Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

I can't remember the name of the material and it's on the tip of my tongue and annoying me, but it came on sheets of cellulose with a recurring printers' pattern of dots or lines or letters, and would be cut to shape by hand with a scalpel and overlaid on the line drawing to make the image, so that must have been a loving pain to do multiple times, although I guess better than the earlier method of doing it by hand.

Zip-a-Tone and LetraTone were the big ones, used by graphic designers and artists.

e; Oh god.

200 miles is 2/5 of the distance the Proclaimers would walk, before walking 500 more, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

People have been having fun with projecting images onto walls since Plato's cave though, and projectionists often cast themselves as magic men, so maybe the delusions went back to that.

I'm like 99% certain the first shadow puppetry ever will have been some guy standing in front of the fire and using a stick to make his shadow look like it has a huge dong

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

At this rate starmer's gonna support the government more reliably than their literal benches.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Firos posted:

God loving drat it we really are back to this already aren't we. Tories but with a sad face.

I'm hoping against hope that after the inevitable runaway Tory win in 2024, those Labour members who bought the 'electability' line might finally realise they need to swing back to the left in a more meaningful way. The committed Blairites won't, of course, and the party machinery will still be a huge issue, but assuming you're a well-intentioned kind of person who wants Labour to win but after 2019 despairingly felt like holding your nose and supporting Starmer was necessary to achieve this, I don't see how you don't put two and two together. Labour's votes have been collapsing since, what, the mid-2000s, with 2017 being anomalous, I wonder what the difference was there.

If Labour's seats go:

2001 (Blair): 413
2007 (Blair): 355
2010 (Brown): 258
2015 (Miliband): 232
2017 (Corbyn): 262
2019 (Corbyn - after capitulating to the 'moderates' on Brexit): 202
20(24) (Starmer) - Anything less than Miliband in 2015

Then I really just do not see how you can possibly, with the best will in the world, continue to believe in centrist garbage unless you're a committed centrist/neolib ideologue. I'm gritting my teeth and holding on in Labour until the next election + its aftermath because I believe that there's solid ground for a significant left resurgence (and a wiser, less naive left resurgence) in the wake of electoral catastrophe I think is likely, and we need to be there and ready to seize the opportunity. If this happens and the next leader is another hand-wringing liberal I'm out, 100%

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

ThomasPaine posted:

I believe that there's solid ground for a significant left resurgence (and a wiser, less naive left resurgence) in the wake of electoral catastrophe I think is likely, and we need to be there and ready to seize the opportunity. If this happens and the next leader is another hand-wringing liberal I'm out, 100%

Even if Labour loses seats at the next election it will be blamed on the poisonous legacy of Stalinist Hitler Corbyn

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
somebody put starmer's hair on :effort: and make the button say "opposition". i would but y'know, :effort:

(also don't buy any emotes until we can be sure the money won't go to lowtax, obvs)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The first nightmare I remember having was that I was a baby that Herman Munster was walking towards and that was all in sepia, and that was considerably before I knew what the gently caress sepia was.

I also have a recurring semi-nightmare that I get whenever I have a high fever and that flits between sepia and really bright Wizard of Oz Technicolor. I wonder how much this sort of thing is influenced by the media we consume and the way it plays with this sort of visual language? Did nightmares start changing as mass media became a thing?

I used to have a recurring nightmare that a large boulder was rolling down a country lane, Indiana Jones style. Was it chasing me? No, for some reason i had a birds eye view

And by recurring i mean it was like a 5-second video on a loop. As well as regular

And it was in black and white

Brains are weird.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Firos posted:

God loving drat it we really are back to this already aren't we. Tories but with a sad face.

Back to it? I don’t remember labour ever being this useless. Not even in the blairite days.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm hoping against hope that after the inevitable runaway Tory win in 2024, those Labour members who bought the 'electability' line might finally realise they need to swing back to the left in a more meaningful way. The committed Blairites won't, of course, and the party machinery will still be a huge issue, but assuming you're a well-intentioned kind of person who wants Labour to win but after 2019 despairingly felt like holding your nose and supporting Starmer was necessary to achieve this, I don't see how you don't put two and two together. Labour's votes have been collapsing since, what, the mid-2000s, with 2017 being anomalous, I wonder what the difference was there.

