Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I thought it wasn't actually any more effective than the steroid that the NHS trial found?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I used to live in East Finchley (Fortis Green) back in Maggie Thatcher's days. It was fun being in the Labour Party back then. (It was a hot bed of sexual liaisons). We put some idiot called Lawrence Spiegel up against Maggie. Contemporaries were Frances Crook (of Howard League for Penal Reform fame), Rudi Vis & Jacqui Suffling (before they married).
Trying to remember where the Poseidon was (if it existed when I lived there!). There was a pub down near the tube called The White (Hart? Lion?) we used to go to and the one we used to hang out in after Labour party meetings was The Windsor Castle.

Poseidon is on the High Road, about 2 mins walk up from where you turn right on to Fortis Green. It's changed a Hell of a lot in the ~5yrs I've been here. Madden's Bar is still there, if that was a thing when you were here. Although they're trying to sell it I think.
ed: The Windsor Castle is still there, as is the Labour HQ. Cheapest Pub by far so I hope Lockdown doesn't kill it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bessantj posted:

I liked the one he did of the lib dem bird landing in the tory tree.

Oh him! I was actually thinking of DeepHurting :lol:

But i liked Azza's cartoons too

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I thought it wasn't actually any more effective than the steroid that the NHS trial found?

Either way healthcare patents suck and should be illegal.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Oh him! I was actually thinking of DeepHurting :lol:

But i liked Azza's cartoons too

Me too. They were entertaining and occasionally pretty insightful and cutting. Eh, what can you do.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

StarkingBarfish posted:

Yeah sorry, I know you weren't meaning that at all it was just too grim not to mention. Corbyn et al's attempts to 'handle' the issue were from the right place imo- it's clear from the lab AS report that any good faith work they put into tackling AS was headed off by the neolibs. Being firmer at calling out the bullshit would have been nice but I can't see it getting them very far without also defeating the attempts of the wreckers within.

Yeah, agreed. He really needed to be far more ruthless with purging the internal party machine than he was, bad headlines be damned.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Different things. This is the antiviral that cuts the recovery time of non-icu infections.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Goldskull posted:

Poseidon is on the High Road, about 2 mins walk up from where you turn right on to Fortis Green. It's changed a Hell of a lot in the ~5yrs I've been here. Madden's Bar is still there, if that was a thing when you were here. Although they're trying to sell it I think.
ed: The Windsor Castle is still there, as is the Labour HQ. Cheapest Pub by far so I hope Lockdown doesn't kill it.

Lol, another place where my wife worked in the past.. (Maddens that is. It’s a shithole with an owner massively on the take. Avoid!)

Personally I think the best bar in Finchley is the Bohemia brewpub in North Finch, If only because it was taken over by an anarchist collective for a while a few years back. Great food and some really good beers.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Camrath posted:

Lol, another place where my wife worked in the past.. (Maddens that is. It’s a shithole with an owner massively on the take. Avoid!)

Personally I think the best bar in Finchley is the Bohemia brewpub in North Finch, If only because it was taken over by an anarchist collective for a while a few years back. Great food and some really good beers.

The Stag isn't bad, albeit lacking for barstaff that actually notice customers instead of endlessly walking out of the bar to do nothing in particular. I don't mind Maddens, not been in there a while. I avoid Gertie Brownes like the plague, & the beer in the White Lion is shite.

Good mate of mine was head brewer at the Bohemia until last year. It's alright, I guess London Brewing Co. took it over from the anarchists then. I have issues giving any money to LBCo. from a design job I was doing for them about 5 years back, because one of the directors is a massive jerk who at the time was filled with just divorced energy. He got bought out though, and now has the Arnos Arms by well, Arnos Grove. And no matter how hard he re-decorates that place will never not look like an 80s Harvester pub full of families on their way somewhere.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Goldskull posted:

Don't remember Madden's at all. There was a pub just a bit north of Fortis Green (opposite side of the road).

