Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Zombie Guy posted:

What about wherever the Buick 8 sent people? Seems like a lovely spot.

They were as confused and horrified by humans as we were by them.

Perfect for Lowtax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Instead of probation, just give people a Redbull and strap them to the Jaunt.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Instead of probation, just give people a Redbull and strap them to the Jaunt.

LONGER THAN YOU THINK, DAD!

That and “ladyfingers they taste just like ladyfingers” are the two best endings of Kong’s short stories and of course they’re both in skeleton crew.

gently caress that’s a good collection.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Was enjoying It (my first King novel) until that thing that happens in the tunnels. Why did he write that.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Idaholy Roller posted:

Was enjoying It (my first King novel) until that thing that happens in the tunnels. Why did he write that.

COCAINE

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There is a tradition in some magick to use sex as a catalyst, but that's primarily so weirdos who spell magic with a K can get laid.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Idaholy Roller posted:

What’s wrong with fighting a giant eye?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I don't think It is a good choice for new readers. I'd recommend they read one of the early short story collections followed by The Shining. After that go ham.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was a hormonally soaked teenager and even I thought that scene was too much. What happens in the tunnels stays in the tunnels.

EDIT: listening to Salem's Lot for the first time in a decade and how many books have the author stand-in driving a weird car? Is that one of his tropes? I think I've seen one Citroen in my entire life but I'm pretty sure they show up at least twice in his books.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 29, 2020

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Krispy Wafer posted:

I was a hormonally soaked teenager and even I thought that scene was too much. What happens in the tunnels stays in the tunnels.

EDIT: listening to Salem's Lot for the first time in a decade and how many books have the author stand-in driving a weird car? Is that one of his tropes? I think I've seen one Citroen in my entire life but I'm pretty sure they show up at least twice in his books.

Nothing really springs to mind except in The Dark Tower where he made up some car brands. New England people do drive some weird poo poo compared to the rest of the country IMO. I still see lots of Saabs on the road here, and my step dad used to drive a goddamned Rover wagon. I cant say I've ever run into a Citroen here though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m gonna guess that the Citroen is less a New England thing and more a product of Salem’s lot being written during the 70’s gas crunch, when a lot of small euro cars got popular because their mileage was a shitload better.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think it was another way to kind of separate Ben from the Lot, too. Nobody around there would own such a car, but the outsiders (Ben, Straker, Barlow) did. They lived in the Lot, but they weren't part of it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
King does seem to have a thing with and a genuine hard on for cars, let's be honest.

Not sure what it all means but he's made autos a central element to a LOT of his stories.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Eh, seems to me that's just because he's an American, though. Cars are important to US pop culture.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m gonna guess that the Citroen is less a New England thing and more a product of Salem’s lot being written during the 70’s gas crunch, when a lot of small euro cars got popular because their mileage was a shitload better.

The 1970s was when Citroen actually disappeared from the US.

The US used to be a huge market for Citroen precisely because Citroen made larger cars that didn't appeal to Europeans. Citroen occupied a similar spot as a Mercedes would nowadays in the market, and even won motor trends car of the year in the early 1970s. So Mears driving a Citroen is less "cheapskate trying to save money on gas" and more "playboy spending money from his successful novel."
Citroen left the US market because a bunch of regulations unrelated to gas went into place (about headlights, bumpers and minimum bumper height) and so after 1974 Citroen was essentially banned in the US:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_SM

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/sims/status/1277381145706053632?s=19

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lol i love him

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I first heard about this on a Facebook group that was really mad he retweeted Rowling , saying this was him endorsing her views and it was baffling. How do you look at this perfect setup/finisher as anything other than a fantastic dunk?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Those tweets ended better than most of his books.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I first heard about this on a Facebook group that was really mad he retweeted Rowling , saying this was him endorsing her views and it was baffling. How do you look at this perfect setup/finisher as anything other than a fantastic dunk?

I think it's likely that King saw that one tweet about silencing women and supported it not knowing the rest of what she was saying. Easy enough to do when something hits the timeline. The dunking still stands though given that she was clearly so happy that someone famous endorsed her views for once.