If Labour's seats go:

2001 (Blair): 413
2007 (Blair): 355
2010 (Brown): 258
2015 (Miliband): 232
2017 (Corbyn): 262
2019 (Corbyn - after capitulating to the 'moderates' on Brexit): 202
20(24) (Starmer) - Anything less than Miliband in 2015

Then I really just do not see how you can possibly, with the best will in the world, continue to believe in centrist garbage unless you're a committed centrist/neolib ideologue. I'm gritting my teeth and holding on in Labour until the next election + its aftermath because I believe that there's solid ground for a significant left resurgence (and a wiser, less naive left resurgence) in the wake of electoral catastrophe I think is likely, and we need to be there and ready to seize the opportunity. If this happens and the next leader is another hand-wringing liberal I'm out, 100%

crispix posted:

Even if Labour loses seats at the next election it will be blamed on the poisonous legacy of Stalinist Hitler Corbyn

It's this. THe story won't be about policies it'll be about Corbynite entryists costing Labour momentum when they leave because labour stopped being even close to good.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Regarde Aduck posted:

Back to it? I don’t remember labour ever being this useless. Not even in the blairite days.

Nah Miliband was this bad too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Miiband was a good guy trying his best with absolutely turbo-shite advisors.

Starmer is just a bad guy.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Miliband was crap, but I feel like he was at his best when he ignored his handlers and said what he meant. If he'd just ran on his own ideas and energy he could've won. He was establishment enough to not get the same savaging that Corbyn got, plus I don't think the press had gone quite so mad at that point, they just wrote anti-semitic stuff about him having ((two kitchens)) and being a ((north london geek)) and his dad hating britain. just normal anti-jewish blood libel stuff

winegums fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 1, 2020

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

sebzilla posted:

I'm like 99% certain the first shadow puppetry ever will have been some guy standing in front of the fire and using a stick to make his shadow look like it has a huge dong

I think you mean using his dong to make his shadow look like it has a small stick

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Nah, he sucks poo poo.

quote:

Ed Miliband: Starmer was right to sack Rebecca Long-Bailey
Former Labour leader says Long-Bailey is not antisemitic but made an error of judgment

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

winegums posted:

Miliband was crap, but I feel like he was at his best when he ignored his handlers and said what he meant. If he'd just ran on his own ideas and energy he could've won. He was establishment enough to not get the same savaging that Corbyn got, plus I don't think the press had gone quite so mad at that point, they just wrote anti-semitic stuff about him having ((two kitchens)) and being a ((north london geek)) and his dad hating britain. just normal anti-jewish blood libel stuff

having ed balls as his shadow chancellor didn't help

for all that he is now a meme he loving sucks

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sinky posted:

Nah, he sucks poo poo.

That's not exactly poo poo. He's saying the important thing, which is that RLB is not anti-Semitic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

Probably :v:

I figure we were never afraid of our shadows, because otherwise we'd be lovely persistence hunters, but we were probably wary of the shadows from the first time we built a campfire, because those shadows move, and that's weird at night even when you know what's going on, motion in the peripheral vision at night heightens alertness, heightened alertness can misfire and make shadow people, black dogs, etc.

The other weird thing that fires can do during the day is generate heat haze, which can sometimes cast shadows in strong light, but I can't find a good example so gently caress it here's a mug of tea or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=relIFB2c5TY

Shadows from heat haze from fires look an awful lot like the descriptions of some early djinn.

I can't wait for Finkel's The First Ghosts to come out.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, I'm staying in Labour for now, because there's currently no viable alternative outside of the party and I don't see the point in exchanging reduced Left influence in Labour for no Left influence at all. I didn't have huge hopes for Starmer in the 1st place but he's been reliably terrible since he started and I don't believe for a moment that the strategy that's emerging from his actions has any chance of winning seats back. I'll be gritting my teeth and biding my time while I wait for him to fail.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Guavanaut posted:

Probably :v:

I figure we were never afraid of our shadows, because otherwise we'd be lovely persistence hunters, but we were probably wary of the shadows from the first time we built a campfire, because those shadows move, and that's weird at night even when you know what's going on, motion in the peripheral vision at night heightens alertness, heightened alertness can misfire and make shadow people, black dogs, etc.

The other weird thing that fires can do during the day is generate heat haze, which can sometimes cast shadows in strong light, but I can't find a good example so gently caress it here's a mug of tea or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=relIFB2c5TY

Shadows from heat haze from fires look an awful lot like the descriptions of some early djinn.

I can't wait for Finkel's The First Ghosts to come out.

Did you ever see the story about the science lab, I think it was, where people were seeing ghosts and tl;dr they tested it and found that an aircon was spinning at exactly the right speed for the width of the room that set up a standing wave that vibrated people's eyeballs just enough to cause shapes to register in their peripheral vision? poo poo's weird.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

"We need more English speaking commonwealth immigrants!"