I just remembered, Lawrence Spiegel lead a chant of 'fascist scum' at the 1987 count. Maggie Thatcher beat him in 1983. He got in a bit of trouble with the local Labour party because he made a leaflet specially for the Jewish electorate (he was Jewish) without any consultation and leafleted them separately. I don't recall what was in the leaflet or if it was necessarily bad - it was the fact it was done with no consultation that got him in trouble.

https://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/106888

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

So to get creative you'd use things that you knew were distinct and a paperback press using pulp paper could handle, so you'd get things like:

Which some of those could be better, that's :effort: on my part

it's very :pcgaming: :ukchipshop:

but yeah that's way better in some ways, but it also might be hard to see for some people! So like you'd go for careful choices about which areas are adjacent, avoid small detail, use colours as well... a lot of thought can go into this stuff and most people won't notice (including me)

I don't think this will really demonstrate what Owl was talking about, but I think it's interesting at least.
So when you have a normal RGB image, there are three channels, one for each colour, and they basically say how much red each pixel in the image gets, how much green etc. You can look at them as a black and white image where black is no red, and white is all the red. By tinting them and merging them all together you get the full colour image

But you can represent that in other ways too, and one of them is Lab colour. I'm not going to get deep into colour science here or anything, but broadly the human visual system is based on detecting overall light intensity (light vs dark), and sensitivity to red, green and blue light

like they're not centred *exactly* on red green and blue, but that gives your brain enough info to tell 'where' the colour is on the spectrum. If the red cone is detecting 50% intensity (halfway up), it's either 610nm or 510nm, on one side of the peak or the other. And you can tell which side by looking at how much the green cone is registering - if it's nothing much, then it must be 610nm and your brain goes "orange!" If the green is wilding, then it must be 510nm which is more of a cyan

So your brain relies on this opponency between red and green to work out where the colour is on the spectrum, what wavelength is actually is. And as you might have guessed, if your red or green receptors don't work too well... that's not gonna work out, your brain doesn't have the info to differentiate, so two different wavelengths both generate the same response. If your green receptors always say zero, 50% red will look the same whether it's orange or cyan

anyhoo Lab colour is based on that opponency - you have a light/dark channel (lightness), the a channel is red/green (white is full red, black is full green, can't be both right) and the b channel is blue/yellow. So it represents how braines perceive colours when all the rods and cones work well. Here's some graf which has a lot of colours and no outlines

L is top right, a is bottom left and b on the right. You can see how the lightness channel is totally readable, our eyes are really sensitive to brightness levels so we get really good contrast, and that's where all the real detail is. You don't need the colour at all.

The contrast in the colour channels, on the other hand, is shite - there are places with different colours in the original where you can't really see any difference, or it's really hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. Usually if you look at the other colour channel you get more info, because sometimes there's not much b/y difference but there's a fair amount of r/g. Unless you can't see r/g of course... in which case imagine it's a flat grey, no information at all

not really anything to do with anything, but I thought it might be interesting especially since a bunch of people are realising this is a thing they have!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I don't know if it got mentioned amongst the STV stuff, but the NEC also voted to hold elections "this summer" according to an email I got from momentum. If you're holding your nose and continuing membership until you've voted then a maximum of 3 more monthly subs payments until it's done and dusted one way or another

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

it's very :pcgaming: :ukchipshop:

but yeah that's way better in some ways, but it also might be hard to see for some people! So like you'd go for careful choices about which areas are adjacent, avoid small detail, use colours as well... a lot of thought can go into this stuff and most people won't notice (including me)
Yeah the real guides have you laying that poo poo out 2-3 times to make sure you've not got two very similar patterns next to one another, and I shouldv'e used the fine lines for things that are mostly smaller areas and the wide lines for things mostly larger and so on, but it's illustrative of a lot of the maps I saw as a kid that are much more accessible than some of the poor accessibility garbage you see on the modern internet for even actual important maps.

I can't remember the name of the material and it's on the tip of my tongue and annoying me, but it came on sheets of cellulose with a recurring printers' pattern of dots or lines or letters, and would be cut to shape by hand with a scalpel and overlaid on the line drawing to make the image, so that must have been a loving pain to do multiple times, although I guess better than the earlier method of doing it by hand.

