Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coolguye posted:

i mean hard disagree on that? societies might have a relatively shallow set of events, but without them, peace time is incredibly boring and has very little going on.

Sorry, "peace time"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Coolguye posted:

the AI most definitely uses the goddamn satanist society

Maybe, but AI is ineffective. Societies ask very little of you and give huge benefits. It costs almost nothing to join and then even if you don't engage with quests you'll be a high ranking character later in life. It sounds like stop having fun kind of critique, but the point is AI doesn't play it in obvious effective ways. It doesn't mash "join society" button on day 1, it doesn't get loads of prestige or piety allowing for any kind of war you want.

I hope CK3 won't have features like that. If there's anything like societies they should have higher requirements. You should also have a lot of non-rulers in there making it harder for rulers to compete.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I do like the Monarch's Journey start where you play as a secretly Jewish guy running Baghdad and no one seems to notice. Is there some risk of being discovered if you're worshipping in secret?

Jedit posted:

Sorry, "peace time"?

War in EU4 requires a lot of micro, but in CK2 I just smash the enemy doomstacks with my own and then turn up the speed for the sieges. I know Paradox games are partly modeled on real-time strategy but this aspect of the game isn't all that compelling.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 30, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
One thing I disliked socities was that they never really felt like an actual organisation with an exiisting community of members and more like a powerup button and a list of random characters from halfway across the world.

If they wanted to give it another go, the best implementation I could imagine would be to severly limit membership geographically, so that each society would actually contain characters relevant to the player, and to have them function similarly to an actual realm with a clear hierachy and a need to manage your subordinates while joslting for a higher postion through a variety of means, as opposed to arbitary point accumulation.

Having parallel hierachies between realms and societies could create some interesting dilemmas, such as vassals who are more important in the society than their leige offering oppotunities for advancement in exchange for a reduction in feudal obligations.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 30, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I love societies, they just need to add some more complications. Being a member shouldn't give you an approval boost with everyone else in the society, any more than it does in reality. With strangers maybe it's a plus, but those who have met you may actually like you less, and competitors for society office may hate your guts. Writing a Hermetic book may give you a bonus for a while and then bring shame on your dynasty when its ideas fall out of favour. Things like that.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

New dev diary about the feudal contract

https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/...0200630_cawe_dd

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
That sounds very cool on paper but I have a strong suspicion I'll leave these contacts exactly on the default for the entire game in like, 95% of playthroughs.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

It'll be interesting to use with King level vassals. Dukes on the ether hand..well it'd be useful when you are small.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
it seems CK3 devs prefer cats to dogs

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

it seems CK3 devs prefer cats to dogs

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's neat. Even if you aren't going to care about a lot of the fine print as liege it gives you stuff to aim for as a vassal.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Jedit posted:

Sorry, "peace time"?

:hai:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
cant wait for popup spam as my vassals keep demanding lower taxes tho

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The thread regarding the dev diary reveals another difference between clan and feudal governments, only feudal lords can negotiate contracts with their vassals and have special features. Clans seem to just have a sliding scale of contribution based on opinion. Also, modding can define new governments with access to new and different contracts.

luxury handset posted:

cant wait for popup spam as my vassals keep demanding lower taxes tho

I don't think it works like that, it sounds like only the liege can re-negotiate, and only once per character. The comment in the thread says that if you're a vassal, you just get the terms laid out to you and told to deal with it. Seems like you have to rebel to change things as a vassal.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The DD says vassals can renegotiate, but they either need to spend a hook or offer an 'even' trade.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 30, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sindai posted:

The DD says vassals can renegotiate, but they either need to spend a hook or offer an 'even' trade.

I stand corrected then, must've read over it too fast. Though with those terms it doesn't seem like it'll be too spammy, at least hopefully not.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do wonder how it's going to work if your vassals defeat you in a civil war and all want to renegotiate their contracts at the same time. Being a liege and having to constantly scheme against your vassals to get better deals out of them sounds like an interesting way to spend peacetime. Hopefully there will be good visualizations of your finances or levies to make those sorts of gains feel more tangible.

I feel like I'd like a more complicated system for Tyranny than just an opinion penalty for all vassals at once.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I do like the Monarch's Journey start where you play as a secretly Jewish guy running Baghdad and no one seems to notice. Is there some risk of being discovered if you're worshipping in secret?

