Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Alan G posted:

Never seen them in the wild to try them. Until recently they've been super expensive and as I have a couple of types of colour blindness dunno if they would actually work for me. Sceptical as to how much they do tbh from what I understand they sort of shift the spectrum for you. So using them you have better ability to tell reds/greens at that end apart but at the expense of blues/yellows at the other end.
afaik they're just a filter, spectrum shifting crystals are costly and only work on a few distinct bands, so all these do is selectively filter out the overlapping region between red cones and green cones, making the colours more distinct at the expense of yellow/orange.

A bit like the glassmakers' goggles that selectively filter out the sodium line.

e: The Arado Ar 199 was a floatplane for nazis.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I think people these days have too many colours and we should go back to having just basic colours as we did in the good old days when folk knew a carrot from a tomato by the shape :mad:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
black and white was good enough for Winston Churchill when he defeated the Germans so why should we need any more than that? drat millenials

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

crispix posted:

I think people these days have too many colours and we should go back to having just basic colours as we did in the good old days when folk knew a carrot from a tomato by the shape :mad:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Angepain posted:

black and white was good enough for Winston Churchill when he defeated the Germans so why should we need any more than that? drat millenials

i dream mostly in sepia scale lol

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

afaik they're just a filter, spectrum shifting crystals are costly and only work on a few distinct bands, so all these do is selectively filter out the overlapping region between red cones and green cones, making the colours more distinct at the expense of yellow/orange.

A bit like the glassmakers' goggles that selectively filter out the sodium line.

e: The Arado Ar 199 was a floatplane for nazis.

Ah ok yeah that makes sense.

Meant to mention one other weird thing that when the magic eye picture craze started (showing my age) I could do almost all of them unless they were heavily red. Tons of friends just couldn’t do them at all. Wonder if it’s related to the idea colourblindness aids in some camouflage detection too.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

That's why I'm not convinced he's gunning for no deal (although some interests are), the narrative is Big Boy Boris Got Brexit Done and now he'll just accept whatever poo poo gets cobbled together in october and ride it roughshod over the ERG and DUP, which May never could.

that's right. i cant remember what may's deal accepted now and how it differed from what we had before. is there a table somewhere?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jose posted:

*A man prolaspsing in stuttery sepia with a fast framerate, accompanied by ragtime music*

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

There's a 'game' (more of an experience) on Steam for VR that lets you muck about with experiencing the various forms of colourblindness, found it interesting.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Stamer and his crazy explanations,
The Independent's gonna want a resignation,
RLB's tweeted their exaggerations,
There'll be space on front bench, tonight!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I caught about 15 seconds of PMQs and managed to see Boris bravely suggesting that people should thank the government for protecting over 11 million jobs [posh braying noises]

That's your job, you oval office

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

*Desire to vote for Labour rising*

https://twitter.com/samisam147/status/1278079019611754498

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

They didn't just have a good boy, they had a best boy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

*A man prolaspsing in stuttery sepia with a fast framerate, accompanied by ragtime music*
Rose Bud Rag
Elite Sphinctercations
The Enter t'anus

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

migration watch are going to be extremely angry

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1278288740386058240?s=20

https://twitter.com/Jim_Edwards/status/1278289061057265665?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/RebootedStef/status/1278291353785577472?s=19

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

"We need more English speaking commonwealth immigrants!"

* A million Hong Kong chinese show up*

"No, not like this!"

In reality it won't be a huge deal though, BNO eligibility stops after 1997 so many of the young people who have been on the streets won't be able to move, and Tiawan is doing a similar programme and they are alot closer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/easypoliticsUK/status/1278285324939079680?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We were ridiculously lovely with HK residents when the handover looked inevitable, so many ended up going to Canada and Australia, which managed to be less lovely than the UK.

It's long past time we did this anyway.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

The first nightmare I remember having was that I was a baby that Herman Munster was walking towards and that was all in sepia, and that was considerably before I knew what the gently caress sepia was.

I also have a recurring semi-nightmare that I get whenever I have a high fever and that flits between sepia and really bright Wizard of Oz Technicolor. I wonder how much this sort of thing is influenced by the media we consume and the way it plays with this sort of visual language? Did nightmares start changing as mass media became a thing?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In a month:

Ok 50 thousand more people are dead, and I support that, but the government must try harder in future.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

And how many times is a clip of the first half of that sentence going to be shown when we hit 200k dead around the time of the locals next year?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

LOL HE CAN'T EVEN CRITICISE BORIS ON THIS lovely DECISION

loving Haircut sucks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its honestly still shocking to me just how loving poo poo he is

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I wish I knew what the word is that I feel for the state of the UK and the labour party.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i went and checked the guardian's feed just now to make sure that that wasn't a parody

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

In a month:

Ok 50 thousand more people are dead, and I support that, but the government must try harder in future.

The government made TOUGH CHOICES and I admire that.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

VideoGames posted:

I wish I knew what the word is that I feel for the state of the UK and the labour party.

