Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Warhammer Total War has a lot of issues

What do you mean by this? Based on the Steam numbers both games sold like gangbusters, and I rarely hear anyone say anything bad about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomictown
Apr 3, 2013
Golden Sun is the 2001 version of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
nevermind

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

What do you mean by this? Based on the Steam numbers both games sold like gangbusters, and I rarely hear anyone say anything bad about them.

It sells well because it gets the important Total War stuff right, mainly the overland battles and the "feel" of Warhammer. They've also done a lot of work to improve it.

The actual 4X aspect is pretty weak and the common solution is to mod a lot of the "features" out. The game becomes a slog after turn 50 from all the design decisions that serve to slow progress down.

- There's too many cities and siege battles aren't fun, which you will have to fight because waiting out a city takes far too long even when you are specced for it.

- The AI can easily resettle cities and cheats really obviously, regenerating doomstacks over and over even as they are losing all their cities.

- Your armies will take attrition pretty much all the time and be harassed by enemy heroes constantly.

- Minor ork, beastman, and other roving factions that exist only to slow down your progress and otherwise pose no real threat pop up constantly.

- The public order mechanic is so important that you feel like instead of a war game you are playing Total Public Order. It slows down everything and provides no interesting gameplay to resolve.

- Faction economies and skill trees are wildly imbalanced and overcomplicated, with most choices boiling down to taxes to make public order and attrition problems less crippling.

- Players refer to the Order Tide in vanilla, which is defined as all the dwarf and human factions forming a super alliance of cheating AIs that will eventually roll the entire map. Meanwhile most of the evil factions have problems if you want more than one stack going around and the Chaos invasion is a joke in vanilla.

- Until a very recent patch, Orks were a terrible faction.

- About 5-6 months ago they patched AI turn times to not be staggeringly awful.

- In vanilla your stack composition is not very complicated; your t1 and t2 units are generally trash not worth making unless things are desperate. In my experience you want to lean heavily on a t3 staple unit and then to slowly build your economy to work in more and more t5 super units and then maybe 1-2 heroes in most cases. All low durability, high damage shock units are a terrible return on investment, before long you'll be constantly stopping to replace American Civil War-like troop losses even after victories.

But the big takeaway is you can fix nearly all of this with Steam Workshop mods (yay no third party bullshit or trying to find a readme for a moddb file!) and 4X players are nothing if not stubborn. The game will still be a pretty poor 4X experience but you can play a pretty engrossing fightin' battles game. Sieges are going to get improved by CA soon, the devs really take care of the game.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

atomictown posted:

Golden Sun is the 2001 version of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

Considering MQ is FF for kids and dummies I was pretty embarrassed to be stuck on a puzzle for a good while (forgot you could jump and had to move an ice block or something)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

d3lness posted:

What are you taking about, just go to a retirement home and you'll find plenty of people to play 8th(?) edition with.

if im going to the retirement home to play games with grandpa its going to involve hex grids and little chits with NATO unit icons on them

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

good warhammer critique

I agree with most of this, especially the stuff about the slowdown mechanics. I wish more 4x/Grand Strat/Empire Builder type game developers would realize that it's okay to turn a 40 hour campaign into a 20 hour campaign. Just make those 20 hours very tightly designed and include enough nuance and replayability that I want to jump in for another one.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
This is coming from like weeks back in the thread but just wanted to add something on the GTA railroading discussion.

GTA:SA was probably the last one that allowed flexibility to some degree in how you completed the missions.

I've got a favorite memory of being really stuck on some mission where I needed to chase a dude across all kinds of fences and yards and stuff and just couldn't nail it for some reason.

My wife was watching at the time and was like "why don't you just shoot him in the back, your guy wants to kill him anyway?" and I was like "pft, you fool, you total moron, it clearly says I must chase him" and then I tried just to prove the point and it was instantly Mission Accomplished.

She still doesn't let that one down.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The Butcher posted:

This is coming from like weeks back in the thread but just wanted to add something on the GTA railroading discussion.

GTA:SA was probably the last one that allowed flexibility to some degree in how you completed the missions.

I've got a favorite memory of being really stuck on some mission where I needed to chase a dude across all kinds of fences and yards and stuff and just couldn't nail it for some reason.

