Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Carbolic posted:

The mayor of Carmel, California from 1986-88.

Crooow! posted:

Clint Eastwood

Huh. Now I'm wondering what the rationale was. Jenner and Owens at least had a whole athletics theme to them.

Clint Eastwood is high maintenance and breaks down a lot?

Its useless? But not for long.

The future is coming on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Clint is pretty notorious for having an ammo feed that jams constantly, is prone to breaking down, and it was built using virtually no standardized parts to make the buyer beholden to the manufacturer to keep it working. Which was all well and good for the manufacturer until the Succession Wars obliterated the Clint factory and everyone even tangentially associated with it (as well as the original blueprints for the Clint).

It's basically the iPhone of BattleMechs, it's nearly as notorious as the Charger and far more rare.

The old 4th edition box gave it some great art, though:

Also featuring: the first example of an MWDA-style external ammo feed!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 28, 2020

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Huh. Now I'm wondering what the rationale was. Jenner and Owens at least had a whole athletics theme to them.

Clint Eastwood is high maintenance and breaks down a lot?

I am feeling really old here...

Eastwood, from his younger days, is well-known for playing gunslingers in Western films. See for example the Man With No Name.

Autocannon in the Clint's hand - you presumably get the connection.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Carbolic posted:

I am feeling really old here...

Eastwood, from his younger days, is well-known for playing gunslingers in Western films. See for example the Man With No Name.

Autocannon in the Clint's hand - you presumably get the connection.

No I know I figured there was something more.

handheld guns on mechs kinda predate it and autocannons in the right arm aren't exactly unique to the point where the Clint isn't even the first example I'd think o---

gently caress

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
3025 is full of references.

The Spider may have gotten a lot better at hiding the fact that it's a Spider Man reference these days, but its 3060s upgrade is still the Venom. :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I should say I'm not against references, what's really dumb is having the characters all talk about them like 19th century Earth history events are things everyone things about all the time. Like the Spider is a Spider-Man reference, but it's never made explicit. The in-universe reason for the name is the way it can twitch in the air while jumping to avoid fire. Nobody ever goes "we put up posters comparing you to Peter Parker because you drive a Spider."

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Exactly: it's the difference between "oh ho ho, I see what they were doing there" vs. a literal shout out in the text like "named after a door to door encyclopedia salesman from Skokie Illinois in ancient Terra..."

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I still enjoy the demolitionmech's chassis designation.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm not in disagreement and I'm certainly not defending Pardoe.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Whose references are worse (setting aside the obvious shithead politics of Pardoe): that the ACW is important enough to be used as a recruiting tool, or just repeating the watermelon bit from Buckaroo Banzai word for word?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Natasha "The Black Widow" Romanova Kerensky. :v:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Even 'Kerensky' is a weird historical reference

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What about naming actual Deep Periphery polities "the Hanseatic League," "Nueva Castile," and "the Umayyad Caliphate"?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Very dumb, but the Scorps have already done away with two of them and it looks like they're aiming to finish out the set.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
None of the historical references will ever annoy me as much as the ranks of Major General and Lieutenant General being swapped.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
The whole setting makes very little sense if you let it get away from "its an excuse for robots to fight"

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I played a game of Megamek which implies that mechs make a pilot test if they take 20 or more damage, I don't see that in the Armored combat rules.

I read the succession wars chaos campaign and why do they have a bunch of rules for drop podding into a planet if none of the tracks use that?

How does salvage work?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baron Porkface posted:

I played a game of Megamek which implies that mechs make a pilot test if they take 20 or more damage, I don't see that in the Armored combat rules.

The PSR is basically to see if they fall over from taking so much damage, they also stack if you somehow end up taking like 40+ damage in a single round.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Right but i don;t see any reference to that in the core set rules.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Baron Porkface posted:

Right but i don;t see any reference to that in the core set rules.

The rules in the box set are the Fast Play rules. Total Warfare is the core rules. BattleTech has been around forever and has a lot of play levels / rules levels.

Fast Play is the slimmed down, bare minimum ruleset to introduce new players to the game.