* A million Hong Kong chinese show up*

"No, not like this!"

In reality it won't be a huge deal though, BNO eligibility stops after 1997 so many of the young people who have been on the streets won't be able to move, and Tiawan is doing a similar programme and they are alot closer.

if their (grand-)parents are willing to make the move too, they would at least have a theoretical path over as dependents.

what Taiwan's been doing is amazing, but obviously they have to avoid antagonising the PRC. so it's been things like quietly letting tourist visa roll over indefinitely, and setting up a dedicated office to help HKers enrol at universities there or get business visas through the existing channels. they have to publicly stress it's not an open refugee programme.

some of HK's other neighbours are being quite mercenary. Tokyo & Singapore both courting to entice the finance industry over.

even amongst those who'd be eligible for BNO, there are other countries were more popular amongst HKers getting second passports as safety nets. Canada, Australia, USA. a million seems wildly optimistic for how many might even be interested in coming to the UK.

it's been a long time coming, but this is really a shameful day for the world.
gently caress the PRC

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Isomermaid posted:

Did you ever see the story about the science lab, I think it was, where people were seeing ghosts and tl;dr they tested it and found that an aircon was spinning at exactly the right speed for the width of the room that set up a standing wave that vibrated people's eyeballs just enough to cause shapes to register in their peripheral vision? poo poo's weird.

Good thing that happened in a science lab

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Isomermaid posted:

I remember that. In the version I read they only noticed it when one guy in the fencing club put his epee in a lab vice to square it or something and it started vibrating like a tuning fork.

I'd bet this is something that has entered into lab lore with a million different variations, but that doesn't make it a lie. The one about people just passing out and coming to on the floor and getting up and repeating is true, but I've heard it with and without the bit where they only figured out what was going on because they spoke and had a mickey mouse voice (helium leak had made the upper half of the lab oxygen deficient). The one about the lawnmower cutting out just outside the magnet lab is true too, but half the resolutions to that sound like stdh.

e: looks like blade is canon

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 1, 2020

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

winegums posted:

when I was first heard about the media hysteria about his "two kitchens" I thought it was a subtle dig about him actually being rich and combining two houses together or something , its only after a while I realised it was an absolute dog whistle

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Cerv posted:

if their (grand-)parents are willing to make the move too, they would at least have a theoretical path over as dependents.

what Taiwan's been doing is amazing, but obviously they have to avoid antagonising the PRC. so it's been things like quietly letting tourist visa roll over indefinitely, and setting up a dedicated office to help HKers enrol at universities there or get business visas through the existing channels. they have to publicly stress it's not an open refugee programme.

some of HK's other neighbours are being quite mercenary. Tokyo & Singapore both courting to entice the finance industry over.

even amongst those who'd be eligible for BNO, there are other countries were more popular amongst HKers getting second passports as safety nets. Canada, Australia, USA. a million seems wildly optimistic for how many might even be interested in coming to the UK.

it's been a long time coming, but this is really a shameful day for the world.
gently caress the PRC

even if 50k come to the uk, that is a large town worth of people to prop up our housing market. might be more when trump gets four more years

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
so Universal Credit have reminded everyone today that they have to meet their job search commitments

also today
https://twitter.com/TomBoadle/status/1278303366427348992

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

sinky posted:

so Universal Credit have reminded everyone today that they have to meet their job search commitments

also today
https://twitter.com/TomBoadle/status/1278303366427348992

I'm on UC and got a call from them last week, but it was just to ask what I did before the virus, whether I'd go back to doing it, and if I needed any help getting back into it. They said they'd call again in a few months if I still hadn't gotten back into my industry (freelance film and TV work). Not any talk of job search commitments or any emphasis put on rushing me back to work in whatever sector.