My wife was watching at the time and was like "why don't you just shoot him in the back, your guy wants to kill him anyway?" and I was like "pft, you fool, you total moron, it clearly says I must chase him" and then I tried just to prove the point and it was instantly Mission Accomplished.

She still doesn't let that one down.

While this is true, you can see the beginnings of the "one way to complete a mission" bullshit in some of the lazier missions in GTA:SA

Like the one where OG Loc wants you to chase down his boyfriend from prison so no one will find out he's gay. Loc clearly just wants to kill this guy, but your bullets do no damage to him until after you chase him all over town and he stops. Also while you're chasing him it doesn't really matter how fast you go because he will always go a little faster, and if you go kind of slow he will actually stop and wait for you at certain points.

Most missions aren't like that but still I loving hate that mission.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

griftlands seems pretty cool and the art style, while not my favorite, is unique and stands out

that said, because griftlands is pretty cool, can we loving cheese it with the deckbuilding RPG games already? i never played the great grandaddies of the genre but there's still like a million of the fuckers all over the front page of steam. i get it, it seems like a pretty easy genre of game to code but it seems like its all that indie studios release these days

(deep sky derelicts is also very cool)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

remnant: from the ashes looks kind of cool and i'm in a funk and want to play some kind of ridiculous video game

is remnant cool

e: steam tells me it suggested it to me because it is similar to dark souls 3 and fallout 4 which i've played, which is really confusing as someone who has actually played both of those games and cannot imagine many ways they intersect

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Remnant is pretty good but definitely more of a coop shooter than anything else. I'm not sure if it stands up to solo play.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Remnant: From the Ashes is dark souls mixed with a very, very low budget and janky 3rd person shooter. It also has some weird, inexplicable quirks like sections of the game being randomized so you need to beat them then reset their state and hope they have the right stuff this time for whatever you are working towards. I beat the first 1/3rd of the game and it was just bereft of anything to keep me going, and it really doesn't help that "boring browner than brown ruined city+sewers" is the first zone.

It is on gamepass console, not sure if gamepass Pc

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Remnant owns and was my favorite game the year it came out. It's got the shooting of Resident Evil 4, some design elements of Dark Souls, and a Dark Tower inspired story about hopping through worlds. Oddly enough, it reminded me of Warframe a lot too. It's not as good at doing any of the things that its inspirations do, but it's good enough that it makes the combination of them very satisfying. It was clearly made on a budget but I think they clearly sunk all of their money and attention on solid gameplay so it never feels like its reach exceeds its grasp.

As far as the randomization goes, basically every time you get to the point where you would fight a boss, you fight 1 of the 2 bosses that can appear at that point. When you kill a boss, you get an item that you can turn into a unique weapon, and there are alternate ways to kill several of the bosses to get a different item/weapon. This means that if you're a grognard who has to collect every item, you would have to replay certain areas up to 4 times, but it doesn't really matter for the average player because there are plenty of bosses in the game and each weapon for the most part feels very different from the others.

I'd heartily recommend it, I think it's a fantastic example of a medium budget game that focuses on satisfying gameplay and doesn't emphasize its story too much. It's not as inscrutable as Dark Souls' story, but it leaves plenty for you to piece together via inference and I think that's a smart way for a budget game to go.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Barudak posted:

It is on gamepass console, not sure if gamepass Pc

It isn't, at least in Canada. Gamepass has been good to me, but that's one of the ones I'm sad isn't on both.

Rare Replay/Perfect Dark not being on there are the other ones.

I really want to try Remnant, but I'm a single player kinda person and it does seem multiplayer focused.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It sells well because it gets the important Total War stuff right, mainly the overland battles and the "feel" of Warhammer. They've also done a lot of work to improve it.

The actual 4X aspect is pretty weak and the common solution is to mod a lot of the "features" out. The game becomes a slog after turn 50 from all the design decisions that serve to slow progress down.

- There's too many cities and siege battles aren't fun, which you will have to fight because waiting out a city takes far too long even when you are specced for it.

- The AI can easily resettle cities and cheats really obviously, regenerating doomstacks over and over even as they are losing all their cities.

- Your armies will take attrition pretty much all the time and be harassed by enemy heroes constantly.

- Minor ork, beastman, and other roving factions that exist only to slow down your progress and otherwise pose no real threat pop up constantly.

