Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjDUUU-Z-aI

i feel like, well, with ALL conservatives studies, there may be more to it than what they initially claim. i mean, the thing that i found curious was that, it wasn't like these black students at ivy leagues were FORCED to go to those schools. presumably they chose to apply on their own. and presumably, if they felt they could even apply to such places to begin with, they had a pretty good resume and enough confidence in their abilities to do so.

maybe the numbers sowell cited were correct, but there seems to be some more context that is kind of important?

Imagine a hypothetical society where the prevailing belief is, "Red haired people are inherently criminal! Look at all the red haired people in jail!" Well, what link is there between red hair and crime? (there's none). If studies showed that there's no correlation between hair color and crime, then the jailed redheads is actually proof of the biases and prejudices of a society that condemns redheads unjustly. If you say, "But redheads perform worse in schools! Earn less in jobs! Die younger!", all of that is in fact an indictment of schools and jobs and society - not "proof" that redheads are dumb (because the actual proof says there's no correlation), but proof that people are out to get them. It's the illusion of an argument, made by evil fuckers with axes to grind.

If black people struggle in higher learning institutions, it's the fault of the institutions for being awful, because black people are as smart as any other race. We know they're as smart as any other race because of genetic studies, because of double-blind tests where they hide names on resumes, because of any of a hundred other instances of actual science. Conservatives make these dogshit arguments because they have dogshit beliefs that can't be validated in any honest way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Citing Thomas Sowell is an own-goal but Owens isn't the brightest bulb.

It's not true of course:

quote:

In fact, most of the research on the mismatch question points in the opposite direction. In our 2009 book, William Bowen, Michael McPherson, and I found that students were most likely to graduate by attending the most selective institution that would admit them. This finding held regardless of student characteristics—better or worse prepared, black or white, rich or poor. Most troubling was the fact that many well-prepared students “undermatch” by going to a school that is not demanding enough, and are less likely to graduate as a result. Other prior research has found that disadvantaged students benefit more from attending a higher quality college than their more advantaged peers.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/are-minority-students-harmed-by-affirmative-action/

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've pointed out before how conservatives always seem to need to have their own versions of things (Reaganbook and poo poo like that. So I guess now there's something called Parler that is some kind of conservative Twitter?

First I've heard of it but not surprised.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BiggerBoat posted:

I've pointed out before how conservatives always seem to need to have their own versions of things (Reaganbook and poo poo like that. So I guess now there's something called Parler that is some kind of conservative Twitter?

Because Gab wasn't far right enough?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

If you enjoy people making fake accounts for prominent Republicans and shitposting until they get banned, then Parler might be for you!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjDUUU-Z-aI

i was listening to this debate between marc lamont hill and *hurls* candace owens. MLH did a pretty good job overall pushing back against candace's dumbness, imo. but there was one part i'd like to know more about. at one point, they're talking about affirmative action, and candace brings up a study by thomas sowell that shows black students that got admitted to ivy league schools did much more poorly while they were taking classes in those schools than white students were. if they went to less presitgious and demanding universities, they would have been fine, but apparently they were "mismatched", she/sowell claims.

i feel like, well, with ALL conservatives studies, there may be more to it than what they initially claim. i mean, the thing that i found curious was that, it wasn't like these black students at ivy leagues were FORCED to go to those schools. presumably they chose to apply on their own. and presumably, if they felt they could even apply to such places to begin with, they had a pretty good resume and enough confidence in their abilities to do so.

maybe the numbers sowell cited were correct, but there seems to be some more context that is kind of important?

I would wager that they're comparing white students from high socioeconomic status families that got very high SAT/ACT scores and attended very high end high schools (because those are the kind of white kids that go to Ivy League schools) to black students that benefited from Affirmative Action style programs primarily being drawn from the best performers at underperforming public schools that serve low socioeconomic status families. There would be a huge culture shock and potentially a large initial knowledge gap for the latter group.

That may well result in a large difference in terms of grades and the like, but taken in conjunction with the results of that Brookings study quoted above ("Other prior research has found that disadvantaged students benefit more from attending a higher quality college than their more advantaged peers.") and you can conclude that Owens is being deceptive by pointing at grades rather than actual gains in knowledge or life outcomes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Because Gab wasn't far right enough?

Gab was banned from the last payment processor recently and is facing financial collapse, so Don Bongos bought a stake in Parler and is trying to get people to adopt it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm a fake phonenumber away from rolling up Devin Nunes

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tesseraction posted:

Gab was banned from the last payment processor recently and is facing financial collapse, so Don Bongos bought a stake in Parler and is trying to get people to adopt it.

Nazi-FrogTwitter was so fash they can't get payments through now? Imagine my absolute shock. :allears:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

HootTheOwl posted:

I may or may not do this, but I'll only ask about my cow.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Tesseraction posted:

This is a clear violation of their First Amendment(pbuh) rights! The government should force the payment processor to accept their payments! Stop deplatforming of conservatives NOW!!!!!11!11! :byodame:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

greazeball posted:

If you enjoy people making fake accounts for prominent Republicans and shitposting until they get banned, then Parler might be for you!

Makes me long for old days with goon-rushing ReganBook or Freedombook whatever the gently caress it was.

These snowflakes really need their safe spaces, don't they?

It's just so god damned dumb. They cry about free speech and censorship one minute then bitch about talk about the free market being able to solve everything - as if FB, Twitter or You Name It weren't privately owned companies. Didn't some crazy women handcuff herself to Twitter HW or something? Loomer?