I also remember some African cartoonists using the same material to represent skin melanation in an abstract manner without falling into the UK cartoonist trap of "being a loving racist" (hi Mac) so it has other historical significance.

Lab colour post is cool, similar to how they made colour TV that still worked on a monochrome set before digital.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

yeah black and white printing is like forced accessibility - nobody can see colour because we can't print it so we gotta come up with something else! Which is kinda nice because then the effort will definitely be put in

I think I know the stuff you mean, but I might be confusing it with something else you can use to do an art. That's cool about the cartoons though, especially the actual work involved instead of getting a black marker out

One Lab thing you might enjoy is that because it separates colour from lightness, you can have an infinitely dark, vivid yellow :science: these are the colours the government DON'T WANT YOU TO SEE

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can see some moving lines so I assume this is doing the wavering colour thing but as I can't see any of the colours changing I have to trust it looks weird to other people :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Okay, because of the ongoing forums thing with the transferring of SA LLC to Jeffrey of YOSPOS, not yet concluded, and secondarily Leicester (but not Leics) entering some second lockdown poo poo, and thirdly the end of 500 page Brexit era monthly threads, this is now a Summer thread :sun:

We'll see how that goes as NEC election bullshit happens.

baka kaba posted:

That's cool about the cartoons though, especially the actual work involved instead of getting a black marker out
I'll see if I can find some examples later. It was definitely very modern in a Stan S. Stanman way, but the intent was there to be not lazily racist/colorist so on balance a good thing.

baka kaba posted:

One Lab thing you might enjoy is that because it separates colour from lightness, you can have an infinitely dark, vivid yellow :science: these are the colours the government DON'T WANT YOU TO SEE
I will see it, just because Priti Patel doesn't want me to. :fut:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ I was thinking of a ren and stimpy episode with some TV guy in a tartan suit that was like a hole in spacetime

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, agreed. He really needed to be far more ruthless with purging the internal party machine than he was, bad headlines be damned.

I feel like there were two ways it could have gone - either purge and :simpsonsussr: or make it a member-driven, leftist surge that gradually and democratically shifted the party leftwards, which was obviously what he was going for. But to make that happen, you need to make sure that leftist base is energised, and that you have some kind of succession plan - not necessarily one anointed person, but at least a vibrant group of figures ready to step up and continue the fight

Which is all the more important if you think you could lose, because people need to come back from that. And RLB is great but she never felt like her heart was really in it, the leadership campaign was really flat (from all of them) and I think that's why so many people just didn't bother voting. That apathy is what carried Starmer to victory in the end, it wasn't a huge shift in support or a deluge of entryists boosting his numbers

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
There were also a lot of traumatised lefties who voted Starmer (or Nandy) because they wanted a quiet life in the media and an end to the infighting. The left ultimately didn't do enough to get them on board with a long term plan

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

I can see some moving lines so I assume this is doing the wavering colour thing but as I can't see any of the colours changing I have to trust it looks weird to other people :v:

I can see them wibbling a little, it's mostly within the different bands (or that's where it's most noticeable) and not the edges so much. I wouldn't say they're changing exactly though

I wonder if people who have more trouble seeing the colour are more susceptible to noise - like if some cones don't register but others do very slightly, maybe that variation is enough to be visible where it would be lost to people with full colour vision who are getting a lot more info. Like how you can kinda see subtle noise in the dark, it's not just pure black (well not for me anyway)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Something... something's wrong. Something's wrong with the UKMT.

Why has the name changed? SUMMER?

Where's the new thread

Guava what have you done, you fool, you'll doom us all!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Colour blindness I believe does generally give you slightly better vision of shades because you get used to focusing on that more. I don't think it's a physical adaptation as much as a learned one. I can't see any colour changes but I can see the edges of the sections movng around because of the gif compression.

