Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, that's a little annoying but from what I gather you mostly want to over/underclock to a target output - and you can specifically tweak the target output by clicking on that instead of sliding the bar around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You can click the numbers (double-click to highlight the whole field like you would in any other program) and manually type the value. This works across most fields requiring input, including the shopping list.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You can click the numbers (double-click to highlight the whole field like you would in any other program) and manually type the value. This works across most fields requiring input, including the shopping list.

:aaaaa:

why is there no interface/shortcuts guide

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Lay miles of foundation down! It's all in service to a higher cause.

The Grand Unified Grid. The Grid.

This is me a third of the way to where I'm moving my new base. But it has to be on the same grid. It has to be.

This makes me happy, and I truly believe you're doing the Lord's work. Godspeed, son.

PS: the Area thingy mod is 10/10. It can be really hacky, depending on how you use it, but I've promised myself I'll only use it to lay foundation down and construct my buildings quicker. I also let myself fly when I'm constructing. Other than that, I don't use any of the functionalities, and don't use it to plop down a bunch of assemblers etc.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
^^ It also follows the terrain and uses supports for maximum structural immersion.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

:aaaaa:

why is there no interface/shortcuts guide

It's presently on page 69 and not the OP and if there are any items people know I missed I will throw them in there.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Fukkit.

Shift-Clicking a stack will move that entire stack to whatever container/item you have open.

Control-Clicking a stack will move every stack of that to whatever container/item you have open.

Right-clicking a stack will split that stack in half.

Holding right-click on a stack will give you a small pop-up to make a very specific size stack.

Alt-scroll wheel is the hotkey to changing your current hot bar.

Middle mouse button with the constructor out (even is disassemble mode) will act like an eyedropper, sampling whatever you're looking at to build more of.

While deconstructing, CTRL will allow you to paint for up to 50 items to deconstruct, allowing you to release it so you can tap it to tag very specific things.

You have multiple hand slots.

Shift or CTRL click dragging a stack in your inventory into the trash can in your inventory will work exactly as you expect.

The 'N' search box also works as a rudimentary calculator. Parenthesis work too!

You can click numbers (double-click to highlight the whole field like you would in any other program) and manually type a value. This works across most fields requiring input, including the shopping list.

What else? There's more, I know there's more, give me more.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Unless you have tons of shards and power production you really only want to overclock in cases where you can't place more buildings (resource nodes, water extractors in small lakes).
Power usage increases exponentially with the overclock rate, here's a constructor for example:

50%: 1.32 MW
75%: 2.52 MW
100%: 4 MW
150%: 7.65 MW
200%: 12.13 MW
250%: 17.32 MW

So if you need 150% production, two machines at 75% use 5.04 MW, which is quite a bit lower than one machine at 150% (which needs almost as much power as two machines at 100%)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I just keep a good power capacity buffer and overclock whatever needs it for the current end-products I'm making, and a few nodes.

I'm truly lazy though, I have a Poor copper node overclocked instead of actually finding a better node :haw:

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

I set up the concrete production, then looked away for a few hours and my buddy went full pavement.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Crazyeyes24 posted:

I set up the concrete production, then looked away for a few hours and my buddy went full pavement.

looks like they're building an SD card you can see from space.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I just keep a good power capacity buffer and overclock whatever needs it for the current end-products I'm making, and a few nodes.

I'm truly lazy though, I have a Poor copper node overclocked instead of actually finding a better node :haw:

Honestly buffing nodes is probably the best use for power cores. Though you can only buff an impure node so far :v:

Me new at the game: I think I'll start in the grasslands because it's safe-ish.
Me a bit later: The other areas are way more awesome and high-end resources aren't forever away (except for the desert).
Me now: IF IT HAS IRON, COPPER AND LIMESTONE IT'S A START LOCATION :black101:

(Also between Satisfactory and Factorio we really need some engineering/exoplanet despoiler version of :black101:)

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

anyone have a map with the rough flightpath of the giant moths on it? I want to start building a vertical megabase but don't want that thing clipping through all my poo poo, I'm based in south grasslands atm and it seems one covers most of that

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I think there's only one and it's there. Which actually sucks because my favorite thing in the game is its shadow crossing over my base and I won't get that when I move to the desert.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Alkydere posted:

(Also between Satisfactory and Factorio we really need some engineering/exoplanet despoiler version of :black101:)