- The public order mechanic is so important that you feel like instead of a war game you are playing Total Public Order. It slows down everything and provides no interesting gameplay to resolve.

- Faction economies and skill trees are wildly imbalanced and overcomplicated, with most choices boiling down to taxes to make public order and attrition problems less crippling.

- Players refer to the Order Tide in vanilla, which is defined as all the dwarf and human factions forming a super alliance of cheating AIs that will eventually roll the entire map. Meanwhile most of the evil factions have problems if you want more than one stack going around and the Chaos invasion is a joke in vanilla.

- Until a very recent patch, Orks were a terrible faction.

- About 5-6 months ago they patched AI turn times to not be staggeringly awful.

- In vanilla your stack composition is not very complicated; your t1 and t2 units are generally trash not worth making unless things are desperate. In my experience you want to lean heavily on a t3 staple unit and then to slowly build your economy to work in more and more t5 super units and then maybe 1-2 heroes in most cases. All low durability, high damage shock units are a terrible return on investment, before long you'll be constantly stopping to replace American Civil War-like troop losses even after victories.

But the big takeaway is you can fix nearly all of this with Steam Workshop mods (yay no third party bullshit or trying to find a readme for a moddb file!) and 4X players are nothing if not stubborn. The game will still be a pretty poor 4X experience but you can play a pretty engrossing fightin' battles game. Sieges are going to get improved by CA soon, the devs really take care of the game.

this is a weird rear end post and i play a lot of total warhammer and seem to be much better than you at it so allow me to rebut

-siege battles are fine, if not more boring compared to earlier games because theyre more simple. they're also trivial to win against garrisons if you bring artillery/siege attacker units which you obviously should

-the ai gets free money on difficulties above normal. if you don't want them to have free money then play on normal. i play on hard because i like the ai having more money because they make more troops for me to kill.

-enemy heroes are very, very easily taken care of by your own heroes, which you should have but you probably don't because youre bad and dont wanna engage with the games mechanics. attrition can also be entirely mitigated for most factions thru army stances so your complaint about it indicates you have very little actual experience with the game.

-minor factions exist to give the player something to kick around and some land to take and level up their lords without getting into long drawn wars with major factions. if they're presenting major speedbumps to you then you are either bad or playing on legendary difficulty (unlikely)

-public order is fantastically easy to manage even on legendary where you have to build like, two public order buildings, maybe, per province and the rebellions you get from low order are also trivial to resolve. it sounds to me like you have once again decided to ignore a mechanic and overextended yourself only to get hosed by something that any player with a single campaign under their belt would deal with easily.

-faction economies arent very diverse but theres factions that literally only make money from fighting and factions that literally only make money from economic buildings or trading so this point is also pretty weak. i don't know what exactly you're expecting from tech trees, maybe something like the pointless unit upgrades youd get in attila. what else would you think tech would do when the two main mechanics are your economy and your army?

-i have 1000 hours in total warhammer 2 and i have never had to worry about an 'order tide,' maybe its something idiot redditors spout because they heard it from someone else. major order factions start nearer to each other than destruction ones so obviously theyre going to ally more. as the game is right now, vampire counts are extremely strong in the campaign as an ai faction and quickly overtake huge portions of the map, as do skaven and dark elves. orcs do too but thats a recent development.

-yeah orcs loving blew chunks but thats really a testament to how well CA modeled the game after TT balance. basically before vampirates, faction tiers were pretty much the same as tabletop, with elf bullshit on top, empire in the middle, and shitters like brets orcs and beastmen at the bottom. the orcs update gave them a bunch of units that dont actually exist and made ones that suck rear end on TT like pump wagons really good. i bought beastmen for like $15 and theyre still sooo loving bad so whatever.

-tihs is a legit complaint, end turn does take loving forever and its made worse by the endless diplomacy offers you get once youre pretty loving huge. its still bad even after CA has tried to address it, but mods help.

-your unit analysis is completely wrong, just entirely wrong. many low durability/high damage units like vargheists or mournghuls are some of the best in their class if not the game and its clear you do not actually have any skill in the battle system if you are incapable of using them without taking massive casualties. with regards to unit tiers, i don't see how its a negative that the player is going to use elite spearmen instead of basic spearmen as the game goes on, seems like you're looking for things to complain about. for many factions though t3 units stay relevant and you get access to t3 within the first 30 turns of a campaign so its a non issue.

you are really bad at total warhammer lol. (almost) all of your points seem to indicate a lack of thought into the game mechanics or even a base willingness to interact with them. it's not a 4x game, its an rts game. maybe you don't actually play it?