Yes, having a secret religion means you can be caught by the "hunt heretic" job like satanists. I don't know how often the AI uses this, though, and if you're independent it doesn't matter at all (although I think if you're independent you have to openly declare your religion? I've never really messed around with secret religions so I'm not 100% sure on how they work).

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yes, having a secret religion means you can be caught by the "hunt heretic" job like satanists. I don't know how often the AI uses this, though, and if you're independent it doesn't matter at all (although I think if you're independent you have to openly declare your religion? I've never really messed around with secret religions so I'm not 100% sure on how they work).

I was able to go secret Cathar as the independent King of Brittany and converted most of the realm. Then some zealous Waldensian dweeb inherited the realm, and that one isn't even fun!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The best part of CK3 is that every religion will be more meaningfully different. No more 'Catholicism but objectively worse' or 'Judaism with a different name'.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I for one look forward to integrating cannibalism as a mainline belief in any and all religions.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Various Meat Products posted:

I for one look forward to integrating cannibalism as a mainline belief in any and all religions.

I mean it's already in Catholicism (transubstantiation)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

fuf posted:

I mean it's already in Catholicism (transubstantiation)

yeah you're already getting the picture (the picture is me eating dudes)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

fuckin powerful username/post combo

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Since CK2+ is out remaking itself, what are the goto mods/mod packages right now? I can't get the Crisis of the Confederation to work even with version rollback so suggestions? Or is it just waiting for CK3 when things are gonna get weird?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Incelshok Na posted:

Since CK2+ is out remaking itself, what are the goto mods/mod packages right now? I can't get the Crisis of the Confederation to work even with version rollback so suggestions? Or is it just waiting for CK3 when things are gonna get weird?
hip is fairly up to date and has incorporated most of the features from ck2+. check out the after the end fan fork if you haven't. it's pretty impressive.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
CK3 is up on Xbox Game Pass.

It’s a 10MB stub that throws up an error message when you try to launch it.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lazyhound posted:

I mean hilarious spoiler aside is CK3 releasing on Xbox?

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Zane posted:

hip is fairly up to date and has incorporated most of the features from ck2+. check out the after the end fan fork if you haven't. it's pretty impressive.

Maybe I'm not good enough at the game, but I always feel like HIP is trying to railroad me down a historical path. That's helpfully educational* but it's not necessarily fun. If I can't have a recently-converted-to-Christendom Norse Bulgarian king go from Varangian to Emperor then what is the point?

*I'm sad that CK3 won't have every year as a start date. I didn't take advantage of playing them but I have been able to give my spouse some great history lessons using them since she had, like, zero history education

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

GHOST_BUTT posted:

It's an XBOX exclusive.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lazyhound posted:

The most stable Paradox release to date!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I don’t believe so, it’s simply that it’s going to be on the PC version of Xbox game pass as well as the normal release.

If anything it means you can play day one for the trial price of game pass, and if the game is buggy as poo poo just wait to purchase properly!

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I don't care what else is in this game. I am going to start an offshoot Christian cult with the trait where lustful is a virtue and enact the nudism trait.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Feudally-Automated Lombardy Gay Space Catholicism

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

I don't care what else is in this game. I am going to start an offshoot Christian cult with the trait where lustful is a virtue and enact the nudism trait.

There was a preacher in like 1600s England who was basically that. His whole thesis was that Jesus died for our sins so, well, we may as well make his sacrifice worthwhile.

There were plenty of movements that were supposedly like that in antiquity but that one stands out because we have reliable contemporary records as opposed to *just* stuff from people that wanted to discredit him.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Incelshok Na posted:

Maybe I'm not good enough at the game, but I always feel like HIP is trying to railroad me down a historical path. That's helpfully educational* but it's not necessarily fun. If I can't have a recently-converted-to-Christendom Norse Bulgarian king go from Varangian to Emperor then what is the point?
yeah. there are start-up options that push the ai in certain directions. but these are fairly prominently displayed and can be turned off (perhaps not the case in earlier revisions?). i'm not a huge fan of HIP myself. i'm not interested in a lot of the minutiae it seems to be obsessed with. but it bundles a lot of content packs together and makes helpful counter-modifications to imperial blobbing among other things.

Zane fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 3, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

megane posted:

Feudally-Automated Lombardy Gay Space Catholicism
title for the ck3 thread plz

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

It's an XBOX exclusive.

Tracks with some past pdox decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I noticed in pretty much every video and LP that there's a notification if you have claims that you can press, but it doesn't appear in my games. Is there a mod that I need to get for that?