I kind of wish this game had pollution and land devastation so I could go full Factorio and turn the world into an industrial hellscape.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
That will be the full conversion mod released in 2023

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Tamba posted:

Unless you have tons of shards and power production you really only want to overclock in cases where you can't place more buildings (resource nodes, water extractors in small lakes).
Power usage increases exponentially with the overclock rate, here's a constructor for example:

50%: 1.32 MW
75%: 2.52 MW
100%: 4 MW
150%: 7.65 MW
200%: 12.13 MW
250%: 17.32 MW

So if you need 150% production, two machines at 75% use 5.04 MW, which is quite a bit lower than one machine at 150% (which needs almost as much power as two machines at 100%)

Additional place to overclock: you can overclock power production, and it's actually very easy to set up a Coal Plant running at 146% for 66.9 MW instead of 50, and using 15 coal/minute and 60 water/minute, meaning it's easy to get set up from a coal mine (60 splits into 30 splits into 15) and a water Extractor (120 splits into 60).

Also, thanks for all of the replies about Satisfactory's lack of release schedule - I'd much rather they did that than the standard dev crunch. But knowing we're only on 3 out of maybe 10 releases definitely tells me I should cool my jets about learning everything and building everything.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

skeleton warrior posted:

Additional place to overclock: you can overclock power production, and it's actually very easy to set up a Coal Plant running at 146% for 66.9 MW instead of 50, and using 15 coal/minute and 60 water/minute, meaning it's easy to get set up from a coal mine (60 splits into 30 splits into 15) and a water Extractor (120 splits into 60).

Also, thanks for all of the replies about Satisfactory's lack of release schedule - I'd much rather they did that than the standard dev crunch. But knowing we're only on 3 out of maybe 10 releases definitely tells me I should cool my jets about learning everything and building everything.

I'd be shocked if there were more than 6 releases. There are rumbles that 4 may be the last EA release before retail with 5 being 1.0.

That said, that's serious rumor mill poo poo, so take that with a boulder of salt.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Rynoto posted:

I kind of wish this game had pollution and land devastation so I could go full Factorio and turn the world into an industrial hellscape.

Yeah I wish you could get a kind of polluted fog effect and having things like 20 coal plants shoved together would blight an area.

The main thing I miss from factorio that this game could use is some basic templating and the ability to set inventory thresholds and have drones fill my bag for me without me having to run around to boxes to pick poo poo up

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My big ask would be texture blending to turn all the greenery into dead polluted soil near your base over time + natural death of all nature within the field.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

skeleton warrior posted:

Tenebrais said the plans were for 10 tiers, not 10 updates. Depending on how much they stuff in each one it could potentially get to release in like 3 updates, I'd say.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Musluk posted:

The factory must grow.

The Factory must expand in order to meet the demands of the expanding Factory.

Voxx posted:

welcome to the dev cycle of satisfactory. coffee stain hates setting deadlines which leads to crunch so they just work on the game and announce when poo poo is ready the week before.

There’s not really a way to describe with numbers how Down I am for that approach. gently caress the entire concept of crunch in the industry.

M_Gargantua posted:

My big ask would be texture blending to turn all the greenery into dead polluted soil near your base over time + natural death of all nature within the field.

Give me this, and a basic prevailing wind direction so there can be an expanding pollution plume downwind. The building animations already have plumes coming out of their stacks with consistent directions ~

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I was playing again after the longest time last night and while tootling around the shoreline, realized that those mussel-clam-things and brine pools and such can be found pretty high up along the coast. I'd be more worried about extra high tides loving up your shoreside compounds.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LonsomeSon posted:

Give me this, and a basic prevailing wind direction so there can be an expanding pollution plume downwind. The building animations already have plumes coming out of their stacks with consistent directions ~

I'm amazed that this game's particle physics actually respect blockages as well as they do. Put some smelters or foundries beneath a ceiling and the smoke they produce actually slams into the ceiling and moves off to the side. Of course it does go with the general wind direction instead of properly smogging up the place but it's still pretty good.

My real list of wants:
-A proper procedural map generator (even if it is smaller than the monster, hand created map we have now)
-The ability after the final tier to just slam resources into your space elevator to send upwards. Kind of like the AWESOME grinder but as an actual goal and not just a dump you're rewarded for
-Coal plants to just have a bigger, proper plume of smog. It just looks so dainty, especially considering you get a recipe to create hotter burning but more polluting coal as an alternative.