Muscle Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 1, 2020

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
If you need to use a walkthrough it's not a good game.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Sir AIDS posted:

Hi there. I don't know if anyone has told you this before but you are absolutely gorgeous. What's your discord username?

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Sir AIDS posted:

its not a bad game because you are unwilling to learn how to play it.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
like maybe i don't spend enough time on the total war reddit or something but its actually comical to see someone bitch about attrition so much because of how easily dealt with the mechanic is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Age of Sigmar was one of the last things GW did before they had a major change of management and stopped breathing entirely their own farts, and it showed.

The whole 'chuds mad about female models' thing is completely wrong, I don't even know what factions even added any. Age of Sigmar sold miserably, with tons of unsold starter kits gathering dust at stores, and the original rules are well regarded as crap- trying to be a beer-and-pretzels casual game that it's way too expensive to be, for starters. And yes, meaningful that there's literally no tie-in media actually set in the new setting, it's all still in the Warhammer Fantasy one, Age of Sigmar doesn't seem to even have a setting because vaguely waving its hands and saying aw yeah there's all kinds of fantasy crap just everywhere, out of sight, it's awesome too

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Age of Sigmar is an utterly confusing move from a pure marketing and brand management perspective

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Though that said I am loving down with the blind albino sea elves with the flying sharks and poo poo

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
age of sigmar has the potential to be warhammer planescape which is Fairly loving Sick in my humble opinion. will it be? time will tell

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
steampunk dwarfs are always cool

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is aside from that Age of Sigmar doesn't actually do anything worthwhile that WF wasn't already doing, steampunk dwarves and all. Nobody likes the Sigmarines. It's pretty clear GW has no idea what to do with it.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
i think the issue is that aos replaced whfb when whfb is actually a fairly loving sick setting as it is and most ppl just didnt know about it. would anyone really be angry if they coexisted? nah. but sigmarines look cooler to the 12 year olds that make up half of gw's focus groups sooooo

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Everyone is raving about this Outer Wilds videogame which is finally on sale, went into it blind knowing nothing except its some kind of space-explore-em-up and the spoiler about the 22 minute time loop

Game loads in, looks gorgeous but stutters like crazy for the first couple of minutes, it all smooths out and is the vista of an alien planet stands before me, I play around with a flying drone for a few minutes before getting bored and progressing. A few minutes in you encounter your first alien NPC who says some bland exposition, text only mind you because indie-darlings like this don't stretch their presentation to well written dialogue or voice acting.

I then walk to the top of a hill where a spaceship awaits, just as I reach the top, the game abruptly stops responding, locks up and requires a CTRL+ALT+DEL to shut it down.

I call up Steam, browse to the Steam Support tab and request a refund ticket.

I may try Outer Wilds again when its inevitably a monthly game on PS Plus or when the steam sale price drops to what I'd consider a reasonable amount (hint: not £13) but for now it can wait

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Sir AIDS posted:

this is my number one pet peeve with modern game design. I will stand vehemently by the idea that if your game requires you to go read a wiki in order to complete without a hassle, it's not well designed.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Outer Wilds should have a huge red text on the store page "YOU CAN'T SAVE THE GAME BITCH gently caress YOU HAHAHA!!"

Sometimes I like to save a game and then stop playing the game.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Popoto posted:

this is my number one pet peeve with modern game design. I will stand vehemently by the idea that if your game requires you to go read a wiki in order to complete without a hassle, it's not well designed.

Its been a problem since the 80s only you didn't have a wiki then, just hours of trial and error, find someone who knew buy a walkthough book or give up.
I still don't know how anyone finished some of the point and click or text adventure games by themselves, like "I have no mouth and I must scream" has things that still don't make any sense just reading the walkthrough.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Flannelette posted:

Its been a problem since the 80s only you didn't have a wiki then, just hours of trial and error, find someone who knew buy a walkthough book or give up.
I still don't know how anyone finished some of the point and click or text adventure games by themselves, like "I have no mouth and I must scream" has things that still don't make any sense just reading the walkthrough.

