your brand loyalty.

Also yeah these tweets have got me back following RLC.

I was making a joke, I haven't read RLC in over ten years and really only remember Ultima Online and I think at one point she gave her friends mechs?

But Pepsi is gross :colbert:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Wow. I absolutely had no idea that this month would give me a reason to care about Real Life Comics for the first time in fifteen years.

Well, happy pride month, Mae!

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Len posted:

But Pepsi is gross :colbert:

The normal versions of both drinks are good, but diet Coke is vile whereas diet Pepsi is fine

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
That is very cool for Mae!

Question, is El Goonish Shiv considered a comic that explores transgenderism? From what I remember it seems like it, but it played so fast and loose with the powers its main characters had I'm unsure if it was a serious look into the subject or the author's version of his character's super powers.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

trucutru posted:

What does your heart tell j00?

Is there a reason why you've only stopped posting in the stars citizens thread to post in this thread, to only talk poo poo about a different webcomic than the one this thread is ostensibly about?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

i have no idea what real life comics is about but i'm sold on following this plotline instantly

It's been ... weird-as-gently caress. She* started back in 99 with "let's put my friends in a comic" and over something like 15 years of actual activity since, it's been quirky, geeky, charming, occasionally laugh-out-loud funny, quotable, self-indulgent (that's part of the charm), ref-heavy (so is that, although I'm glad she toned it down a little after the first few years.) and all round decent content. Not great, not epic, but never really bad.

(*: Is it correct to 'backdate' her new pronouns and name? I notice someone's already been at the wiki and tvtropes pages with a find/replace ... )

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer

sfwarlock posted:

(*: Is it correct to 'backdate' her new pronouns and name? I notice someone's already been at the wiki and tvtropes pages with a find/replace ... )

Yes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Donkringel posted:

Question, is El Goonish Shiv considered a comic that explores transgenderism? From what I remember it seems like it, but it played so fast and loose with the powers its main characters had I'm unsure if it was a serious look into the subject or the author's version of his character's super powers.

It started as the latter and gradually moved toward the former. There's still a lot of nonsense about magic and aliens and and stuff, so it can be largely seen as wish fulfillment that the regular trans characters that were introduced (regular as in, they're trans and don't have magic powers to change their bodies accordingly) have been given magic powers to change their bodies accordingly pretty quickly after their introduction. Several of the main characters have been canonically established as genderfluid.

sfwarlock posted:

It's what's done generally, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Donkringel posted:

That is very cool for Mae!

Read this strip.

https://www.egscomics.com/comic/2014-07-01