I have a constant faint noise in my vision but I figured everyone had that.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Guavanaut posted:

I can't remember the name of the material and it's on the tip of my tongue and annoying me, but it came on sheets of cellulose with a recurring printers' pattern of dots or lines or letters, and would be cut to shape by hand with a scalpel and overlaid on the line drawing to make the image, so that must have been a loving pain to do multiple times, although I guess better than the earlier method of doing it by hand.

I think that's Letraset Screentone

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screentone

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Someone posted on twitter that 300k have left Labour. No indications of how they know this.

I'll have to see if I can catch one of the comrades down the allotments in the next few days (assuming he's still in the party! I tell you if they've lost him, they've lost a LOT of shoe rubber pounding the streets, doing the street stalls and so on - not that there have been any stalls for a while - and see if he can enlighten me.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That does look almost exactly like what it was, but my memory says it was called something different, at least in Southern Africa at the time. I can't recall exactly what but if it was different it was probably some petty trademark bullshit kicked off by a racist regime.

Ms Adequate posted:

I have given the Fathomking an Element of Dawn. Nothing bad can come of this.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Ms Adequate posted:

Something... something's wrong. Something's wrong with the UKMT.

Why has the name changed? SUMMER?

Where's the new thread

The concept of months is a filthy European invention, we must abandon our "roman" calendars and create a new one based on true british heroes. welcome to the 1st of Coulson

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Someone posted on twitter that 300k have left Labour. No indications of how they know this.

I'll have to see if I can catch one of the comrades down the allotments in the next few days (assuming he's still in the party! I tell you if they've lost him, they've lost a LOT of shoe rubber pounding the streets, doing the street stalls and so on - not that there have been any stalls for a while - and see if he can enlighten me.)

It would be hilarious to go from the largest party in Europe to Big Lib Dems

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So how did that whole Brexit thing go?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gatts posted:

It's going great for at least one family living in France (lengthy thread):

https://twitter.com/archer_rs/status/1277529054829318150?s=20

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Lengthy and very real thread

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Awesome. Awesome to the max. But if true.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Gatts posted:

Kinda surprised there isn't more chatter . . . well, anywhere . . . about the extension deadline being missed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They've taken every opportunity to say they wouldn't extend. The most likely outcome is no deal, barring some miraculous last minute thing the EU is willing to draw up. At this point it seems unlikely that the UK will even bother to negotiate anything of its own volition.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

saw some chat about novara itt earlier, thought this was interesting

https://twitter.com/Louis_Allday/status/1277932816341360641?s=19

i don't have a dog in the hunt i just figure this is more evidence of how they're kind of directionless after the bubble burst in december. i can see bastani going off to worship the aliens or something.

gh0stpinballa fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 1, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Kreeblah posted:

Kinda surprised there isn't more chatter . . . well, anywhere . . . about the extension deadline being missed.

UK formally told EU they wouldn't be asking for an extension a couple of weeks ago.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not sure I would necessarily suggest that assuming china did one more kind of atrocity on flimsy evidence is particularly indicative of being directionless.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

they've always kind of sucked on foreign policy like much of the UK left, i agree. but without a labour party to tell people to vote for they're drifting into this kind of careless rhetoric more often. i.e. they are a bit directionless, a bit listless.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm definitely not sure that "the UK should not be dealing with Chinese surveillance companies because China is a genocidal hellhole" is really a bad foreign policy take or that it is particularly undermined because one of the numerous complaints about them might not be true.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Not sure I would necessarily suggest that assuming china did one more kind of atrocity on flimsy evidence is particularly indicative of being directionless.

IIRC, the report is good, well-sourced and substantive for the most part, using public data and verified documents from the Chinese bureaucracy itself. It's just that the dude making it is a loving weirdo.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

I'm definitely not sure that "the UK should not be dealing with Chinese surveillance companies because *China is a genocidal hellhole*" is really a bad foreign policy take

ah, i get it now. good day to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was under the impression that the idea china was performing ethnic cleansing against the Uyghurs was pretty accepted by basically everyone who isnt a tankie?