But I've had such varied experiences with the job centre that I'm not surprised they're calling people about that.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Where can we see your previous stuff

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Never, ever tell anyone administering UC that you need "help" because in my experience by help they mean helping you decide suicide is preferable

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

sinky posted:

Isn't that just for people who were already on it when Corona hit, because Tories are loving monsters? Only thing I've had through off them is 'tell us how much you earned in the last month', same as the last 2 months.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
I think I signed up just before the lockdown but after it was clear everything was hosed. They've called twice and I've just said I'm still looking.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, Goons really aren't paranoid enough is my take.

nobody is mate

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Has anyone posted Nick Clegg getting ratioed?!

https://twitter.com/nick_clegg/status/1278341526209224710?s=20

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

He has a job at Facebook - he's a professional shill for them who was once a politician.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/RealBobMortimer/status/1278295905721102336

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure drawing a separation between nick clegg's political career and "a professional shill" is merited.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Imagine going from being deputy prime minister to getting 51 likes on your twitter posts lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Weren't the coalition years just the lib dems collectively getting 51 likes on their governance if you think about it? Then getting extremely ratioed at the election.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, I'm staying in Labour for now, because there's currently no viable alternative outside of the party and I don't see the point in exchanging reduced Left influence in Labour for no Left influence at all. I didn't have huge hopes for Starmer in the 1st place but he's been reliably terrible since he started and I don't believe for a moment that the strategy that's emerging from his actions has any chance of winning seats back. I'll be gritting my teeth and biding my time while I wait for him to fail.

I think he could win. Why not? He's poo poo enough. He does have a path to victory by diverting soft tories away from bojo.
Though to be clear I could also see him eating poo poo utterly as he pisses off both sides.

It's just if he doesn't represent the political views I support I won't vote for him. Given that your personal vote mostly means gently caress all the least you can do is not vote for what you don't want. It's purely symbolic anyway.
The last 2 elections my votes have been pointless votes for loser Scottish Labour, who I hate, to symbolically support Corbyn.

If he wins me over by 20whenever, fine. It doesn't look like theyr gonna try though I think it's us lot out on our arse like we shoulda and woulda done to them.
I don't think they should be in the left wing party but I don't blame them other than that, it's what you should do to your political opponents.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I signed up for UC just after the official 'lockdown' started and I've just ignored their calls ever since, still getting paid my £400/month fortune like the dirty scrounger I am. They've not bothered to tell me to get off my arse at all so far.

Communist Thoughts posted:

I think he could win. Why not? He's poo poo enough. He does have a path to victory by diverting soft tories away from bojo.
Though to be clear I could also see him eating poo poo utterly as he pisses off both sides.

It's just if he doesn't represent the political views I support I won't vote for him. Given that your personal vote mostly means gently caress all the least you can do is not vote for what you don't want. It's purely symbolic anyway.
The last 2 elections my votes have been pointless votes for loser Scottish Labour, who I hate, to symbolically support Corbyn.

If he wins me over by 20whenever, fine. It doesn't look like theyr gonna try though I think it's us lot out on our arse like we shoulda and woulda done to them.
I don't think they should be in the left wing party but I don't blame them other than that, it's what you should do to your political opponents.

You don't have to vote for Starmer if you're a member of Labour, despite the official party line, thanks to secret ballots. If anything, contributing to a Labour defeat while he's in charge while retaining the power to shape the party internally is the Correct thing to do, though I appreciate why people would be unwilling to send money to the leadership for that period. It's on balance a trade-off I am willing to make, because my tiny financial contribution is minuscule and I feel that giving up a stake in the only mainstream party capable of - as in 2017 - effectively mobilising socialism at the national level would be pointless self-indulgence. But no, I absolutely do not plan on voting for them at an election while he's in charge, unless my local candidate is particularly good.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The Joseph Rowntree Foundation has a new report out looking specifically at the choices made by low-income voters at the last election. The headline takeway:

quote:

While Labour enjoyed a lead among low-income voters as recently as 2017, this has disappeared. Despite being in office for nearly a decade, in 2019 the Conservatives established a 15-point lead over Labour among people on low incomes. It is the first time in recorded history that the Conservative Party has outpolled Labour among people on low incomes.

We are officially living in Bizarro World. Labour's support base relies on wealthy voters as much as poor voters; and poor voters strongly prefer the Tories. Not even Thatcher managed that.

The given reasons are nothing that we haven't heard before; these voters don't necessarily think the Tories will improve their economic lot, but they do align better with them on Brexit, immigration, and other social issues, and hey, maybe Bozza Legernd will spend a bit of cash after all while he's getting us free of Brussels. Labour's got about three years to figure out how to reach these voters; there is no path to victory that doesn't lead through the constituencies where they can swing the result one way or another. On the other hand, I am reminded somewhat of the result in 1997, where "no way should this seat ever go red" seats started going red, before quietly flipping back blue in 2001 and 2005 once the stink of John Major started washing away. The Tories are well down on their polling high and there's some hope that perhaps inertia can bring some of these votes back...but enough even for a hung Parliament? That seems like a taller order at the moment.