What's hilarious is despite her claimed admiration for him she unfollowed him for it. What a tolerant woman she is.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
I’m not sure why JKR seems so ready to destroy her reputation over her weird stance on trans issues. It’s not an everyday topic of conversation and if she just stopped tweeting about it then the story would eventually go away. The generation who were kids when the books have came out aren’t going to be swayed over to her side. It’s an odd hill she has decided to die on is what I’m saying.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Rich people are stupid.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. Tweets can be ambiguous and easy to misinterpret. But nope, she's really doing it.

It's one thing to have a bad opinion, we all have bad opinions about something. It's entirely something else to use your soapbox to advocate for that bad opinion.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
In the good old days when someone stood on a literal box and spouted garbage you could just pelt them with rotten fruit until they went away.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The thing with Rowling is that if she just did what every other rich bigot does - throw money at her favored hate group silently and on the low - then all of this could be avoided. Instead she's being as blatant about it as she can be and steadfastly refusing to even contemplate that she might be wrong. There's going to come a point where she irrevocably tanks her own legacy and I don't think it's very far away given how things are going.

It's weird to watch and even weirder to think about it in the context of her status as a beloved author (for now) whose books enraptured generations of children. Also I cannot personally imagine being that rich and spending even one second on social media.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Two types of people are always on social media: the extremely rich and the extremely poor.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

For IT, coke makes you extremely confident. He got a literary idea in his head about sex and what that means as a first experience and the coke took over.

Rowling is just ugh. There are feminist arguments about trans people co-opting birthed women's experiences from children on that are valid that it could have been confused as, but shes obviously so past the line on that and is already being canceled.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Changing the subject, late to the party, probably been said before, etc, but I had a moment last night, watching Doctor Sleep.

I'm just over an hour in (it's long film), and there's a scene near the start (not really a spoiler I don't think) when Danny Torrance is being interviewed for a job. (Photos snagged right from the telly, sorry.)

And I knew the scene looked familiar So I checked this morning, on YouTube...

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Abra's family live at number 1980.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

https://twitter.com/dan_wickes/status/1277638667016835073?s=20

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Here's what I think is the deal with Dr. Sleep

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm going to spoiler this, but it doesn't say anything specific:

It's a sequel to the movie The Shining that takes some of the book Dr. Sleep and mashes it together with parts of the book The Shining that were left out of the feature film of the same name to make a fourth unique thing, the movie Dr. Sleep, which honestly isn't that bad.

Like somebody was a big fan of The Shining the movie but also loved the very different The Shining the book and wanted to make a movie that was a sequel/homage to the two at the same time and used a bunch of another book that happened to already exist to make this labor of love.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Teach posted:

Changing the subject, late to the party, probably been said before, etc, but I had a moment last night, watching Doctor Sleep.

I'm just over an hour in (it's long film), and there's a scene near the start (not really a spoiler I don't think) when Danny Torrance is being interviewed for a job. (Photos snagged right from the telly, sorry.)

And I knew the scene looked familiar So I checked this morning, on YouTube...

Stole this post for the PYF Subtle Movie Moments thread.

Hope u don't mind

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I really didn’t like Dr Sleep the book. It felt kind of aimless without the Overlook as a character.

Also the vampires seemed really lame in the book, whereas the movie versions were better villains, but in a weird way also empathetic, at least to one another.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

whereas the movie versions were better villains

But I also kept wishing they could be switched with the trailer vamps from Near Dark

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You could say that about a lot of movies though.

Did Hard was pretty good, but with the vampires from Near Dark...

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I just rewatched Dr. Sleep for the first time since I saw it in theaters. It's not a good movie! Or a good adaptation of the book. What it is is a love letter to The Shining, the book and the Kubrick movie. As somebody who has read the one a million times and watched the other a million times I enjoy Dr. Sleep a lot as that.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I don't often say this about movies but you gotta watch the director's cut of Dr. sleep. It's like 3 1/2 hours long but it's so good.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Oh, cool. Just read an article about the extended cut, and it turns out that's the version I watched.
I liked it, as a fan of both The Shining, and Kubrick's film. We'll worth my time.

Now to watch 1408.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Finished Revival a couple of days ago, and goddamn, what a good book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, a Dr. Sleep director’s cut.

I’m listening to Salem’s Lot and I’m reminded of What We Do In the Shadows when one of the vampires gets scolded for creating a baby vampire. Also they’re really making a lot of vampires. There’s no way this is sustainable.