Back then you were expected to read the manual, take notes and share tips with your friends. It's just as well, given a lot of those adventure games turn out to be really short if you know what you need to do.

Games like Dark Souls and La-Mulana can be throwbacks to that; the latter is deliberately obtuse and expects you to have to think and take notes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Muscle Wizard posted:

this is a weird rear end post and i play a lot of total warhammer and seem to be much better than you at it so allow me to rebut

-siege battles are fine, if not more boring compared to earlier games because theyre more simple. they're also trivial to win against garrisons if you bring artillery/siege attacker units which you obviously should

-the ai gets free money on difficulties above normal. if you don't want them to have free money then play on normal. i play on hard because i like the ai having more money because they make more troops for me to kill.

-enemy heroes are very, very easily taken care of by your own heroes, which you should have but you probably don't because youre bad and dont wanna engage with the games mechanics. attrition can also be entirely mitigated for most factions thru army stances so your complaint about it indicates you have very little actual experience with the game.

-minor factions exist to give the player something to kick around and some land to take and level up their lords without getting into long drawn wars with major factions. if they're presenting major speedbumps to you then you are either bad or playing on legendary difficulty (unlikely)

-public order is fantastically easy to manage even on legendary where you have to build like, two public order buildings, maybe, per province and the rebellions you get from low order are also trivial to resolve. it sounds to me like you have once again decided to ignore a mechanic and overextended yourself only to get hosed by something that any player with a single campaign under their belt would deal with easily.

-faction economies arent very diverse but theres factions that literally only make money from fighting and factions that literally only make money from economic buildings or trading so this point is also pretty weak. i don't know what exactly you're expecting from tech trees, maybe something like the pointless unit upgrades youd get in attila. what else would you think tech would do when the two main mechanics are your economy and your army?

-i have 1000 hours in total warhammer 2 and i have never had to worry about an 'order tide,' maybe its something idiot redditors spout because they heard it from someone else. major order factions start nearer to each other than destruction ones so obviously theyre going to ally more. as the game is right now, vampire counts are extremely strong in the campaign as an ai faction and quickly overtake huge portions of the map, as do skaven and dark elves. orcs do too but thats a recent development.

-yeah orcs loving blew chunks but thats really a testament to how well CA modeled the game after TT balance. basically before vampirates, faction tiers were pretty much the same as tabletop, with elf bullshit on top, empire in the middle, and shitters like brets orcs and beastmen at the bottom. the orcs update gave them a bunch of units that dont actually exist and made ones that suck rear end on TT like pump wagons really good. i bought beastmen for like $15 and theyre still sooo loving bad so whatever.

-tihs is a legit complaint, end turn does take loving forever and its made worse by the endless diplomacy offers you get once youre pretty loving huge. its still bad even after CA has tried to address it, but mods help.

-your unit analysis is completely wrong, just entirely wrong. many low durability/high damage units like vargheists or mournghuls are some of the best in their class if not the game and its clear you do not actually have any skill in the battle system if you are incapable of using them without taking massive casualties. with regards to unit tiers, i don't see how its a negative that the player is going to use elite spearmen instead of basic spearmen as the game goes on, seems like you're looking for things to complain about. for many factions though t3 units stay relevant and you get access to t3 within the first 30 turns of a campaign so its a non issue.

you are really bad at total warhammer lol. (almost) all of your points seem to indicate a lack of thought into the game mechanics or even a base willingness to interact with them. it's not a 4x game, its an rts game. maybe you don't actually play it?

TL:DR: All of the 4X mechanics in this game being brainless is actually good. Said nothing about how hard it was, the game just finds trivial ways to waste your time that are better modded out and there's basically no one who could consider it depth or challenging.

Like making two public order buildings in every province or w/e, which does literally nothing but take extra turns to do, is terrible design that we all could have done without. Attrition is easily manageable through stances, many of which happen to be "make your army go slower" or "don't move at all," and skill sinks of "your attrition resist is stronger/your reinforcement is faster" is again not meaningful design. Like the core problem is that attrition exists and isn't mitigated intelligently.

The general problem is that Total War is a good 4X game only in the sense that it takes 4X as long as it should to resolve a game in vanilla. In an actual good 4X game you would be balancing different resource considerations, have real build choices after picking your subfaction, and so on.