I think the whole disgusting thing speaks to these people's fear and how scared they are to venture outside of their echo chamber. I borrowed a company van yesterday and, sure enough, radio was on AM talk radio station. They listen to this ALL DAY. I don't know why they think that advertising driven "information" is more believable and valid than even something like NPR but they're a weird bunch of people. I'll cop to mainly posting here and maybe staying in a bit of an echo chamber myself but I can't convince myself it's the same thing and all that "both sides" bullshit. I honestly think it's the main reason so many of them enjoy church so much.

Not to get on a religion derail or anything.

HootTheOwl posted:

Dibs on Dora the Conservative Explorer.

Actually, on second thought, let the original goon who did that take up that mantle.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 30, 2020

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
“Only the Republican Party can protect the white race your way of life.”

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1278118574796701696?s=21

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Citing Thomas Sowell is an own-goal but Owens isn't the brightest bulb.

It's not true of course:

https://www.brookings.edu/research/are-minority-students-harmed-by-affirmative-action/

very interesting. i figured she was full of poo poo. thanks.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

DukeDuke posted:

speaking of which, i was watching a video of vaush going over a video of that Rising show with krystal ball and saagar enjeti (sp?) responding to that tucker clip. and it's like the perfect example of some "anti-establishment" dem being a useful idiot for the right. in that video, vaush makes a great point (which i noticed too) where throughout the entire thing, while ball pushes back a little bit, most of it is just her complaining about dems doing symbolic gestures like renaming/taking down confederate buildings/monuments without making fundamental, structural changes. saagar, who is supposed to be a "rightwing populist" agrees with ball and says that the corporate right is the same way (immensely loving stupid comment, btw), but here's the kicker: unlike ball, saagar still directs the audience to vote for trump and support those very republicans he's complaining about, whereas ball just throws her hands up and says "a pox on both your houses!" and leaves it at that. she also said some REALLY yikes-y comments about how the left was exaggerating how bad trump would be if he was elected, and because her life is barely effected, trump must not be as dangerous as the hysterical lefties made him out to be. it's a particularly slimy tactic, acting like you're the only one who's above it all, knows what the REAL big picture priorities are, and also if trump gets re-elected, aw well :shrug:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DukeDuke posted:

It's cool that we've seen this cycle where advertisers drop Carlson for saying fash garbage, wait a few weeks for everyone to forget, then resume advertising only for us to repeat the cycle a month or two later. I wish someone would call them out on this bullshit

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What's the uniform for white trash nazi batguy, anyway?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FilthyImp posted:

What's the uniform for white trash nazi batguy, anyway?

A Pepe the Frog mask and New Balance sneakers while carrying a Papa Johns pizza box.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It's cool that we've seen this cycle where advertisers drop Carlson for saying fash garbage, wait a few weeks for everyone to forget, then resume advertising only for us to repeat the cycle a month or two later. I wish someone would call them out on this bullshit

Is advertising money even relevant to the show at this point? I think that if it ever gets to the point where they can't sell any advertising, right wing billionaires will just fund their propaganda machine directly.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

DukeDuke posted:

"vote for us if you're scared of everything"

"only WE can protect YOU from THEM"

Nah, not fascist at all. No sir.

EDIT

Also, Rush had that British fellow that subs for him a lot on today when I made myself check it out during lunch so hopefully he doesn't feel very well.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 1, 2020

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My mother has informed me that protesters are going to do something especially destructive on the 4th of July. Does anyone know a source for this one, and if so, whether they were more specific than that?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Well, obviously Antifa super soldiers hate America and the freedoms we love, so doing some Soros-funded terror on America's birthday is in order.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I hear it involves tea and a shipping port.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I hear Antifa has gathered tons of explosives and they plan to set them all off over the course of Saturday night. The explosions might even light up the night sky, look out!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1278851316887011328

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
* in extremely Ralph Wiggum voice*

I saw AOC and antifa in the closet and they were making babies and I saw the baby and the baby burned a flag while quoting Marx!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait, what's the story behind this?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I like her using the full n-word but censored.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

I really wonder how grifters like Candace Owens sleep at night.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vichan posted:

Well she literally has brain damage right?

I suppose everyone else just convinces themselves that they're right.
I knew a proto-young republican at college and the dude honestly believes he wasn't ever wrong.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

wait, what's the story behind this?

Some conservative was a huge racist generally but also to her personally, she couldn't say anything because conservatives would automatically take his side and call her a liar and a race baiter, but since someone else finally called him out it's safe for her to come forward too.

A black conservative having to stay quiet about racism directed at her from a conservative does not in any way show that conservatism is super racist

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Vichan posted:

They sleep fine because they don't care. They don't care about what they pretend to believe, they don't care about what you actually believe. They care about power, money, and fame.

Look at how she censored the word. Take out the i. Everyone with a modicum of concern would either not use it at all or censor the end. She doesn't even care about racism because she's literally putting the word all over while saying how wrong it is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wow thanks Candace I wouldn't have known the guy who's pro-Trump is still a racist today.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

She’s going to keep doing that until it’s no longer profitable

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

Countdown until she has a podcast

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1279858659028279304?s=21

Why not just use a different picture?

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/emmaogreen/status/1280137322802151424?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes sadly there is a small group of POC that do the right wing grift and give cover to the racists

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Shocking news here

https://www.thedailybeast.com/right-wing-media-outlets-duped-by-a-middle-east-propaganda-campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/themattdimitri/status/1280166775103950849