Though I think the first two are wants for almost everyone, likely even Coffee Stain.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

-that loving moth not to fly through my poo poo

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Got into this game.

For what it's worth, I disagree with the people that say Grasslands is a bad start for newbies. While the higher tier resources are hard to get at, this smooths out the development curve since it means you need to explore and make full use of the unlocked transportation methods. The other starts are potentially a quicker start for people who know what they are during, but I'm enjoying building my tractor route to obtain coal and steel, my pipeline/hypertube route for oil, and most recently, my insane cave railway line for quartz. Setting up long range logistical operations is a lot of fun - if everything was right there next to me I might have gotten bored quickly.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
What I want the most are lights and cosmetic items. I’m making a skyscraper and I wish I could put potted plants in the corners or make a proper break room.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I just want half-walls, slanted walls, and more railings. I can't make my staircases or about half my gaps in the floor OSHA approved.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
With all the half-pipes and stuff you'd figure there would be a hoverboard or some rocket skates or something!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah I definitely do want lights to help me navigate and find my hypertube entrances.

Also I think it would help clean up my conveyor layouts if there was a "conveyor corner" that is smaller than a splitter that lets me make conveyors do a 90 degree turn.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 1, 2020

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I want programmable things just like in Factorio that are useless to me because I'm an idiot but someone will inevitably program Doom with!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I want programmable things just like in Factorio that are useless to me because I'm an idiot but someone will inevitably program Doom with!

I think you can already use assemblers/refineries as (really slow) transistors.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fangz posted:

I think you can already use assemblers/refineries as (really slow) transistors.

God drat you, now I'm going to make an adder.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well, good luck!

I think the key point is that you need recipes that let you process two seperate inputs of the same thing into one thing (which you then dispose of). Then throw in a smart splitter at the input end, with the main valve going to the processor and the output coming out of the overflow valve, and you'll have a setup where stuff flows from a input1 to output unimpeded until you supply input2, at which point output ceases. Of the top off my head, I think you can do this with iron ore recipes, or plastic canisters. Though there might be other easier/faster ways.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fangz posted:

Well, good luck!

I think the key point is that you need recipes that let you process two seperate inputs of the same thing into one thing (which you then dispose of). Then throw in a smart splitter at the input end, with the main valve going to the processor and the output coming out of the overflow valve, and you'll have a setup where stuff flows from a input1 to output unimpeded until you supply input2, at which point output ceases. Of the top off my head, I think you can do this with iron ore recipes, or plastic canisters. Though there might be other easier/faster ways.

:psyduck:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Fangz posted:

Well, good luck!

Yes, that setup more or less makes a NAND gate. And if you can make NAND gate, you can in theory make a logical processor that can handle Turing-complete low-level language such as Brainfuck out of input sequences.

And from that onwards its basically just upscalability issue.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, that setup more or less makes a NAND gate. And if you can make NAND gate, you can in theory make a logical processor that can handle Turing-complete low-level language such as Brainfuck out of input sequences.

And from that onwards its basically just upscalability issue.

Just want to shout out http://nandgame.com/ for anyone who wants to learn how NAND gates can do literally everything a computer can.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Pound_Coin posted:

-that loving moth not to fly through my poo poo

Unless something changed, it's a flying manta ray, not a moth.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So i got a good set up for making reinforced plates, but I can't get a good supply line for rotors, but I did read about there being a better alternate recipe that could make the layout easier to make. Anyone know which one or got a good layout I can use? I'm still unlocking parts of tier 3 and 4 part.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So i got a good set up for making reinforced plates, but I can't get a good supply line for rotors, but I did read about there being a better alternate recipe that could make the layout easier to make. Anyone know which one or got a good layout I can use? I'm still unlocking parts of tier 3 and 4 part.

There's several recipes that can help you. Casting screws directly from ingots without rods as intermediate products is a definite help. There's ways to make more rotors faster by using copper or steel instead of just iron. Once you get coal power going the real answer is always "throw more resources at the problem." Whether that means finding another patching of iron somewhere to use just for rotors or bringing in copper/steel to boost production.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There is an alternate rotor recipe so that both stators and rotors are just steel pipes and wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

If you can get it from harddrives: casted screw recipe to turn iron ingots into screws. Lets you skip one step (ingot -> rod -> screw).