Total Warfare is the complete core rules with all the bells and whistles, but there's a lot to remember so it's better to look into it after you have a solid grasp of the Fast Play rules. This is the ruleset that MegaMek uses.

BattleMech Manual is the core rules, but for playing with 'Mechs only (no vehicle or infantry rules). BMM also contains some optional rules to make 'Mech vs. 'Mech only more interesting.

Tactical Operations / Strategic Operations are books of optional rules to spice up the game, they're as big as Total Warfare itself but you don't need any of them for the complete game experience. TacOps adds more options for the tabletop game, while StratOps is more of a campaign guidebook.

Then, there's the OTHER game. Alpha Strike is a different (but similar) game set in the same universe designed to let you run large numbers of 'Mechs quickly (and was designed for play without hex maps, but you can bring hex maps back in very easily by halving every 'Mech's movement value and conforming to the hex map). Even though many of the rules can be very similar it is a completely different game and has its own set of optional rules as well.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 1, 2020

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Well that's annoying. And adds further mystery to why anyone would buy The Battletech Manual.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 1, 2020

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The BattleMech Manual does have the rules for the 20+ damage PSR, it's on the piloting skill rolls table on page 54. Page 53 explains that most every entry on that table causes a PSR (I actually consider it an editing failure that they don't clearly make the few that don't). If multiple entries on that table happen in the same turn you roll 1 PSR for each. So if a 'Mech takes 20 damage, a gyro hit, and foot actuator damage that 'Mech rolls 3 PSRs until it either passes all of them or one of them knocks it down.

The 20+ damage PSR does not stack. It's a +1 even if the 'Mech takes 120+ damage in one turn. There is a scaling version of this as an optional rule, which the BMM includes on page 55! :pseudo:

Edit: However, and this is important, I view any rule that you don't enjoy to be optional unless ignoring it makes the game unplayable. You can ignore (or forget!) a lot of the game's rules and still play a complete game. As long as you had fun you weren't playing incorrectly.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 1, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baron Porkface posted:

Well that's annoying. And adds further mystery to why anyone would buy The Battletech Manual.

Battletech has basically a Mt. Everest of rules that you and pick at choose from depending on how grognard-y you want to get with it.

For example!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The 20+ damage PSR does not stack. It's a +1 even if the 'Mech takes 120+ damage in one turn. There is a scaling version of this as an optional rule, which the BMM includes on page 55! :pseudo:

Ah, my bad. I always played with the stacking PSR rule.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are there any other basic combat rules changes between Armored Combat and BMM/Total Warfare I should know about when playing Megamek or reading Poptarts LP?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I run a lot of house rules to make playing BattleTech on the forums easier on myself. Normally critical hits are rolled the instant an attack scores one, but adding the roll to every attack would clutter up the screen and make it harder to see what 'Mech has taken what critical damage. I save them until later to keep the display clean and so I can ignore any crits on sections that got blown off. Likewise, I usually ignore the PSR for running on pavement, and there are several other "core" rules I've either modified or ignore outright.

So long as you know the basics of Move -> Attack -> Melee (-> Cooldown -> End Phase) you'll be fine. I've never actually shown the cooldown phase in the LP, I include the weapon heat / overheat right when the attacks happen so readers can see the cause->effect immediately, but I'm still applying the heat at the end of the turn like I'm supposed to. :shobon:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Battletech has basically a Mt. Everest of rules that you and pick at choose from depending on how grognard-y you want to get with it.

Even if you go hardcore I don't see a reason to pay for BMM instead of getting more for Total Warfare.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 1, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know a lot of people that only play with battlemechs :shrug:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

But both books have the same price. One has more stuff.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Catalyst Game Labs is a very strange company.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Taintrunner posted:

Catalyst Game Labs is a very strange company.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To be fair, I carry a lot of poo poo to Battletech meets, and would probably try to only carry the slimmer version if I was tight on space.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ I don't even bring the rulebooks anymore, I run Alpha Strike from memory with my tabletop players. If we have any rules questions we jot them down for next week and keep playing as-is.