I was wrong about shock troops; certain shock troops are good, but flagellants, dwarf slayers, and rat ogres was more what I was on about.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 1, 2020

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

My biggest issue with total warhammer is the huge malus for using melee units on higher difficulties. With how defense/attack and morale work ranged isn't penalized nearly as much as melee, so on very hard+ melee-heavy factions have a tougher time while gunpowder factions like vampirates and skaven are a cakewalk (lol ikit)

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Icochet posted:

Outer Wilds should have a huge red text on the store page "YOU CAN'T SAVE THE GAME BITCH gently caress YOU HAHAHA!!"

Sometimes I like to save a game and then stop playing the game.

the cycle is like 20min long. Outer Wilds sure is not the right game to poo poo on savegame issues.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

d3lness posted:

The new expansion for Vermintide 2 came out recently and my friends bought it. Turns out it's the same old stuff with a new crafting system, a challenge mode randomizer, and a single map. $20 for some weapon upgrade system and a randomizer that gets slapped over other maps. gently caress you, Fatshark. That's the kind of content you release for mad cheap or free.

One of my friends is 'not a gamer', like he doesn't get on with computer games, but he's always kind of into the 'idea' of playing them, he obviously enjoys the power fantasy of it, and he's super into cutscenes, and lore etc, he just didn't really grow up with it much, so he's not very skilled at it and has zero interest in losing at a game. So, now and then something will come along that I think might tickle his fancy, and I try and rope him in coz it's fun to play with him.

Vermintide 2 seemed perfect, he loves all the GW fluff, it's brainless enough that he wouldn't get confused, and it's co-op so if it gets hard ever, me and my wife can pick up the slack. The problem? It was too brainless. For him. Like, literally the whole game is walking forward and clicking on the same enemy thousands of times. Sometimes a special gets someone and you have to divert from holding W to move towards them. The maps are loving gorgeous, but there's so little interaction with them they rarely come alive, none of anything you can equip makes a drat difference, and there aren't really any cosmetics? Once you've finished two or three levels, you've seen literally everything in the game, which would be fine if the gameplay was anything?

So, obviously, this is all because we're on too low a difficulty. The problem is that turning up the difficulty is the same game, except now he dies a bunch. That isn't more fun? I get that, yeah, it means you have to be more tactical, but given that he's not going to, it just turns it from 'so trivial as to be boring' to 'too difficult to be fun'. Which would be completely fine, I don't think the game owes him a fun time if he's bad at it, except that the developers massively dumbed everything down, in a concession to this?

At least in Left 4 Dead you could play as the zombies.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Sodomy Hussein posted:

TL:DR: All of the 4X mechanics in this game being brainless is actually good. Said nothing about how hard it was, the game just finds trivial ways to waste your time that are better modded out and there's basically no one who could consider it depth or challenging.

Like making two public order buildings in every province or w/e, which does literally nothing but take extra turns to do, is terrible design that we all could have done without. Attrition is easily manageable through stances, many of which happen to be "make your army go slower" or "don't move at all," and skill sinks of "your attrition resist is stronger/your reinforcement is faster" is again not meaningful design. Like the core problem is that attrition exists and isn't mitigated intelligently.

The general problem is that Total War is a good 4X game only in the sense that it takes 4X as long as it should to resolve a game in vanilla. In an actual good 4X game you would be balancing different resource considerations, have real build choices after picking your subfaction, and so on.

I was wrong about shock troops; certain shock troops are good, but flagellants, dwarf slayers, and rat ogres was more what I was on about.

total war is not a 4x game, it is an rts game.

edit: i don't think you 'get' total war which is a series about killing huge amounts of tiny men in big battles in cool ways like blowing them up with cannons or hitting them with elephants. everything in gameplay revolves around that. your economy is based around getting you more and cooler little men, technology is based around making your little men buffer or improving the economy, theres minor factions for the player to beat up with their little men, etc.

Muscle Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 1, 2020

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
also rat ogres are pretty good if you actually pay attention to your units (you do not) and slayers are more or less must take units in multiplayer. flagellants suck tho (overcosted).

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

haldolium posted:

the cycle is like 20min long. Outer Wilds sure is not the right game to poo poo on savegame issues.

Nah. Not being able to save your progress whenever you want in a single player game is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Warhammer is really cool, I wish I'd got into it when I was a kid and too poor to actually afford it