"lol, just lmao" is how I'm feeling about it right now

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Did nightmares start changing as mass media became a thing?
I remember reading that visions and cultural perceptions of demons and ghosts changed with photography, like the ghost trick photographers did produced a mostly-transparent monochrome person or arm or floating upper body, which became what ghosts are, rather than 'some guy but a bit blurry'.

fig 1. some guy but a bit blurry

I'm not fully sure of this, maybe some of the ancient history goons would know, Irving Finkel would definitely have views I'd love to hear, but I've also read that visions and cultural perceptions of demons and ghosts changed with plays, so yeah I definitely think nightmares started changing as mass media became a thing.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
oh my god the windsocking

he's completely incapable of saying anything that hasn't been focus grouped to death

like he can't even talk about how it's too early to be ending the lockdown and point to Leicester as an example because someone's showed him a poll that said the public were in favour of ending it

that 20 point lead's coming soon, any day boys any day now

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I remember reading that visions and cultural perceptions of demons and ghosts changed with photography, like the ghost trick photographers did produced a mostly-transparent monochrome person or arm or floating upper body, which became what ghosts are, rather than 'some guy but a bit blurry'.

fig 1. some guy but a bit blurry

I'm not fully sure of this, maybe some of the ancient history goons would know, Irving Finkel would definitely have views I'd love to hear, but I've also read that visions and cultural perceptions of demons and ghosts changed with plays, so yeah I definitely think nightmares started changing as mass media became a thing.

You've reminded me about the way sleep paralysis has over time evolved from demonic possession or witches messing with you to alien abduction, and reports of the latter changed massively after Close Encounters and the X Files came out. I've heard about the eye witness problem (e.g. people almost always report a crashing plane being on fire and making a screaming noise, because your brain reacts to massive scary events by filling stuff in from memories to try and come up with something to do and so it edits in all the plane crashes you've seen to that point) and I wonder if it's a similar mechanism?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You've reminded me about the way sleep paralysis has over time evolved from demonic possession or witches messing with you to alien abduction, and reports of the latter changed massively after Close Encounters and the X Files came out. I've heard about the eye witness problem (e.g. people almost always report a crashing plane being on fire and making a screaming noise, because your brain reacts to massive scary events by filling stuff in from memories to try and come up with something to do and so it edits in all the plane crashes you've seen to that point) and I wonder if it's a similar mechanism?

Same with James Tilly Matthews, one of the first documented cases of paranoid schizophrenia, who was convinced that sinister pneumatic-chemistry (cutting edge at the time!) when later hallucinations tend to involve more modern tech like radiation and sattellites.

Although I swear Jerry Mander's (yes thats his real name) Four Arugments for the Elimination of Television has a bit about how people had delusions/hallucinations of images projected onto walls well before we had projectors and televisions. Which makes the fact that we now willingly surround ourselves with these demonic apparations really creepy in retrospect.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I love how in the 2017 GE there was the moment after the Manchester bombing where Corbyn said that UK foreign policy had a role to play and it turned out the public agreed despite the media saying they wouldn't

And then everyone just immediately went back to pretending you cant ever lead the public on anything and can only ever chase yesterday's votes

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I fully support this terrible policy, but unlike the Prime Minister I feel a bit bad about it

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Angepain posted:

I fully support this terrible policy, but unlike the Prime Minister I feel a bit bad about it

God loving drat it we really are back to this already aren't we. Tories but with a sad face.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's possible. There's definitely things that have been with humans since consciousness (and probably before) like nightmares, night terrors, panic, delusion, hallucination, and psychedelic drugs.

Culture and memories just changed what fit into those experiences.

Aliens and ghosts are biblically haram, so Bush-era Evangelicals would see fallen angels. But the angels were more Renaissance art/Hallmark figurine angels than the arrays of wheels covered in eyes that the Bible guys said they saw.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

people had delusions/hallucinations of images projected onto walls well before we had projectors and televisions.
People have been having fun with projecting images onto walls since Plato's cave though, and projectionists often cast themselves as magic men, so maybe the delusions went back to that.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Angepain posted:

please stop leaking the 2024 manifesto

amazing thread

https://twitter.com/York_Minster/status/1278278122576719873?s=20

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

XMNN posted:

please stop leaking the 2024 manifesto
I know it impossible to predict whats going to happen in four years time but I do think both of these will be true with absolute certainty;

1) The manifesto is going to eschew policy in favour of appeals to "values" and other meaningless waffle so much that you won't be able to read it without your brain trickling out of your nose.

2) Every person that told you over the past 5 years why under Corbyn they cannot in good conscience vote for Labour will be telling you that if you vote for anyone other than Labour you're a Tory.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gorn Myson posted:

2) Every person that told you over the past 5 years why under Corbyn they cannot in good conscience vote for Labour will be telling you that if you vote for anyone other than Labour you're a Tory.
Nah, half of them are going to be saying that under Starmer they cannot in good conscience vote for Labour, and how as a traditional Northern Labour voter they'll be off voting Tory again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Someone in #ukgoons just got one of these

https://imgur.com/a/GD20pMv