To get every one of the "frequently used" optional rules listed in the BMM you'd need Total Warfare, Tactical Operations, and Strategic Operations which is 3x the price. Plus, no other manual contains the complete list of 'Mech quirks and which 'Mech they apply to. Since 'mech quirks are usually fun (unless they're loving over your favorite unit, if they are give it a good quirk to compensate) and the only place you can get them all together is the BMM.

Catalyst still wants to sell the Total Warfare books if they can, but for what it lets you do (run 'Mechs) the BMM does its job pretty well.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 1, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Skidding rules in urban games are a nightmare of bloat. Check the skid modifier, oh he skidded into a building, check the construction factor rules, roll for collapse, look up damage for collapses, roll for basements, look up fall damage rules for falling two levels, roll hit locations for those, check pilot consciousness...all because somebody decided to run around a corner.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That said the above procedure did produce one of the most memorably unlikely turn one kills I’ve ever seen, and therein I guess lies the paradox.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Skid into building, building has a basement, skidding damage was enough to collapse the building hex, 'Mech in basement instantly killed by collapsing building?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait... you have to check and see for basements? This is new to me.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

General Battuta posted:

Skidding rules in urban games are a nightmare of bloat. Check the skid modifier, oh he skidded into a building, check the construction factor rules, roll for collapse, look up damage for collapses, roll for basements, look up fall damage rules for falling two levels, roll hit locations for those, check pilot consciousness...all because somebody decided to run around a corner.

CityTech: Do not run, walk swiftly.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Skid into building, building has a basement, skidding damage was enough to collapse the building hex, 'Mech in basement instantly killed by collapsing building?

Almost dead on, but with an even better elaboration, he fell into a triple basement on his head and knocked himself out.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Taintrunner posted:

Wait... you have to check and see for basements? This is new to me.

I mean... you don't HAVE to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Baron Porkface posted:

Page 40 has the section for taking a PSR if you took 20 or more damage in a phase. It's the very first modifier listed on the table on page 41.

Baron Porkface posted:

I read the succession wars chaos campaign and why do they have a bunch of rules for drop podding into a planet if none of the tracks use that?

BattleTech has, and has always had, a contingent of fans that want rules for literally everything that has ever been mentioned in a book, and they will loudly complain until that happens. This is something that happens in books occasionally and is genuinely cool, so it has rules for it even if none of the default tracks include their use, because the assumption is that eventually players will start to modify tracks so they stay fresh.

Baron Porkface posted:

How does salvage work?

In long and complicated fashion. Units that are destroyed in combat may not be rendered totally unusable. If you destroy a 'Mech's left arm but don't land a critical hit on the... for example's sake we'll go with PPC that's mounted there, if you control the battlefield at the end of the game there's a good chance your techs can take the arm with you, and rip the PPC out of its mounting to use somewhere else.

'Mechs that are destroyed by any of the following methods are totally destroyed and don't even leave debris to pick up:

- Artillery/Area of Effect damage that destroys the center torso
- Ammunition Explosions that destroy the center torso

'Mechs that are destroyed by losing their last point of center torso structure to damage not one of the above two ways can still have components and any armor left stripped, but can't be refurbished or put back into the field.

'Mechs that are destroyed by any of the following methods can be repaired and pressed back into service:

- Head destroyed
- Pilot killed
- Pilot ejected
- 3x engine hits or locations with cumulatively three engine locations are destroyed

If you're using Strat Ops rules, it takes loving forever to put something back into service and literally hundreds of 2d6 rolls to repair/replace everything, and it's best tracked through MekHQ or not at all. If you're using Chaos Campaign it's just a resource cost of some kind, I haven't actually used it before.

Vehicles can only be salvaged if they are destroyed by the destruction of the turret location, or the crew killed critical hit result, if the crew bails out, and I think technically if a VTOLs rotor gets shot off and the crash wasn't enough to totally destroy it.

Aerospace fighters are drat near impossible to salvage and the odds of getting one that you didn't shoot down and subsequently recover the ballistic wreckage in space are vanishingly small.

Battle armor suits are just a flat 2d6 roll against I think a 10+ to see if the suit survived its catastrophic damage.